• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Many of You Hand a Catalog to Some One at a Store or Doctor's

In summary, you give out catalogs to people to get their attention. You mention PC when you give them out and you suggest the mini catalogs.
How many of you hand a catalog to some one at a store or doctor's office, etc? I really want to have the guts and to get out of my comfort zone to do this.

HELP!!!!! Pretty, please. ;)

I hand them out to everyone! I carry the catalog tote, and anyone that shows an interest gets one. I always mention PC. I go to a dept store, I give one to the clerk, at the bank.. Everyone.. Most people won't turn it away. I just ask them to pass it around or leave it for someone else.. Just to get my name out there. Good luck!

maryhenderlite said:
I hand them out to everyone! I carry the catalog tote, and anyone that shows an interest gets one. I always mention PC. I go to a dept store, I give one to the clerk, at the bank.. Everyone.. Most people won't turn it away. I just ask them to pass it around or leave it for someone else.. Just to get my name out there. Good luck!

How do you mention it tp people you meet?

I don't know if I can help here but I certainly can relate. I am not a shy person but I do have the fear of trying to sell. I equate it in my mind with those that I've had to chase off the property of the places I've worked because they are bothering customers. I don't want to be a bother,nor do I want to be seen as a pushy salesman. So, here's my pitch.

Whenever I have to go anywhere anymore I dress up a little...just enough so that I don't look like I don't care. I treat every one I meet as if they are a potential host, especially those that I'm doing business with by paying bills or checking out at Walmart. Everyone who works with the public appreciates a frriendly smile and a second of kind words. I know I do. So, after we are done, I will say something like, "You've been so nice to me and I really appreciate it. I just got started with my Pampered Chef business and I bet you would be a wonderful host for a show. What would you say to inviting a few friends over to your home and letting me come pamper you? I do all the work and you get all the free and discounted stuff."

I've been told also that if I hand a catalog to someone, I need to get their information. It was put to me like this...I give them my stuff and they give me their stuff.

One other thing I would suggest is the mini catalogs. They are much cheaper than the big ones, fit into your purse for giving out better, and you can make stickers to put on them saying they can contact you for a full size catalog. You can also use them as your business card when someone wants your information.

Please continue to push yourself out of your comfort zone. I know I will spend hours a day planning who I will talk to and what I will say but when it comes down to it, I waste that time because I don't push myself to actually make the contact. This is very hard for me but I'm determined to make it second nature. You can do this too. ;)

TicklerI haven't done this yet with PC, but with Partylite they have a card that you can put a tealight in and I have been handing those out when I go to businesses I frequent. I say to them here is a gift for you. I get oooh you are a PL consultant. COOL! I have handed out about 10 so far and have been asked for catalogs. I have two that are interested and will be followng up on those as well as the others. I am going to do the same with the orange peeler from PC. I am going to put my BC in there and hand those out too! I have a small rubbermaid container in my car and I have put in there catalogs and the peelers. ( I overordered for a summit I did). If it goes well I am getting more. I am going to the dentist at the end of May and I am going to give one to all the girls there! Just a card or catalog doesn't always work, a little token gets remembered I think!

Wear something PC... a t-shirt, carry a bag, wear a pin, something, then someone will ask about it, and you didn't bring it up,... much more comfortable .

Sometimes people will mention..." I need a stone!" I give them my business card or something... and I never hear from them. I have SEVERAL catalogs out there, that possibly went into the trash can...
I gave my PC credit card to the cashier at the grocery store to pay for groceries, and she asked what PC was... I told her, then when I went to the car, I got a catalog and brought it back in to her... I haven't heard a thing from her, but she remembers me everytime I go in there, and someday I'm hoping she'll show more interest.
Little by little you get your name out there!
And sooner or later it will pay off!!

I had my "yearly" check up last month and asked the receptionist if they had a lunch/break room for the staff. When she said "yes" I asked her if I could leave a few PC catalogs with her. She again said "yes". Is all you have to do is ask. It is as simple as that.

pkd09 said:
I had my "yearly" check up last month and asked the receptionist if they had a lunch/break room for the staff. When she said "yes" I asked her if I could leave a few PC catalogs with her. She again said "yes". Is all you have to do is ask. It is as simple as that.

With the catalogs you leave for the break room, you could offer a little incentive for everyone in the office to order by offering host rewards. Create a flyer to go along with the catalogs that says if total office sales exceed $150 you will hold a drawing for $15 off, etc. Kind of turn it into a Mystery Host Catalog Show.

I have a flyer that I can attach that is along the lines of "There is a Mystery Host Among You!" When I go to the dentist or doctor's I ask if I can bring a snack for them and some catalogs and we will put together a little show at the office and someone will win the host bennies. I attach one of these flyers to a catalog and slip in 3 OOF, I give about a stack of 10 of these. I have never had anyone turn me down. The shows are never really great but I have gotten a few bookings.

