• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Much Do Your Recipes Really Cost?

In summary, Marla was recently on TV talking about recipes that cost $2 to $4 per serving. It is important to note that the recipes are $2 or less per serving, not per recipe. The Pork Noodle Skillet costs around $8 for 6 generous servings while the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad is very inexpensive. It is possible to find red peppers for $1 by checking reduced produce racks, and it is also important to watch for sales and use coupons. Shopping in bulk can also help save money when buying groceries.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I heard that Marla was on TV talking about recipes that cost $2 to $4 per serving, and later saw them in the PC news wire.

And my first thought was, "Love ya dearly, Marla, but where are you shopping, honey?"

Maybe it's because I was raised to be frugal, stock up on staples when they are on sale and shop at discount stores, but I cannot FATHOM spending $24 for ingredients in ONE recipe. Usually, that's how much I spend in an entire shopping trip where I buy ingredients for several meals. Also, some of the items may cost $1 or more ... but it contains enough to make several recipes (like carrots and green onions, for example.)

So I thought it would be fun to talk about how much some of your favorite PC recipes cost you!

OK ... here's what the Pork Noodle Skillet costs a cheap chick like me:

Ramen noodles: About 25 cents a package ... about a dollar for all 4

Carrots: About $1 for a package that contains at least 4 carrots

Green onions: About $1, again, the package contains more than I need for this recipe.

Red Pepper: Usually on sale for $1 or less

Toasted Sesame seed oil: $7.99 :eek: but thankfully ... It contains enough to make this recipe many, many times over ....

I omit the asian seasoning because I don't have it

Chicken ... I usually find this on sale for under $2 a pound

So, excluding the over-priced sesame oil .... I can make this puppy for $8 flat. Add another $5 for more chicken and ramen noodles and I can make it again before the remaining veggies go bad.

I think the $2 to $4 per serving is an estimate, and intended to illustrate how much cheaper it is to eat at home than to eat out. And some people shop on their way home from work, getting ingredients that aren't necessarily on sale at the time. Red bell peppers, for instance, are usually a lot more than $1 each.

I agree. Where do you find a red pepper for only $1? They are at least $3 around here.

It is important to note that the recipes are $2 or less per serving, not per recipe.

The Asian Pork Skillet is 6 generous servings when made as written, so at $8 it is much less than $2 per serving.

The Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad is another that is very inexpensive.

stacywhitlow said:
I agree. Where do you find a red pepper for only $1? They are at least $3 around here.

If you go to the supermarket the SAME day you are cooking the recipe, I suggest you ask your produce dept if they have a reduced produce rack! I always check there first...I can usually get a 4 pack of red, green, yellow OR orange peppers for less then $2! Same with bananas, eggplant, artichokes, etc. You name it --- I can usually find it there. (I think its 49 cents a lb for reduced produce in one market I shop at).

At least 3 supermarkets in my area have the reduced produce rack. As long as you eat in a few days its fine!

Di_Can_Cook said:

Green onions: About $1, again, the package contains more than I need for this recipe.

Toasted Sesame seed oil: $7.99 :eek: but thankfully ... It contains enough to make this recipe many, many times over ....

So, excluding the over-priced sesame oil .... I can make this puppy for $8 flat. Add another $5 for more chicken and ramen noodles and I can make it again before the remaining veggies go bad.

HA! Chicken here is $6.99 to $7.99 for a pacage of three small breasts! keep in mind that these are three single breasts....not a pair of three breasts which would actually be 6 breasts. If I go with bone in and skin on, I can get three breasts for $5.99 to $6.49. Normally our packages of clucker meat (what I call chicken) are 16 to 24 ounces! A pound of 80/20 ground beef is almost $4.00, and don't even get me started on how expensive bacon and steaks are! And a bag of approx 6 carrots is about $1.89+ here.

Yesterday I took DH to Wal*Mart and we bought enough food for 5 suppers, and some lunchmeat- for lunches. We spent $121.00- and we bought crap in my opinion. For the exception of the hotdogs and hamburger for burgers, we'll be eating a family sized frozen lasagna (not as healthy or as yummy as home made) corn dogs, soup and pizza's.

I'm used to making a nice, healthy, balanced meal with three items (protien-veggie and carb/startch) which costs more, as I use fresh ingredients and nothing prepackaged.

