• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I get rid of the burning sensation on my hands after handling jalapenos?

In summary, Carolyn's husband was cutting up some peppers and got a burning sensation to his fingers. He can't see any cuts where any juice could get into so he's thinking it might be the peppers. He tries washing his hands many times and then tries rubbing alcohol, aloe vera, and vinegar. He thinks it might be the capsaicin in the peppers. Debbie reminds us that we should wear gloves when handling peppers and if we have a personal itch, we shouldn't scratch it. Finally, Carolyn says that some lessons are better learned in field experience than in the classroom.
momoftwins
Hey all - I was chopping up onions, celery, green peppers and jalepenos tonight with my food chopper to make canned salsa. After chopping those items my fingers on my one had have like a burning sensation to them. I can't see any cuts where any juice could get into. Any idea what I can do to get rid of it??????????? I have washed my hands about a bajillion times!!!! Thanks in advance!

WowI have read and through personal experience I recommend you get a good pair of latex gloves to do this next time. Sometimes the oils will get under your fingernails and in your skin. It's powerful stuff.

I would try rubbing alcohol to try to kill those juices, then some aloe vera to soothe the burning. Then keep washing your hands until they feel better.

Debbie :D

It's the jalapenos. Doesn't matter if you don't have cuts... the membranes and seeds hold the heat. If you handled them without gloves, you will get burns and it won't matter how many times you wash your hands. It's just like a burn from a hot pan... you can't wash it off. Hope you feel better soon!

would vinegar help balance anything on your skin?

Capsaicin is the chemical in peppers that gives the heat. You've been burned so treat it as you would any other first degree burn.Capsaicin resides in the yellow stuff that holds the seeds in the pepper and that's the stuff to watch for. The more of that membrane in your food, the hotter the dish will be.Wear gloves when you handle peppers and whatever you do, when you're handling peppers, keep your fingers away from your eyes and mucus membranes!

I found these on google- 1) rubbing alcohol, 2) tomatoes- i guess you just rub a bit of sliced tomato on it? 3) onion- again, rub a bit of sliced onion on it.
If you DO use rubbing alcohol and if you use a cloth to apply it, do not use the cloth again later by mistake or you will fire the whole thing up again.
And in the future, wear gloves.
My dh slices these peppers all the time with his bare hands with no problem. I don't know how he does it. My eyes start to burn just being in the room when he cuts them.

friday said:
I found these on google- 1) rubbing alcohol, 2) tomatoes- i guess you just rub a bit of sliced tomato on it? 3) onion- again, rub a bit of sliced onion on it.
If you DO use rubbing alcohol and if you use a cloth to apply it, do not use the cloth again later by mistake or you will fire the whole thing up again.
And in the future, wear gloves.
My dh slices these peppers all the time with his bare hands with no problem. I don't know how he does it. My eyes start to burn just being in the room when he cuts them.

Friday-that avatar just cracks me up each time I see it!:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Capsaicin is the chemical in peppers that gives the heat. You've been burned so treat it as you would any other first degree burn.

Capsaicin resides in the yellow stuff that holds the seeds in the pepper and that's the stuff to watch for. The more of that membrane in your food, the hotter the dish will be.

Wear gloves when you handle peppers and whatever you do, when you're handling peppers, keep your fingers away from your eyes and mucus membranes!

And if you have a, um, personal itch...don't scratch it after handling jalapenos. My DH learned this the hard way -LOL

dannyzmom said:
And if you have a, um, personal itch...don't scratch it after handling jalapenos. My DH learned this the hard way -LOL
:eek: oh thats awful! He must have been just in agony!!:eek:

I reiterate...
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Wear gloves when you handle peppers and whatever you do, when you're handling peppers, keep your fingers away from your eyes and mucus membranes!
Methinks that some lessons are better learned in field experience than the classroom. ;)

dannyzmom said:

Carolyn-that makes me want to cry and laugh all at the same time!

Yeah, watch those peppers (and for Carolyn's husband, other hot items...). That was TOOOOOO funny! (Well, probably not to him!)

...and for those buying gloves, I would buy non-latex. Even if you don't have a latex allergy now, they can develop (speaking from experience) and are not fun!

dannyzmom said:

That made my DH Squirm...... ROFL........ that is too funny well not for him...... :)

1. What could be causing the burning sensation on my hands?

There can be several reasons for a burning sensation on your hands, including nerve damage, skin irritation, exposure to chemicals, or an underlying medical condition. It is best to consult a doctor to determine the exact cause and receive appropriate treatment.

2. Can using certain kitchen tools or products cause a burning sensation on my hands?

In some cases, yes. If you have sensitive skin or are allergic to certain materials, using certain kitchen tools or products may cause a burning sensation on your hands. It is important to always read labels and use products according to their directions to avoid any potential skin irritation.

3. How can I prevent a burning sensation on my hands while cooking?

To prevent a burning sensation on your hands while cooking, make sure to use oven mitts or potholders when handling hot dishes or pots. Also, avoid touching hot surfaces or using harsh chemicals without protective gloves. If you have sensitive skin, consider using natural or hypoallergenic products while cooking.

4. Is there a specific remedy for a burning sensation on my hands?

The remedy for a burning sensation on your hands depends on the cause. For minor burns, you can run cool water over the affected area and apply aloe vera gel or a burn cream. If the burning sensation persists or is accompanied by other symptoms, it is best to seek medical advice.

5. Can I still use my hands to cook if I experience a burning sensation?

It is not recommended to continue cooking if you are experiencing a burning sensation on your hands. Take a break and assess the cause of the sensation. If it is due to a minor burn or skin irritation, you can continue cooking with proper protection. However, if the sensation is severe or persistent, it is best to seek medical attention and avoid using your hands for cooking until the issue is resolved.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
missydivine
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
Replies