I am always afraid to give my catalog to someone who didn't ask for it. If someone asked me if they could leave a biker gear catalog at my workplace I would say yes knowing full well that I don't want it and will throw it away. I don't want to give my catalogs to someone that will throw them away!! Also a lot of you said you gave them out and never heard from the people. At HO training they said to always get the interested persons info, but grocery store clerks don't have the time to fill out a door prize slip. How do you get those people's info?

Gillian Wright
Wasilla, Alaska

I had my grocery store clerk put her name and phone number on the back of my receipt!

Good idea Kate! I just picture my grocery store where there are 10 people in line behind me getting pissed because I am trying to convince the checker to write her info down instead of just taking mine. Maybe you guys have slower paced stores, but our checkers work up a sweat!!

gilliandanielle said:
I am always afraid to give my catalog to someone who didn't ask for it. If someone asked me if they could leave a biker gear catalog at my workplace I would say yes knowing full well that I don't want it and will throw it away. I don't want to give my catalogs to someone that will throw them away!! Also a lot of you said you gave them out and never heard from the people. At HO training they said to always get the interested persons info, but grocery store clerks don't have the time to fill out a door prize slip. How do you get those people's info?

Gillian Wright
Wasilla, Alaska

First, not everyone wear's "biker gear" but, everyone eats and almost everyone has a kitchen!

Secondly, when people ask me for a catalog I tell them that I don't have one (unless they are at a place that I know I will see them again) and I ask for their info instead, name and phone # is fine. After I have their info I tell them that I will call them to get their address to mail them a catalog.

soonerchef said:
First, not everyone wear's "biker gear" but, everyone eats and almost everyone has a kitchen!

Secondly, when people ask me for a catalog I tell them that I don't have one (unless they are at a place that I know I will see them again) and I ask for their info instead, name and phone # is fine. After I have their info I tell them that I will call them to get their address to mail them a catalog.
Yah, I do the same thing. After years of toting around catalogs I got tired of always giving and never receiving. Instead I wear PC clothing now and that always seems to spark interest. When it does, I tell them I would be happy to mail them a catalog and ALWAYS ASK if I can follow up. That's the key!! It's easier than you think to say something like... I don't have a catalog on me since I've downsized my purse but I'd be happy to mail you one.....I'll call you in a few days make sure it arrived and answer any questions you have. How does that sound?.... Everyone says okay!
If I ever encounter someone who says they don't want to be called, I will just give them a business card and tell them they can view the catalog online. If for some reason they can't access the web I will probably mail them a catalog anyway but I know there's little chance I will hear from them. For me this has been more cost effective. My 1st year in business I gave away close to 70 catalogs and can count the number of people who placed an order or called me on one hand. It was an expensive lesson.

Thanks Andrea, that is a good idea to just get thier name and number and get the address later. It saves time when there isn't any! I really don't want to be stingy with my catalogs, because you never know what could happen, but I find it hard to give out catalogs to people who are probably taking it just to be nice!

Your welcome, the other reason I like to get their phone number is so that I can talk about hosting and recruiting with them. It works pretty well with getting those extra bookings.

Rummage SalesToday, I started my rummage sale shopping and wanted to mention to people about my PC business, but didn't. My sister convinced me not too!:mad: Has anyone done that before? I thought it would of been perfect becuase they were Mom's selling their kids clothes and must know of PC.

Hey whose business is it anyway?If you want to ask, then ask. You know how you feel about the idea and you go for it. If your sister decides she wants to be a consultant, then she can make that decision for herself. NEVER LET ANYONE STEP ON YOUR BUSINESS!
So take a tote to pick up stuff but fill it with catalogs to drop off stuff too!
I get crappy remarks like that from my other half as well as my mom. Well, guess what, I just do what I want to anyway. Sometimes I am way off base and sometimes I am right on the money.
But I would never have known if I had not taken that chance and listened to my own heart.
After all, it's my business, my choice and my problem if it doesn't work. BUT IT'S MINE!

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
If you want to ask, then ask. You know how you feel about the idea and you go for it. If your sister decides she wants to be a consultant, then she can make that decision for herself. NEVER LET ANYONE STEP ON YOUR BUSINESS!
So take a tote to pick up stuff but fill it with catalogs to drop off stuff too!
I get crappy remarks like that from my other half as well as my mom. Well, guess what, I just do what I want to anyway. Sometimes I am way off base and sometimes I am right on the money.
But I would never have known if I had not taken that chance and listened to my own heart.
After all, it's my business, my choice and my problem if it doesn't work. BUT IT'S MINE!

God bless ya, John! I needed to hear that!

You are very welcomeThat is one of the hardest things to remember about our selves. It is ALL up to us. And I hate it when I hear about husbands that don't cooperate, or remarks that other people make to all of us that bring our businesses down. Not to mention our own self esteem. If someone had told Ben Franklin that he was a total boob for flying a kite with a key, we'd all still be in the dark. If Thomas Edison had listened to his friends say he was a fool for putting a wire in a vacuum bottle, we would all still be in the dark.
Well, guess what? We're NOT!!! Because they did what they needed to do and that is to stand up and do what they we needed to do!

WE NEED TO STAND TALL AND PROUD AND STAY THAT WAY! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

I have a saying that I saw once on a t-shirt of all things and this fits almost all negative situations in life. And it really fits our business: Oh and I am sorry it has a bit of "Language" in it so I will change one word.
"I would love to see things from your point of view. But I don't think I can get my head that far up my butt!"
If you simply believe what others tell you about your ideas that they are crazy or stupid or whatever and that your point of view is wrong based on what everyone else thinks, then you will never try anything. "If you do not try, you have already failed."
So never stop doing it your way and you will NEVER fail!

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
If someone had told Ben Franklin that he was a total boob for flying a kite with a key, we'd all still be in the dark. If Thomas Edison had listened to his friends say he was a fool for putting a wire in a vacuum bottle, we would all still be in the dark.

Or, someone else would have done it. If you don't recruit/sell/discuss/you get the picture, someone else will do it for you!:)

I am in my SS1 and was offered the opportunity to sit at the local mall with a pampered chef table (for free) and talk to people, raffle off a free saute pan, and try to get potential bookings. I was a little nervous but I did it last weekend and I was told ahead of time to only bring 2-3 new catalogs with me and be picky who you give them to because there would be a ton of fall/winter catalogs to give out. So when people asked for a catalog I gave them an old one but told them to call me or give me their info and I would send them a new catalog. I had 3 people give me their info for a new cataolg..so I am taking advantage of this and sending them a little note and a copy of the May, and June host and guest offers. I figured this way I am hitting them a second time with an offer. If they never order, then it will be OK but if they do order, refer a friend or book a show then it was a success!

Even one person...getting back to you is a success. However, you may never know it for years!
I have doing our state fair since the begining of my time - this will be year 6 - and I have only gotten one show out of it. At least that is what I thought.
What I did not know was that 5 years ago this lady named Mary signed up to get a catalog. I sent her the new one and never heard from her again.
What I did not know was this. Mary is an inlaw of a person I used to go to school with and was in 4-H with. mary passed the catalog to her. Well, last fall this inlaw attended the show of a mutal friend or ours and booked a show. At her show, Mary came. Mary booked a show. Mary's show only took 5.25 years to get to but she did. And I got two more shows out of the deal.
SO you never know how it will progress.
I hope you do very well from it. And never look at resulting "nothing" as bad. It put you out there and gave you some practice for the next one.

pampered1224 said:
getting back to you is a success. However, you may never know it for years!
I have doing our state fair since the begining of my time - this will be year 6 - and I have only gotten one show out of it. At least that is what I thought.
What I did not know was that 5 years ago this lady named Mary signed up to get a catalog. I sent her the new one and never heard from her again.
What I did not know was this. Mary is an inlaw of a person I used to go to school with and was in 4-H with. mary passed the catalog to her. Well, last fall this inlaw attended the show of a mutal friend or ours and booked a show. At her show, Mary came. Mary booked a show. Mary's show only took 5.25 years to get to but she did. And I got two more shows out of the deal.
SO you never know how it will progress.
I hope you do very well from it. And never look at resulting "nothing" as bad. It put you out there and gave you some practice for the next one.

That is what I hope happens anytime I give a catalog to someone, whether it was at a show or in passing. ;) ;)

1. How do I approach someone at a store or doctor's office to hand them a catalog?

It's always best to start with a friendly greeting and a smile. Introduce yourself as a representative of Pampered Chef and explain that you have some product catalogs that you would like to share with them. Be sure to ask if they have a moment to take a look at the catalog and if they are interested in any specific products.

2. What should I do if someone declines my offer for a catalog?

It's important to respect the person's decision and not push them. Thank them for their time and let them know that you are available if they change their mind in the future. You can also offer to leave a catalog with them for them to look at later.

3. Can I leave my business card with the catalog?

Absolutely! Leaving a business card is a great way to make yourself available for any questions or orders the person may have. It also shows that you are a professional and trustworthy representative of Pampered Chef.

4. Are there any guidelines or restrictions for handing out catalogs at public places?

It's always best to check with the store or office first to make sure they allow outside vendors. If they do, be sure to follow any rules or guidelines they may have in place. Additionally, it's important to be respectful of people's personal space and not be too pushy or aggressive when offering the catalog.

5. What should I do if someone shows interest in purchasing products from the catalog?

Great question! If someone expresses interest in purchasing products, be sure to have a pen and order forms with you. You can either take their order directly or offer to schedule a time to deliver the products in person or through the mail. And don't forget to thank them for their support and business!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Leanna
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies