• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Coaching Frustrations: My Struggle to Close a Show on Time

In summary, the conversation discusses a catalog show host who has not returned any emails or phone calls from the summarizer. The summarizer is considering turning the show into their own in order to receive benefits and a paycheck.
sailortena
I have to vent!

Here it is, 9 PM on the last day of the month, and I am sitting by the phone WAITING for a host to call me about her show that I am SUPPOSED to close today. This girl has rarely returned any emails or phone calls I have made to her. The show "started" at the first of the month. I have invested lots of time in host coaching her over the phone, through emails, and she tells me that she is trying to get orders.

I do have one order from her so far, for products more than $110 (made online). I have another order supposedly coming in tonight, but this host won't even call me back or email me what she wants herself!!!

I am totally frustrated because closing this show on time is really important to my cluster's averages, and I want to make at least a 22% commission this month.

I am REALLY tempted, if I get this other order in tonight (it's from my sister, a friend of the host) to turn it into my own show and get some benefits. Because this certainly has not been worth my effort or time to track down this woman and try to finalize things with her.

I am so mad I could spit.

OK, done venting now.

You're singing the same song I'm singing this evening. I've got a catalog show that was supposed to close at noon today - I've yet to hear from her. Like your hostess - doesn't return my emails or my calls. Early this week I did catch her and she assured me that she would have her orders in by today at noon. I'm really disappointed....mad as well. What I submit by tonight at midnight determines my paycheck before conference.Sometimes people's lack of consideration really bothers me.

I too was waiting for a catalog hostess to call and had made several calls to her that she didn't return until about an hour ago.....

seems that she just got back from the coroner's office. Her father in law had been missing for sometime and they found a body they think was him. Her husband had to go in and give a DNA sample.

Just know that things happen, perhaps there is a reason...

When dealing with catalog show hosts I have changed my "we just need to close it by the end of the month" to giving them a date like 26th or 27th. They still run a bit behind but giving them an extra day or two makes them feel better AND gets me a show by the end of the month.

It is hard for us to remember that closing this show is important ONLY to us. They can usually care less if they get some free PC stuff now or in a couple of weeks. While we are home sweating a paycheck. Sharing your personal goal with them and letting them know you are counting on them lets them feel like you are a team. It all comes back to relationships. When they feel a connection to you, they will work harder for you.

This must be the month for catalogue show hosts from hell! I have a hostess that was suppossed to do a show last month and then we turned it into a catalogue show for this month. Mind you this has been after calling and leaving messages and never hearing from her. I called her right after a 10 day trip to visit family and we were suppossed to close the show. I called and called and finally used my cell phone and she answered. (I think I caught her off guard) Of course she hadn't gotten any orders. I asked her if she was sure she still wanted to do this catalogue show and she said she did and wanted a couple more catalogues to send to relatives. I told her I would call the next week and we would close the show by the end of this month. Of course I haven't been able to get ahold of her since then. And she won't call me back. In fact I think she has caller id because I tried calling one night and the phone was busy. I called 3 minutes later and no one answered. I am washing my hands of her. I would like to have my host packet back though and the catalogues but something tells me I won't get anything back. I'm so glad that I only get hosts like this once in a great while. I have no tolerance for such rude in inconsiderate hosts.

I got another order in, and was able to talk to the host, who was at my sister's house of all places. She wanted to track down another relative and give me her order tomorrow. RIIIIIIGHT. I just want to close this show and wash my hands of her.

Well, at least my shows for july won't show ZERO sales in July ... I have nothing scheduled anyway.

And here I am, was top seller last month in my cluster and now I am totally embarrassed not to even break $700 for the month.

sailortena said:
And here I am, was top seller last month in my cluster and now I am totally embarrassed not to even break $700 for the month.

Don't worry about that - I was the top seller in my cluster in April and I have NOTHING for June!! It's just a hard month - right now I have 2 cooking and 1 catalog show scheduled for July. That is the nice thing about this biz - if you have a crudy month you can bounce back the next!

I close catalog shows during the third full week of the month. If I'm actually able to get in touch with the Host ;), this gives me plenty of time to get payment and close the show before the last day of the month.

I know that this month has made me take a long, hard look at what I am doing and what I need to do. I spent all my "free" time listening to PC CDs and reading EVERYTHING I could get my hands on to help build my business and stregthen it!

I too was at the top of my cluster, and in fact, made the Super Starter list on the PC Website all 3 of my first 3 months!

Hang in there...it's gonna get better!

