• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Far Are You Willing to Go for a Show?

but I would need to hire a babysitter.I have done a show about 2 hours away from home before and it was a lot of work but it was worth it.I usually go 1-1.5 hours away, but I have done a show 3 hours away before.I have done a show that was 2 hours and 20 minutes away from my house.I have a show on August 25th in Houston, and it will take me approximately 3.5 hours to get to the host's house from mine. I am leaving on the morning of the 24th, and hoping a friend of mine will host a show that evening so I can do two while in town.I usually go 1-1.5 hours away, but
Kathytnt
I have driven up to an hour and a 1/2 to do a show. I have a lead on a fundraiser that is 2 horus and 20 minutes from my house. Part of me really wants to do it because I want to help but my hubby is really not cool with this distance.

Part of the problem is that on my cancer fundraisers I give away my commisions so I would not be making any money and for darn sure don't want to show up to an empty house after driving that far. Although you enver know - Doing distance shows is a great way to get recruits in that area.

Just curious about your answers. I know some of you do shows when you are traveling it family and friends but I am talking about from your home.

I think over 2 hours is a bit far. I would try to find out what the attendance looks like before you commit to anything. If you're sure it's a good turnout, maybe I would go because it's for a good cause, but if you're going there not knowing what to expect... I don't know.

Could your DH go with you? When I've had far shows in the past, we've hired a babysitter and made a date out of it.

Just a thought...Also, for that distance, I would make it a daytime show on the weekend.

Okay, I have to ask... what is a stripper star???

Dawn4 said:
Okay, I have to ask... what is a stripper star???

You earn stars by the number of posts you have made. The first level is a "stripped" star (no color)...thus the term "stripper star". Many, many jokes and inuendos have been posted about this term. It took me a long to earn the stripper star, so I'm proud to have it. (800 posts is the first level).

Thanks for the info!!!

I have a show on August 25th in Houston, and it will take me approximately 3.5 hours to get to the host's house from mine. I am leaving on the morning of the 24th, and hoping a friend of mine will host a show that evening so I can do two while in town. I'll leave after my show on Saturday to come home and get ready for another show on the 26th.

I have a fairly regular customer base in a city about 2 hours south of me and am glad I made the initial decision to travel that far (of course, my SIL and her DH live there, so I get to visit when I do shows, too).
If DH is concerned about you not making any money, instead of giving up your entire commission, donate a portion of it... keep enough to pay for gas, any expenses, etc. Then pull out your best host coaching info and host coach your host to a GREAT show.

I agree with Katie, host coach like you have never host coached before! When I do long distance shows I let the host know that I will be coming from pretty far away so she really needs to make certain that there is a very good turn out. I think most of these hosts get it and really do a good job. I am also with you about the recuiting thing... I had to drive all the way here from XXX we really need a consultant in this area!

My director just went from NJ to Chicago for a show, and got all of this from it, another booking in Boston, a recruit lead in NY, a fundrasier, $1000 show, a wedding registry, and I am sure I am leaving something out. She had a flight that was canceled, and drove 13 hours with her kids. Needless to say despite the long drive, it was worth it for her.

I mostly go an hour to a show. My hubby works in NYC so thats where I get a lot of business.

The most I generally go is 1hr for shows. Although, every summer when I go to NJ to visit my family, I do a show or a fundraiser up there so I can write off my travel expenses.

I mostly go 1 hour although since I live in an area that has lots of small towns that don't have an active PC consultant I will make exceptions to a max of 2 hour each way.... but only with good host coaching.

And, when I do those smaller towns, I really try to find a recruit lead so I can give any new shows away and build my team at the same time!

The farthest I have gone is 1 hour but probably wouldn't go past 1.5 hours away.

The furthest I will go is 2.5 hours - mainly because I had someone in Nevada beg me to do a show there and I got bookings to go back. I also do shows to, there and from visiting my family in Colorado - 13 hours each way.

Funny this topic was posted, I was thinking the same thing. Last night I got a booking for a show 3 hrs away in Vermont. I was wondering if I was out of my mind for saying yes. However, with good host coaching (I'm horrible at host coaching) and maybe a recruit up there it just might be worth it after all.

I do occasional shows when I'm visiting my family and friends in MA. Not usually formal shows though, I simply share catalogs and order forms and hope to get enough to be a show while I'm up there. I've offered to do shows but its hard to schedule my busy friends and family with the few days I'm up there several times a year.

Generally speaking, I figure that if it's within a two-hour drive of my home, it's worth my time. Doesn't always work out, but usually it's worth it.

My husband's Aunt lives in Lindley, NY about 3 hours away from me.. I did a cooking show for her and got two bookings from it. From those two bookings (one was a cooking show) I got three more bookings(all catalog shows)! I only agreed to do cooking shows because I also have a favorite cousin up that way and I made it more like a long vacation-weekend.I also tried to get my cousin to do a show while I was up there.. she isn't very motivated so that didn't work.. oh well... I still have one catalog show waiting to be started but the poor lady got pneumonia. So, I sent her a get well card and figured I would call her at a later date.

Last edited:
Don't forget....Regardless of how far you travel for a show, you can write it all off as a business expense. A great way to visit family out of town/state.....Get them to do a show for you!

I have gone almost 3 hours for shows. My in laws live that far from us so we just make a weekend of it and stay at their house. My MIL had a show that was almost $1300 and I got several bookings from it. Those shows have all been over $1000, so it is well worth it for us.

Personally, unless is it a good friend or family member I try not to go over 30 minutes for a show. I do not want to take that additional time away from my family after I get of my full time job to travel that far for a show. Now if I could do it and make a weekend or something of it with my husband and son, that would be different; and get to write the trip off, ha! I wonder if anyone at the beach (3 hours away), would like to host one, HAHA!!!!!

In my area, there are places that are only 10 miles away that take 30 minutes to get to. I regularly do shows that take 45 minutes to an hour travel time each way. (Heck- my director is almost an hour from me, and she's only 22 miles away!) Because I work FT, I do tell certain groups of customers that their shows must be on Saturdays, otherwise I'd never get there in time.

I have the same issue here is CA Ann. We don't talk about how far things are apart in miles but in time!

That depends where you live. If you live in a city with lots of people you might not need to go far I am rural with big and large cities and towns within an hour that is my max I have heard of real rural consultants that drive 2 hours just to get to the town so that is different.

That said don't expect this host to care that you are driving so far let her know and that you can't do it unless she has 20 confirmed at her show if she isn't willing to work at it it is probably not worth going. There may be 15 PC consultants in her town so recruiting might not be so great just because you aren't from there and don't know anyone there.

Just so you think it through.

I went out of my way a host said she invited 40 plus and tons of e-mail invites and called everyone and her family was about 30 min from me. That day she e-mails that only 10 could make it and would get outside orders. I drove 1.5 hours one way no one there about 15 min later 1 guest came after she called her and asked her to come then she had a few outside orders party sales $145 she added to get a show out of it and then bought the $285 cookware plus with her 15% discount . So it was a $450 show but so not worth it no bookings no leads no e-mails for future reference nothing, so not worth it.

One of the great things about PC is that YOU get to choose what YOU are comfortable with. Sit down and really think it through. Talk it over with your spouse/significant other/whatever. If your kids are old enough (and it's the type of thing you'd have a family meeting about), bring them in on the discussion. Make your plan, including any exceptions you're willing to make (i.e. it's a family member), then stick with it.

I've driven 8 hours to my family in Florida and done shows while I'm there. I'm going back in Sept for a busy/quick weekend and doing 2 bridal showers and I'm signing someone there in a few weeks so she can take-over the bookings I got while there the last time and that I'm going to get on these upcoming shows.

So, my question is, if you are doing a show an hour (or whatever the magic number is) from home and someone wants to book that lives farther from you than the host, do you turn them down?

I know my kitchen shows are always larger than catalog shows. I'd be reluctant to switch to a catalog if they want a demo.

--Jenny L

jlevernier said:
So, my question is, if you are doing a show an hour (or whatever the magic number is) from home and someone wants to book that lives farther from you than the host, do you turn them down?

I know my kitchen shows are always larger than catalog shows. I'd be reluctant to switch to a catalog if they want a demo.

--Jenny L

One thing you could do is suggest a mega show. Ask the person that wants to book if she can think of 2 or 3 other friends that have a circle of non-mutal friends that might like to all do a single show together. On the order forms the guests put their hosts names (or use OOF in different colors), you enter it as a seperate show for each host, and hopefully the combined sales make the longer drive worthwhile.

tlennhoff said:
One thing you could do is suggest a mega show. Ask the person that wants to book if she can think of 2 or 3 other friends that have a circle of non-mutal friends that might like to all do a single show together. On the order forms the guests put their hosts names (or use OOF in different colors), you enter it as a seperate show for each host, and hopefully the combined sales make the longer drive worthwhile.

WOW Tasha. That is a great idea. How come I've never heard of that being done before?? Am I just that completely in the dark???

hoosierchef said:
WOW Tasha. That is a great idea. How come I've never heard of that being done before?? Am I just that completely in the dark???

Mega shows are discussed occasionally on this forum, that is where I heard of it. Try a search and you should find lots of ideas for this.

Ohh, I'm thinking a mega show & a team competition. 1 recipe for each host, set up stations for each recipes, have the hosts pick the recipe they will do out of a SA, and the winning team gets $2 off shipping.

You can also offer incentives to the hosts at a mega show, and give a prize to the one with the most guests there, most outside orders, etc., to really make it worth your while.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could work all our shows this way? Have one show a week with three different hosts. How effecient would that be? Ha!

--Jenny L

I have traveled 4 hours from home for shows. 1st time booked 3 shows, 2 of those shows I booked on the same saturday, booked 2 more shows, the 3rd show booked from the 1st show I recruited 2 and gave the bookings to them from the 2nd set of shows. My trips were paid for easily. And I am still getting paid. So I would never turn down a show.

1. How far are you willing to go for a show?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am willing to travel up to an hour and a half for a show. This allows me to reach a wider audience and potentially gain new customers and recruits.

2. Have you ever traveled further than an hour and a half for a show?

Yes, I have driven up to two hours and twenty minutes for a show. While this may seem like a long distance, it can be worth it for special events or fundraisers that I am passionate about.

3. How do you decide whether or not to take a show that is far from your home?

I consider a few factors before deciding to take a show that is far from my home. I weigh the potential for new customers and recruits, the type of event or fundraiser, and my availability in my schedule. I also discuss it with my family to make sure it is feasible.

4. Do you ever do shows when traveling with family or friends?

Yes, I have done shows while traveling with family or friends. It can be a great way to combine business and pleasure, and I am always open to opportunities to share my passion for Pampered Chef with new audiences.

5. What about shows that are for a cause you are passionate about but are far from your home?

I understand the desire to help with a cause that you are passionate about, but it's important to also consider the practical aspects. If the show is too far from my home, it may not be worth the time and expense for me to attend. However, if it is feasible and aligns with my values and goals, I am open to traveling further for a show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • teresah551393
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BlessedWifeMommy
  • Intrepid_Chef