• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Many Have Already Forgotten?

In summary, Janet shares her thoughts on 9-11 and how it has affected her personal life. She also discusses December 7th, which she remembers as the day the world changed.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
It is 2 days away from the 6 year anniversary of 9-11. The theme afterwards was "We will never forget..." I look around me and think of how many people already are too young to experience it or how many people already live life as if it never happened taking their lives and freedom for granted.

Please take a moment this week to say a prayer for all those who lost something that day, and for all those who are serving daily to protect our lives and our freedom...whether it be the military, our firefighters and policemen, even the person scheduling our appointments at the doctor's office who helps the nurses and doctors care for our lives.

Let's not be part of the America of complaceny and forget the constant sacrifices given to protect our wonderful freedoms.

I agree with you Janet - I hope people never forget that day. Both my husband and I knew people who died that day and it always saddens me to think of all the lives cut short.

Janet, thank you for this post. I agree, too many people have forgotten. I was in the Air Force at the time and I know that I will never forget that day or how it changed everything. Once again thank you for this post.

Thank you Janet... I'm always pushed to tears when I think of all who were lost, their families that still grieve and our military who so bravely defend our freedom. Our flag flying always gives me pause to think of our soldiers and their families... and to pray for them.

Janet~

Thank you for the reminder...I think it's important to remember all of our public servants who put themselves on the line everyday for all of us...as well as all of those who were lost on 9-11.

Janet, thanks for the post. I know I will never forget 9/11. I too knew someone who died and since I live only 10 miles away, if that, that whole day we could see smoke where we live. It still seems like yesterday. I know my life was changed forever that day.

I honestly don't think we forget - we just don't discuss it on a daily basis. It is in my thoughts all the time. Even though I don't live close to it my best friend lives in Brooklyn. I happend to be home that day because I had just been laid off from my job of 15 years. I always watch the morning news shows and saw it right before my children left for school (This was before the second one hit so at the time we thought it might just be an accident). My husband called and I said, "I don't think that was an accident. It's a beautiful clear day in NY." Then the second hit. What a sick feeling (words can't describe)! Sure made my problems seem so small!

Not only do I not forget 9/11 I always remember December 7th as well.

pampchefrhondab said:
I honestly don't think we forget - we just don't discuss it on a daily basis.

This is what I think too! How can any of us old enough to remember ever forget? I'm too young to remember Pearl Harbor, but I know how I felt when I saw the 2nd plane crash into the WTC. I know how I felt that day and the days that followed as we watched the news nonstop.

Blessings and peace to those who lost family and friends in this terrible tragedy.

Where I was working at the time we had CNN on all the time to keep up with current events. It seemed odd when the first plane hit and I was thinking - This doesn't seem like an accident. When the second one hit I thought it was a replay of the first one. Then when I saw so much fire I kept thinking how are they ever going to conatin something like this in a high rise.
You know how CNN plays things over and over again. My 40th birthday was just days after this tragedy. I was SOOOO depressed.

I will never forget! The innocent people and heroes that perished and the people that continue to fight and support those that fight for our freedoms.

Thank you Janet for this thread. I will never forget where I was and who I was with when the 1st plane went into the tower. I was at home with my 10 month old son and watching Good Morning America when it happened. I stood there stunned and called my husband right away. Then the second tower went down and I started balling my eyes out. Just to see men and women jumping out of windows to death instead of being burned. Those visions will never be out of my head.

I thank soldiers when I see them and tell them Thank you. I don't think the men and women in the military, firefighters and police officers now what they do for us everyday and for that I can never repay them.

I was puttering around on the web that morning... nowhere near news sites or blogs that would have posted about it. I was actually on the interstate when I heard about it on the radio. I almost went off the road in my shock. I was going to my college to help my sorority with recruitment. We all sat at our recruiting table, wondering what the heck we were doing there that day, helpless to do anything to make any sort of a difference.I'll never forget that horrible feeling of helplessness.

I know that I will never forget. My cousin was in the building and was not able to contact anyone for hours. We did not know for many hours whether or not he was alive. My Grandmother lives in Manhattan and watched both towers fall knowing that her grandson was in that building that day. Being that I live so close to the city I was able to see the smoke from my home.

