• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Much Do Your Recipes Really Cost?

In summary, Marla was recently on TV talking about recipes that cost $2 to $4 per serving. It is important to note that the recipes are $2 or less per serving, not per recipe. The Pork Noodle Skillet costs around $8 for 6 generous servings while the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad is very inexpensive. It is possible to find red peppers for $1 by checking reduced produce racks, and it is also important to watch for sales and use coupons. Shopping in bulk can also help save money when buying groceries.
ChefBeckyD said:
Well, I just did my part to cut the cost of groceries in the future!

I went today and bought all kinds of stuff for my garden!:love:

12 Tomato plants (5 different varieties)
4 Pepper Plants - red & yellow bell peppers, cubanella, and jalapeno
Onion bulbs
And the following seeds:

Butternut Squash
Green Beans
Yellow Beans
Carrots
Pumpkin
Sugar Snap Peas

I am so excited about planting my garden. I thought DH would flip out when he saw how many tomato plants I brought home,(we have limited garden space) but - he is so wonderful! His first comment was "You know, I think I could probably till up another 2-3 feet out from where the garden is right now." YAHOO!

I think it's because he was so disappointed that the salsa I canned last year only lasted until February....and he has to eat store-bought salsa now.

Becky - hang some of your tomato plants this year just like I am - it will save some ground space!

I'm not getting plants for a few more weeks since it can still get VERY cold before Memorial Day.

I do have strawberries and chives coming up already though. :)

Oh Becky, can you send me your salsa recipe???? I used to have one for canning that was excellent and lost it when I moved up north. :(I need a good one!

janetupnorth said:
Becky - hang some of your tomato plants this year just like I am - it will save some ground space!

I'm not getting plants for a few more weeks since it can still get VERY cold before Memorial Day.

I do have strawberries and chives coming up already though. :)

I looked into hanging tomato plants, but with all of the construction going on here, there just isn't any place for me to hang them. We are adding a 4 season porch off the back, a covered front porch, and re-siding and re-roofing. Those poor tomatoes wouldn't stand a chance with all that!

I want strawberries - but have no place for them. :cry:
I do have black raspberry bushes, and chives, and rhubarb that is looking good!

The irony of all of this is that when I was younger, I HATED having to work in the garden, but now I enjoy it so much! There is a spiritual lesson to be learned with that, I think. "Train up a child in the way they should go, and when they are old, they will not depart from it." or - in my own personal paraphrase - "Teach your children the right things, and when they are grown, they will return to the things you have taught them!"

I'm going to post my Salsa recipe, but need to preface it with this - This is an old recipe from my Grandma, who called this "Chili Sauce". I have tweaked it some to suit us (I'm pretty sure Grandma didn't even know what cilantro was), but my dad says it still reminds him of Grandma's Chili Sauce. She used this as a regular condiment on the table for everything! It is slightly sweet, and spicy at the same time. DH can hardly get enough of it! I am planning on canning it in quart jars this year, because he can go through a pint in a day or two!I run my tomatoes through a Sauce Master Food Strainer. (this is also how I do pumpkin, squash, and apples for applesauce) It's what people used before there were food processors.:p SAUCE MASTER by Norpro, Food Strainers & Sauce Makers at www.homesteadhelpers.comAnd the rest I chop up finely by hand. I usually triple or quadruple this recipe for each time I make it.SALSA3 Quarts fresh tomatoes (I use a variety) - chopped
3 Jalapeno Peppers (I use a variety of peppers) - chopped
2-3 onions - chopped
2-4 Bell Peppers (again, a variety of colors) - chopped
1 Tbls. Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar (scant)
1 Cup Vinegar
3 small cans tomato paste
1-2 teas. Cumin (to taste)
2-4 Tbls. fresh Cilantro - finely choppedCook for 45 min. to 1 hour or until thick (this will depend on how meaty your tomatoes are)
Put into freezer containers & freeze, or pint jars and process for 35 minutes.ETA: Oh - and the Roaster from PC works great for cooking this down!

Ooh Becky - that looks so similar to the one I used to have - thank you!!!!

janetupnorth said:
Ooh Becky - that looks so similar to the one I used to have - thank you!!!!

You are so welcome! Now...to just wait the next 120 days until the harvest is ready!:eek: (drumming my fingernails on the desk impatiently....)

Hey, I need 120 days to get my house clean to have room to can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

janetupnorth said:
Hey, I need 120 days to get my house clean to have room to can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! Totally relate! The house looks pretty good right now because of the breakfast this morning - but there was plenty of shoving into cupboards and closets going on!:D

jbachen said:
I know this has been discussed on here before, but it sounds like everyone needs to try grocerygame.com!