I commend you for being able to find your food at such reasonable prices. I'm so disgusted with food costs it makes me wanna spit.! 18 eggs at a local store (where I will only go to if desparate) is $4.00! FOR EGGS! It used to be 0.89 cents for a dozen! Thankfully I found 18 eggs at Wal*Mart for under $3.00-

So as we were leaving Wal*Mart he said is this how we'll have to eat to save money, and I said, yes- until we both get jobs, I'm sorry! I still have standards and won't buy hamburger helper... :) LOL Oh, and A red, yellow or orange pepper here in my town is about $4.99 a pound. If you buy a package with one green, one yellow nad one red you'll pay about $6.00 for those three peppers!

Di_Can_Cook said:

Yes, but if you knew how many little sesame seeds needed to be smooshed to make an 8 to 10 ounce bottle of sesame oil, you wouldn't think it was over priced! Think about all those poor little seeds that gave their all for your oil! :D :cry:

Kitchen Diva said:
Yes, but if you knew how many little sesame seeds needed to be smooshed to make an 8 to 10 ounce bottle of sesame oil, you wouldn't think it was over priced! Think about all those poor little seeds that gave their all for your oil! :D :cry:
LOL!!!! Too funny! Say what you want, Kacey, it's still expensive! I'm with Di on this one!
I do think Ohio has a little cheaper prices then a lot of states do, here in Washington, it can be very expensive sometimes especially for ingredients that I need for a show, and don't need them personally, and at other times, it's not so bad. I do shop sales a lot, even for my shows! But for us, I'm very thrifty (cheap!LOL!) but there are times I spend close to 600 a month or more on food.... depending on the sales and just exactly what I'm buying... I do buy a lot of fresh food. It wasn't so bad before but with the cost of fuel, everything is raising in price. The one thing I think is cool is something that a friend from church said to me and IMHO, it is so true. She said "Isn't it amazing how we have favor in a store when we tithe and give offerings? It seems the things we need just happen to be on sale!" And you know when I got to thinking about it, that is so true! To me, that is proof of the God moving in my life and that He's always taking care of me and my family!:angel:

Last edited:
Kacey - Be a queen of coupons too! My mom sends me tons and I use them. Get to know your local stores, ours seems to have a cycle of things on sale. Like milk is on sale once every 3-4 weeks. Lunchmeat, cheese, sour cream...the same way. I try to plan meals when things are coming on sale.Also, I buy boneless skinless chicken breasts at Sam's Club frozen rather than fresh, or wait until there is a huge sale at the store then freeze them. I got corned beef for DH for $.99/lb. last week. We tossed 3 packs in the freezer. We also bought 1/2 cow last fall. Money up front, but I have AWESOME meat for the year. It helps not to buy hamburger each week!!!!Kacey - if you have a list of common things you like to buy - brand names or want to create one, PM it to me. I'd be glad to send some coupons off to you once in awhile that my mom has brought me or keep an eye out for them for you. 1 coupon well covers the postage and every penny counts! :)I just talked to my friend this a.m. and we're already planning on carpooling to town this summer. I HAVE to work everyday and with all our schedules, the only real time to get family shopping in is Saturday mornings before we have to do stuff at camp. We're going to take 1 vehicle in for both families, do our shopping together and then head back. 1 trip to down costs each family AT LEAST $8 in gas so it will help. $32 in one month is something! :)

I know this has been discussed on here before, but it sounds like everyone needs to try grocerygame.com! I signed up under Chefann, and I do not want to steal her referrals, so if you sign up please put her down as referring you. When I first signed up I told a friend about it, and she said she already compares what is on sale that week with the coupons in the Sunday paper, but the grocery game does much more than that. They actually have databases that track sales trends so you don't just buy something when it is on sale, but when it is on the lowest sale possible. I am still in my 4 week trial, and already got a tube of toothpaste for .29 last week. And I have not even built my supply of coupons or stock up deals yet - and those are the ways you save the most money. I highly recommend checking it out!

Janet, I LOVE your ideas, too, especially about carpooling to the store! I have never looked into this, but aren't there coupon exchanges out there, too, where you can swap the coupons you won't use with the ones you will use from other folks? I am thinking that combined with the grocery game could really save some bucks!

jbachen said:
I know this has been discussed on here before, but it sounds like everyone needs to try grocerygame.com! I signed up under Chefann, and I do not want to steal her referrals, so if you sign up please put her down as referring you.

