• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Am Going to Be in Atlanta for About a Week. Dh Has a Business Class

In summary, the hotel is north of 285 near Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Nearby are Perimeter Mall, Phipps Plaza, and Lenox Mall. The Hilton Suites Atlanta Perimeter is a great location. There are lots of things to do in the area, including La Madeleine for breakfast or lunch. You should definitely go to Dante's Dantes Down The Hatch for an excellent dinner. If you want to drop a good chunk of change for an excellent dinner, go to Emeril's near Phipps Plaza.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
I am going to be in Atlanta for about a week. DH has a business class and I'm tagging along. I'd like some suggestions for what I can do during the day while he's in class. The hotel is north of 285 near Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Anyone near there? Want to do lunch?

You'll be near Perimeter Mall - great shopping and eating. You're also not far from Phipps Plaza & Lenox Mall - more great shopping and eating! What kinds of things do you want to do? Shop, eat, museums, site see, touristy stuff? Do you know that area? Will you have the car during the day and are you comfortable driving in traffic? Let me know what you like to do and I'll think of some things for you. I can't meet you (DH has to take a trip back home and see his mom), but I can give you lots of suggestions.

pamperedlinda said:
You'll be near Perimeter Mall - great shopping and eating. You're also not far from Phipps Plaza & Lenox Mall - more great shopping and eating! What kinds of things do you want to do? Shop, eat, museums, site see, touristy stuff? Do you know that area? Will you have the car during the day and are you comfortable driving in traffic? Let me know what you like to do and I'll think of some things for you. I can't meet you (DH has to take a trip back home and see his mom), but I can give you lots of suggestions.
I will have a car. Not thrilled with lots of traffic in an area I don't know but since I won't be rushed it will probably be okay. Want to do? Shop some, lunch, see things of interest. I don't know? What's available.

DH and I will want to do some things together in the evening too. We arrive on a Tuesday evening (probably too late to do anything) and will head home on Friday late afternoon or right after rush hour so I have 2 full days and 2 evenings with dh to plan. I will also be planning my team meeting while there.

Which hotel are you going to be in or which road is it on? You said Sandy Springs/Dunwoody so I'm thinking you are going to be somewhere between Roswell Road and Ashford/Dunwoody Road?

Near Perimeter Mall are some great restaurants: Cheesecake Factory, Maggianos, I love eating at the cafe in Nordstrom's too (have only eaten lunch there). If you want a fun dining experience drive into Buckhead (south of Lenox) and go to Dante's Down the Hatch, it's a fondu restaurant that's decorated like a bayeaux & riverboat. They have a jazz band that plays nightly. It's a very ecclectic place. One of the really fun things is in the Ladies restroom - there is a large mirror and when you stand in front of it lightning strikes abd there is a mannequin/hag dressed like a southern belle and she's sitting at a dressing table, the recording laughs this really wicked laugh at you and says somehting like "you think you're so pretty.....no-one is a as pretty as me!" or something like that - fun.

I'll think of more places for you to go.

Warning - traffic is always bad here - especially the part of town where you will be. So, let me know what road you'll be staying on/near and I'll try and give you some places where you won't have to drive very far. If you'll be near a train station that might be an option too.

We are staying at the Hilton Suites Atlanta Perimeter, 6120 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd Ne

Dante's sounds great! I will definitely look into that.

Oh you are in a great location! 6120 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30328, USA - Google Maps

You are right behind Perimeter mall and there are tons of things to do in that area. You should definatley go to La Madeleine http://www.lamadeleine.com/ for breakfast or lunch one day - yummo!

Ask the hotel for the best directions to Dante's Dantes Down The Hatch - A jazz and fondue experience - you will probably want to make resvervations

If you want to drop a good chunk of change for an excellent dinner go to Emeril's near Phipps Plaza http://www.emerils.com/restaurants/atlanta_emerils/index.html

Thanks Linda! This helps a lot!

I made a reservation for tonight at Dante's Down the Hatch - now the question...

Is it worth the $7 per person entertainment fee to sit on the ship? I am so torn. She said that we shouldn't have any trouble changing it if we want to.

Opinions??

hmmm.....I don't know. I think I sat on the ship once, depending on where they sit you you may or may not be able to see the jazz band. What timne does the music start and what time are your reservations? I would think that on a Wed night you wouldn't have any trouble changing when you get there. If I were you I'd see where they plan to sit you and what the view is like and then see if it's worth it to move. The last time we ate there we were in one of the private little cubby-hole areas and really couldn't see a thing.

I can't wait to hear how you like it. DOn't forget to go to the ladies bathroom and stand in front of the large mirror!

pamperedlinda said:
I can't wait to hear how you like it. DOn't forget to go to the ladies bathroom and stand in front of the large mirror!
That just sounds scary.

