• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Often Do You Hone Your Forged Knives?

In summary, the conversation is about the proper care and maintenance of forged cutlery knives. Honing is recommended before each use to realign the blade and keep it sharp, while sharpening should be done by a professional every one to two years. Some individuals have had issues with their knives breaking or being damaged by honing, and there is discussion about the high maintenance and cost of these knives. There is also mention of the Test Kitchen not needing to sharpen their knives yet, and a suggestion to call HO if there are any issues with the knives.
jrstephens
Just wondering. I think it is getting tome for me to do mine. Was wondering how often you all did?

We had a professional chef do a training for us last fall when they first came out. He recommended honing them every time you use them. That's what I do.

I do it when I think about it....if I did it every time I used one, it would be every day!

jenniferknapp said:
I do it when I think about it....if I did it every time I used one, it would be every day!

Exactly! Just pull it through the honing tool 2-3 times before you start cutting and your knife will be in tip top shape. :)

Do you wash or wipe it down every time after?? I would be worried of any small metal filings...

After honing it? No I don't. Honing realigns the blade, it does not take off any metal.

The way the chef described it to us is that honing is like braces for your knife. Honing realigns the blade and helps keep it the sharpest it can be. You should do it every time you use the knife.

Sharpening is a totally different process. It is the act of grinding the blade of the knife down (removing metal) to recreate the edge. You should have this professionally done (note the word professional--we're not talking JoAnn Fabrics or the hardware store here) every one to two YEARS, depending on use.

Thank you for the info!! I will put my honing tool in front of my knives so that I remember every time :)

You're welcome!

I really liked how he described honing as "braces for your knife" and that's the way I explain it at every show.

Everyone who buys one of our forged cutlery pieces should be buying a honing tool as well!! Upsell those honing tools, ladies & gents!!!

DebbieJ said:
We had a professional chef do a training for us last fall when they first came out. He recommended honing them every time you use them. That's what I do.

OMGoodness! I am hundreds of hones behind!!! Got to pull it out tonight! no wonder I notieced last night they were not as sharp!

Thanks Debbie!!

DebbieJ said:
After honing it? No I don't. Honing realigns the blade, it does not take off any metal.

The way the chef described it to us is that honing is like braces for your knife. Honing realigns the blade and helps keep it the sharpest it can be. You should do it every time you use the knife.

Sharpening is a totally different process. It is the act of grinding the blade of the knife down (removing metal) to recreate the edge. You should have this professionally done (note the word professional--we're not talking JoAnn Fabrics or the hardware store here) every one to two YEARS, depending on use.

My honing tool takes off metal! It totally shredded my Forged Chef's knife. I haven't used it since! There are notches missing from the blade of my Chef's knife.

IMO these knives are a little high maintenance and expensive for me. My Forged Utility knife broke off at the tip. I don't even know how!! One minute it was there the next it was missing!! Then we have to find our own sharpener person?! We should be able to send them to PC for sharpening!! I mean how can they guarantee the knives if everyone is sending their knives to different people to sharpened (and anything can happen).

Sharpening should be a rare thing. Someone asked the test kitchen folks at Leadership how often they sharpened the knives in the TK, and they haven't yet. They've been using them over a year, too.

I hone mine for most every use.

Chef Kearns said:
My honing tool takes off metal! It totally shredded my Forged Chef's knife. I haven't used it since! There are notches missing from the blade of my Chef's knife.

IMO these knives are a little high maintenance and expensive for me. My Forged Utility knife broke off at the tip. I don't even know how!! One minute it was there the next it was missing!! Then we have to find our own sharpener person?! We should be able to send them to PC for sharpening!! I mean how can they guarantee the knives if everyone is sending their knives to different people to sharpened (and anything can happen).

Have you called HO about this? Maybe you have a defective product/products?

I havent had to sharpen my knives yet and I have had them since Oct. but I think I might have my DH sharpen them for me. Since he likes doing that kind of thing to begin with.