When I first signed up I told a friend about it, and she said she already compares what is on sale that week with the coupons in the Sunday paper, but the grocery game does much more than that. They actually have databases that track sales trends so you don't just buy something when it is on sale, but when it is on the lowest sale possible.

I am still in my 4 week trial, and already got a tube of toothpaste for .29 last week. And I have not even built my supply of coupons or stock up deals yet - and those are the ways you save the most money. I highly recommend checking it out!

I love the grocerygame.com!! Love it! I have saved so much money, there has been times, that I have such good coupons that they have actually paid me to buy there stuff! LOL, because the price is negative by the time I'm done with the coupons!:D
Great advice!

What's grocerygame.com? Might have to check it out...
I am so horrible with coupons; my mom clips 'em for me sometimes, but I never remember to bring them to the store!

I don't use the grocerygame.com at all. With one store in town other than Walmart, it doesn't save me any more than reading the store flyer would. Plus the store sends its weekly specials to me via E-mail so it is very convenient.Also, be wise, don't buy JUST because it is on sale. Buy what you need not more. If you throw it in the end it is more of a waste. Some things are great to go generic, others taste like crap. Try ONE and see if you like it. If not, stick with name brand and use coupons, generics don't usually have coupons. Like bags...I use off-brand trash bags because I found some with good quality. Our local generic sandwich bags suck so I use a coupon and buy Ziploc. In the long run, I'm still better off...

Oh, and check locally - some stores WILL NOT take printed coupons.Oh, and check your area...I entered my zip and only Walgreens came up - sorry store is WAY too small to make it worth it...For people in larger areas, it would be very beneficial if used properly....oh and one other point...sometimes paying 10 cents more on 1 item, saves you a trip across town to another store with it cheaper. Plan wisely and don't chase to save 10 cents and waste the gas. It's a pick and choose and overall savings that will matter to you.

Last edited:
Di_Can_Cook said:
I heard that Marla was on TV talking about recipes that cost $2 to $4 per serving, and later saw them in the PC news wire.

And my first thought was, "Love ya dearly, Marla, but where are you shopping, honey?"

Maybe it's because I was raised to be frugal, stock up on staples when they are on sale and shop at discount stores, but I cannot FATHOM spending $24 for ingredients in ONE recipe. Usually, that's how much I spend in an entire shopping trip where I buy ingredients for several meals. Also, some of the items may cost $1 or more ... but it contains enough to make several recipes (like carrots and green onions, for example.)

So I thought it would be fun to talk about how much some of your favorite PC recipes cost you!
I know what you mean - I read the email and I thought to myself "If $2-3 per serving was a "good" price, I would be at My Girlfriend's Kitchen all the time!"

I don't really consider myself cheap, and my husband wouldn't even give me frugal (he thinks I am an impulse buyer... he's right), but those figures seemed high to me.

Speaking of prices per serving for favorite recipes, one of our favorites is the roasted chicken with 40 cloves of garlic (don't remember the real name; on the PIG for the DCB)
Chicken - $7 for two fresh chickens (not even fryers!) at Sam's
Lemon - $1
Garlic - $.50 per bulb/ $1 per recipe
Paprika, Rosemary, Salt & Pepper - all in the spice rack, but fresh Rosemary is free from garden or about $3 if you buy fresh or a jar dried at grocery
GRAND TOTAL: $12.00 (IF you count both chickens, and IF I buy Rosemary, otherwise $5.50) for 6 official servings.

In my family, that's a big dinner for me, DH, DD, and SIL, plus enough leftover chicken for a very meaty pot pie for later in the week or the freezer.

One thing I do which I didn't realize everyone didn't do is plan my menus for the week, so that I use all of perishables and use up things in my fridge/pantry. I guess if I had to count the entire pack of lettuce and entire jar of pickles and entire pack of rolls for Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad it would up the cost and cost per serving.

lacychef said:
What's grocerygame.com? Might have to check it out...
I am so horrible with coupons; my mom clips 'em for me sometimes, but I never remember to bring them to the store!

Definitely check it out. They basically publish a list every week, based on store flyers, sale trends, and Sunday coupons, which tells you when to stock up for great prices (non-perishables, of course). Eventually, as you stockpile stuff at the lowest prices, you are only buying perishable stuff from week to week, and you save money. You can get a 4 week trial for only $1, but keep in mind they estimate it takes about 12 weeks to get your stockpile up to full potential. Also keep in mind they do not just compare the flyer to the coupons - the keep a database of sale trends, so they know if the sale is really the best deal you will get for the item. Oh, and remember to put chefann in as your referral, so she gets free weeks!

Sorry it didn't make a difference for you, Janet, but it seems to be working well for me! :)

jbachen said:
Definitely check it out. They basically publish a list every week, based on store flyers, sale trends, and Sunday coupons, which tells you when to stock up for great prices (non-perishables, of course). Eventually, as you stockpile stuff at the lowest prices, you are only buying perishable stuff from week to week, and you save money. You can get a 4 week trial for only $1, but keep in mind they estimate it takes about 12 weeks to get your stockpile up to full potential. Also keep in mind they do not just compare the flyer to the coupons - the keep a database of sale trends, so they know if the sale is really the best deal you will get for the item. Oh, and remember to put chefann in as your referral, so she gets free weeks!

Sorry it didn't make a difference for you, Janet, but it seems to be working well for me! :)

No problem - it is where you live!
I just happen to be where there is only 1 store listed so it doesn't do what I can't already do for free.

Like I said, in larger cities and to help people figure things out it works well.

I tired the grocerygame.com and my zip code isn't even on there. The other larger towns around me are, but I try to shop on my home from work to save trips back to town, we live 20miles out. We also grow a lot our own food, beef, eggs, lots of produce in the summer, and I have learned to can and freeze. But still prices are high. Braum's, a ice cream and dairy chain here in Oklahoma has a bag with a yellow, red and green pepper for 2.99. So I always buy my peppers there when I get milk,the milk is cheaper and the store in on my way home. And with a teenage boy who drinks 2-3 gals per week it all adds up LOL. I shop sales and use coupons and do rebates some too. We have boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for 1.49 at one local market and I stocked up. Also, check in the meat dept. sometimes they have marked down meat that is still good. My friend's husband is a butcher and his store pulls meat from the day before that didn't sell and they mark it way down. I bought some marked down Tbones for 2.99 a lb. (we are getting another beef next month) lol. Plus my DH and DS's loooovvvee to fish and hunt and so we have that as well.

jbachen said:
Oh, and remember to put chefann in as your referral, so she gets free weeks!
I have that under my non-PC email, so the email address is [email protected] for that. :)
Thanks for the plug, Jean.

janetupnorth said:
Kacey -

Be a queen of coupons too! My mom sends me tons and I use them. Get to know your local stores, ours seems to have a cycle of things on sale. Like milk is on sale once every 3-4 weeks. Lunchmeat, cheese, sour cream...the same way. I try to plan meals when things are coming on sale.

Also, I buy boneless skinless chicken breasts at Sam's Club frozen rather than fresh, or wait until there is a huge sale at the store then freeze them.

I got corned beef for DH for $.99/lb. last week. We tossed 3 packs in the freezer.

We also bought 1/2 cow last fall. Money up front, but I have AWESOME meat for the year. It helps not to buy hamburger each week!!!!

Kacey - if you have a list of common things you like to buy - brand names or want to create one, PM it to me. I'd be glad to send some coupons off to you once in awhile that my mom has brought me or keep an eye out for them for you. 1 coupon well covers the postage and every penny counts! :)

I just talked to my friend this a.m. and we're already planning on carpooling to town this summer. I HAVE to work everyday and with all our schedules, the only real time to get family shopping in is Saturday mornings before we have to do stuff at camp. We're going to take 1 vehicle in for both families, do our shopping together and then head back. 1 trip to down costs each family AT LEAST $8 in gas so it will help. $32 in one month is something! :)
I've been doing coupons, but last week there was only one 3 page coupon circular in the Sunday Paper- and not one contained a coupon of an item I use. Same with our local stores. They did have a lot of buy one get one, but again, on items like beef jerky and potato chips. I bought my chips, but I don't need beef jerky. :)

I'll pm ya when I get a chance. I'm off to update my resume and build a job specific one. Remember the days when you only needed one resume to get a job? LOL

Di_Can_Cook said:

It's a national average. Kinda like when they say that regular gas is a certain amount, yet in many places (like California) it's much higher and in others.. lower. So a 'high average' that illustrates still that it's cheaper than say, fast food is helpful.

As for me... I buy as cheaply as possible now. I had been doing a local grocery store [Redners] which is the lowest store in the area (other than Walmart but I refuse to go there) and they support local products and produce when they can... HOWEVER... after a receipt that dropped my jaw I've gone back to going to the dent and ding store for non-perishables and to Aldi's for lots of other stuff... and today I tried out Amelia's... it's a combo of the two... some cheap off brand, cheap outlet brands and some stuff that's dinged and damaged for way cheap... So far I estimate I've saved 50% on my groceries...

As for the recipes... haven't tried them for pricing. I don't think of making PC recipes for dinner... go figure. LOL.. I should... then I can give real $ figures during a show to reflect local conditions here.

MissChef said:
LOL!!!! Too funny! Say what you want, Kacey, it's still expensive! I'm with Di on this one!
I do think Ohio has a little cheaper prices then a lot of states do, here in Washington, it can be very expensive sometimes especially for ingredients that I need for a show, and don't need them personally, and at other times, it's not so bad. I do shop sales a lot, even for my shows! But for us, I'm very thrifty (cheap!LOL!) but there are times I spend close to 600 a month or more on food.... depending on the sales and just exactly what I'm buying... I do buy a lot of fresh food. It wasn't so bad before but with the cost of fuel, everything is raising in price. The one thing I think is cool is something that a friend from church said to me and IMHO, it is so true. She said "Isn't it amazing how we have favor in a store when we tithe and give offerings? It seems the things we need just happen to be on sale!" And you know when I got to thinking about it, that is so true! To me, that is proof of the God moving in my life and that He's always taking care of me and my family!:angel:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think specialty oils are ridiculously priced...I was just trying to drum up some sympathy for the poor sesame seeds... It's like a total body mamogram for them!:yuck:

Wow!!! Some of you have really cheap places to shop!

Milk here alone, is $7.11 for a gallon, a block of supermarket brand cheese is $6. Banana's are .80/lb, Chicken breasts you can usually get for about $8 per poud on SALE! ... you get the point. Man, sometimes I really miss living in the U.S! I remember my grocery bill for a month for 2 was around $150 a month. Here, its around $700 a month

Tig said:

Milk here alone, is $7.11 for a gallon, a block of supermarket brand cheese is $6. Banana's are .80/lb, Chicken breasts you can usually get for about $8 per poud on SALE! ... you get the point. Man, sometimes I really miss living in the U.S! I remember my grocery bill for a month for 2 was around $150 a month. Here, its around $700 a month

I'm happy if I can keep our grocery bill at $150.00 per week!

And as far as the grocerygame goes- they only have Walgreens for my zipcode and I live in a big city.

Kitchen Diva said:
I'm happy if I can keep our grocery bill at $150.00 per week!

And as far as the grocerygame goes- they only have Walgreens for my zipcode and I live in a big city.

Aw, that is too bad - because I really think they are saving me money! I wonder how they do it... I am wondering if one person actually keeps the database for all the different stores, or if she pays people to keep the databases in their area. Maybe you could look into it, and find a job and get cheaper groceries all in one shot??

And you are welcome for the plug, Ann... Thank you for letting me know about the site! :)

They do have locals who update the lists. Colleen's sister does the Meijer list for the Detroit area. I don't think it's a highly paid position, though - probably just a free membership at the site or a pittance.

You can't do much with a pittance...I tried once.

I have 2 Pittascines who live with me. They cost more than a pittance to maintain.

Okay, I give up, what's a Pittascine?

Kitchen Diva said:
Okay, I give up, what's a Pittascine?

She probably means: Psittacine

Those would be her parrots for us non-bird owners...

Um, yeah. I didn't bother to open up the dictionary to double check the spelling. And those are the parrots. Little smart-alecs. :rolleyes: But we have discovered that they love food that's pasta with a protein (Creamy One Pot Pasta with chicken, Asian Noodle Skillet, etc.). And tuna melts apparently are acceptable, too. But then they have tuna breath.

chefann said:
Um, yeah. I didn't bother to open up the dictionary to double check the spelling.

And those are the parrots. Little smart-alecs. :rolleyes: But we have discovered that they love food that's pasta with a protein (Creamy One Pot Pasta with chicken, Asian Noodle Skillet, etc.). And tuna melts apparently are acceptable, too. But then they have tuna breath.

That is hilarious!

I don't own birds, but naturally am around people who do and am AMAZED at their intelligence!

