• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I save on groceries and make meals that stretch for my growing family?

In summary, Trish's daughters don't like onions or tomatoes, so she purees them or adds them in small doses if she cooks with them. Her sons like Mac and Cheese and Chicken Pot Pie. Trish sells skillets that make it easy to make a one-pan meal that her family loves.
Trish1953
Silver Member
Since my daughter, 28, and granddaughter, 9, and grandsons 10 and 6 months just moved in with my husband and me, I am wondering how to save on groceries, oir make meals that stretch the food. Any suggestions? DGD does not like onions or tomatoes. She can tolerate garlic if it's concealed enough.

Trish in Texas

I have 4 kids, plus my husband and me. We do lots of casseroles, that really stretches the meats. My girls don't like onions either - they call it "the ribbons". If I puree them I still get the flavor but they don't get the ribbons. They're the same way with tomatoes, but somehow they love spag sauce. Go figure! I can't wait to see what other suggestions come through. :)

My boys' favorite is Mac 'n peas as we call it. I usually use 3 or 4 regular sized boxes of cheapie macaroni and cheese, 3 or 4 cans of tuna (one thing I don't skimp on I like chicken of the sea) and one can of peas. They can eat almost the whole thing by themselves, the 4 of them (10, 8, 7, 3). My little brother, (I can still call him that because he is still younger than me even though he is grown and is way taller now, lol) loves this too, I like it myself, but not as much as they do, they gobble it up.

Oh, I forgot, there is a magazine I LOVE it used to be called quick cooking, now I think it's simple and delicious, by taste of home, it has a section called fast and frugile, at least the last time I read it that's what it was, lol, I forgot to renew, ughh, not that I have had time to read any of them, lol, I have a stack of mags I need to take to work and use some of my break time.

One of my faves (I share this at shows, too) is One Pan Chicken "Pot" Pie.

Preheat oven to 350*.
Take a rotisserie chicken (or leftover chicken) and shred it up in to bite size pieces, place in 12" skillet. Mix in a can (or two to stretch more) of mixed veggies. Add cubed (cooked) potatoes if desired.
In a bowl, mix 1 cup milk with a packet of Lipton Garlic & Herb soup mix. Pour over mixture in Skillet. Let simmer for a few minutes until sauce is nicely coated on the chicken and thickened a tad.
Then, place 1 or 2 cans worth of biscuits (raw) around the top of the mixture in the pan. Place in oven for 30 mins or until biscuits are done inside.

Best Chicken "pot" Pie ever, and only one skillet to clean. PS I sell lots of 12" Skillets from this recipe. ;)

My favorite quick, easy and not so nutritious meal is to take 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper and only 1 pound meat. Add frozen veggies and I have tons of servings!

Related to How can I save on groceries and make meals that stretch for my growing family?

1. What types of recipes are included in "Recipes for a Growing Family"?

Our "Recipes for a Growing Family" cookbook features a variety of recipes that are perfect for families with children of all ages. You'll find everything from easy breakfast options to quick and healthy dinner ideas.

2. Are the recipes in this cookbook kid-friendly?

Yes, all of the recipes in "Recipes for a Growing Family" have been tested and approved by both kids and adults. We understand the importance of finding meals that the whole family will enjoy, so we've made sure to include dishes that are both nutritious and delicious for children.

3. Are there any allergy-friendly recipes in this cookbook?

Absolutely! We know that many families have members with dietary restrictions, so we made sure to include a variety of allergy-friendly recipes in "Recipes for a Growing Family". You'll find options for gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free meals.

4. Can I find recipes for picky eaters in this cookbook?

Yes, we have plenty of options for picky eaters in "Recipes for a Growing Family". Our cookbook includes recipes that are kid-approved, even for the pickiest of eaters. We also have tips and tricks for getting your children to try new foods.

5. Are there any vegetarian or vegan recipes in this cookbook?

Yes, we have a variety of vegetarian and vegan recipes in "Recipes for a Growing Family". Whether you're looking for meatless meals or plant-based options, we have plenty of delicious recipes that will satisfy the whole family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithhart
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • janetupnorth
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rennea
Replies