• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Wants Me to Cook a Whole Meal...

In summary, the conversation revolved around a Mexican Fiesta theme and the host's desire to make multiple dishes for the guests. However, there were concerns about the show being more about the food than the products and the potential for intimidating guests. Suggestions were given to address these concerns, including focusing on the simplicity of one recipe and emphasizing the products, and offering to give copies of the recipes to the host so she can make the meal for her family later. It was also suggested to mention the host's extra efforts to provide additional food as a bonus for the guests. The main message was that the show should focus on the products and the host should not feel pressured to make extra food.
chefliz
Gold Member
(for the guests AND her family-SIGH...) We were discussing the recipe to make and decided on the enchilada casserole with the triple citrus mojitos as a Mexican Fiesta theme. She felt this would absolutely not be enough (and she is a very good friend of mine) so I told her we could double the drink recipe and make last year's salsa recipe from the catalog also but the drinks had to be made ahead of time and so did the salsa. Then she said she wanted to make dessert and insists upon making the Summer Berry Shortcakes also. She said she will make them ahead of time. She wants to make more and I tried to explain to her that I understand she feels that she has to have lots of food to entertain her guests but they will be having so much fun, they won't be that focused on her food. Also, while she usually has at least $500 to $600 shows, she NEVER has any bookings because everyone sees how much trouble she goes to, and they are afraid to have a party because they don't want to go to all that trouble.

That is when she said, "But my husband and kids want to have leftovers when they come home..." I didn't quite know what to say at that point. She is one of those people that is very intimidating anyway because her house is always spotless and then she makes all this food-so people come and think-"OH, well, I could NEVER do that!" Therefore, I never get any bookings.

Suggestions please...

first, since she is intimidating, you'll need to put your big girl panties on.
Then, explain that for you, the show is not about the food, it is about the products. YOU need to tell HER what recipes you will do and that if she chooses to do more, it is up to her. You could turn it into a recruiting discussion! Since she likes making the extra food so much, she would be great at PC!
DO NOT let her control the situation and make sure that at the show, you make a point to the guests that no one needs to go through any trouble to have a show~try to point out how easy the process is and that this particular host goes to more trouble than most.

It will feel good for you to take charge of your business, but always remember our customers are the REASON we are in business, so always do your best to please them (as long as it is reasonable) and you will have great success. As long as she is prepared to put the extra $$ out for the ingredients and prepare the salsa and dessert ahead of time, you could do the mojitos and the main dish at the show. You dont want to lose a good customer over a "power struggle" battle. Just do what you can to meet the customers needs but still be able to run the show smoothly. Hope this advice has helped, this is what I would do in your situation!

If she wants leftovers for the family, I'd tell her that you'll give her copies of the recipes so she can make the whole meal for them later. I'd really stress that you (both of you as a team) want everything to look quick and easy, too many things going on, food prep-wise, is stressfull for everyone.

I know that it's hard to stand up to someone you know, especially someone that you consider intimidating. You can do the "feel, felt, found" method. "I know how you feel about offering lots of food, I have felt the same way, but what I've found is that less is more and your friends will be very happy with just making ________ (fill in the blank)".

You can even tell her how much research the home office puts into each show theme/recipe, etc and everyone is so excited about the simplicity of just one recipe.

As a side note....I grew up in Xenia and we went to church camp at Butler Springs in Hillsboro :) Small world!

OH, Also you could tell the guests at the show that normally you just do one dish but that their host ______________ decided to go above and beyond to provide some extra goodies for you to munch on! (That way the guests are not so overwhelmed that they don't want to book from you!)

You are not a caterer, friend or not! SHE can make as little or as much food as She wants! But I always explain to hosts that our recipe is for "sampling" and they can provide extra food if they so choose. Whether it be salads, dips, veggies, cookies etc. The only time I do make an extra recipe is if there are going to be 15-20+ guests expected. Chef Meg has good advice explaining to guests it's not hard to have a party- just invite the friends and you will do the rest ;). Definitely don't let her intimidate you!

Last edited:
I've always let my hosts know that they are more than welcome to have anything else they'd like to have with what I'm making - and that it doesn't have to be a PC recipe. It could even be chips/dip, or veggies, etc. I always tell them that the guests aren't coming there for dinner, but just for a "sampling". I think it's important to say this because we are NOT chefs that prepare food just so that people can eat it.

If it's someone you've known for a while, simply try to let her know that you understand that this is what we've done in the past, but I've told myself that I have to start reducing my show time (etc.) and that the best way is to prepare less food. If you sort-of put it on yourself as being the "problem" instead of her being the "problem", then perhaps she'll understand.

I do wish you the best.

c00p said:
I've always let my hosts know that they are more than welcome to have anything else they'd like to have with what I'm making - and that it doesn't have to be a PC recipe. It could even be chips/dip, or veggies, etc. I always tell them that the guests aren't coming there for dinner, but just for a "sampling". I think it's important to say this because we are NOT chefs that prepare food just so that people can eat it.

If it's someone you've known for a while, simply try to let her know that you understand that this is what we've done in the past, but I've told myself that I have to start reducing my show time (etc.) and that the best way is to prepare less food. If you sort-of put it on yourself as being the "problem" instead of her being the "problem", then perhaps she'll understand.

I do wish you the best.

I think I was trying to say this, but it didn't come out that way when I typed!:eek: Very good advice! Our friends can be the worst hosts in this respect because they have more of a relationship with you than other hosts do; that being said, don't let her control how you do your business. If you put it on yourself and it doesn't work, you have 2 choices~your way or her way!

Everyone already stated what I would have.

I would never do that again!

My host this past weekend planned to have a whole bunch of stuff. None of it homemade, but a lot of food nonetheless (shrimp and cold cut trays, adult beverages, etc.). I pointed out to her that while I understood that she wanted to be a gracious host, it would be in her best interest for it to look really easy to host, since she would then be able to take advantage of the booking benefit at those shows. She seemed to get it. Of course, when I showed up, she had shrimp and cold cuts out. :rolleyes: That's a little different situation than a host wanting leftovers for her family though. That's very forward of her, and I think I'd be dumbfounded if a host said that to me, too.

I've had hosts tell me they want leftovers for their family, and I offered to double the main recipe during the demo, being as it would still basically be the same thing, but that I cannot do more than one recipe or it simply takes too much time and there isn't enough time for chatting and enjoying the guests...OR they can choose to make extra recipes ahead of time themselves. I don't want to wreck the fun of having friends over by them getting bored with extra recipes and no time for chatting...

jenne said:
I've had hosts tell me they want leftovers for their family, and I offered to double the main recipe during the demo, being as it would still basically be the same thing, but that I cannot do more than one recipe or it simply takes too much time and there isn't enough time for chatting and enjoying the guests...OR they can choose to make extra recipes ahead of time themselves. I don't want to wreck the fun of having friends over by them getting bored with extra recipes and no time for chatting...

I agree with Jenny!

Also...when you are speaking of bookings, make sure you say that each host is different, and that you have some hostesses who want to make a whole spread (which you and the guests appreciate, just like today's host) and some who put out a bowl of pretzels and have a few 2 liters out! Focus on how it can fit EACH person...no matter how much or how little they want to do!

Maybe I misread but it sounds like the host wants to fix all of the food. I say let her. Her family & friends obviously know that is how she hosts things so I don't see why they wouldn't book a show because of that. I would still only demo one recipe but let her fix what she wants. I have had numerous shows that looked like an all-you-can-eat buffet that I got bookings from & then have had hosts only serve 1 type of soda with the demo recipe that had none.

What is the best way to plan a whole meal for a Pampered Chef host?

First, start by discussing the host's dietary preferences and any food allergies they or their guests may have. Next, choose a Pampered Chef recipe that can easily be scaled up or down depending on the number of guests. Finally, create a grocery list and timeline to ensure everything is prepared and cooked in a timely manner.

Can I use my own recipes when cooking for a Pampered Chef host?

While we recommend using Pampered Chef recipes to showcase our products, you are welcome to use your own recipes with the host's permission. Just make sure that the recipe does not require any equipment or tools that are not available through Pampered Chef.

How can I involve the host and their guests in the cooking process?

One fun way to involve the host and their guests is to have them help with the prep work, such as chopping vegetables or measuring ingredients. You can also have them assist with cooking or setting the table. This not only makes them feel included, but it also allows them to learn more about our products and how to use them.

What if the host has a small kitchen or limited cooking space?

No problem! Our recipes are designed to be flexible and can be adapted to fit any kitchen size. You can also suggest alternative cooking methods, such as using a grill or slow cooker, to accommodate for limited space.

Is there a limit to the number of guests I can cook for as a Pampered Chef consultant?

No, there is no limit to the number of guests you can cook for as a Pampered Chef consultant. Just make sure to communicate with the host and plan accordingly to ensure a successful and enjoyable cooking experience for all.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rchamelin
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Nanisu
Replies
Views
ElieQ
  • lt1jane
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies