• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Overcome My Depression During These Trying Times?

In summary, the conversation revolves around Meg's feelings of being in a funk and struggling to stay motivated due to family issues. She expresses concern that she may be clinically depressed and asks for advice on how to get through it. Other members offer support and suggest small goals and seeking help from a doctor. One member also offers to meet up and make calls together.
pamela
I am in a serious funk...all of this family stuff has just taken over my head and I can't get through the fog to concentrate on my business (or housework, or kids stuf....):cry:. I have time tonight to make calls, but have NO desire to. PLEASE will someone get me motivated? I am even considering that I might be depressed (clinically speaking). Anyone know the signs? HELP!!!!:cry::cry:
I know I am not alone, I do not want to hurt myself (but others have crossed my mind). I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.....should I or what?

Meg, after my miscarriage at the end of January, I felt the same way. It was very hard to get motivated to do ANYTHING.In regards to my business, I set small goals. I forced myself to spend 30 mins making calls. And you know what? That 30 turned into 45, turned into an hour and I got my groove back.Start small and you can do this!

Margaret:

I do know the signs, since I've dealt with depression/anxiety issues for the past 7 years. I would definitely seek out your doctor and discuss what you're feeling with him/her. I don't know your age, but my symptoms came around age 40, along with all those lovely hormonal changes. I don't experience depression to the same degree I did when I was first diagnosed, but anxiety (especially in the winter months) can completely take over. My doctor says that they are absolutely related, so it's not uncommon to experience one or the other.

Things do get better, so please hang in there and make sure you visit your doctor.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Mary

I was just going to suggest the same thing Deb did - SMALL goals. Reward yourself after 15 minutes of calls or after a certain # of calls...reward yourself with a scoop of ice-cream or a chocolate kiss or something...then jump back in for another 15 minutes or another "x" # of calls.
Big hugs to you!

I'm sorry to hear that, Meg. That's so hard. I feel for you because I'm sure dealing with all these stressors isn't easy. As for depression, I've worked in the mental health field for 14 years and I've seen a lot of it. I think the advice of seeking out some help is worth it. Not that you're in a major, major crisis or anything, but I think it would help. As for signs of depression, if your moods are starting to affect your sleep or your eating (too much OR too little of both) or your everyday responsibilities, it is something to get checked out. Even if you don't have an diagnosis of depression, therapy can be helpful just to help give you the tools to manage things better. I know it's helped me when I've just felt overwhelmed with life and needed to prioritize things and regain some control.

Good luck!! I like the idea of just setting aside 30 minutes to make calls. I know I've done that when I've been in a funk and I didn't even put pressure on myself to ask for bookings or search for recruit leads. I just checked in with people about their products and when they seemed genuinely glad that I called, that felt good and I kept going. You can do it!!

Don't worry - you'll come out of it. You've got a lot on your plate, so find something that you DO enjoy and make sure you do it so you're taking care of yourself too!:)

{{{{{hugs}}}} and what everyone else has said. The kitchen timer is your best friend!

Hey Margaret! I'm pretty sure we are pretty close in proxemity to each other (I think we've had that conversation before)...what are your plans for tomorrow night??? You want to meet somewhere...like Panerea by VCC or Mechanicsville (I don't remember exactly where you live) and make calls? I need to make calls to and sometimes find it's easier to get out and do it with someone, to be held accountable. As of right now I have nothing tomorrow night, so let me know if it's something you are up for!

As far as possibly being depressed, I'd go talk to your doctor. I went through a lot last year with my dad being sick and was put on Lexapro. It made the biggest difference. I was hesitant to go on it, but my doctor explained it to me and compared it to Air Conditioning. Do we have to have AC during the summer? No. Does having AC during the summer make life a little more bearable? Yes. It really did help get through some tough times and I came off of it the end of last year/beginning of this year. His analogy really helped me understand it wasn't a life long thing, just something to help during the tough times.

Let me know about tomorrow night!!

Jennifer, I can't make it tomorrow night due to recital rehersal...but I may take you up on it soon! I live in Chesterfield, so we could find a central location!

I really lit into my neighbor this morning about something very trivial between our daughters and that is when I realized I need help. I have been on medication for years for PMDD, but I think this is beyond what that medication can do. I plan to call the doctor after lunch and make an appt for Friday. I am still trying to do things for myself~I am walking the local Susan G Komen race on Saturday morning....that's good, right?

I think I will set my timer tonight and make calls for 30 minutes. (After I apologize to my neighbor!)

Thanks for the support everyone!

Hey Meg,
You may just need a medication adjustment, especially if you've been on the same meds for a couple years. There are even newer meds out there probably. Good luck!!!

pamperedbecky said:
Hey Meg,
You may just need a medication adjustment, especially if you've been on the same meds for a couple years. There are even newer meds out there probably. Good luck!!!