I for one am so glad June is OVER!!! And I have never felt that way before.

I know the feeling! Except this time it's my fault. I didn't get the call from the host until late yesterday evening and she paid with check. I was going to go ahead and transmit since she's VERY trustworthy, to help out with the team challenge some more, but my son was sick all night from about 7pm on and I FORGOT TO SUBMIT THE SHOW! URRRGG! It didn't put me over another level or anything, but I really want that team challenge and I wanted to add another show to help out. Oh well, my 5 shows will just have to do! Only bad thing is I still have 3 June shows open and what a commission check that would have been!

My June was aweful...I told my son he could have commission from a show for his 2 basketball camps. He ended up with a 250.00 show which didn't give him much money, but it was enough to go for the cluster challenge. Then I had a relative that booked June 24 (booked on May 14), had her host packet for 6 weeks. Wasn't able to get her on the phone, but did send postcards with reminders. Well, I showed up at her house to find her sick. I asked why she didn't call me and we could reschedule....she said she thought she would be feeling better by the afternoon. Anyway, she had 5 buying guests at her show...all were past hosts except 1....absolutely ZERO outside orders. I did her show...she stayed in her bedroom....and left with a total of $65.00 in orders. I told her I would call her this week to close, because I needed the show in by the 30th. I told gave her a few people's names to call because they liked to buy a little each month and asked her to ask at work - she works at a hospital. When I finally got ahold of her on Friday, she had 2 orders to add bringing her total to $130.00. I was just sick. I added an order I had to make her show barely over $150.00...$100.00 short of cluster challenge level. I went over in my mind ways to bring that show up to the 250.00 level, but no way to get it in by deadline. So, I am hoping my sorry month did not keep my cluster members from getting their free product. Hopefully they had enough without me. I did have anothe host who booked in May, but I couldn't get her on the phone either.

In one way it is great the HO is trying to build our cluster sales and make us work together and depend on each other, but in anothe way, it is not fair that my other cluster members could miss an incentive because I am having a bad month. We needed 44 shows total.

So, since we can't get this product in the June sell-a-thon...not that I would have earned it anyway...and we can't get it in a sample package, I guess I will be paying the normal price for it.

Sorry to hear there are so many having the same lousy month I had.

Shawnna said:
In one way it is great the HO is trying to build our cluster sales and make us work together and depend on each other, but in anothe way, it is not fair that my other cluster members could miss an incentive because I am having a bad month. We needed 44 shows total.
I agree with that!

Shawnna said:
So, since we can't get this product in the June sell-a-thon...not that I would have earned it anyway...and we can't get it in a sample package, I guess I will be paying the normal price for it.
We can get it for half price by hosting a show that's at least $300 (after September 1) and taking it as the half price item. That's my plan.

Beth you are wise beyond your years!

June Is Over!!! Yaaaa Hoooo!

You are right Beth. I didn't even think about getting it on a half-price. I am going to have to clean out my cabinets so I will have room for the new products I want.

Shawnna said:
You are right Beth. I didn't even think about getting it on a half-price. I am going to have to clean out my cabinets so I will have room for the new products I want.

I have already run out of room. How do the people who have been doing this for years manage?!

AJPratt said:
I have already run out of room. How do the people who have been doing this for years manage?!

I shower my famiy and friends with my duplicates and out of date stuff that I don't have room for. As a director I usually end up with two sets of free stuff (director package and sell-a-thon), I keep some things so I can have one set for my kitchen and one for my kit. But alot makes it's way to the kitchen's of my family members. They have been SO supportive of my business (you know, placing an order for something they really didn't need right now just so I could make a sales goal :) ) I want them to know I appreciate all they do for me.

My sister-in-law LOVED it when I got the new Executive cookware...she got my old family skillet:D

AJPratt said:

Yes, being a PC lady, it's just not fair to have a TINY kitchen!! Which is what I have. After 4+ years, I have stuff downstairs & in closets that I don't use everyday. But it gives me just another reason why I want to buy a bigger house ASAP:D I do also give any duplicates to friends & family as gifts.

OK several days have past now, and the host has NOT called me back with an order she said she would try to get NOR has she told me what she wants herself. I am tired of this person not answering my emails or phone calls.
I have the minimum to make it a show.
Should I call/email her one more time and give her a deadline to tell me what she wants or I submit it myself? This girl is DEFINITELY not worth the $30 commission I will be getting for these orders. I have spent more than that on phone calls, postage and my time already on this show!

My last call to her would be something like (Intro myself)... and thank you so much for your hard work getting this show together. I'm sorry we keep missing each other, but I just wanted to let you know that I will submit it tonight so your guests receive their products in a timely manner. If she owes you money process the orders that are paid.

Do u already have the $$ from the show??!!

If so turn it in without her---If NOT --its not a show yet you can turn in--unless u have extra $$$
:D

The two people who ordered, one is the host's mom and the other is my sister, gave me credit cards.

Since this is a holiday, I think I will call her tomorrow and say she has a couple of days to get back to me or I am going to turn in the show.

If she doesn't give me the courtesy of calling me back, I will just submit it myself and have the orders all shipped to the customers directly. And then I am going to make it my own show.

Good idea!

It sounds like you have given her plenty of time, but a day or two may help put you at ease that you're being fair.

I am so glad that there are other consultants who didn't have the months they were hoping for! I felt I was the only person. I started out with 3 kitchen shows and ended with 0--- I did a few open house type deals and managed to pull a little over 800.00-- none were 250.00 or more, but added up to 500.00 Will I still get the 70.00 product? I too have had hosts that could care less-- my last one my only hope for getting my ss2 canceled the day before the show and had no outside orders--I'm hoping July is better!

pckimboyers said:
I am so glad that there are other consultants who didn't have the months they were hoping for! I felt I was the only person. I started out with 3 kitchen shows and ended with 0--- I did a few open house type deals and managed to pull a little over 800.00-- none were 250.00 or more, but added up to 500.00 Will I still get the 70.00 product? I too have had hosts that could care less-- my last one my only hope for getting my ss2 canceled the day before the show and had no outside orders--I'm hoping July is better!
Sorry, you won't get the $70 product because you personally had to do 2 shows with guest sales of $250 or more each (your TOTAL sales didn't matter for this) AND your team had to do the number of shows that your director was given. (If she has 15 in her downline her number would have been 32 - double the number of people including her)

Thanks for the info. That stinks, I really just tried to let it go, but now knowing I let my cluster down, it makes me feel bad for them. But, nothing I can do about it..... if it's our own personal business's, our business (or lack there of, in my case) shouldn't affect the success of somebody elses business.

pckimboyers said:
Thanks for the info. That stinks, I really just tried to let it go, but now knowing I let my cluster down, it makes me feel bad for them. But, nothing I can do about it..... if it's our own personal business's, our business (or lack there of, in my case) shouldn't affect the success of somebody elses business.
Send that comment to HO - email FIeld Services under Home office contacts/emails.

They need to hear that from everyone who feels that way! It is YOUR business and YOUR sales should not affect someone elses rewards.

Don't worry about letting your cluster down - how far from their goal were they? I bet it was more than 2 shows.

My cluster met the challenge, but I agree with the above poster.

Well I know all about that one...At our May meeting, we had to tell everyone how many shows we going to try to do in June. I said 4 and I did 4. However, the group fell short by three shows anyway. I was upset at first but decided it just wasn't worth it. I too really think it was a stinky thing to do to all of us. I do know however that they are trying to get us to work together for a common cause. Well, that may be a good idea in their eyes but I can't wait to see how many groups actually did not do it. Every ones lives are different. Alot of moms and dads who do this have kids that just got out of school for summer vacation and have things to do. There are alot of weddings and graduations to work around. I mean really, what are you supposed to do, tell your daughter you can't attend her graduation because you need to have 12 shows by the end of June and that you have to have this show because it was the only day so and so could do it. STUPID!!!!!
I have been doing this for 5.5 years and this year between this stunt and the HO return & exchange policy that seems to be all over the freaking place, I am beginning to really have some doubts about being in this organization.

pampered1224 said:
I have been doing this for 5.5 years and this year between this stunt and the HO return & exchange policy that seems to be all over the freaking place, I am beginning to really have some doubts about being in this organization.
We'll all get through this but HO needs to know what it is doing to us and to our reputation with our customers!

I would add the hold and submit rule, the $60 for a free $12 item and the increased amount we need to sell to get the new products to that laundry list.

Like I said before, they need to pay all those managers' big salaries!

Having said all that, I still think that Pampered Chef is the best company out there. Those home office chicks just need to not get anymore carried away than they have already gotten.

Well enough negative for me! I need to get in a happy frame of mind. OC...OC...OC ;)

BethCooks4U said:
We'll all get through this but HO needs to know what it is doing to us and to our reputation with our customers!
Couldn't agree more!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cewcooks
  • PamperedchefDaly
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • wmrmgr
  • Pampered Chef Shows