• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Remove Fish Odor from a Large Bar Pan?

In summary, the smell from baking fish on a new LG Bar Pan will not go away. The taste also transferred to pizza dough. Baking soda paste may help remove the smell.
lauraP2000
Help - I baked fish on my new Lg Bar Pan and the smell won't go away. A fishy taste also transferred to the next thing I baked on it - pizza dough. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the odor?

have you tried a baking soda paste?

I use the baking soda paste to get off any extra grease or when I think my stone needs to be really clean. Works like a charm!

Is the paste just a mixture of baking soda & water? HOw long do you let it sit on there for? My aunt just told me that she made bacon on hers & the next time she used it to make cookies they tasted like bacon.:eek:

I did try the baking soda paste but perhaps didn't leave it on long enough, because it made no difference. I was hoping the pizza dough would soak up the taste, but after washing the stone I can tell it still smells like fish.

I think you should call HO. I tell my customers that they can cook fish and cookies and fish again without using soap. I don't want to hear anyone say that isn't true because their stone smells of fish.

missiemom said:
Is the paste just a mixture of baking soda & water? HOw long do you let it sit on there for? My aunt just told me that she made bacon on hers & the next time she used it to make cookies they tasted like bacon.:eek:

Really? My stone is the only way I cook bacon and have been cooking a lot of it lately and haven't had any issues. Though I do line it with parchment paper (for cleaning ease) so maybe that's why?

When my round stone was sticky, I laid the baking soda to the wet stone and then gently wet the baking soda and left it for a good long time, probably an hour or more. Then scrubbed it with a wet kitchen brush and it worked like a charm and it smelled fresh too (not that it smelled bad, but it just totally perked it up).

I think the trick is to use something more "neutral" to season your stone - like cookies, or crescent rolls.....and then once it's seasoned, you can do the stronger tasting foods w/o them leaving an odor or flavor. (Now, that is just my own little theory!;) )

I use mine for bacon too & have never had a problem. I just wonder if she used bacon right from the butcher since she is a farmer. That is usaully a thicker cut & has a lot more flavor than store bought bacon.

I've been doing thick cut peppered bacon from Schwann's - without parchment paper :eek: (Had no clue ...)

Anyway, I've made cookies right after - well, as soon as it was cooled and cleaned - and not had an issue.

I'd call the HO. I was under the impression that even a new stone would not absorb odors.

When my stones are extra greasy (after Bacon) or dirty I rinse them with the hottest water I can. Slather with baking soda paste (just baking soda and water) and let it sit for a while. then I scrub and rinse with the kitchen brush.

I also have (although it's not reccomended by HO) put stones in my DW without soap and let it run on a hot cycle. Figure that hot water will take care of just about anything.

I have never had an issue with flavors transfering

Try just baking some generic crescent rolls or biscuits, bake as usual and then toss them away in the trash. The rolls will absorb any of the crud so you won't want to eat them.

Now my husband washed it with soap (i found that out in the cookies i made the next day!) do u think the soda paste would work on that??

Don't know, but it's worth a try! After all, it's not going to hurt anything.

lauraP2000 said:
Help - I baked fish on my new Lg Bar Pan and the smell won't go away. A fishy taste also transferred to the next thing I baked on it - pizza dough. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the odor?

Is that the first thing you used on it? If so, I would definitely try the above mentioned tip of baking crescent rolls (then throw them away) and season it a few times with something mild before cooking fish on it again.

Let us know how it goes! That is an interesting problem....

lauraP2000 said:

I have also took a half of a fresh lime. Squeeze the juice out on it, and you can even rub the lime all over the stone.... Than take your kitchen brush and scrub scrub, scrub. Let lime juice sit a few minutes and rinse and scrub with hot water and kitchen brush.... I started doing this when I get a sticky stone from oil build up or taste transfers and it works like a charm. Also will not transfer lime taste to anything after.

Good luck..
Schel :)

I've cooked fish in the large bar pan several times. Using baking soda and the brush works well for me. Be sure your tap water is hot enough--if not, heat it up some!Good luck!Cath
/kitchencpr

It sounds to me like your stone may not be very seasoned. I bake everything on my stones and have never had any flavor transfer issues.
Hot water and baking soda should take care of it.

I hate to say this but...It has actually happened to me. At a show, a host of mine brought me her stone. She said it smelled like bacon and she could not get that smell off. I smelled the stone. I didn't smell anything. I just decided to tell her that my sinuses were acting up. So we passed the stone around at her show to see if anyone could guess what the stone was used to make. I had everyone, 11 people, write down what they thought it was. No one guessed bacon! Sometimes what people smell is what people think they smell. I am not saying that your stone does not smell of fish. It very well could but... Our minds are powerful things. We think fish would leave an oder, therefore it does. Make bar cookies on it and see what happens. If you do NOT tell anyone what you think it smells like, they may never notice it.

Just had to put this blurp in here. I did a show the other night and guess what... A guest insisted she washes her stone in dish water, (with soap) and refuses to just use water. She then said she doesnt have a soap taste on her food. I have a hard time believing that one! You couldn't tell her different. I made sure to tell the others NOT to do this! She was the biggest heckler at the show, and spent the most! Go figure!
Schel

schel said:
Just had to put this blurp in here. I did a show the other night and guess what... A guest insisted she washes her stone in dish water, (with soap) and refuses to just use water. She then said she doesnt have a soap taste on her food. I have a hard time believing that one! You couldn't tell her different. I made sure to tell the others NOT to do this! She was the biggest heckler at the show, and spent the most! Go figure!
Schel

True Confession time:

I have been known to wash my stones in soapy water. I don't soak them in it, more of just a rinse....and I don't do it all the time, but when I do bacon, or a chicken - sometimes I just can't get rid of that "greasy" feel on the stone, and a quick swipe w/ a soapy cloth, and then immediately rinsing it does the trick....and I never have a soapy taste.:)

ChefBeckyD said:
True Confession time:

I have been known to wash my stones in soapy water. I don't soak them in it, more of just a rinse....and I don't do it all the time, but when I do bacon, or a chicken - sometimes I just can't get rid of that "greasy" feel on the stone, and a quick swipe w/ a soapy cloth, and then immediately rinsing it does the trick....and I never have a soapy taste.:)

I have been known on occasion to do that as well. :rolleyes:

Ok Ok... :p Me too, but I would never pour soap directly on it! Schel

I put my stones in the dishwasher with NO SOAP and it works amazingly well.

If your stone continues to have an odor, there may be a small crack in it that is not visible yet.

itsjustCarla said:
I put my stones in the dishwasher with NO SOAP and it works amazingly well.

Do you use a rinse aide?
Schel

In laundry, vinegar is a great way to take away a bad smell. If it were me I would use vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda in a paste. Leave on to soak and then use the kitchen brush with very hot water. That has got to work. Don't you think?

Julie

1. How do I remove fish odor from my Large Bar Pan?

There are a few different methods you can try to remove fish odor from your Large Bar Pan. One option is to sprinkle baking soda on the pan and let it sit for a few hours before washing it with warm soapy water. You can also try rubbing the pan with a cut lemon or white vinegar, then washing it with warm soapy water. For tougher odors, you can try soaking the pan in a mixture of hot water and white vinegar for an hour before washing it.

2. Can I use soap and water to clean my Large Bar Pan after cooking fish?

Yes, you can use soap and water to clean your Large Bar Pan after cooking fish. It is important to wash the pan with warm soapy water immediately after use to prevent the fish odor from lingering. You can also add a splash of white vinegar to the soapy water for extra odor-fighting power.

3. Will cooking fish on my Large Bar Pan leave a lingering odor?

If you properly clean your Large Bar Pan after cooking fish, there should not be a lingering odor. However, if you do notice a lingering odor, you can try the methods mentioned in question 1 to remove it.

4. Can I use my Large Bar Pan for cooking fish if I have a seafood allergy?

If you have a severe seafood allergy, we recommend not using your Large Bar Pan for cooking fish. While the pan itself can be cleaned thoroughly, there is always a possibility of cross-contamination with residual fish oils or juices.

5. Is it safe to use metal utensils on my Large Bar Pan when cooking fish?

Yes, it is safe to use metal utensils on your Large Bar Pan when cooking fish. The pan is made of durable materials that can withstand the use of metal utensils. Just be sure to avoid using sharp utensils that could scratch the non-stick coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shari in TX
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Shari in TX
  • Renee Anderson
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
nikked
  • PamperedDor