I have been doing TGG since October. I can't tell you how much toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, and body washes I have gotten for FREE. I pay for two lists and it equals out to $2 per week. It has saved me soooooooo much more than $2 per week!

I have to admit, the last couple of weeks I have been missing out on some GREAT deals, cuz I am so far behind on cutting and filing my coupons, that I couldn't get them together to shop. Grrrr.

I'm nervous about the Grocery Game. Plus it lists only one store in my area that actually sells groceries ... the rest are drug stores.I just found out a local store in my area is having "grand reopening" sale ... they have boneless skinless chicken for $1.79, ice cream for $1.88, butter for $1.49 and bananas for 39 cents. They also have iceburg lettuce for 99 cents, which I just might get. At least I know my roomate will leave it alone ...

Bumping because I needed to revive Becky's recipe on post #54 for this year. Everyone LOVES that recipe. :)

janetupnorth said:
Bumping because I needed to revive Becky's recipe on post #54 for this year. Everyone LOVES that recipe. :)

Getting ready to make my 2nd batch of the season!:love:

ChefBeckyD said:
Getting ready to make my 2nd batch of the season!:love:

I'm jealous...none of my stuff is ready yet! Tomatoes are about cherry size and just forming. I've had 3 hot peppers so far and the rest are just starting along with the green peppers. All my stuff is late...

janetupnorth said:
I'm jealous...none of my stuff is ready yet! Tomatoes are about cherry size and just forming. I've had 3 hot peppers so far and the rest are just starting along with the green peppers. All my stuff is late...
All of my stuff is late too. I've usually done a couple batches by now....I'm still picking beans, which are usually totally done by now, and I've only had 2 zucchini so far - my other squash, and my pumpkins are just little tiny babies. I'm afraid they won't get a chance to ripen. :cry: This hasn't been the best year weather wise for my garden. It's been too cold!

I'm jumping in WAY late on this post, but I have to tell you if you've got a Maines Warehouse in your area, GO!!! There produce prices rock and where can you get boneless skinless chicken breasts (that usually look like turkey breasts :eek:) for $1.29 to $1.49 a pound, with a 10 lb. minimum purchase. If you've got a friend who works for Maines, they get 15% off, even sale prices, so it gets pretty cheap.

I love our local farmers market, I just got zuc. for .75 each, didn't matter how big or small they were. We got allot and I've frozen it in batches for bread and also for a soup I make all winter long.
HTH

Lisa

ChefBeckyD said:
All of my stuff is late too. I've usually done a couple batches by now....I'm still picking beans, which are usually totally done by now, and I've only had 2 zucchini so far - my other squash, and my pumpkins are just little tiny babies. I'm afraid they won't get a chance to ripen. :cry: This hasn't been the best year weather wise for my garden. It's been too cold!

I've not had any good luck either! and it's not been temperature related- we just made brand new raised beds with good soil mixes (I think!- followed instructions). The tomato plants got huge, but are ripening at the rate of maybe 4-5 a week! (and small- they are better boy & beefsteak). My beans, peas, cucs, melons, peppers- all were pathetic with the size and output! My mom has the same problem- except for tomatoes. It's a conspiracy by Monsanto to keep us from doing our own gardens ;)

Green peppers were $1.19 a lb., today, and we thought that was a deal and bought six for stuffed peppers. They will fit nicely in our DCB. I will freeze four of them, after they have been baked, and reheat for a fast meal.

The Sesame oil comes in a small 5 oz. bottle at Wal-Mart and I believe was under $3. The Ramen noodles there were in bundles of 6 and averaged about 20 cents per or less.
I get my pork tenderloins in a 3 pack and pay about $2.99 a lb. When you buy only one lb. you will pay as much as $3.99 a lb. I am fortunate to have a Wegman's in the towns to the east and west of me. Their prices are consistently good values, and often less than Wal-mart, so it pays to notice the prices on your favorite items. I am a couponer
from the 1950's, and have a little box I take along that I bought in one of the discount stores. I have marked the file tabs: Baking, Beverages; Breads; Breakfast, Cleaning; Dairy; Fast Food Restaurants; Frozens; Health; Pasta-Rice-Sides; Paper Products; Ready to Expire; Sauces; Snacks; Taxables. I put a pencil in the last pocket and all the coupons I need to file. It has a top with a handle and twist clasp. It works for me.