I thought I was the only one who cringed when I looked in a big mirror (I swear I need a disclaimer on mine WARNING objects appear larger.....) or maybe you're referring to standing in front of the mirror or having the other "hag" talk back :)

Linda,
If you like the tomato basil soup from LA Madeline let me know I have a great recipe that is better than theirs

Teresa Lynn said:
I thought I was the only one who cringed when I looked in a big mirror (I swear I need a disclaimer on mine WARNING objects appear larger.....) or maybe you're referring to standing in front of the mirror or having the other "hag" talk back :)
I cringe when I look in a LITTLE mirror, too. I can only focus on individual parts - hair OR eyes, but not whole head, etc.

chefann said:
That just sounds scary.
I talked about it in post #4: One of the really fun things is in the Ladies restroom - there is a large mirror and when you stand in front of it lightning strikes abd there is a mannequin/hag dressed like a southern belle and she's sitting at a dressing table, the recording laughs this really wicked laugh at you and says somehting like "you think you're so pretty.....no-one is a as pretty as me!" or something like that - fun.

Teresa Lynn said:
Linda,
If you like the tomato basil soup from LA Madeline let me know I have a great recipe that is better than theirs
I haven't had that (not much of a tomato soup fan) but their quiche is very good and the pastries are awesome!

Teresa Lynn said:
Linda,
I just had the tomato basil soup at Nordstroms today - mmmmm...

Tomorrow Lisa and I are going to LaMadeline for lunch and she mentioned their tomato soup too... guess I'll have to try it too!

Thanks for reminding me about the mirror - I hate mirrors too but I'll check it out anyway! Our reservation is for 7 (wanted to wait until rush hour traffic had died down) so I don't see us having a problem changing tables if we need to... I think I'll let DH decide.

Must have skimmed over your description above, Linda. That does sound pretty funny.

my daughter hates tomatoes and won't eat many things with tomatoes but this is her absolute favorite food

BethCooks4U said:
I just had the tomato basil soup at Nordstroms today - mmmmm...

Tomorrow Lisa and I are going to LaMadeline for lunch and she mentioned their tomato soup too... guess I'll have to try it too!

Thanks for reminding me about the mirror - I hate mirrors too but I'll check it out anyway! Our reservation is for 7 (wanted to wait until rush hour traffic had died down) so I don't see us having a problem changing tables if we need to... I think I'll let DH decide.
Oh, I love eating at the Nordy's cafe! I usually get one of their salads....and a cookie!

BethCooks4U said:
........wanted to wait until rush hour traffic had died down......
Remember, you are in Atlanta - on the north-side of town - that rarely happens.....sorry. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Take a tour around the restaurant before you leave, there have so many nifty decorations. And definately go to the bathroom (I haven't been there in a few years so I hope the mirir hag is still there, she's funny).

pamperedlinda said:
Oh, I love eating at the Nordy's cafe! I usually get one of their salads....and a cookie!
I forgot about the cookies! :cry:

Oh, well, everything else was good except when I walked in they asked what I wanted before I could even see what they had. They acted like I was retarded because I didn't know - then I asked if they had a menu. That helped. I have to say though, once I got past that everyone was SOOOO nice and helpful! And the food was very good.

BethCooks4U said:
I forgot about the cookies! :cry:

Oh, well, everything else was good except when I walked in they asked what I wanted before I could even see what they had. They acted like I was retarded because I didn't know - then I asked if they had a menu. That helped. I have to say though, once I got past that everyone was SOOOO nice and helpful! And the food was very good.
Yes, they do that. I always 'check-out the line' before I get in line.

pamperedlinda said:
Yes, they do that. I always 'check-out the line' before I get in line.
Well, they need to put menus near the door for people who have never eaten there or at least a sign or something...

BethCooks4U said:
Well, they need to put menus near the door for people who have never eaten there or at least a sign or something...
True. I like the visual of how good the food looks on the line. I've also had their pasta and it is so good too.....can you tell that I'm hungry? (I had elementary school lunch today and it was BAD!)

Hey, I didn't tell you guys what a great DH I have!

We are staying in a suite so I was checking out the rooms - very nice I must say!

Well, I commented on how nice the room was and asked him if they always put him up in such nice places (this is a business trip for him and I am just along for the ride - free week in a hotel in a different city) and then I noticed flowers on the desk. I said "Flowers too! Do you usually get flowers in your room?" And then I looked at him and asked if they were FROM him :love: - duh!

It's a beautiful arrangement of 13 red roses!:love: :love: I was totally surprised! He often BRINGS me flowers but doesn't pay for delivery and this isn't a special occasion - well, I am sure it's Valentines Day...

