• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hip Resurfacing Surgery Scheduled

In summary, Judy will have a hip resurface surgery scheduled for August 26th. She is excited because if all goes well she will be able to walk again without pain. She is going to a doctor in Boulder, Colorado since he has more experience than the doctors where she lives. She has done a lot of research on the doctor and has heard nothing but good things.
jj16
Gold Member
Thought I'd let you know that I got my Hip Resurfacing Surgery Scheduled for August 26. I'm pretty excited because if all goes well I will be able to walk again without pain. I'm going to a doctor in Boulder, Colorado since he has more experience than the doctors where I live. I've done a lot of research on the doctor and have heard nothing but good things.

I get back from going to a reunion with my boyfriend this coming Sunday and Monday I leave for Boulder, Tuesday I see the doctor and Wednesday I have my surgery. I should be back home by Friday or Saturday.

I won't be able to be active unless a catalog show comes through or I have a show scheduled for the 19th. I'm hoping that by that time I'll be okay.

jj16:)

Sounds painful... but in the long run if all goes well all will be better..

will keep you and your surgeon in my prayers.

I'll be praying, too.

You'll be so glad when this is done! My best friend has had both hips done and my BIL has had one (and should be scheduling the second one shortly). They are both thrilled with the results.

Prayers going up!

Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement. I'm just hoping I can recover quickly so I can look for a different job since I can't make it 100% on PC.Judy

what exactly is hip resurfacing?
I had a total hip replacement 6 years ago in July...right when I came back from conference. I was 41 years old at the time...all is good with the replacement, but my surgeon measured wrong and my "re done" leg is almost 1 inch longer than my other...I havent been "right" since...
I was able, however, to stay active with doing catalog shows and using the "sympathy" method...
good luck

My mom went through this about 4 years ago and has never looked back. She is very active and is enjoying life!!

Prayers will be with you! You will be so happy you did this in the long run!

kreaser said:
what exactly is hip resurfacing?
I had a total hip replacement 6 years ago in July...right when I came back from conference. I was 41 years old at the time...all is good with the replacement, but my surgeon measured wrong and my "re done" leg is almost 1 inch longer than my other...I havent been "right" since...
I was able, however, to stay active with doing catalog shows and using the "sympathy" method...
good luck

You might have been the perfect candidate for a resurfacing as you were so young when you had your surgery. The big difference (in my understanding of the procedure) is that they are not putting in any new parts, they are cleaning up (“resurfacing”) the old ones. They go in and clean up spots (you know, stuff sticking out) that make the joint work poorly and then put you back together again. No replacement parts (which generally have to be re-replaced after a few years – that’s why this is good for younger folks). My friend is 56 and my brother-in-law is 53.

My husband is 35 and he is going in for a new type of hip replacement in november. Where they go in and shave it from a square to the circle form it is suppose to be and put a metal round cap on the joint and then a round piece in the socket so he will have better motion. I am kinda scared about our finances while he is off. He will be off for 3 months.

Kreaser and all others:Resurfacing has only been approved in the U.S. since 2006. Many people in the U.S. still go over seas to places like Belgium, etc to have the procedure done. Nobody except for the surgeon can say for sure until they consult with you and see x-rays of your hip and bone structure whether you would be a good candidate or not but generally speaking like you were when you had your Total Hip Replacement done it would have given you quite a few years on a resurfaced hip before having to go the hip replacement route. What Christina described is a hip resurfacing procedure. The advantage is that it gives you better mobility and usually you can return to the activities that you enjoyed before getting arthritis. They use your existing bone structure and ream the femur and put a metal cap and also line the socket so it is metal as well. With arthritis the reason you hurt is because you are bone on bone. The difference is that they use your existing bone structure and they are not cutting off your femur like they do in the total hip replacement. The procedure is very expensive and you definitely want to have good insurance in place if you do this in the U.S. My procedure will cost around $65,000 in Belgium however which is why there are a lot of people who go over seas and also because the doctors have been doing the procedure since 1997. The cost overseas is around $13,000. Recovery time is around 3-6 weeks until you can walk total weight bearing but you still don't want to over do it. My boyfriend loves to hike and I've been told that it will be a while before I can do that. I've decided that after the surgery I'll have to give up running and just do biking, swimming and low impact sports not because my doctor said but because I want it to last as long as possible but I'm okay with that if it means that I can walk pain free. To date the longest a resurfaced hip has lasted is about 12 years. Everyone I've talked to is so encouraging about this surgery except for a few friends who are negative about everything.If you would like more information go to Surface Hippy a Patient to Patient Guide To Hip Resurfacing and then click on discussion groups. There is a wealth of information on this web site. I wish you had known about this before you had your hip replacement done.jj16

Last edited:

What is hip resurfacing surgery?

Hip resurfacing surgery is a type of joint replacement surgery that involves removing the damaged surface of the hip joint and replacing it with a metal implant. Unlike traditional hip replacement surgery, which involves replacing the entire femoral head, hip resurfacing only replaces the damaged portion, leaving more of the healthy bone intact.

Who is a good candidate for hip resurfacing surgery?

Good candidates for hip resurfacing surgery are typically younger, active patients with hip pain and stiffness due to conditions such as osteoarthritis or hip dysplasia. They should also have good bone quality and a healthy immune system to ensure proper healing after surgery.

What are the benefits of hip resurfacing surgery compared to traditional hip replacement?

Hip resurfacing surgery offers several benefits over traditional hip replacement, including a shorter recovery time, less risk of dislocation, and the ability to return to high-impact activities such as running and sports. It also preserves more of the natural bone, making future revisions or replacements easier if needed.

How long does it take to recover from hip resurfacing surgery?

The recovery time for hip resurfacing surgery varies depending on the individual, but most patients are able to walk with the assistance of a walker or crutches within a few days. Physical therapy and rehabilitation are typically recommended to help improve strength and range of motion in the hip joint. It can take several months to fully recover and return to all activities.

Are there any potential risks or complications associated with hip resurfacing surgery?

As with any surgery, there are potential risks and complications associated with hip resurfacing surgery. These may include infection, blood clots, nerve damage, and implant failure. It is important to discuss these risks with your doctor and follow all pre- and post-operative instructions to minimize these risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
AJPratt
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • carlajanes
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked