• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Much Do You Know About Your Products?

In summary, Gillian shares that she does not know everything about products, prices, and page numbers, but she does know where the biggies are and the prices of the key pieces. She also knows where the other items are located, but does not think it is a big deal for sales. She recommends focusing on other sales techniques like "create a need, fill a need." Finally, she advises someone who wants to be successful to remember what things are made of and to rely on customers to find items in the catalogs.
gilliandanielle
I have been thinking about increasing my show sales, but wondering what I should know about my products. I always share what I use my products for, but am not so great with oven temps, prices and materials they are made of. I was just wondering how much you know (not necessarily what you share at each show) about products. Also, how well do you know where things are in the catalog? I can never find anything and I think it looks really unprofessional when I flip back and forth. I just wanted to see how I compare to other consultants...

I am totally with you Gillian....I wonder how long it takes before you have a good knowledge of them all. I wonder if I should sit down and memorize it all until I've got it locked inside my head. Can't wait to hear what the others say!

It started with my attending my director's show. She knows product numbers, prices, and page numbers. I don't want to know that much, but I am horrible with prices so I made flashcards with new prices and prices of stuff I usually bring and show. I am just tired of feeling like I don't know my stuff!

Oh I am with you guys...I shy away from shows...just because I don't want to fumble. I don't know anything about products, prices, page numbers...NOTHING. I study every day, every night..and I just still don't know it. I don't know what to do.

Think about your Director, Gillian, and the number of shows she does. I think it comes with experience and repetition.

I do not know everything, but I do know where the biggies are--Cookware, Stoneware, Simple Additions, Cutlery--and know the prices of the key pieces like 8" saute pan, the 5" utilty Knife, the large Bar Pan, etc.

I know *basically* where everything else is located.

I don't think it's a big deal for sales. I think focusing on other sales techniques like "create a need, fill a need" would be more effective.

There's a selling skills teleclass I've been meaning to take (again).

I really rely on my customers to find items in the catalogs and try not to worry about the exact details on oven temperatures. One thing that has helped me is creating the need for a product. We did training on this at our last cluster meeting and I realized I had been doing some of it but am now going to be thinking more about it. So instead of talking about what our cutting board is made of I talk about "have you ever been trying to cut something and your cutting board is sliding all over the counter and doing a jig? Then you'll love our cutting board with the grips on the edge. These give you a stable cutting surface"

I know hers comes from repetition, but I felt really foolish at Jana's show. The guests were asking me if I was just starting and I have been doing this for 2.5 years.

I think it is better to know many ways of using a product rather than all the "specifics" but I feel like I am always barely scraping by. When people ask me how much things are I am scared to even ballpark it!!

UGGGG...Well than..that is where I will be..because I cant' remember a damn thing at all. That is a good one though to talk about the cutting board sliding and stuff. I jsut wish I could remember soemthing like that for every single item.

MicheleC said:
I really rely on my customers to find items in the catalogs and try not to worry about the exact details on oven temperatures. One thing that has helped me is creating the need for a product. We did training on this at our last cluster meeting and I realized I had been doing some of it but am now going to be thinking more about it. So instead of talking about what our cutting board is made of I talk about "have you ever been trying to cut something and your cutting board is sliding all over the counter and doing a jig? Then you'll love our cutting board with the grips on the edge. These give you a stable cutting surface"

This is awesome. I definitely need more examples of things like this because I am never going to remember what the heck things are made of.

I used to know ALL the numbers and thought it was great until another director said (in her demo) I don;t study the numbers because I would rather spend that much MORE time with my son/daughter.
I liked that because isn't that why many of us started (so we could spend more time with our family). It is for me.
Well the spin I use when someone ask me what page a product is on I reply it is in the ... Cutting edge section, the first to find it gets a "kiss" panic at first until they see me hold up a "Chocolate Kiss" then they race for that silly piece of chocolate. This also sets you up to see who knows what and who is REALLY Interested.
HTH Laurel

I learn a lot about my products just from using them, Jilly! Those are the things I share at my shows, but what I am talking about is when a customer approaches you and wants more info about a certain product. I had a lady come up to me looking for the salt and pepper mill. It took me three times through the catty to find it and then she started asking me questions about it. I don't have one, and just felt clueless. I know I can't know everything about every product, but I just don't want to feel clueless!

gilliandanielle said:
I learn a lot about my products just from using them, Jilly! Those are the things I share at my shows, but what I am talking about is when a customer approaches you and wants more info about a certain product. I had a lady come up to me looking for the salt and pepper mill. It took me three times through the catty to find it and then she started asking me questions about it. I don't have one, and just felt clueless. I know I can't know everything about every product, but I just don't want to feel clueless!
Gillian, an old director told me to pull out your "Pig" is it still called that?
Your Product Information Guide Start at the beginning and read it in 10 minute breaks. You will learn everything you never wanted to know about every product as well as all you wanted to know.:)

Where do I have/get the product information guide??

gilliandanielle said:
Where do I have/get the product information guide??
We used to get a binder that had all info in it.
It might be in your Recipe For Success= each season we get Updates to add to it or to replace old items.

You can find the PIG on consultant's corner under products and recipes.

My director told me when I first started to read a page or two of it every day. When I'm online, I check it out every now and then. I'm a big reader, so I like to read the use and care guides too. Something I did when I first started (and I should start doing this again...) is to take my catalog with me EVERYWHERE and when I got a few minutes, I'd read through it. I learned a lot there, and though I don't know page numbers, I know about where to find things. Anyhow, product knowledge has been my strong suit...recruiting is where I struggle big time. I'm getting there, though!

I don't know page numbers and prices very well. When I get comfortable with where they are the catalog changes. So I make a joke about that, it usually get's a few laughs. But I do study and use the biggies. Like the ultimate mandolin, I watched a video clip from CC about it and feel I really know this tool. I have one and have used it quite a bit so I am comfortable with it. The cookware I know alot about from the inserts that were sent to us in the changeover packet. I also have several pcs that I earned that I use all the time so I have the book knowledge but also the experience with it. The stoneware I love and learned from reading the inserts that come with the stoneware, plus I have just about every pc of stoneware except the deep covered baker which i will correct very shortly. The forged cutlery, we got the information on that in the changeover package as well. I love the forged cutlery and most of the pcs. I also watched the video on CC for that. I don't know everything about all the products but I believe I know the key points. It's so much easier to remember them when I actually use them. I hope I make sense. But as far as prices go.... I let the catalog do that. LOL

chee65 said:
I don't know page numbers and prices very well. When I get comfortable with where they are the catalog changes. So I make a joke about that, it usually get's a few laughs. But I do study and use the biggies. Like the ultimate mandolin, I watched a video clip from CC about it and feel I really know this tool. I have one and have used it quite a bit so I am comfortable with it. The cookware I know alot about from the inserts that were sent to us in the changeover packet. I also have several pcs that I earned that I use all the time so I have the book knowledge but also the experience with it. The stoneware I love and learned from reading the inserts that come with the stoneware, plus I have just about every pc of stoneware except the deep covered baker which i will correct very shortly. The forged cutlery, we got the information on that in the changeover package as well. I love the forged cutlery and most of the pcs. I also watched the video on CC for that. I don't know everything about all the products but I believe I know the key points. It's so much easier to remember them when I actually use them. I hope I make sense. But as far as prices go.... I let the catalog do that. LOL
Excellent Point; USE IT to Know It! It's easy to talk about what you use.:)

I love my PC products and I really do use them. Another way I get more ideas about a product is I ask my guests if they have the item I'm using in my demo and how they use theirs, I get great ideas.

I make sure I know the pg. #'s for cookware, stoneware, and SA....and prices on some of my top sellers...and that's about the extent of my memory!:eek: I'm much better when it comes to talking about the actual products, ways to use them, dishwasher safe or not, etc.....

I don't know page numbers but what I do is have the guests find the item in the catalog as I use it and whoever finds the page number first, gets a ticket. They share the page number and price. I also give a ticket to the first person who says Got it love it or Don't have it gotta have it. Then at the end of my presentation, I do a drawing for a season's best. It is rowdy but lots of fun and I have had many compliments for letting them talk and not being offended. They are not there to watch me cook. They are there to have fun and shop. If I do notice someone getting upset about the noise because they can't hear, I will take them aside after the show and ask if there are any questions or if they missed something I said and that I will repeat it for them. That way, everyone has a good time and the person who was trying to listen gets some one on one training. I have booked shows because I took the time with them.

You are right about telling guests about many ways to use a product rather than what page it is on, that way they are justifing spending the money for it
If you tell some one 30 different ways to use a Bar pan you get them thinking about all the ways they will use it so they will spend 29.50 , I just keep the recipe for success book or PIG pages with me in case I need to look up something special . You will never remember everything with almost 7 years into this and 75 shows a year or so ,as soon as you think you got it >>>> 60 new products Also TIPS TIPS TIPS on products like the cooling rack across the sink when you decorate cookies , the frosting goes in the sink not on the table , They love that stuff

I know lots about using the products. I was a good customer & host for 10 years before becoming a consultant. When new products come out, I do my best to earn them :D. I buy any of the others I feel I really need. Once they arrive, I leave them out until I'm familiar with them. I read the product guides. I try some of the recipes. I use them lots those first couple of weeks. This way I'm comfortable using them and talking about them.

Of course, people still ask me things I don't know. I tell them that I know a lot, but I don't know everything. I then offer to find out the answer for them. I can't imagine that there's anyone who has all of the answers in their brain. As a matter of fact, I think I'd find that person a bit scary.

I'm horrible with the page numbers and prices. When I first started I spent lots of time trying to memorize that type of thing. Just about the time I got it down, they changed the catalog. :eek:

Now I concentrate on knowing the basic layout of the catalog. (Is the cookware in the front, 1/3 of the way back, or basically at the end?) When someone asks me exactly where to find something, I tell them we have way too many great products for me to keep track of exactly where each one is. :p

I can tell you a lot about the product itself. I have the list of products with page number in my binder that I refer to if I do not know the page number, it only takes a second to look it up.

I try to be honest with my customers and let them know that I don't know everything about every product. If I don't have a product, but have used it, I'll let them know. If I have never used it, I tell them that, too. I never used the veggie peeler until about 8 months ago because it looked cheap and uncomfortable - I'm so excited about the new handles!!! Anyhoo, I tell people that and then go on to say that I broke down and bought one and LOVE it!!! It is amazing how many people get a veggie peeler when I tell that story.

Oh, and if there is a product I don't like or don't think I need, I am honest with them about that, too. However, I let them know that they could try it and if they don't like it, PC will pay to send it back in the first couple of weeks and they could get their money back or something else.

I think if you know the product number, price, and page number of all the products, it make the job look unattainable. You want to paint the picture that they can do this, too.

Focus your talking on the high-priced items, cookware (10 minutes!), stoneware (10 minutes!-dwell on the higher priced stones), Forged Cutlery, Simple Additions, and Woven Selections. Go quickly over the lower priced items, always emphasizing why they need them in multiples. They will find the $1.25 knives on their own!!

I've been writing down all the page numbers for the products I use with each recipe & using it as a cheat sheet for shows. But I forgot to get it out for my last two shows & I had more bookings & recruit leads & a better time when I didn't worry about it. If they ask, I'll tell them how much & what page if I remember, if not, I'll ask someone if they can find it in the catalog. I joke about how many products there are & I let the catalog tell them the prices for me. Maybe I should bring kisses for that reason so I can give them out to those who find the products in the catalog.

I honestly don't think people care if we know the page numbers & prices since they can find it themselves. I would rather hear how to use it. If someone thinks poorly of you for not knowing it, pooh on them!

Thanks for all the responses! I feel better knowing I am not the only one who doesn't know it all!

For me, knowing prices and page numbers is not a priority at all. (Yes a little general knowledge is fine but that comes with experience).
As someone wrote, the PIG is on the CC. At the end of the description of each product there are demo talking points to bring across.

I find it helpful to have guests demo the product that they either have problems figuring out (can opener, UM, etc.) Our Ex. Dir. tells us to sell the sizzle...not the steak. If you describe a steak as:
juicy, tender, mouthwatering, melt in your mouth entree
OR
100% pure beef with thiamine, iron etc. approximately 100 to 150 calories per serving depending on how you cook it.

Which would you order???

The same goes with our products. Everyone I know is busy so one of the features of the prep bowls would be...Before the week begins, chop vegetables and put them in our prep bowls. Imagine having each bowl filled with either chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped red pepper, grated cheddar cheese etc. and then coming home and being able fix a quick and nutritious dinner for you and your family to enjoy. You can add the chopped veggies to an egg for a delicious omlet or to a casserole or pan fry and add grd. beef. Or have the guests come up with what they would do with the chopped foods.

This is only one example. Even those that are more experienced can stand to learn more about the "sizzle of our products (one area I need to work on!)
For me... prices change, page numbers change. Product knowledge will help you increase sales far more than knowing page numbers and prices.
Think I'll head to the CC right know and get crackin'!!!;)
Ann

Gillian, I too think my time can be better spent in other areas than memorizing the product prices, pg #'s. By time you get it down, the catalog has changed. Oh the power of the "cheat sheet" Also, if they ask a price...just say, Free...if you host your own show". Valky

yummy4tummy said:
Gillian, I too think my time can be better spent in other areas than memorizing the product prices, pg #'s. By time you get it down, the catalog has changed. Oh the power of the "cheat sheet" Also, if they ask a price...just say, Free...if you host your own show". Valky
I LOVE this line, Valky!! Thanks...it has officially been stolen :D!

Great point Valky! Everything in our catalog is free when you host your show! I'm going to use that at my show tonight...hopefully not the one show noone asks :).

speedychef said:
You can find the PIG on consultant's corner under products and recipes.

I printed mine off and have it in a binder. I did it years ago and have to just update it every three months or so. I probably would not print the whoel thing again HOWEVER I love that I do have it to access any time I want.

yummy4tummy said:
Also, if they ask a price...just say, Free...if you host your own show". Valky

That's a wonderful response!! I will have to try to remember that!!

I hardly know where anything is in the catalogue. I can remeber very few materials products are made of, and I am BAD at prices. I'll tell you a couple of tricks I've learned.

When they ask where something is in the catalogue, I say, "I'm not sure because as soon as I get it memorized, they get a new catalogue! So I give up, but together we can find it." Then I grab a catalogue and help them find it. They usually laugh and sometimes finish the statement for me by saying, "they get a new catalogue!"

When they ask about a price, I think about what I think it might be, then round it up and tell them I'm not exactly sure- they never hold it against me. Then when I find it in the catalogue and it's a bit cheaper, we look really good!

I agree with the others that using emotion and reason to sell instead of memorization is the most important thing. Make jokes about what you don't know, etc, and people will laugh with you. Use a joke like, "See, you know as much as me! You could do my job, too!"

This is one of the things that makes me scared to do my 1st show. I think oh my goodness how I am going to remember the names and numbers of ewverything. I am going to check out the consultants corner though and look for the "pig". thanks for the heads up on that.

Yes that..knowing everything and remembering to just sayng stuff like how many of you have had burnt cookies etc etc. I rarely have had burnt cookies because I never cooked before PC. So I am trying to say..now how many of you many of you thought stone was something we threw at boys we liked in grade school or a chopper was a bad beautician....lol well that was me..becuase I had no clue what in the heck this stuff was or how to use it. I didn't cook. I am trying to find ways to relate again because I never cooked..so is really really hard for me..well beyond page numbers and prices.

Jilley- my director taught me to link a product and a "line" like a joke or tip. That way, every time you talk about a product the tip or joke will eventually just pop into your head!

That's a good tip, Gillian.