Background story: We were married on a Friday the 13th (June) and on our wedding day he had 13 roses delivered, had 13 roses at the hotel that night and 13 roses in our room at our honeymoon destination (Eagle River, WI - another long story). Whenever he gets me roses he always gets 13.

The only other time he ever had flowers delivered to me was after I promoted to Director and was walking at National Conference - he had them delivered to the hotel - everyone was jealous!:sing:

That is soooooo sweet, Beth. He's a keeper.

June 13 of what year? We were married June 13, 1987

Teresa Lynn said:
June 13 of what year? We were married June 13, 1987
We were married on Friday, June 13, 1986.

We celebrate our anniversary every time the 13th lands on a Friday (no matter what month it is) and sometimes even when Friday the 13th lands on a different day of the week!

Last edited:
Hey Beth, did you make it to Dante's? How was it?

pamperedlinda said:
Hey Beth, did you make it to Dante's? How was it?
Oh, sorry!

We were disapointed in Dante's. It looks like it was great 20 years ago. Kind of dingy, KWIM? We were put at a table where our "view" of the boat was good but it was crammed between two pillars (first thing I did was bump my elbow) and every upstairs waiter went past us a million times and the staging station was just across from us and the squeaking door was slammed over and over. The bathroom witch was broken - you could see her and the control panel and it was hard to hear her - she was activated by the mirror in the entry but we saw her in the mirror by the stall... The food was fine but expensive and all that oil didn't set well in us. Next time we would get a cheese appetizer and dessert instead of main course.

I LOVED La Madeline's though!! It was great. Nice French atmosphere and great food! I also enjoyed Nordstrom's cafe.

...so all in all your suggestions were a hit 2 out of 3! THANKS!

BethCooks4U said:
Oh, sorry!

We were disapointed in Dante's. It looks like it was great 20 years ago. Kind of dingy, KWIM? We were put at a table where our "view" of the boat was good but it was crammed between two pillars (first thing I did was bump my elbow) and every upstairs waiter went past us a million times and the staging station was just across from us and the squeaking door was slammed over and over. The bathroom witch was broken - you could see her and the control panel and it was hard to hear her - she was activated by the mirror in the entry but we saw her in the mirror by the stall... The food was fine but expensive and all that oil didn't set well in us. Next time we would get a cheese appetizer and dessert instead of main course.

I LOVED La Madeline's though!! It was great. Nice French atmosphere and great food! I also enjoyed Nordstrom's cafe.

...so all in all your suggestions were a hit 2 out of 3! THANKS!

Beth, you probably loved La Madeline's because you got to have lunch with me! ;) I too had a very good time! I just don't spend enough time out to lunch with my friends.

So sorry to hear about Dante's. The last time I was there was 5 years ago and it was wonderful! The restaurant has been around for quite some time and has always had a great reputation. At least the other two suggestions were good ones.

Linda,

I'm sure it was just a combination of a lot of things. We didn't hate it by any means.

We should have asked for a different table and thought more about what we ordered - we took the waiter's suggestion but we don't eat a lot of "oily" food and had we thought we would have gone with the cheese & chocolate.

We also had some misgivings when neither the hotel nor the restraurant could give us landmarks before we even went (we did have mapquest directions but that was it). Our hotel was only maybe 2 miles from the place.

It really wasn't the place - I think it is a good place and I would go back now that I know what to look out for!:rolleyes:

And, Lisa, you're right - getting together with friends always makes it more fun! And it was great having that time with you! - but I did love the place too. :p

1. What are some things to do in Atlanta near Sandy Springs and Dunwoody?

Some popular activities in the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody area include shopping at Perimeter Mall, visiting the Dunwoody Nature Center, and exploring the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area.

2. Are there any good restaurants in the area for lunch?

Yes, there are plenty of great lunch options in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Some popular choices include The Cheesecake Factory, J. Alexander's, and Uncle Julio's Mexican Restaurant.

3. Is there public transportation available to get around Atlanta?

Yes, there is a MARTA bus stop near Sandy Springs and Dunwoody that can take you to various parts of Atlanta. You can also take the MARTA train from Sandy Springs Station for a quick trip into the city.

4. Can you recommend any outdoor activities in the area?

Absolutely! The Big Trees Forest Preserve is a beautiful spot for hiking and enjoying nature. You can also visit the Atlanta History Center, which has both indoor and outdoor exhibits.

5. Are there any popular attractions or landmarks near the hotel?

Yes, there are several popular attractions near Sandy Springs and Dunwoody, including the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, and the Atlanta Botanical Garden. You can also take a short drive to visit Stone Mountain Park or Six Flags Over Georgia.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates