• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Far Will You Travel for a Show

In summary, some hosts set conditions for their shows, such as there needing to be a certain number of people in attendance, while others don't set any conditions. It's ultimately up to the host to coach really well and make sure that everyone has a great time.
babywings76
Gold Member
I know there was a thread on this a while ago, I just can't find it now. Can someone point me in the direction of it?

I have a host who lives an hour away. I'm confirming a date with her right now and I'm trying to decide if I should set a condition on it. Such as there needs to be x amount of people in attendance or something to that affect. I just don't know if I should do that or not. What if she has low attendance but great outside orders or big orders from those who come. Just don't want to shoot myself in the foot. I've heard from the host who this one booked off of, that she has a hard time getting people to her house (not sure if that was meant literally or that she has poor turnout for things) but that she has great success at shows. :confused:

Anyway, I know this was discussed by many people before, so I'd like to re-read everyone's advice. Unless you all would like to share again. ;) :)

Don't set any conditions with your host. Just Host coach really really well! You never know what that show will bring you. It might be low in sales, but you could get a booking that proves to be very profitable. Or you could get a new team member. Or it could be a $1000 show!

The majority of my shows are an hour away. In totalling up my mileage tracker from last year I drove an average of 100 miles round trip for most shows.

I have a friend that when she's host coaching and gets the YESES (not the guesses) and there aren't many, she tells them that she really needs 5 adults in attendance. She has time to check with her guests and if it's just not a great date, they can simply do a catalog show. BUT it's up to you. She has kids at home and feels that if she is leaving her home, then it should be worth it. She says VERY rarely does it ever turn to a catalog show b/c the host finds more people that'll attend.I don't really do that, but luckily haven't had too much of an issue.As for how far, I LOVE when they are under 15 minutes away, which has happened lately! But I've done shows over an hour away. I've done them 3 hours away too...for friends.

I ended up traveling an hour away for a show that was under $300. On top of that it was raining and I was on the interstate in the middle of rush hour (so it was really an hour and a half away in those conditions). I ended up running over a 2x4 in the middle of my lane as the lanes on either side were full of traffic and I couldn't get over. So I had to run over it. As I was approaching the hill I only had enough time to think 'what is that' and look to either side to see if I could get over and by that time it was too late! So when I got to her house I told her what happened and her dear husband offered to put air in it for me but to his surprise it had 4 NAILS in it! So then he offered to change it for me - I said ok but I live on a dirt road and it's pretty dirty under there (I have an Xterra). He said no problem. The poor man and his son spent almost the entire length of the show outside changing the tire - when they came in they were covered - head to toe - in dirt! I felt soooo bad. I made sure they got to eat the dessert first and that they knew how thankful I was.

So, I guess I can't complain about it being so far away after the work they did on my car, right?

See, I don't mind. I am excited about doing shows. My husband, on the other hand, thinks that if the show is a bust, then I wasted all that time and gas money and wear and tear on the car for nothing, or for just a little. Plus, factoring in paying postage for the host packet and sending the invites, he's not too thrilled with how little my commission could be with all that effort. He works till 8:30 most nights. This means that my mom is going to come and watch the kids. I was going to recommend changing the date to a Friday or Saturday, but when my mom heard about it she said that I should stick to the date the host wants and she'll come watch the kids. I told her that I don't want to impose, I don't want to pay for a sitter (more $ to spend) and I would feel like I need to compensate my mom in some way. She said that she would love to spend the extra time with the kids and that if this situation is just an occasional thing, she doesn't mind. Sooooo. I'm torn on the date, I'm torn on what will make it worthwhile. KWIM?I think I'm taking my mom up on her offer. If it ends up being a bust, well then at least I didn't ruin our weekend over it. ;) (DH should be happy about that!) So now, I'm just trying to figure out how to host coach to guarantee good attendance. Extra incentives? (I hate doing that, I think that PC gives great rewards as is... OTOH sometimes an extra lights a fire under a host) Or just reminding her that the more people that are there, the less pressure people feel to spend $? Any thoughts?

I have gone as far as 4 hours away for a bridal shower but last night I went 3o mins away i was hoping to have more shows this month in my town but they are mostly out of town ranging from 30 to 1 hour away. My show last night is sitting at 817.00 and she had 16 people come and she is hoping and working hard for a 1000 show ... I find the shows farther away from house they are higher shows.

Take a peek at the breakdown I do on my cover letter I put in my Host packet. This seems to really show people that this is a numbers game - more people means more free stuff. But be sure to go over it with her, so many people don't read all the info. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Intro letter.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 319
I think if it works for you, go. Have a good attitude regardless. You never know what will happen. Let your mom help. I know how you feel. My parents help with my DD too, but they LOVE to. They do it when I don't need it too! But I just make sure that my mom and I spend time together or something b/c that's worth something too.As for incentives...that's up to you, but they don't have to be amazing, I don't think. Just share what you are working for and that you are excited about her show and I think you are right...I always mention that more people is more fun for their guests. I'm not a high pressure consultant and I'm tending to have 10-25 guests at shows lately. I'm just less worried about stuff now. It must come across.In this area, it seems that people have been having less shows so people are excited to come to a show.

JUST DO IT! My best show took place 5 hours away! Just really focus on host coaching her. You may think about offering an extra incentive...take something from her wishlist and tell her she will get it for free if she has 15 people at her house.

1. How far are you willing to travel for a show?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am willing to travel up to 50 miles for a show. However, this can vary depending on my schedule and availability. If you are interested in hosting a show outside of this range, please contact me to discuss further options.

2. Do you charge for travel expenses?

I do not charge for travel expenses within my designated 50-mile radius. However, if your show is located outside of this range, I may ask for a small fee to cover gas and other expenses. This fee will be discussed and agreed upon before the show is booked.

3. Will you travel to a different state for a show?

I am only able to travel to shows within my own state. If you are interested in hosting a show in a different state, I can connect you with a Pampered Chef consultant in that area who can assist you.

4. How do you handle travel arrangements and accommodations?

I will handle my own travel arrangements and accommodations for shows outside of my local area. These expenses will be included in the agreed upon fee for the show. If travel expenses are not required, I will discuss this with the host and make appropriate arrangements.

5. Can you provide a list of cities or zip codes that you are willing to travel to?

Due to the ever-changing nature of my schedule, I am unable to provide a list of specific cities or zip codes that I am willing to travel to. However, I am willing to discuss travel options with any potential hosts and come to a mutually agreed upon location for the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • teresah551393
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BlessedWifeMommy
  • MaryannNic