If you mention that you've only been doing PC for a short time (and don't define short), people will cut you some slack about knowing everything about all the products. I try to be honest with my customers. When they ask me about something I haven't used, I tell them, "Honestly, I haven't worked that much with xxx. But I know consultants who just love it! If you think it's something you would like, let's get it on your order."

And I try to know the general categories for products. So if someone asks me where the EAD is in the book, I can tell them that it's with the baking items, and there's a heading on the top corner of the catalog pages to help them find it.

But memorizing prices or page numbers? Bah!

Lisa821 said:
This is one of the things that makes me scared to do my 1st show. I think oh my goodness how I am going to remember the names and numbers of ewverything. I am going to check out the consultants corner though and look for the "pig". thanks for the heads up on that.

I was terrified my first show! The guests talked more about the products than I did!!! What I teach my new consultants is...whenever you feel so nervous or you think you are bombing...ask the guests if anyone has the (product that you are using). Some will say yes. For those that say yes, ask them what they like about that product or if it is a stone...what do you cook on it? Invite others to share their experiences. Guests will sell more products for us this way!!

Think of your first show as riding a 2 wheel bicycle. The first time you rode your bike without training wheels, were you able to do jumps or do any other tricks with it? BAHHHHHH!!! Heck no!! It was all you could do to keep your balance! The same thing with your first shows. Learn how to ride your bike before you try to make it do tricks!! You WILL get there! Good luck!
Ann

Great advice thank you..hearing these thread always calms me down. ....thank god. I didn't keep my balance though..i fell flat on my face and I may have even need stitches...LOL

I've been creating a spreadsheet of our product line and host combo's with every new catalog, that can be sorted by page #, product #, price, etc., then distributed it to my cluster. I thought I saw somewhere recently that the HO was going to start including the product line in the same application/format, on line so we could down load it. I haven't prepared the SS 07 for that reason. If they don't soon, or if it's not as user friendly~I'll gladly share and post. I print off the variations (different sorts) and use it during my intro, before my demo. I let my guests know it's avail during the show, for quick ref to an item in case I'm busy helping someone else. I use a thin 3 ring binder and also have page protected copies of sales specials for Host and Guest and Recruiting info. I use it as a prop to keep the flow of my intro. Anyway...please let me know if anyelse remembers seeing the info about HO making that download avail. thx

Last edited:
I think HO already has this under downloads (you have to click the tab) but it isn't updated for the new catty yet...

On CC...On the right hand side of the screen is the box labled Frequently Visited Sites. Under here you will see the link tot he Product Information Guide or "PIG". Under Download Center at the very bottom is "Products and Recipes". You will find the entire listing of catlog products in various sorts.
My favorite is alphabetical. Check it out.

Attachments

• productlist_alpha.pdf
    443.3 KB · Views: 276
Thanks John! I thought I had read that they know had that available. Another time saving aid. Even though I know the names of the products, and almost all the prices I always get tripped up at the start of a selling season when items shift and we have new items. Love these lists, thanx.

That is a great tool!!

I get my customers to try and answer each others questions with the Pampered Poker game. Like when someone asks page or price, I point out that they asked a question and it's 2 pts to whomever can answer first. Then I'm not stopping the demo and getting them to look in the catty :)

I would be lost without these!Several people out here have kept us in the "know" with lists like these for years but now HO does it for us. I could not find my way around the catalog if I tried. I used to have guests look up stuff too and give a little prize for finding them but Don Funt was one who said that if you know your products and where to find them in the catalog, you look more profeessional and therfore it actually can increase sales and interest in the business. I have been using these cheat sheets for years. And I found that the alphabetical one works best for me because I can figure out the name of something faster than I can figure out the price, page number or item number.
Tell me the truth? Would it not be easier to find the name of the white slicy thingy with the blades as opposed to the item# on a list? Or that thing that makes those funny cuts on carrots? (Those are real descriptions I have gotten from customers!) So the Ultimate MAndloine and the Crinkle Cutter are easy to find. Then the page number, price, item number are all there too!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pc_jessica
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pc_jessica
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • dkitten13
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies