• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I successfully restart my PC business after a break?

In summary, the author's husband and she both have reservations about her re-starting her PC business. She has some solutions of her own, but she wants to hear what others have to say first.
pchefinski
Hi everyone. I'm sorry I was gone for so long! A ton of stuff happened (a lot of turmoil and hardship on my family's side) and I temporarily stopped selling PC. It took over my life and I was having no success to show for it. I was stressing over it WAY too much -- it was meant to be a part-time job that I used as an outlet for myself. But I took it to an extreme and made myself depressed over it. I set it aside purposely, to try to find a better outlook on the whole thing, and to make a fresh approach if I felt it still suited our family and the time was right. Well, the time is right. We're in need of extra money, and I'm in a catch-22. I need a car and a babysitter to get a job, but I need a job to get the money for a car and a babysitter. With my 20 month old being so active now, I need time for myself, and I've started to miss "adult interaction" and am needing ME time.. plus, I left the culinary field to go to seminary, where I met my husband, and I miss that. PC gives me my culinary fix. Anyway, I won't bore you. I'm just trying to say that it seems the right time to start over with it all. I've talked to my husband, and he and I both came up with some reservations we have with me re-starting my business. But as contemplate whether to start over, I want to see the guidance of those on this board -- those who are objective, and positive. Who have experienced the ups and downs of their business. Advice, wisdom and "2-cents" from those whose spouses agree with their business and those whose don't -- and everyone in between. I have some solutions of my own, but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say first (I hope that's ok).

Reservation: DH said I spent too much money pouring back into the business with no success to show for it. Money spent in business was for catalogs, order forms (copies), and postage of catalogs/host packets.
Solution(s):

Reservation: My life was consumed by my PC business. I made calls and contacts, but I was (and I’ll admit it) addicted to flyers, and brainstorming ideas to make my business a success. I was often lost when I tried to work on my business, as I exhausted my (not so full) List of 100 and was not having luck finding more contacts. I was searching for ways to find contacts but not finding them. I did not have a set-aside time to work on my business affairs, and would deal with things here and there throughout the day.
Solution(s):

Reservation: I had such a hard time stepping out of my comfort zone to gain new contacts, hosts, and customers (and possible recruits!).
Solution(s):

Reservation: I did not feel comfortable working with my recruiter/director, as I felt they were trying to make me run my business according to how they ran theirs. I often felt that I was subconsciously feeling like a failure no matter how successful I was, as I wasn’t measuring up to their “standards” of success they had put on me. I wanted to be under the directorship of my mom’s consultant, who originally introduced me to PC and has given me guidance and assistance in many areas when needed.
Solution(s):

Reservation: Without outside influence (cluster meetings, etc), it was hard to have accountability. Self-accountability is hard discipline to follow, and lead to a lot of failure.
Solution(s):

Reservation: I was unsure of how to approach people with PC without pushing it on them. I lost 3 possible recruits and multiple shows because I approached people wrong and “threw up” (for lack of a better term) options & information all over them. Ie: “You could have a theme show, or a grill show, or a girls night out or an Italian show, etc..” I was afraid to offer just one type of show each month (ie: chocolate, italian, etc) although I thought it might make things easier and more simple for me, afraid that it would turn away those that weren’t interested in that kind of show. So I offered EVERYTHING, hoping to get someone interested in SOMETHING.
Solution(s):

Reservation: Although I gained a lot of contacts and some possible recruits from a local (and very very small) mall expo last October, it is extremely difficult for me to work local fairs and expos, as I do not have reliable, affordable childcare for my 20 month old son. My husband’s work hours are so flexible and scheduled just hours before the work weeks begin, that I cannot commit to a fair and pay the entry fee, only to lose the money if my childcare falls through.
Solution(s):

Thank you to everyone who's supported me so much through everything! I want to come back SO bad but know that I need to change some things and implement some self-discipline to do it. I love you all!

Reservation: DH said I spent too much money pouring back into the business with no success to show for it. Money spent in business was for catalogs, order forms (copies), and postage of catalogs/host packets.
Solution(s): Maybe ask for catalogs back after the show if the guests don't want them, use the HO order forms, or make copies of the blank OOF in the Recipe for Success and write in the monthly special so you don't have wasted copies one month, and drop off packets or meet the host in town.