I remember that day everytime I see a plane that is flying a little low. I hope that noone ever forgets that day or forgets the men and women in the military and the firefighters and police who are still risking their lives everyday for all of us. The least we could do is remember them.

I had just flown home from a long weekend the night before. That morning I was on the interstate driving downtown for work. While I was in my car it was still speculated that is was a small plane. When I was walking through the lobby (I worked for a large bank and we shared a parking deck with the Atlanta Hilton Hotel so I was cutting through the lobby to get my morning Starbucks fix), everyone in the hotel lobby was glued to the tv's in the lounge. It was very scary. Everything in downtown Atlanta closed early that morning and drivng home was very weird. All the traffic signs had terror warnings on them. I drove past the airport in my commute and there were no planes in the skies. I came home and sat in my living room for two days watching the news channels. I did not lose any personal friends or family. No, I will never forget that day.

I will never forget. I remember right where I was and what I was doing when my husband called me at work, then I remember telling my co-workers. The world seemed to come to a stand-still.:(

I just did my lesson plans for the upcoming week and am planning to observe a remembrance with my 2nd graders. Reading Rainbow came out with a program called "The Tin Forest" where Lavar visits a school very near ground zero. The outpouring of love and support that those kids received from around the world was phenomenal. It always makes a big impact on my kids. One of my students has a father serving in Iraq right now. We plan to "adopt" him and become pen pals. This post got me to thinking that next year some of my kids will not have even been born yet when the attacks happened.

I too, remember the day - it was my 2nd Anniversary, I was driving to work with my then 4 month old daughter in the car seat in back. I was just passing our fire station as it came over the radio about the first plane. I called my DH immediately and he flipped on the TV...it was too surreal...people kept thinking it was a movie preview or a joke or something else. I still also remember the exact place I was when the shuttle exploded in 1986. On 9-11-01 though, many, many more lives were lost. Many of us have had wars happen in our lifetime, but very few of us that aren't military families have gotten to experience any effects to our daily lives. We haven't had to ration or food and use food stamps or other difficulties during the time.

I hope I can teach my kids to love and respect those who sacrifice for us!

thank you Janet.
I will too always remember where I was and watching that 2nd plane.

I live just 45 minutes outside of New York City. I will never forget. I knew many people who lost loved ones. My best friend lost her fiance. He was a firefighter and never found.
That day is forever etched in my mind.

I can't imagine that anyone will ever forget. Not a day goes by. My hometown is 40 minutes out of the city and when driving out of my mom's street, the view is of the NYC skyline. Anytime we visit now, it's startling to see the changed skyline. I lost my first college roommate . She was in the 2nd tower hit, the first one to fall. One of my other college suitemates - her boyfriend was one of the NJ firefighters who went over the bridge to help - he didn't come out alive...our other suitemate's childhood friend worked in tower 1 and was never found. I could go on & on about the people I knew or was connected to who perished but it's not about me. It's about them. So...here's a reminder that we should never forget Alison, Greg and Dana. And to those who lay their lives on the line every single day to protect us...thank you and God Bless You.

Thank you Janet, although 9-11 was not forgotten for my family is something that I believe is not staying as fresh in our minds as it should be... God Bless the United States of America and the troops who work hard everyday and make sacrifices for us everyday. It does not go unnoticed and will never be forgotten...

Okay, I am sorry if this has been posted already but I recieved an email this week about remembering 9-11 and showing support for our troops and the email asked that we all drive with our lights on that day... Lights on for 9-11... I dont know if anyone else got that email but just wanted to share :)

Carissidy said:
Okay, I am sorry if this has been posted already but I recieved an email this week about remembering 9-11 and showing support for our troops and the email asked that we all drive with our lights on that day... Lights on for 9-11... I dont know if anyone else got that email but just wanted to share :)

Mommyhugz (Leah) actually sent me that email.

I will always remeber what I was doing I was 6 months pregnant with #1 and I was getting ready to go to work. We all sat around the radio listening for the news. I called my mom and she told me the towers fell and I did not believe her. I really would like to thank all the families of the Military for taking this time away from thier loved ones to fight for our Country.

That all happened the day before my DD's 2nd Birthday. We were all sitting there at her party the next day trying to get our minds off of it but who could???

Sept 11th is my In-Laws wedding anniversary.

I'll definitely never forget. I was 5 months pregnant with my 2nd son, and couldn't even function the entire day at work - my DH had to come an hour out of his way to pick me up and take me home. I hugged my then-2-year-old tight and wondered how I would bring up 2 little boys in this scary world. I'm just trying to teach them to have good morals and values, and respect people who work hard to help us in any way.

All of the kids at their elementary school will be wearing Red, White & Blue on Tuesday at school, and ever since 2002 they have lunch with fire fighters, policemen & women and other community service providers from our area, as a way to honor them for everything they do for us. Many of the kids at that school probably won't remember that day like we do, but they know that it's an important day to show those people how much we value them!!

I will definately never forget either; I don't know how anyone could. I'll always remember that surreal feeling that it couldn't be happening..

I will never forget, either. I remember every detail of that day...and I don't remember things too well.

I remember that I was watching a tape from the night before - my sister called me to say a plane had hit the WTC - my first thought was how bad of a pilot was that? Of course we all know the rest. I was glued to my tv with my daughter who was 6 months old at the time - it's weird how you remember days of tragedy. My oldest was 5 months old when the Oklahoma City Bombing occurred and I remember the incredible sadness of watching that unfold as well. Then to find out that I knew someone in the WTC who didn't make it from my college days and that my husband knew someone in the Pentagon who he went to school with as a kid. It has affected everyone in some way and is really just a sad commentary of life. Remember to fly your flags as well tomorrow.

As I sit here thinking of that day, tears fill my eyes. I remember I was at home that morning with my two little ones. My husband,who is in the Army, just shook our heads in disbelief. That day was a day filled with so many emotions. Deep profound sadness for those lost loved ones and for the families who searched in complete chaos for their family hoping they were alive. Confusion as to what had actually happened, and fear. My fear was for what terror ould happen next as well as the fear for my husband.
My husband was a tank platoon leader in the Army at the time. The Army was on high alert. None of us knew when our soldiers would deploy, but we all knew they would soon! My husband ending up not deploying until later for year in Iraq.
The March after September 11th happened our family took a trip to ground zero and stared into the gaping wound left but those attacks. We prayed there for all who were touch by this tradegy.
I will never forget those lost that day nor the thousand of soldiers lost since!

I think it's something that's always in the back of my mind, but I'm shocked at how easily these things slip from our social consciousness. Thank you, Janet, for the reminder that this should be something we're aware of in a very deliberate way this week.

Maybe some have forgotten, but I know I have not. I didn't lose anyone personally on 9/11, but have lost more than I care count since then. My husband is in the Army so we know all to well how short life can be.

I remember exactly what I was doing, and how I was ready to bring my 1st child into this world at any day. I didn't see my husband for days as we were living in Germany and our safety was in question given the post's mission and staff. It was about 3PM local time and I was finishing my break from cleaning (scrubbing the house actually- nesting). I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I remember having a 1 week old daughter when the contractor came into my apartment and put Mylar sheathing on the windows so the glass wouldn't shatter, just fracture, if a bomb or grenade went off at the fence line (never mind the fact the building wouldn't be standing if this happened). I rmember wondering if my mom would be able to come and see her 1st grandchild. She flew the 1st day international flights were allowed to leave the US...nothing was keeping her away from her 1st grandchild.

Please say a prayer for all those who have given their lives, their families, and as odd as this sounds all of those who wish us harm...I feel we need to pray they see the error of their ways and that they change their hearts - violence against innocent people is not the answer to make your point.

Thanks for this thread Janet. As we can tell, none of us have forgotten. But unfortunately I think there are alot who have. Let us all take a moment on Tuesday, and every other day to thank those brave men and women of the fire department, police department, and armed services who risk their lives for our safety. Be sure to discuss this and other important dates in history with your children (age appropriate). Too many children are brought up today not learning about the price that has been paid for our freedom and the brave souls that protect us. God Bless America, our brave protectors and their families and loved ones!

My husband reminded us of this yesterday at church. We said a special prayer for those who had lost loved ones. We always pray for our military men and women. Several of our local boys are in Iraq.

It saddens me that people blame our government for the attacks and complain about our military being in other countries. My husband was in the reserves for 17 years. He never had to go to war, but was actually called 3 times during Desert Storm...they called them off each time. It was a very scary feeling. We had a new baby and a new farm with a ton of debt to go with it. He was worried about leaving us to take care of all of this and if we could make it if he had to go. I was worried about him.

I am so proud of our military personnel, but I think we take them...and our firefighters and policemen...for granted.

Churches were filled after the attacks, but it didn't take long for life to go back to "normal" and people began to take things for granted again. The world will continue to get worse and worse...because it says so in the Bible. Whether we like it or not, I believe we are living in the last days. I see prophecy after prophecy being fulfilled. But this is a whole new thread.

Thanks Janet for reminding us. I hope you will all pray for those who lost loved ones during 9-11, but also for our current military, firefighters and police. And, it doesn't hurt to say thanks when you see them...buy them lunch if you can. We need to be a blessing to them.

Thank you Janet for that reminder.... I was at home that day with my newborn baby... (now six) watching the news... I also dropped her that I was so in shock of what happen!!! it always brings me to tears when I think of that day .. and then I think about all the men and women who are soliders fighting for our freedoms..... I thank god everyday for that!!!

Don't forget to put your flags out today!!!

Christ Follower said:
Don't forget to put your flags out today!!!

Actually around here, they are all lowered to half-mast in honor of those lives lost. I haven't checked to see if that is a "national decree" yet.

I don't think I will EVER have a "normal" wedding anniversary...we always think of this tragedy on this day....

September 11th is considered Patriot Day, 2007. I will post a thread about flags for today.

Bumping from last year - on purpose!

Hadn't forgotton about the anniversary, but I'm glad to get a reminder about the flags - I'll have to get DH to change his Cubs one for the stars and stripes.

DD will be wearing red white and blue to school tomorrow. I'm teary eyed reading this thread... I will also never forget seeing it unfold on TV. It was and still is so unbelievable. Such a huge tragedy... I just think of how devestated I would be to lose a family member or friend like that. And also remembering those who have lost loved ones in the military, what a sacrifice.

I will never forget.

i remember i was at work downtown a block from the sears tower. we evacuated when the second tower fell and thank G-d there was a train due to leave for my suburb 10 minutes later. what a scary ride home! then i picked up DS from daycare and watched CNN the rest of the day.

you all may "yell" at me...i am doing a show tomorrow night. the host and i discussed it, and we thought it was appropriate to celebrate our country, our culture, and our resilience in the face of evil. after all, bin ladin wanted to destroy all that, and he did not succeed! we live, we love, and we thrive!!

I won't yell, I have one too!

I also have seen how so many people forget the importance of the day. Or maybe it isn't that they have forgotten but maybe they feel "embarrassed" to remember. Like someone will think less of them when they honor those that were so tragically taken from us on that horrific day.
3 years ago tomorrow at 10pm my sister was screaming at the hospital staff to give her drugs to hold it off until the 12th and they laughed at her (naturally they can't just stop it b/c of the anniversary of Sept 11th) and she had my first nephew. So now it is a bittersweet day for us as we celebrate his 3rd b-day while remember the fallen.

Thanks for the thread!!

Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the bump, Janet. I heard Alan Jackson's song "Where Were You" (I think that's the proper title) today while I was driving, and every time I hear it, it brings back that day clear as crystal.

Living here in Canada, I remember that day as if it were yesterday. I did not know anyone who was close to the terror that day, but I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing and what I was wearing. I even remember the feelings I had as things unfolded....I can't quite describe it, but I don't think I need to.

I, too, hope that the day will never be forgotten......

pampered.chris said:
I also have seen how so many people forget the importance of the day. Or maybe it isn't that they have forgotten but maybe they feel "embarrassed" to remember. Like someone will think less of them when they honor those that were so tragically taken from us on that horrific day.
3 years ago tomorrow at 10pm my sister was screaming at the hospital staff to give her drugs to hold it off until the 12th and they laughed at her (naturally they can't just stop it b/c of the anniversary of Sept 11th) and she had my first nephew. So now it is a bittersweet day for us as we celebrate his 3rd b-day while remember the fallen.

Thanks for the thread!!

You know Chris, while bittersweet, I think a child's birthday is a great thing to have on that day - kind of like saying, you can't take all of the joy away, we WILL still have things to celebrate, even on that terrible anniversary!!

Of course the sadness will always be there too, but hopefully this is a helpful way to think of it for your family. That your nephew brought you all joy DESPITE what happened, instead of feeling that the tragedy of 9/11 will steal joy away from you celebrating your nephews birthday each year. Does that make any sense? I'm having a hard time finding the words to express what I'm thinking...

Janet, DH and I also knew people that died that day or were injured at the Pentagon. We had just moved back to MN- and DH was traveling again out East for the Military (he was still in the Air Force at that time)
Well, long story short...everyone here at the federal building went into hiding- and I could not get ahold of DH- I sat at home, watching the news, reliving the Oklahoma Federal Building tragedy in my mind, and not knowing where DH was and if he was okay...and watching tragedy strike the lives of thousands...those are images that are burned in my mind.

I will never forget, nor have I...

susanr613 said:
i remember i was at work downtown a block from the sears tower. we evacuated when the second tower fell and thank G-d there was a train due to leave for my suburb 10 minutes later. what a scary ride home! then i picked up DS from daycare and watched CNN the rest of the day.

you all may "yell" at me...i am doing a show tomorrow night. the host and i discussed it, and we thought it was appropriate to celebrate our country, our culture, and our resilience in the face of evil. after all, bin ladin wanted to destroy all that, and he did not succeed! we live, we love, and we thrive!!

I did a show last year on the 11th- it was an awesome show, and we had a great discussion about the events of that day...

I don't think I will ever forget. I'm reminded twice a day when the clock hits 9:11 AM & PM, then of course...Sept 11...I remember when someone says anything with "eleven" in it.

I will NEVER forget the loved ones still here on earth suffering because their lives have changed forever. My heart goes out to each and everyone of the them. :(

<h2>1. What is the significance of the 6 year anniversary of 9-11?</h2><p>The 6 year anniversary of 9-11 marks the passing of six years since the tragic events of September 11th, 2001, when the United States was attacked by terrorists.</p><h2>2. What was the theme following 9-11?</h2><p>The theme following 9-11 was "We will never forget..." This phrase was used to honor the victims and remind people to always remember the events of that day.</p><h2>3. How many people have already forgotten about 9-11?</h2><p>It is difficult to determine an exact number, but unfortunately, there are likely many people who have already forgotten or have not taken the time to remember the events of 9-11.</p><h2>4. How can we honor and remember those affected by 9-11?</h2><p>We can honor and remember those affected by 9-11 by participating in remembrance ceremonies, visiting memorials, saying prayers, and supporting organizations that help those impacted by the attacks.</p><h2>5. How can we show our appreciation for those who serve and protect us?</h2><p>We can show our appreciation for those who serve and protect us by saying thank you, supporting organizations that help them, and actively participating in our communities to make a positive impact.</p>

1. What is the significance of the 6 year anniversary of 9-11?

The 6 year anniversary of 9-11 marks the passing of six years since the tragic events of September 11th, 2001, when the United States was attacked by terrorists.

2. What was the theme following 9-11?

The theme following 9-11 was "We will never forget..." This phrase was used to honor the victims and remind people to always remember the events of that day.

3. How many people have already forgotten about 9-11?

It is difficult to determine an exact number, but unfortunately, there are likely many people who have already forgotten or have not taken the time to remember the events of 9-11.

4. How can we honor and remember those affected by 9-11?

We can honor and remember those affected by 9-11 by participating in remembrance ceremonies, visiting memorials, saying prayers, and supporting organizations that help those impacted by the attacks.

5. How can we show our appreciation for those who serve and protect us?

We can show our appreciation for those who serve and protect us by saying thank you, supporting organizations that help them, and actively participating in our communities to make a positive impact.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
c00p
Replies
Views
PamperChefCarol