• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Handle a Large Crowd at an Interactive Show?

In summary, Karen suggests that a newbie host a show with about 30 people, focus on the faces looking at you, and don't stop for anything. Don't yell to be heard, just raise your volume a little. Having fun is the most important thing. Newbies should also work with their host and make sure she calls everyone
Cr8vKitchen
I hope I'm putting this post in the right place...new to this forum and PC.

I have a show coming up in a couple of weeks where the host invited 94 people!!! ARGH!

How do I do an interactive show with about 30 people?? I'm afraid it will be chaos and I will completely lose control of the show.

HELP A NEWBIE, PLEASE!

So 30 people are coming???? Is this your first show? My first one was 14 people and I was soooo overwhelmed, but I ended up with 900 in sales and 3 bookings. Looking back, I wish I had those shows all the time.

Don't stress about it and I wouldn't worry about making it interactive. Just do the recipe show some products and at the end let people come up and try them. My director once told me "don't stop for anything." even if people are talking over you or kids are running around. It's going to happen especially since people are getting together and haven't seen each other in a while. Just keep going. They're having fun, and the bottom line is, they will order from you. Just smile and book as many parties as you can from this one! Congrats ahead of time!

This is awesome! Just throw out a couple comments about how there is so much stuff you want to talk about that there is a xxx show you could do for someone else if they book, and then you can do a xxx show for someone else. Get them interested in booking to hear the continuation of that great party!

I totally agree with Karen. People will have their own conversations going on - don't take it personally, and let them police themselves. Let the other guests shush the talkers, just keep going with your show, focus on the faces looking at you. Also don't yell to be heard - just raise your volume a little for the guests that are paying attention. Let the visiters visit, they aren't trying to be a pain, they are just having fun. Which is the MOST important thing that you can do - Have Fun!!! Shows with a lot of guests can be more work, but they also have MUCH high sales and bookings. This is a great way to start your business!! Good luck!

That is awsome , see if you can get your director or some one to help you just take the the orders, you can even just show a friend , or your older child how to add up the order forms . That will take alot of pressure off you . That way you can get the bookings on your calender and just talk to everyone. I don't do interactive shows so I would do 1 recipe maybe have something already in the oven too and just pass the products around so they can feel them . Good luck

That is good advice! Especially if you are new, having someone there to help you process orders is very important.They won't all be listening to you through an entire demo. Make sure to get the entire crowd's attention at least once to introduce yourself, thank the host for opening the home, explain the guest special, and mention what recipe you're serving....and introduce your assistant who is helping you with orders

Maybe just pick a couple to be your helpers??I usually don't do a demo but had a show that had over 30 people there. Most were sitting in the living room with me. Others were in the kitchen with their catalogs and a few were out on the back porch. Those were regular guests who have heard my talk a few times already!

Make sure you work with your host and make sure she calls everyone and reminds them of the show. Sounds like she is motivated to send out that many invites!

Does she have 30 confirmed or are you just assuming a third will come? I am having a jewelry party next week and I have invited about 90 people also, but I doubt I'll have more than 15 people here. Just keep in close touch with her to get a better handle on the number. And like everybody said, it would be better to just do the demo than try to run it Interactively. And keep on trucking!! It will be all good. I am wishing you a GREAT show!!

Like Chef Kearns said, are these confirmed guests or an estimate by the 1/3 rule?

I had a hostess invite 75 one time and 10 showed. It all depends on if they follow your host coaching advice and follow up with everyone.

I agree with not doing an interactive show this time. Too many people, too much chaos. But excellent if you have that many there!!

Best of luck!!

Don't feel overwhelmed. I actually went to a recent party with my SD of all people and there were about 25 people there and even she had no control over what was going on LOL There were 3 or 4 who stood by and watched the demo and asked questions but the rest had their own conversations going on. But her sales ended up over $900.

You will not have control of a crowd that size no matter what you do. Don't be offended. It's not that they aren't interested or won't buy, they are just having a good time and listening with one ear. I'm lucky to have control of 12 people, let alone 30 - but oh, how I would love to give that a shot! Lucky you.

Like everyone has said, talk up bookings. How much fun everyone is having and that they are a great crowd and you can't wait until one of them has a show so you can party with them again. This sounds like a group you want to continue to be connected with. Good luck.

Make sure you use your door prize slips in case she does have the 30. Several won't purchase, but you'll want their info.

pcsharon1 said:
You will not have control of a crowd that size no matter what you do. Don't be offended. It's not that they aren't interested or won't buy, they are just having a good time and listening with one ear. I'm lucky to have control of 12 people, let alone 30 - but oh, how I would love to give that a shot! Lucky you. Like everyone has said, talk up bookings. How much fun everyone is having and that they are a great crowd and you can't wait until one of them has a show so you can party with them again. This sounds like a group you want to continue to be connected with. Good luck.
That's the truth! I had a show with 6 people- including the host...and they were all talking to each other (two groups of 3). And I was standing RIGHT in front of them at a kitchen island- they were on one side of the high-bar, and I was on the other! It was so annoying. It was my first show too. (I was most annoyed that my friend/host was in her own world/conversation.) But you just keep going, and I did.

Thank you all so much for the great advice! I'm feeling much better about it. As of right now, we have a confirmed 12 people are attending so I'm thinking it may not end up being 30 people...of course, we do still have 2 weeks to go.

Thanks again!!

Cr8vKitchen said:
Thank you all so much for the great advice! I'm feeling much better about it. As of right now, we have a confirmed 12 people are attending so I'm thinking it may not end up being 30 people...of course, we do still have 2 weeks to go.

Thanks again!!

Let us Nosy Nellies know how it goes!!

What a wonderful host to invite so many people for you. I agree, if they don't all pay attention, and they won't, don't take it personally. They will place orders. Be sure to show some of the higher priced items and tell them they just have to have them! LOL. Good luck and enjoy it, relax and have fun.

there is no such thing as too many people! the more the merrier :)

Hopefully the rest of the 94 will place orders!

pcchefjane said:
Hopefully the rest of the 94 will place orders!

Even at $10.00 a piece, that is a smokin' show!! LOL

I just did a show last week with 36 guests - It really wasn't too bad!!!! I had their attention - I always ask for their attention when I get started and introduce myself, go over the specials, order form etc etc etc. and always end that little introduction with, "This is what we will be preparing this evening _________ a fun and EASY recipe and QUICK TOO, you will want to keep your eyes and ears on this!!!! - I promise to keep it short, because I know you would all like to visit and chat too and THAT'S WHAT I WANT FOR YOU!!!" They are always AWESOME ABOUT IT!!!! I am sure to keep my demo to 30 - 45 minutes USUALLY 30!!! That way they don't feel rushed to eat and etc etc etc. Ending up leaving there with $1200 in orders. ALL IN ALL, A FANTASTIC NIGHT!!!!!!My host invited 65 people!!! GREAT TURNOUT!!! Always encourage them to OVERINVITE!!!! Makes up for those hosts that invite only 10 - 15 people.

Last edited:
pamperedlinda said:
there is no such thing as too many people! the more the merrier :)

DITTO!!!!!!!!

I wish I had that problem!!! LOL

Here is a thought, arrive early, prepare the recipe before the guests arrive (Maybe a trifle) Prepare a beverage in front of them (quick and easy) and then a bookings slide, closing and then set up for orders. A full service check-out is absolutely key, otherwise you will never get to book the shows and get to know people for the recruit leads.

A good tip my director has for crowd control:If things get really out of control to the point of no one hearing anything, stop your demo and start looking around on the ground, in corners of the room, etc. and when everyone stops talking to watch you, say "I've lost my control, do you see it anywhere?"I think that's a really cute/funny way to get people's attention.Also, I invited 100 people to my kick off, and with it 2 days away I have about 15-20 confirmed. I think when you invite so many people the 1/3 average goes down because more people means more conflicts, you know? Let us know how it went/goes! Be happy that the host is so excited about PC that she wanted to invite EVERYONE she knows! Have you talked to her about joining PC? :)

JaimeAnnR said:
A good tip my director has for crowd control:If things get really out of control to the point of no one hearing anything, stop your demo and start looking around on the ground, in corners of the room, etc. and when everyone stops talking to watch you, say "I've lost my control, do you see it anywhere?"I think that's a really cute/funny way to get people's attention.Also, I invited 100 people to my kick off, and with it 2 days away I have about 15-20 confirmed. I think when you invite so many people the 1/3 average goes down because more people means more conflicts, you know? Let us know how it went/goes! Be happy that the host is so excited about PC that she wanted to invite EVERYONE she knows! Have you talked to her about joining PC? :)
I've had more than one group of rowdy women who were completely offended by this type of approach. They felt like they were there to socialize, and have a fun night out with friends - and to be treated like they were in elementary school was a complete turn-off. Which is why they didn't re-book with the consultants who treated them like that, but instead came to me!When I am not in control, I just go with it. I joke around, and just get through the demo as quickly as possible. I've gotten several bookings from groups like this - and they have thanked me for not treating them like they were children.At the beginning of my show - If I think it's going to be a wild bunch - I will often address it with something like this:WOW - I can tell you are all ready for a good time tonight! I just want you to know that I am not the pampered chef police, and I don't have a ruler to rap your knuckles if you aren't paying attention! I know you want to visit and enjoy your time with friends, so I am going to make this as quick as I can - I'm hoping that you all will like me so much and think I'm so funny that you just have to pay attention, but if you don't - I won't be offended! I'm going to be sharing some really great cooking tips, and showing you some ways that maybe you haven't thought of to use some of your familiar tools - so lets get cooking and have some fun!

My advice to you is this. Talk to your host a head of time so she knows what you are going to do. With a crownd that size I would suggest NO DEMO and NO HANDS ON. If oyu can hold their attention for 15 minutes, that is allyou need to get your points across. Thank your hosts, tell them about the info you want from them on the order forms, the guest special and then talk about booking. Tell eveyone if they have any questions, you will be available AFTER the recipe is done. Then let them to the introductions themselves. It will take way too long if you intstigate anything like tell us your name and your favorite product. Then as soon as your tell them all the important stuff, tell them you will be making whatever and that you could use some helpers. IF you get any takers, let them help you with the recipe. Once the food is ready, tell your guests that it is and to help themsleves. Make sure then you are ready for taking orders and your checkout. Then go back into the main area and mingle. Asnwer questions and then if someone is ready - check them out. KISS! (Keep it simple stupid!) (Not that you are but I have to tell myself that to keep from panicing.) I had 24 women plus the two hosts at my last party and it was way better to not talk to much. I had it planned with the hosts ahead. Intro, thank you, ordering procedures, guest specials, future host specials and then recipe. I was out of the living room in 20 minutes. Then it was party time. I made the two recipes with help from about 4 people. Made it so much easier and they chatted away and helped. I never had to worry about boring them to death or taking way to long. And I got all my points across. And I got $1541 in sales. Only two bookings but I have done that group before so I knew there would not be bookings.

Related to How to Handle a Large Crowd at an Interactive Show?

1. How do I handle a large number of guests at my Pampered Chef show?

The best way to handle a large number of guests at your show is to plan ahead and be prepared. Make sure you have enough seating and samples for everyone, and consider setting up multiple demonstration stations to keep the show moving smoothly.

2. What if I don't have enough products to accommodate all the guests?

If you find that you don't have enough products to accommodate all the guests at your show, try focusing on smaller, more versatile products that can be used in multiple recipes. You can also offer guests the opportunity to place orders after the show to ensure they can get the products they want.

3. How can I make sure everyone gets a chance to see the products and participate in the show?

To ensure everyone gets a chance to see the products and participate in the show, try breaking up the presentation into smaller segments and rotating groups of guests between different stations. You can also encourage guests to interact with each other and share their experiences with the products.

4. What should I do if there are too many people to fit in one room?

If there are too many people to fit in one room, consider setting up additional seating and demonstration stations in a nearby area. You can also offer guests the option to watch the show remotely via video call or provide them with a PDF version of the catalog to follow along with.

5. How can I ensure that everyone has a good time despite the large crowd?

To ensure that everyone has a good time despite the large crowd, try to keep the atmosphere light and engaging. Encourage guests to ask questions and participate in the demonstrations, and consider offering small prizes or rewards for those who actively engage in the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pckellyd
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • caremmel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sherylscooking
  • babywings76