Kitchen Diva said:
HA! Chicken here is $6.99 to $7.99 for a pacage of three small breasts! keep in mind that these are three single breasts....not a pair of three breasts which would actually be 6 breasts. If I go with bone in and skin on, I can get three breasts for $5.99 to $6.49. Normally our packages of clucker meat (what I call chicken) are 16 to 24 ounces! A pound of 80/20 ground beef is almost $4.00, and don't even get me started on how expensive bacon and steaks are! And a bag of approx 6 carrots is about $1.89+ here.

Yesterday I took DH to Wal*Mart and we bought enough food for 5 suppers, and some lunchmeat- for lunches. We spent $121.00- and we bought crap in my opinion. For the exception of the hotdogs and hamburger for burgers, we'll be eating a family sized frozen lasagna (not as healthy or as yummy as home made) corn dogs, soup and pizza's.

I'm used to making a nice, healthy, balanced meal with three items (protien-veggie and carb/startch) which costs more, as I use fresh ingredients and nothing prepackaged.

I commend you for being able to find your food at such reasonable prices. I'm so disgusted with food costs it makes me wanna spit.! 18 eggs at a local store (where I will only go to if desparate) is $4.00! FOR EGGS! It used to be 0.89 cents for a dozen! Thankfully I found 18 eggs at Wal*Mart for under $3.00-

So as we were leaving Wal*Mart he said is this how we'll have to eat to save money, and I said, yes- until we both get jobs, I'm sorry! I still have standards and won't buy hamburger helper... :) LOL Oh, and A red, yellow or orange pepper here in my town is about $4.99 a pound. If you buy a package with one green, one yellow nad one red you'll pay about $6.00 for those three peppers!

Kacey where on earth do you live that food is so darned expensive?!

kdangel518 said:
Kacey where on earth do you live that food is so darned expensive?!

That's an old post so I'll answer for her.

She lives in MN near the Twin Cities...

Kitchen Diva said:
HA! Chicken here is $6.99 to $7.99 for a pacage of three small breasts! keep in mind that these are three single breasts....not a pair of three breasts which would actually be 6 breasts. If I go with bone in and skin on, I can get three breasts for $5.99 to $6.49. Normally our packages of clucker meat (what I call chicken) are 16 to 24 ounces! A pound of 80/20 ground beef is almost $4.00, and don't even get me started on how expensive bacon and steaks are! And a bag of approx 6 carrots is about $1.89+ here.

Yesterday I took DH to Wal*Mart and we bought enough food for 5 suppers, and some lunchmeat- for lunches. We spent $121.00- and we bought crap in my opinion. For the exception of the hotdogs and hamburger for burgers, we'll be eating a family sized frozen lasagna (not as healthy or as yummy as home made) corn dogs, soup and pizza's.
I'm used to making a nice, healthy, balanced meal with three items (protien-veggie and carb/startch) which costs more, as I use fresh ingredients and nothing prepackaged.

I commend you for being able to find your food at such reasonable prices. I'm so disgusted with food costs it makes me wanna spit.! 18 eggs at a local store (where I will only go to if desparate) is $4.00! FOR EGGS! It used to be 0.89 cents for a dozen! Thankfully I found 18 eggs at Wal*Mart for under $3.00-

So as we were leaving Wal*Mart he said is this how we'll have to eat to save money, and I said, yes- until we both get jobs, I'm sorry! I still have standards and won't buy hamburger helper... :) LOL Oh, and A red, yellow or orange pepper here in my town is about $4.99 a pound. If you buy a package with one green, one yellow nad one red you'll pay about $6.00 for those three peppers!

You could have bought a lot more food if you made the stuff yourself. A can of spagetti sauce, a pack of lasagna noodles and a pound of mozz cheese will set you back 5 bucks instead of the 10 dollars you spent on the frozen lasagna. I refuse to buy frozen pizzas because I can make a much better crust with a sack of flour, salt, sugar, and yeast (plus MUCH cheaper). Turkey sausage is also a pretty good pizza topping. With a can of tomato sauce and the parmesan garlic seasoning, you have an instant pizza sauce. I also use ground turkey instead of ground beef. the two week dinners done cards offer an array of cheap meals that are much better tasting than the prepagaged stuff!!

As far as eating cheap, you can buy some elbow macaroni, and some tomato sauce, with a few ingredients from your spice cabinet, you can make your own chili mac (maybe even use 1/2 pound of meat and a can or two of red kidney beans to stretch your meat further), instead of hamburger helper (which is full of nasty preservatives!!).