DH is trying to teach Beaker to say, "Pull my finger." and then fart. So far, she farts when he says it. :D

Kitchen Diva said:
HA! Chicken here is $6.99 to $7.99 for a pacage of three small breasts! keep in mind that these are three single breasts....not a pair of three breasts which would actually be 6 breasts. If I go with bone in and skin on, I can get three breasts for $5.99 to $6.49. Normally our packages of clucker meat (what I call chicken) are 16 to 24 ounces! A pound of 80/20 ground beef is almost $4.00, and don't even get me started on how expensive bacon and steaks are! And a bag of approx 6 carrots is about $1.89+ here.

Yesterday I took DH to Wal*Mart and we bought enough food for 5 suppers, and some lunchmeat- for lunches. We spent $121.00- and we bought crap in my opinion. For the exception of the hotdogs and hamburger for burgers, we'll be eating a family sized frozen lasagna (not as healthy or as yummy as home made) corn dogs, soup and pizza's.

I'm used to making a nice, healthy, balanced meal with three items (protien-veggie and carb/startch) which costs more, as I use fresh ingredients and nothing prepackaged.

I commend you for being able to find your food at such reasonable prices. I'm so disgusted with food costs it makes me wanna spit.! 18 eggs at a local store (where I will only go to if desparate) is $4.00! FOR EGGS! It used to be 0.89 cents for a dozen! Thankfully I found 18 eggs at Wal*Mart for under $3.00-

So as we were leaving Wal*Mart he said is this how we'll have to eat to save money, and I said, yes- until we both get jobs, I'm sorry! I still have standards and won't buy hamburger helper... :) LOL Oh, and A red, yellow or orange pepper here in my town is about $4.99 a pound. If you buy a package with one green, one yellow nad one red you'll pay about $6.00 for those three peppers!

I don't feel so bad, I can get chicken breasts, 3 to a pack, average 1.5 lbs on sale at Meijer's for $1.99 a pound when they are on sale. Eggs were generally around $1.79/dz. But red peppers are pricy.

Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen, with gas prices being what they are and are going to be, all food is going to be going up.

vwpamperedchef said:
If you go to the supermarket the SAME day you are cooking the recipe, I suggest you ask your produce dept if they have a reduced produce rack! I always check there first...I can usually get a 4 pack of red, green, yellow OR orange peppers for less then $2! Same with bananas, eggplant, artichokes, etc. You name it --- I can usually find it there. (I think its 49 cents a lb for reduced produce in one market I shop at).

At least 3 supermarkets in my area have the reduced produce rack. As long as you eat in a few days its fine!

I also shop the reduced produce and can get 4 or 6 packs of red,green & yellow peppers for about $2.00 (per package) I just buy em all up and bring them home slice and freeze them.
They are perfect for about anything but a salad and makes throwing a pizza together E-Z !

Wow ... lots of posts in here. And I am AMAZED at the prices some of y'all have to pay.

Then again, since I am the only wage earner in my household and I only have 32 hours of wages, so I must be as frugal as possible.

Do they have an Aldi's where you are? It's $2.79 for a 3 pack of peppers when they're NOT in season ... I think they are a bit lower now. Carrots and mushrooms are usually $1 a pack. Only thing is you have to watch the freshness of the produce you buy there.

Saw peppers on sale for 99 cents each last week so I picked one up ... even though Roomie is not suposed to eat them any more.

Got eggs for $1.89 on sale last week ... cheese is often on sale for $2 or less for 8 ounces, whether it's shredded or block. Chicken is often on sale for $1.99 or less a pound, and I put it in the freezer. Sometimes I'll see meat marked way down with a "special today" sticker, which means it must be cooked or frozen THAT DAY. I still have some chicken in there that way.

I'm really obsessive about checking ads for sales and shopping at Aldi's, Sav-A-Lot or Marc's when stuff is not on sale.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Wow ... lots of posts in here. And I am AMAZED at the prices some of y'all have to pay.

Then again, since I am the only wage earner in my household and I only have 32 hours of wages, so I must be as frugal as possible.

Do they have an Aldi's where you are?
It's $2.79 for a 3 pack of peppers when they're NOT in season ... I think they are a bit lower now. Carrots and mushrooms are usually $1 a pack. Only thing is you have to watch the freshness of the produce you buy there.

Saw peppers on sale for 99 cents each last week so I picked one up ... even though Roomie is not suposed to eat them any more.

Got eggs for $1.89 on sale last week ... cheese is often on sale for $2 or less for 8 ounces, whether it's shredded or block. Chicken is often on sale for $1.99 or less a pound, and I put it in the freezer. Sometimes I'll see meat marked way down with a "special today" sticker, which means it must be cooked or frozen THAT DAY. I still have some chicken in there that way.

I'm really obsessive about checking ads for sales and shopping at Aldi's, Sav-A-Lot or Marc's when stuff is not on sale.

I have found Aldi's to be an excellent choice for many of my groceries. I have a hard time buying produce there, because I've found so many spoiled things in the produce section. But for frozen chicken breasts, and cheeses, and so many things - they have great prices, and a quality product. Like real maple syrup, and jarred artichoke hearts, and parmesan blocks, and brie rounds, and tortillas. Good prices on fresh meats, and nuts, and olive oil, and their chocolate chips are pure chocolate! If you read the ingredient list for their chocolate chips, it's very short. (I like that). They are located all over, so I would check into buying groceries (especially staples) there!

I dont really shop ads I could probably save money doing that. But I shop at Walmart and when I know something is on sale at Smiths I will have Walmart match my price. There are things I will not buy there. I think I shop there cause I know thier prices and when I run to smiths for just a few things I end up spending way to much.
Also when I run out of hamburger we will go into Albertsons and ask for thier reduced meat. We alwyas get it for about 1.40 a lb we then stock up on it and use my food saver to vacum pack the food.

Tig said:

Sara do you have an Extra Foods, Super Store, or Loblaws(all the same company) in your area?? My grocery bill is about $65.00 a week for two people. We use our President's Choice credit card and you earn points for free groceries. If you have one of these stores in your area you should look into getting one. I don't like credit cards but we put everything on our card and pay it off they same day via on line banking. Right now I have enough points for $40.00 in groceries. Every little bit helps:) :)

janetupnorth said:
She probably means: Psittacine

Those would be her parrots for us non-bird owners...

Thread hijack my sister got bit by a parrot the other day and had to go and get a tetnus shot.:eek:

Really? My parrot bites me all the time and I'm fine. And, yes, she breaks skin when she bites.

That must have been an odd doctor.If it was a REALLY bad bite and the patient hadn't had a tetnus shot in many, many years, they may have used the situation as an excuse to get her up-to-date or to avoid infection.Parrots don't carry rabies...they are non-mamillian...(if I spelled that right...) so no fear there.

Last edited:
Still hurts.

Acme ad for today has milk on sale for $2.77, a whole block of cheese for $3.49 and green peppers 2 for $1. Red ones are 99 cents.

Probably should mention that I'm single, so it is pointless to really stock up because it will just rot in my fridge ....

Anyway ... I think I'm just going to tell my hosts what I always have, that they save money by making cooking at home cheaper and more fun. They already know it's cheaper than a restaurant.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Still hurts.

Acme ad for today has milk on sale for $2.77, a whole block of cheese for $3.49 and green peppers 2 for $1. Red ones are 99 cents.

Probably should mention that I'm single, so it is pointless to really stock up because it will just rot in my fridge ....

Anyway ... I think I'm just going to tell my hosts what I always have, that they save money by making cooking at home cheaper and more fun. They already know it's cheaper than a restaurant.

Same thing happens when DH is a picky eater and kids are little.
Don't forget you can freeze many things...cheese and peppers for sure can be frozen.

I know fresh tastes best, but frozen isn't bad!

We are drinking more lemonade and water around here because I used to go through 8 gallons per week with just DH and DD!!!!

I got it down to 3-4 now. Whew...

Oh, and get to know people around you, find a friend you can share produce with...go shopping together and split.Today I got a phone call from a neighbor...they had company and made "sticky buns" but made too many. Neighbor remembered Steve loved them at camp so they called and asked if we wanted some.Kids and I biked the mile there and mile back with a backpack and got them. We got exercise, DH gets free food. (Of course I'll probably make them cookies when I return the container...)

janetupnorth said:
That must have been an odd doctor.

If it was a REALLY bad bite and the patient hadn't had a tetnus shot in many, many years, they may have used the situation as an excuse to get her up-to-date or to avoid infection.

Parrots don't carry rabies...they are non-mamillian...(if I spelled that right...) so no fear there.

I thought it was odd also. She lives right next door to my mom and she went in and told her about the bite, and my mom told her to call her dr. and they said she needed to go in. It has been about 10 yrs since her last tetnus shot.

Jennie4PC said:
I thought it was odd also. She lives right next door to my mom and she went in and told her about the bite, and my mom told her to call her dr. and they said she needed to go in. It has been about 10 yrs since her last tetnus shot.

Tetnus shots are every 10 years so they probably had her have it done.

Yikes, that reminds me...I'm due for one this year!!!! :eek:

Well, I just did my part to cut the cost of groceries in the future!

I went today and bought all kinds of stuff for my garden!:love:

12 Tomato plants (5 different varieties)
4 Pepper Plants - red & yellow bell peppers, cubanella, and jalapeno
Onion bulbs
And the following seeds:

Butternut Squash
Green Beans
Yellow Beans
Carrots
Pumpkin
Sugar Snap Peas

I am so excited about planting my garden. I thought DH would flip out when he saw how many tomato plants I brought home,(we have limited garden space) but - he is so wonderful! His first comment was "You know, I think I could probably till up another 2-3 feet out from where the garden is right now." YAHOO!

I think it's because he was so disappointed that the salsa I canned last year only lasted until February....and he has to eat store-bought salsa now.

<h2>1. How do you calculate the cost of a recipe?</h2><p>At Pampered Chef, we calculate the cost of a recipe by adding up the cost of each ingredient used. This includes the cost of any spices, seasonings, and other pantry staples that may be needed. We also take into account the cost of using kitchen tools and appliances, such as an oven or blender. This allows us to provide an accurate estimate of the total cost of a recipe.</p><h2>2. Is it true that Pampered Chef recipes only cost $2 to $4 per serving?</h2><p>While some of our recipes may have a low cost per serving, this is not true for all of our recipes. The cost of a recipe can vary depending on the ingredients used, the season, and where you shop. Our goal is to provide delicious and affordable recipes for our customers, but the cost may vary for each individual.</p><h2>3. How can I save money while making Pampered Chef recipes?</h2><p>One way to save money while making our recipes is to shop at discount stores or take advantage of sales and coupons. You can also substitute ingredients for more affordable options or use ingredients you already have on hand. Another tip is to buy in bulk and freeze any leftover ingredients for future use.</p><h2>4. Can I use different brands of ingredients in Pampered Chef recipes?</h2><p>Yes, you can use different brands of ingredients in our recipes. We understand that everyone has their own preferred brands and budgets, so feel free to use what works best for you. Just keep in mind that the cost of the recipe may vary depending on the brands you choose.</p><h2>5. Are Pampered Chef recipes worth the cost?</h2><p>We believe that our recipes are worth the cost because they are designed to be delicious, easy to make, and use high-quality ingredients. We also offer a variety of recipes to accommodate different budgets and dietary preferences. Additionally, our recipes are tested and approved by our team of chefs to ensure they meet our high standards of taste and quality.</p>

1. How do you calculate the cost of a recipe?

At Pampered Chef, we calculate the cost of a recipe by adding up the cost of each ingredient used. This includes the cost of any spices, seasonings, and other pantry staples that may be needed. We also take into account the cost of using kitchen tools and appliances, such as an oven or blender. This allows us to provide an accurate estimate of the total cost of a recipe.

2. Is it true that Pampered Chef recipes only cost $2 to $4 per serving?

While some of our recipes may have a low cost per serving, this is not true for all of our recipes. The cost of a recipe can vary depending on the ingredients used, the season, and where you shop. Our goal is to provide delicious and affordable recipes for our customers, but the cost may vary for each individual.

3. How can I save money while making Pampered Chef recipes?

One way to save money while making our recipes is to shop at discount stores or take advantage of sales and coupons. You can also substitute ingredients for more affordable options or use ingredients you already have on hand. Another tip is to buy in bulk and freeze any leftover ingredients for future use.

4. Can I use different brands of ingredients in Pampered Chef recipes?

Yes, you can use different brands of ingredients in our recipes. We understand that everyone has their own preferred brands and budgets, so feel free to use what works best for you. Just keep in mind that the cost of the recipe may vary depending on the brands you choose.

5. Are Pampered Chef recipes worth the cost?

We believe that our recipes are worth the cost because they are designed to be delicious, easy to make, and use high-quality ingredients. We also offer a variety of recipes to accommodate different budgets and dietary preferences. Additionally, our recipes are tested and approved by our team of chefs to ensure they meet our high standards of taste and quality.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • NooraK
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
Replies