• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I rebuild my customer base after moving my business to a new location?

In summary, the woman is moving her business from Ohio to Georgia and is scared she will lose her customers and career. She is on "leave" with her company until the end of June due to the relocation. She is looking for suggestions on how to get new customers. She suggests contacting people near you, wearing your business logo everywhere, and contacting the local chamber of commerce. She also suggests Pampering a business, talking to your children's teachers, and joining a local group.
hmolah
Hello all-

I've just moved my business from Ohio to Georgia as my husband had a job transfer. I honestly don't even know where to begin to get new leads! I haven't had to do this in such a long time! I guess I need some suggestions or reminders of the basics. It's funny, we get in a roll, and then you run into a wall, or the road ends and you're left trying to figure out how to roll again. lol That's the best way I can describe it.

I've lost all of my customers besides my family (whom I have exhausted for shows) and really literally have to start from scratch. I'm a bit scared. I'm on 'leave' with PC until the end of June, because of the relocation and all that came with it. So, I'm running out of time. I don't want to deactivate, because if I do, I doubt I'd return. Losing my career sales would just be hard for me. To boot, the only 1 person I know, was a previous downline that is very active in the military now, and isn't even here really! So, I literally don't know a single person here! That really scares me! lol

Any ideas? I'm not currently working which will hopefully change soon, but I just don't remember how to put myself out there again and get bookings! It seems so basic, but when you don't even have your circle to start with, where do you start?

Thanks in advance for all of the suggestions!

Are there any upcoming craft shows or fairs where you can get a booth? Since May is HWC, it's usually easier to approach people. Try your bank, hair salon, dentist, doctor office, kids school, nail salon.....
Do you have kids? Do they play sports or are they in school?
Wear your logo shirts everywhere you go!

That's all I can think of right now. But there is a CD on supply order about move-it you won't lose it that is supposed to be good.

Start introducing yourself to neighbors - host an open house...tell them you just moved and need help getting your business off the ground here.Don't be afraid to ask for referrals!!!!Check with the local chamber of commerce...
Check for local fairs...Pamper a business...Wear PC stuff EVERYWHERE...

An ad in your local paper. I did this when I relocated and it was a great success. The fairs also made a difference. Find out if your area has a welcome wagon. My welcome wagon contacts 40 new homeowners a month with my information. Talk PC with everyone.

I agree with getting the CD on the supply order. Or contacting past hosts, tell them your situation and offer catalog shows. Pamper a business, talk to your children's (if you have any) teachers, babysitters, etc. Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Join a local group, get your kids into sports, volunteer.

I was "shy" about asking people about PC, so I found ways to bring it up. When in the line at the store I would talk about the recipe I was making at home to try out for my cooking shows. It would spark interest in others and I was able to comfortably share a mini-catalog. I didn't take any time away from PC. I think that's what sparked me to find ways to rebuild my business. I had to stay active.

Once I got the first couple of shows, and people saw I was fun, I was able to book 3-4 per show, which has kept me going the last year. As uncomfortable as it is, you just have to go outside your box sometimes. Good luck!

As a navy wife, I understand that moving can really suck with a home business. It can be very hard. Just keep your chin up and goals in mind.

I keep catalogs and order forms in my car, business cards in my purse and PC on the brain. So if there is any spark of conversation related to it I can jump right into the conversation. Like others have said, mention it at the doctors or dentist office. As if you can leave a catalog in their waiting room. Sometimes when I'm waiting to get into my appointment I'll break out a list of to dos along with a catalog and people take notice. It may seem odd, but they do.

I admire your courage and wish you the best.

Get a PC LOGO on your car! It works! Join a new church and maybe talk to the minister about some help. Maybe they know someone or maybe even themselves or maybe even let you cook a lunch after church one day. Who knows! Wear that PC logo everywhere. Get to know your neighbors. Get little signs (garage sale type) that says you are a PC consultant or you're hosting an open house, etc. Post them all over the neighborhood. Does your spouse know anyone? Maybe he can get a few leads for you? Kids schools are great if you have kids. And even if you don't go pamper the office staff. Ask if you can leave a few catalogs with them. Go pamper any business! Bring food, orders will come! Get a hospitality Director and see if she/he can help you with ideas. Or maybe they have a vendor show you can sit in on too! Maybe see if you can set up a little table at your bank, etc.etc. Hope these ideas help. Try a few a day or 5 a week or so and it should help!

I moved in Dec and again in Feb. I introduced myself to various businesses. Most small business owners know what it is like to be starting out in a new area. The owner of a local coffee shop didn't hesitate...I think she offered to host a show before I could even offer her the opportunity to do so. Four bookings at her show are what got me rolling. A fellow DS rep (MK) also hosted a show for me that generated a whole other chain.

Get your hair and nails done at different salons. Tell the owners you just relocated your own business and offer to do a catalog show.

It'll only take a couple shows to get you back up and running. :)

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have had moving, unpacking and settling in on the brain!

I will definitely try these suggestions. I did wear a pc shirt the other day, and didn't get a single node. Of course, I didn't even bring it up either. :( That shy thing again...

Hubby works at a very large company. They employ over 6000 people just in this location. I asked him if he would be able to take in food to his department, and he said yes. I'm hopeful something might come out of that. But, he said he's only 1 of 2 married guys in his 'office'. But, who knows who else might come along! I'd love to go and 'pamper' the office, but you can't get in without a security clearance. It's a large aircraft manufacturer, so they don't let just anyone walk around. Even, if I had a cake or dessert. :p

I love the ideas! I didn't think about the smaller businesses. It's funny, it's like learning to ride a bike again. I know it'll come back and I'll get into it, but in the mean time, I'm trying to figure out how to even get on the bike!

Oh and no kids...lol. Thanks!

hmolah said:
Thank you all for the suggestions! I have had moving, unpacking and settling in on the brain!

I will definitely try these suggestions. I did wear a pc shirt the other day, and didn't get a single node. Of course, I didn't even bring it up either. :( That shy thing again...

Hubby works at a very large company. They employ over 6000 people just in this location. I asked him if he would be able to take in food to his department, and he said yes. I'm hopeful something might come out of that. But, he said he's only 1 of 2 married guys in his 'office'. But, who knows who else might come along! I'd love to go and 'pamper' the office, but you can't get in without a security clearance. It's a large aircraft manufacturer, so they don't let just anyone walk around. Even, if I had a cake or dessert. :p

I love the ideas! I didn't think about the smaller businesses. It's funny, it's like learning to ride a bike again. I know it'll come back and I'll get into it, but in the mean time, I'm trying to figure out how to even get on the bike!

Oh and no kids...lol. Thanks!

Um, excuse me...what does that mean? Single guys don't cook or even eat?! Hello - missing potential big opportunity there! Tell him to approach them!

I have single guys at work that will NEVER go to a party but love the Pampered Chef. They say they don't buy often because people don't approach them but when people do they place larger orders if they can. My last show had a $75 order from a single guy and he is looking to get more in a month or two.

Don't judge before you try that will hamper your opportunities.

Good point... ;) I'm definitely going to send him in with a recipe. Now, I just need to decide what! :) I have so many good ones! lol

janetupnorth said:
Um, excuse me...what does that mean? Single guys don't cook or even eat?! Hello - missing potential big opportunity there! Tell him to approach them!

I have single guys at work that will NEVER go to a party but love the Pampered Chef. They say they don't buy often because people don't approach them but when people do they place larger orders if they can. My last show had a $75 order from a single guy and he is looking to get more in a month or two.

Don't judge before you try that will hamper your opportunities.

Heather, why do you think you need to give up all your contacts from your previous location just because you moved? Those customers can still place individual orders and hold catalog shows for you. Don't write off what those can do for your sales and toward keeping you active.

Contact some of your customers (& family) from Ohio ~ ask them to help you out with catalog parties until you get your biz in Georgia established.

chefann said:
Heather, why do you think you need to give up all your contacts from your previous location just because you moved? Those customers can still place individual orders and hold catalog shows for you. Don't write off what those can do for your sales and toward keeping you active.

I was thinking that too Ann - glad you asked her...

I sent out an email letting everyone know that my business was moving. I got several emails of well-wishes, and salutations, but, I was disappointed to see that all were looking for someone locally. Believe me I did specify how easy it would be to order online, etc. But, no luck. Honestly, 80% of the people didn't even respond at all. See, in the 3-4 months before we relocated, I finished up and graduated college, lost a job, cared for a ill family member who passed away and lost 2 more friends/family members to various diseases, cancer, etc. The only reason I stayed active was holiday orders, etc. I had to take leave from PC in order not to lose my career sales, etc. I wasn't doing a great job at keeping in contact with everyone. I couldn't due to all the happenings in my personal life. So, I lost touch with a lot of customers.

chefann said:

On a positive note...I did go out wearing my PC shirt and carrying that trusty dusty catalog tote and when I was leaving the store, had 2 different people approach me that filled out survey slips and are interested in hosting a show, and BOTH are intersted in the opportunity! Not bad for only 1.5 hours out of the house running 2 errands!

So, thanks for the advice! It's so simple right? I just forgot how to do this stuff! lol Well, life is much easier now. (See my previous post for the RD version of why.):chef:

hmolah said:
I did go out wearing my PC shirt and carrying that trusty dusty catalog tote and when I was leaving the store, had 2 different people approach me that filled out survey slips and are interested in hosting a show, and BOTH are intersted in the opportunity! Not bad for only 1.5 hours out of the house running 2 errands!

So, thanks for the advice! It's so simple right? I just forgot how to do this stuff! lol Well, life is much easier now. (See my previous post for the RD version of why.):chef:

WHOHOO! There you go - EXCELLENT start!

Heather, I feel your pain. I am having a bit of trouble getting started back up since my move, and then, my confidence level took a nose dive. I need to go back to the basics, and just do it all again- pull out cd's to listen to, and pull up my big-girl panties, and just do it!!!!

Heather-where in GA did you move to?

hmolah said:
I did go out wearing my PC shirt and carrying that trusty dusty catalog tote and when I was leaving the store, had 2 different people approach me that filled out survey slips and are interested in hosting a show, and BOTH are intersted in the opportunity! Not bad for only 1.5 hours out of the house running 2 errands!

Great to hear!

Hahahaha...I hear ya!

mrssyvo said:
Heather, I feel your pain. I am having a bit of trouble getting started back up since my move, and then, my confidence level took a nose dive. I need to go back to the basics, and just do it all again- pull out cd's to listen to, and pull up my big-girl panties, and just do it!!!!

I'm in Pooler, which is about 15 minutes away from Savannah. Where are you located?

laylaleigh said:
Heather-where in GA did you move to?

We are a Navy family and we moved from RI to CA in September. It was a hard thing to do but it worked out in the best. I posted a flyer on our neighborhood's webgroup and offered $15 in free products if people hosted shows from Sept-Halloween. Less than 12 hours later I got a booking! That was an $800 show! Can't beat that. :)

I also met new friends at a spouses' club meeting and I just closed a show today at $900! Those are my best two shows in the one year I've been with PC!

Trust me- If I can do this business ANYONE can!

mrssyvo said:

You go, girl!! :thumbup:

Ok, so I went out on a walk to Target and Home Depot today with my family wearing my PC pin and carrying my tote. I didn't get a single comment or question, but my husband said I looked like a nerd :grumpy:

1. What should I do first after moving my business?

The first thing you should do after moving your business is to update all of your important documents, such as your business license, tax forms, and any necessary permits. This will ensure that your business is legally recognized in your new location.

2. How do I inform my customers about my business's move?

It is important to communicate with your customers about your business's move. You can do this through various methods, such as sending out an email blast, updating your website and social media platforms, and posting signs at your old location with your new address.

3. How can I attract new customers in my new location?

One way to attract new customers in your new location is by hosting a grand opening event. This can help create buzz and attract potential customers. You can also reach out to local businesses and offer special deals or collaborations to help expand your customer base.

4. What steps should I take to ensure a smooth transition for my business?

To ensure a smooth transition for your business, make sure to plan ahead and create a timeline for the move. Inform your employees and make sure they are prepared for the move. Also, update your marketing materials and notify your suppliers and vendors of your new location.

5. How can I minimize the impact of the move on my business?

To minimize the impact of the move on your business, it is important to plan and communicate effectively. Make sure to have a contingency plan in case of any unforeseen challenges. Also, try to schedule the move during a slower period for your business to minimize disruption to daily operations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• andi330
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Lani
  • A Pampered Kitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • cttdbreeves