Hope that helps, and I hope you get jobs soon!! We are in a similar boat, we recently moved because of my active duty husband. I had plenty of job offers, but it is taking a while to get all of the credentialling for my new job, so we are getting pretty tight, so the other money saving tips found here have really helped me!!

shelly.nurse said:
As far as eating cheap, you can buy some elbow macaroni, and some tomato sauce, with a few ingredients from your spice cabinet, you can make your own chili mac (maybe even use 1/2 pound of meat and a can or two of red kidney beans to stretch your meat further), instead of hamburger helper (which is full of nasty preservatives!!).

Hope that helps, and I hope you get jobs soon!! We are in a similar boat, we recently moved because of my active duty husband. I had plenty of job offers, but it is taking a while to get all of the credentialling for my new job, so we are getting pretty tight, so the other money saving tips found here have really helped me!!

That's an old post - thankfully, they both do have jobs now. :)

Yeah, I needed a recipe, but I should have figured people read and answer before getting to the end of the thread. :)

moneysavingmom.com also posts alot of the deals at stores paired with coupons. I did thegrocerygame.com and found moneysavingmom.com had basically the same thing

Jen1409 said:
moneysavingmom.com also posts alot of the deals at stores paired with coupons. I did thegrocerygame.com and found moneysavingmom.com had basically the same thing

What are the benefits of moneysavingmom over grocerygame?

<h2>1. How do you calculate the cost of a recipe?</h2><p>At Pampered Chef, we calculate the cost of a recipe by adding up the cost of each ingredient used. This includes the cost of any spices, seasonings, and other pantry staples that may be needed. We also take into account the cost of using kitchen tools and appliances, such as an oven or blender. This allows us to provide an accurate estimate of the total cost of a recipe.</p><h2>2. Is it true that Pampered Chef recipes only cost $2 to $4 per serving?</h2><p>While some of our recipes may have a low cost per serving, this is not true for all of our recipes. The cost of a recipe can vary depending on the ingredients used, the season, and where you shop. Our goal is to provide delicious and affordable recipes for our customers, but the cost may vary for each individual.</p><h2>3. How can I save money while making Pampered Chef recipes?</h2><p>One way to save money while making our recipes is to shop at discount stores or take advantage of sales and coupons. You can also substitute ingredients for more affordable options or use ingredients you already have on hand. Another tip is to buy in bulk and freeze any leftover ingredients for future use.</p><h2>4. Can I use different brands of ingredients in Pampered Chef recipes?</h2><p>Yes, you can use different brands of ingredients in our recipes. We understand that everyone has their own preferred brands and budgets, so feel free to use what works best for you. Just keep in mind that the cost of the recipe may vary depending on the brands you choose.</p><h2>5. Are Pampered Chef recipes worth the cost?</h2><p>We believe that our recipes are worth the cost because they are designed to be delicious, easy to make, and use high-quality ingredients. We also offer a variety of recipes to accommodate different budgets and dietary preferences. Additionally, our recipes are tested and approved by our team of chefs to ensure they meet our high standards of taste and quality.</p>

1. How do you calculate the cost of a recipe?

At Pampered Chef, we calculate the cost of a recipe by adding up the cost of each ingredient used. This includes the cost of any spices, seasonings, and other pantry staples that may be needed. We also take into account the cost of using kitchen tools and appliances, such as an oven or blender. This allows us to provide an accurate estimate of the total cost of a recipe.

2. Is it true that Pampered Chef recipes only cost $2 to $4 per serving?

While some of our recipes may have a low cost per serving, this is not true for all of our recipes. The cost of a recipe can vary depending on the ingredients used, the season, and where you shop. Our goal is to provide delicious and affordable recipes for our customers, but the cost may vary for each individual.

3. How can I save money while making Pampered Chef recipes?

One way to save money while making our recipes is to shop at discount stores or take advantage of sales and coupons. You can also substitute ingredients for more affordable options or use ingredients you already have on hand. Another tip is to buy in bulk and freeze any leftover ingredients for future use.

4. Can I use different brands of ingredients in Pampered Chef recipes?

Yes, you can use different brands of ingredients in our recipes. We understand that everyone has their own preferred brands and budgets, so feel free to use what works best for you. Just keep in mind that the cost of the recipe may vary depending on the brands you choose.

5. Are Pampered Chef recipes worth the cost?

We believe that our recipes are worth the cost because they are designed to be delicious, easy to make, and use high-quality ingredients. We also offer a variety of recipes to accommodate different budgets and dietary preferences. Additionally, our recipes are tested and approved by our team of chefs to ensure they meet our high standards of taste and quality.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • NooraK
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
Replies