Reservation: My life was consumed by my PC business. I made calls and contacts, but I was (and I’ll admit it) addicted to flyers, and brainstorming ideas to make my business a success. I was often lost when I tried to work on my business, as I exhausted my (not so full) List of 100 and was not having luck finding more contacts. I was searching for ways to find contacts but not finding them. I did not have a set-aside time to work on my business affairs, and would deal with things here and there throughout the day.
Solution(s): Limit yourself to 15-30 mins of ChefSuccess every day (I am NOT the one to give this advice, LOL) Go back to basics and make CCC's. Ask your past host and guests for referrals, and be honest. Tell them that you are having a hard time getting started again, and need some new blood in your business. Most people will bend over backwards to help.

Reservation: I had such a hard time stepping out of my comfort zone to gain new contacts, hosts, and customers (and possible recruits!).
Solution(s): I have this problem too. My DH said I could have a minivan if I could make the payment. I have my minivan, now I need to do the work. Think of your son when you call people or talk to strangers. Every new person you meet could possibly help finance a family vacation, or college for your son. Pump yourself up before talking to someone by thinking of what that commission could do for your son's life.

Reservation: I did not feel comfortable working with my recruiter/director, as I felt they were trying to make me run my business according to how they ran theirs. I often felt that I was subconsciously feeling like a failure no matter how successful I was, as I wasn’t measuring up to their “standards” of success they had put on me. I wanted to be under the directorship of my mom’s consultant, who originally introduced me to PC and has given me guidance and assistance in many areas when needed.
Solution(s): No one said that you can only go to your director for help. My director is very knowledgable, and it is my new goal to get some knowledge from her. This is YOUR business, and no matter what anyone else says IF YOU FEEL SUCCESSFUL YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL!!

Reservation: Without outside influence (cluster meetings, etc), it was hard to have accountability. Self-accountability is hard discipline to follow, and lead to a lot of failure.
Solution(s): Tell your DH your goals, and he can help cheer you on. I know that I hate to tell my DH that I don't have that van payment!!

Reservation: I was unsure of how to approach people with PC without pushing it on them. I lost 3 possible recruits and multiple shows because I approached people wrong and “threw up” (for lack of a better term) options & information all over them. Ie: “You could have a theme show, or a grill show, or a girls night out or an Italian show, etc..” I was afraid to offer just one type of show each month (ie: chocolate, italian, etc) although I thought it might make things easier and more simple for me, afraid that it would turn away those that weren’t interested in that kind of show. So I offered EVERYTHING, hoping to get someone interested in SOMETHING.
Solution(s): Instead of talking on and on, show them your theme binder (or make one). That way they can see what you have to offer, but you are not neccessarily "throwing up" this info all over them.

Reservation: Although I gained a lot of contacts and some possible recruits from a local (and very very small) mall expo last October, it is extremely difficult for me to work local fairs and expos, as I do not have reliable, affordable childcare for my 20 month old son. My husband’s work hours are so flexible and scheduled just hours before the work weeks begin, that I cannot commit to a fair and pay the entry fee, only to lose the money if my childcare falls through.
Solution(s): I have two kids, 2.5 and 14 months, and this is a real issue for me. I know that it is a profitable part of our business, but I can't do this right now. If you really think it would be worth it find a daycare center that could take him just for a few hours that day. It will be expensive, but you might get bookings & recruits out of it at the fair!! Plus you could drop off catalogs when you pick him up at the daycare center too!

I know it is hard to get motivated, but the new product months are the best time to jump start because NO ONE has seen the new products! Good luck, and remember why you started doing PC!

Solution(s): I make guest folders to hand out at the parties. In the folders there is a catlog and a few photocopies. The real brainstrom is a piece of lined paper so the guest can write down what they are interested in. I have noticed they dont turn over the sales recipet to see the wish list. And I do ask for my catalogs back at the end to keep cost down. The guest usually understand.
Solution(s): Set aside a time everyday or a few days to only do PC. Close the door so there will no distractions. Or get in your car and drive down the steet to make calls and to work.
Solution(s): Perfect thing is to wear t-shirts and hats that say PC.
Solution(s): Never compare yourself to another person. They dont know the you that is inside yourself. They may be pushy but you should tell them thanks for the support but you need breathing room. After all this is your business not theirs. You are a success all ready.
Solution(s): Be accountable to your hubby. My hubby is the biggest nag around. He takes pleasure also in bragging in how well I am doing.
Solution(s): I have a theme binder. I pass it around at parties that way I am not pushy but everyone has an idea what could be done. If they are interested enough to hve a party then they will be interested enough to listen to you and recipe choices.
Solution(s): For daycare, this one is hard for me to answer, because my duaghter is 9 years old and has a learning disabilty and adhd. In fact tonight is my cluster meeting and my babysitter was to sick to watch her. Personnally I feel that for a fair or an expo if you could go in w/ a few consultants then evryone could take a block of time for a few hours. Then you wont be gone all day and a sitter could be found.

I hope this helps!

Solution(s): There is nothing wrong with asking for your catalogs back at the end of a show. I would just tell them if they would like to take the catalog home for future reference, that's great. If they are just going to throw it away, to please return it so you can pass it along to someone else. I would not say that you are trying to save money and really need them. It might make you sound desperate and you don't want that (even if you are!! :) )

Solution(s): Two things....(1) make sure you spend your time on "people work" not paper work and (2) don't try to re-invent the wheel (ie: spending your time making/printing flyers or trying to come up with new ideas). I love flyers too but a piece of paper doesn't usually get the booking....your personal contact does!

Reservation: I did not feel comfortable working with my recruiter/director, as I felt they were trying to make me run my business according to how they ran theirs. I wanted to be under the directorship of my mom’s consultant, who originally introduced me to PC and has given me guidance and assistance in many areas when needed.
Solution(s): If you are uncomfortable with your director, I would first explain to her how you have felt in the past. She might not be aware of what she is doing and it would help her if you were honest. Everyone learns differently and prefer different types of training. Tell her what you need. If she still doesn't listen, find another consultant that you admire and feel you have similiar qualities...nothing says you can't find a mentor to work with. As a side note....why didn't you sign with your mom's consultant if she introduced you to PC? Just curious....

Solution(s): Being self employed requires skills that most people have never learned. Our job experience usually is from being in a job where we are told what to do and when. You need to plan your work, then work your plan. Set a timer and make sure you tackle the jobs on your list for the day. Make it a game to see how many things you can knock off your list each day.

Solution(s): See if you can find another mom or a friend that you can exchange baby sitting with. Or offer them PC products in exchange for babysitting. :)

As a side note....why didn't you sign with your mom's consultant if she introduced you to PC? Just curious....
I had moved to PA when I got married and I didn't know that you could sign with someone in another state (she's in NY). So I signed (my fault for not checking first) and then found out after it got to be not such a pleasant experience. I was told I could use the NY consultant/director to be my hospitality, and that to change to her, I'd have to ride out a year inactive and re-sign under her. but the reason was my lack of knowledge that I could sign with her.

Solution(s): I actually cut the pages out of 15 catalogues and put them in page protectors and then in a clear plastic duotang. Then I put a sticker on the front of the duotang that says "FOR SHOW USE ONLY, I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE YOU A CATALOGUE OF YOUR OWN TO TAKE HOME. PLEASE ASK ME AFTER THE SHOW". You wouldn't believe the difference in the amount of money I spend on catalogues after I started doing that every season! A lot of people take catalogues home just because they are there... then throw them in the garbage when they get home. If they REALLY want one to take home, they'll ask for it!

Solution(s): nothing wrong with getting consumed in brain storming once in a while. But you should set yourself some "Office hours". Talk to your family and let them know when your office hours are. Then ask them to leave you uninterupted for that time. My office hours are Sunday evening from 6:30 to 8:30, Tuesday from 6:30 to 8:30. These are the times that I make CCC's and coach hosts and whaatever else i need to do in my office (Phone, paperwork ect.) Of course if I find myself alone and with nothing else important to do at other times, I will take advantage of a little extra Office time, but I try to stick to that because I do 2 shows a week and I have to make sure that ALL of my time is not taken by the biz.

Solution(s):
I agree with wearing logo wear and stuff like that. People will ask you about it and you will strike up conversations that way, after enough people asking you about it, I bet you won't find it so hard to bring it up yourself anymore!

Solution(s): As mentioned above, your director needs to know how she is making you feel. She may not even realise it.

Solution(s): I agree... I ABSOLUTELY need my meetings to keep me going! It's agood thing that we have this site to! It's almost like a big "Web Meeting"!

Solution(s): I agree with the theme show and recruiting binder ideas

Solution(s): Book far enough in advance that you can make sure you have a plan... and a back up! but maybe just keep those fairs to once or twice a year.

wonderfulI'll admit that I've had many many many of the same reservations and this is one of the greatest threads I've seen in a long time.

Thank you very much Pchefinski for having the courage to put yourself out there to ask for counsel. It does a so much to help those or us that aren't so bold. ;)

God bless.

Thank you so much to everyone who has already posted. If anyone else has any other words of encouragement, I'll gladly take them :D I really appreciate everyone's time in helping me to restart my business. On behalf of my family, (even if they don't realize they feel that way! lol) thank you very much. God bless you for speaking the truth in LOVE.

You should be very proud of yourself for putting everything out in the open and getting answers to questions that everyone has. I am very hopeful that you have found what you are looking for, and will continue to be involved in this wonderful business opportunity!

Amanda, you are sooooo not alone in your concerns - I bet we've all had those same concerns at one time or another - I would also like to thank you starting this post - there has been some great advice already.

One thing I learned from the Belinda Ellsworth class at conference is to step out of your comfort zone by complimenting someone on their jewelry or clothing. Try to engage them in just a regular conversation before "pouncing" on them about PChef - it sounds like a good and reasonable approach to me although I really haven't had an opportunity to take it for a test spin!!!

Those of you that mentioned the theme show and recruiting binders - what do you put in your binders?

Who needs a recruiter/director that well, makes you feel badAmanda,
With all the help you can get out here, you really do not need your D/R. What you need is space. That space to find what you really want out of PC. I lucked out and don't have a "you must do it this way, or you have to turn in 24 shows this week" type of D/R. Besides that, like it is always said out here, IT IS YOUR BUSINESS. If you are truely happy doing it your way, then that's the way to do it. If you want accountablitlty, tell us what your planning to do and we will help you get there. Sit down at the table or your desk with a pen and paper. DO NOT CREATE A FLYER! Write down your goal for the next month. Then post it out here somewhere. Then be accountable for it to us. And you know if you tell us, you have to do it or we will beat with very wet stringy noodles!

Oh, one more thing, you need a group hug! SO....
BIG HUG!

We will be here for you however we can be!

pampered1224 said:
Amanda,
If you want accountablitlty, tell us what your planning to do and we will help you get there. Sit down at the table or your desk with a pen and paper. DO NOT CREATE A FLYER! Write down your goal for the next month. Then post it out here somewhere. Then be accountable for it to us.

Maybe we need to have a place on here where we can post our goals for the month. It is a proven fact that people that write down AND share their goals with others are way more successful that those that don't.

My favorite quote for my business is "Work for it, Don't wish for it". It's easy to say "I'd like to do 8 shows in August" (more of a wish) than to say "I am going to do 8 shows in August and I will make 5 customer care calls a day until my calendar is booked." (work for it!)

Hmmm....guess what my goal is for August? Yep...8 cooking shows. I've booked 3 since coming back from conference on Sunday!

Maybe we need to have a place on here where we can post our goals for the month.

Lisa, that is an awesome idea - maybe we could have a goals forum or something like that???? :confused:

I think that is a FABULOUS idea! ok... whos starting it!!:D

Don't we need to e-mail DebPC or AdminGreg and ask them to create this?

GoalsThat is a great idea!! My DH has some of these concerns too as I am just starting and this is a side gig from my day job...he's worried I'll spend all I'll earn LOL.

And you guys are right about sharing/writing down. I wanted to have 2-3 shows a month for my first three months. I have FOUR booked already for Aug, 1 for Sept and possible others and even a catalog show in the works for Oct!

1. What is the purpose of "Reservations & Solutions"?

"Reservations & Solutions" is a service offered by Pampered Chef that allows customers to reserve desired products before they become available for purchase. This helps ensure that our customers have access to their preferred products before they sell out.

2. How do I make a reservation?

To make a reservation, simply visit our website and click on the "Reservations & Solutions" tab. From there, you can select the product you wish to reserve and follow the prompts to complete your reservation.

3. Is there a limit to how many products I can reserve?

Yes, there is a limit of three products per customer for each reservation period. This allows us to ensure that all of our customers have a fair chance to reserve their desired products.

4. How long do reservations last?

Reservations last for a limited time period, usually around two weeks. After the reservation period ends, customers can then purchase the reserved products while supplies last.

5. Can I cancel or change my reservation?

Yes, you can cancel or make changes to your reservation by contacting our customer service team. Please note that cancellations or changes may not be possible after the reservation period ends.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered2007
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
katylunsford
  • Cr8vKitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
jodyskitchen1
  • poohritz