• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Properly Clean High Quality Knives?

In summary, you should use antibacterial soap and a sponge to sanitize your knives when you're cutting raw meat. You should dry the knives immediately after cleaning them to prevent rust or discoloration.
2crazyboys
I just ordered some of the forged cutlery. All of my other knives have been able to go through the dishwasher. How do you sanitize your knives when you've cut raw meat?

I use dishwashing soap that is antibacterial.

Plain old dish soap and hot water are plenty to sanitize your knife.

Hot water and a little dish soap. Works just fine.

Do you use paper towels or a scrub brush or something. I don't use sponges so I don't even own any.

DebbieJ said:
Hot water and a little dish soap. Works just fine.

ditto here...

2crazyboys said:
Do you use paper towels or a scrub brush or something. I don't use sponges so I don't even own any.

I have a scrubbie thingy at my sink with soap in the handle, so I use that. Or a little soap on a wet dishcloth.

I have a special knife rack in my dishwasher, the water isn't direct so there's not "blunt" trauma to the knifes. Usually, I hand wash them, dry them and put them right away. But I have a husband who thinks they go in the dishwasher every time (luckily I can catch most of the time, and when I don't he puts them in the rack).

Antibacterial Soap and Sponge.Did you know that if you take your sponge, a little damp, put it in your microwave for about 60 seconds, it will be HOT, that helps to sanitize it from all the germs? You should do this prior to using it.....I LOVE sponges, HATE germs......so this tip made me happy...

The knives should be dryed IMMEDIATLEY otherwise they will start to show almost a RUST spotting.....I ALWAYS clean them ASAP and dry them.....I NEVER leave them hanging not even 5 min.......they are wonderful, but that aspect is a bummer....LOL.....

You should NEVER put high quality steel in the dishwasher because it has a high carbon content and will rust or discolor. You want carbon in your blades because that makes it more flexible and harder, but it really has to be hand washed and dried immediately. Tell your hubby to let you wash them if he won't do it, LOL!

1. How often should I clean my knives?

It is recommended to clean your knives after each use to prevent bacteria growth and maintain their sharpness.

2. Can I put my knives in the dishwasher?

It is not recommended to put your knives in the dishwasher as the harsh detergents and high heat can damage the blade and handle. Hand washing with warm water and mild soap is the best option.

3. What is the best way to remove stains from my knives?

To remove tough stains, create a paste with baking soda and water and gently scrub the affected area. Rinse with warm water and dry immediately.

4. How should I store my knives?

To prevent damage and maintain sharpness, it is best to store your knives in a knife block, on a magnetic strip, or in a knife sheath. Avoid storing them loose in a drawer.

5. How do I safely clean the blade of my knife?

To avoid injury, always clean the blade of your knife by wiping it with a damp cloth, rather than running it under water. If necessary, use a soft-bristled brush to remove any stubborn debris.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithdawn
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Barry Carlton
  • wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • bridgetbakes