Chef Kearns said:

I had this same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've only done it once because of what happened. Makes me scared to do it again!

I saw a thread somewhere on here that the tips are fare more likely to break off your knives if you store them in the TTA, because they're resting on the tips. They should be stored laying down flat in a drawer.

That happened to me, too, and I just got a new one. You know how good they are about sending things back! The new one is doing well so far!

So do you guys not liked the forged cutlery? I just ordered the Santoku knife. They looked really nice to me but now you have me worried.

2crazyboys said:
So do you guys not liked the forged cutlery? I just ordered the Santoku knife. They looked really nice to me but now you have me worried.

I LOVE my forged cutlery, I have all of the pieces, including 1 set of the new steak knives:D

2crazyboys said:
I LOVE my knives! They are sooooooo much nicer than the ones with the self sharpening cases. I tell people if you cook every day, you need these knives. If you cook once a week or less, you don't have to invest in the forged cutlery- the self sharpening ones would be good for them.

I use my knives daily, so I really like the professional quality, the extra sharpness, and the FEEL/BALANCE in my hand. They can't be beat!

But yes, they are an investment, so we need to take care of them like they are!

2crazyboys said:

I LOVE them! And have many customers who love them!

Love mine. Use them all the time.

Okay that's good to hear. I'm excited to be getting mine. I've wanted one since I started.

Chef Kearns said:

My Sankato broke off at the tip, too. I just called HO and they sent out a replacement.

chefann said:
I saw a thread somewhere on here that the tips are fare more likely to break off your knives if you store them in the TTA, because they're resting on the tips. They should be stored laying down flat in a drawer.

My sankato lost it's tip. Finding it was quite funny, at a show, pulled it out of it's case, started talking about it, and all of a sudden, I see no tip!!

It did give the opportunity to speak about lifetime quarantees, etc. Actually sold 2 knives at that show!

As for storage, I do not store mine upright, or downright for that matter. They are on their side. I hope that mine was a rare case, but I have heard several others say they have had the same problem.

I think sharpening everytime is way too much.

chefkristin said:
I think sharpening everytime is way too much.

That's why you only SHARPEN every one to two years, but HONE your knife with every use. There is a difference. Our honing tool is not a sharpener.

I Love my forged cutlery.... I use it all the time.........

2crazyboys said:

I LOVE the forged cutlery as well. I only have the paring knife and the Santoku right now. I use them all the time!

I have only used the knives with the sharpening cases at shows! I never took them out in my day to day cooking..

I don't have the honing tool (oops!) and have never honed my knives. I guess I should put that on my wish list! I don't use my rally often because I think the santoku feels bulky for most of my everyday needs. I love the new green santoku and it is more my size...I can't wait to buy 2-3 more!

I haven't honed my knives either. They are still going strong... :D I like the green santoku too!

Related to How Often Do You Hone Your Forged Knives?

1. How often should I hone my forged knives?

It is recommended to hone your forged knives every 2-3 uses or at least once a week, depending on how often you use them. This will help maintain their sharpness and extend their lifespan.

2. What is the purpose of honing a knife?

Honing a knife realigns the blade's edge, which can become misaligned with regular use. This process helps to maintain the sharpness of the knife and makes it easier and safer to use.

3. Can I hone my forged knives too often?

Yes, it is possible to over-hone your knives, which can cause them to lose their sharpness. It is recommended to hone your knives only when necessary, as over-honing can also cause damage to the blade.

4. What is the difference between honing and sharpening a knife?

Honing a knife is a process of realigning the blade's edge, while sharpening involves removing metal from the blade to create a new edge. Honing is meant to maintain a knife's sharpness, while sharpening is done to restore its sharpness.

5. How do I know when it's time to hone my knives?

You can tell it's time to hone your knives when they start to feel dull or when they are no longer cutting through food easily. A good test is trying to slice through a tomato - if the knife struggles, it's time to hone it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kam
  • sillylittlechef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sillylittlechef
  • itsjustCarla
  • Products and Tips
Replies