I called and spoke with the nurse~they have increased my med from 10 mg to 20 mg and want me to watch my symptoms for 2 weeks. If there is little or no improvement, I am to call back and see the doc.

I also talked to my husband about my tiff with the neighbor and he said it was about time I said something to her! He felt like what I had to say needed to be said some time ago and he felt that I had to get to my breaking point for it to happen....I still need to apologize to her and her daughter, if for no other reason than to set an example for my daughter, but I think I will be scaling back how much time they spend together.

As for PC, I just need to put on my big girl panties and move along with these calls! I have been with the company long enough to know that this won't happen unless I do something about my attitude. I will start off small tonight, and then try again Friday evening and see what results I get.

My Dad goes back for chemo next week and I expect things to hit the fan by next weekend, so I need to have my head on straight by then, especially since I have 2 shows, DH and DS are on a Boy Scout camping trip and I will need to call in favors from several friends (NOT THE NEIGHBOR!) in order to not involve my Mom in any of this! What a mess....................

I told DH I heard this great saying last week "God never closes a door without opening a window...it is the wait in the hall that is hard"....well, he tells me that the "wait in the hall" is called FAITH! I need to get back on my spiritual track if I am to get through all of this. Hoping the med dosage change helps!

chefmeg said:
I told DH I heard this great saying last week "God never closes a door without opening a window...it is the wait in the hall that is hard"....well, he tells me that the "wait in the hall" is called FAITH!

That really hit home for me Meg. (I'm in a challenging spot, faith-wise, right now.) Thank you for sharing.

Hope you are feeling better.

Kris

Originally Posted by chefmeg
I told DH I heard this great saying last week "God never closes a door without opening a window...it is the wait in the hall that is hard"....well, he tells me that the "wait in the hall" is called FAITH!
I have quoted that many times but had never heard that end part before. Thanks for stating it! It is SO true.

Meg, my prayers are with you too. Hang in there and focus your energies to positive things.

chefmeg said:
I called and spoke with the nurse~they have increased my med from 10 mg to 20 mg and want me to watch my symptoms for 2 weeks. If there is little or no improvement, I am to call back and see the doc.

I also talked to my husband about my tiff with the neighbor and he said it was about time I said something to her! He felt like what I had to say needed to be said some time ago and he felt that I had to get to my breaking point for it to happen....I still need to apologize to her and her daughter, if for no other reason than to set an example for my daughter, but I think I will be scaling back how much time they spend together.

As for PC, I just need to put on my big girl panties and move along with these calls! I have been with the company long enough to know that this won't happen unless I do something about my attitude. I will start off small tonight, and then try again Friday evening and see what results I get.

My Dad goes back for chemo next week and I expect things to hit the fan by next weekend, so I need to have my head on straight by then, especially since I have 2 shows, DH and DS are on a Boy Scout camping trip and I will need to call in favors from several friends (NOT THE NEIGHBOR!) in order to not involve my Mom in any of this! What a mess....................

I told DH I heard this great saying last week "God never closes a door without opening a window...it is the wait in the hall that is hard"....well, he tells me that the "wait in the hall" is called FAITH! I need to get back on my spiritual track if I am to get through all of this. Hoping the med dosage change helps!
Meg,

I know this post is a couple of weeks old, but I felt inclined to read it for some reason. Now I know why. You mentioned that your dad is going through chemo. Today is the 2 year anniversary of my dad's loss in his fight with cancer. My mom lost her fight 4 months later. I know what you're going through, and it sucks. Depression has a tendency to creep in and take over when you're going through something like losing a parent. If there's anything that I can do for you, other than pray which I'll already be doing, please let me know. You sound like an amazing woman, so hold your head up high and believe!

Emily

Related to How Can I Overcome My Depression During These Trying Times?

1. What is "Boot up Butt, Please!!!"?

"Boot up Butt, Please!!!" is a Pampered Chef product that helps you easily make homemade boot-shaped cookies. It includes a cookie cutter, recipe card, and decorative icing tips.

2. How do I use the "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" cookie cutter?

To use the "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" cookie cutter, simply roll out your cookie dough and press the cookie cutter into the dough. Then, carefully remove the excess dough and bake according to your recipe's instructions.

3. What recipes can I make with "Boot up Butt, Please!!!"?

You can make any cookie recipe that can be rolled out and cut into shapes. However, the "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" set also comes with a delicious boot-shaped sugar cookie recipe.

4. Is the "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" cookie cutter dishwasher safe?

Yes, the "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" cookie cutter is dishwasher safe. However, it is recommended to hand wash for best results and longevity of the product.

5. Can I use the "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" for anything other than cookies?

The "Boot up Butt, Please!!!" cookie cutter is specifically designed for making cookies, but you can also use it to cut out shapes in other soft foods such as bread, cheese, or fruit. It can also be used as a fun stencil for decorating cakes or cupcakes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
finley1991
  • baychef
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Koolotus
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies