• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I increase sales while still booking parties?

In summary, the author is experiencing difficulty getting bookings and believes that it may be due to the level of sales compared to the number of bookings. The author also suggests that hosting coaching may help increase sales.
cheflorraine
Gold Member
I'm a little frustrated with the level of sales I've had at my last shows, but they've all had more bookings than I would have expected (for example, at the show I've closed already, there were 6 guests, 3 bookings, but only $330 in sales).
Part of the reason I found was that the guests that wanted to book a party preferred to just make small orders and get the free and discounted stuff at their own party. Even the 20% off stoneware special this month didn't help that much.

When I first started PC, I was desperate for bookings, but at the time, not really getting any, BUT my sales were awesome in comparison ($700-800 shows). Now I'm really busy and not really pushing bookings that much, and they're just happening because I'm wanting to help people get the free product that they want but can't really afford.

Any thoughts on this?? Do you find that bookings compete with sales to some degree?? Or am I doing something wrong here...

Bookings keep our businesses thriving. Sales will always follow. I always focus on generating bookings and recruit leads and not so much on sales.

Since starting to really Host Coach, my sales have increased drastically. I went from $543.70 average up to $914.81 average (that's the average of my last 9 shows that have closed). I have 3 open ones right now. The host who refused to do things my way and went her own path is currently at $332.12. The other two are currently in the $600 & $700 levels. All 3 hosts are still taking orders & scheduled to close on Friday (payday here on the military base is Thursday). I have 2 more shows this weekend that already have 1-2 outside orders so I'm currently looking at $1,824.00 in October sales that will be submitted in the 1st week and I've not even done 2 of the shows yet.Obviously, I've never seen one of your shows, so I have no idea if it's technique or if you are just on a streak of getting groups who are in a financial position that does not allow them to spend money. The things that I've found that help me and might help you are: 1) to schedule the shows near the payday for the group (we have 2 groups here, the military crowd & the school crowd - so it's VERY easy to work with their paydays). 2) to do the interactive show!!! It makes a HUGE difference!!! My sit down & watch demos never compared to the interactive ones on show sales. 3) HOST COACH! I'm currently telling my hosts that having a $1,000 show IS possible!!! 3 of my last 9 hosts have done $1,200 & $1,300!! I tell them to look at the different levels & decide what they would like to earn. On average, most people spend around $60. Some will spend $30, others $90, but it pretty much averages out to $60 per person. Then I tell them to choose the level that they would like to earn and divide the show sales by 60. That gives them a ballpark figure of how many orders they will need to collect to achieve their goal! 4) I market my web page to the hosts, encouraging them to USE it! Sending invitations to friends/family who they know can't attend, but might still purchase! 5) I tell the hosts to follow up & try to collect orders from people who can't attend. 6) I have the hosts CALL every guest who RSVP'd two days before the show. I tell them that it's okay to call when they know the person is not home & leave a message "Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to seeing you at my Pampered Chef party on Saturday night ..." That some people tend to forget that they RSVP'd for something last week or 2 weeks ago & that the reminder call seems to help have higher attendance. 7) One of the PC host coaching tapes that I listened to recently had a GREAT line to give hosts. Regardless of the topic, the # of RSVP's, the number of outside orders, etc. Always tell them "That's a GREAT start!" :D It leaves the doorway open that you are happy with their accomplishment, but leaves them feeling that it's a start, not that you are happy & they can quit now. ;)There's probably more, but my 7 month old just woke from is nap & I need to go get him. I hope that helps!!!! :D

Sheila said:
Since starting to really Host Coach, my sales have increased drastically. I went from $543.70 average up to $914.81 average (that's the average of my last 9 shows that have closed). I have 3 open ones right now. The host who refused to do things my way and went her own path is currently at $332.12. The other two are currently in the $600 & $700 levels. All 3 hosts are still taking orders & scheduled to close on Friday (payday here on the military base is Thursday). I have 2 more shows this weekend that already have 1-2 outside orders so I'm currently looking at $1,824.00 in October sales that will be submitted in the 1st week and I've not even done 2 of the shows yet.

Obviously, I've never seen one of your shows, so I have no idea if it's technique or if you are just on a streak of getting groups who are in a financial position that does not allow them to spend money. The things that I've found that help me and might help you are: 1) to schedule the shows near the payday for the group (we have 2 groups here, the military crowd & the school crowd - so it's VERY easy to work with their paydays). 2) to do the interactive show!!! It makes a HUGE difference!!! My sit down & watch demos never compared to the interactive ones on show sales. 3) HOST COACH! I'm currently telling my hosts that having a $1,000 show IS possible!!! 3 of my last 9 hosts have done $1,200 & $1,300!! I tell them to look at the different levels & decide what they would like to earn. On average, most people spend around $60. Some will spend $30, others $90, but it pretty much averages out to $60 per person. Then I tell them to choose the level that they would like to earn and divide the show sales by 60. That gives them a ballpark figure of how many orders they will need to collect to achieve their goal! 4) I market my web page to the hosts, encouraging them to USE it! Sending invitations to friends/family who they know can't attend, but might still purchase! 5) I tell the hosts to follow up & try to collect orders from people who can't attend. 6) I have the hosts CALL every guest who RSVP'd two days before the show. I tell them that it's okay to call when they know the person is not home & leave a message "Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to seeing you at my Pampered Chef party on Saturday night ..." That some people tend to forget that they RSVP'd for something last week or 2 weeks ago & that the reminder call seems to help have higher attendance. 7) One of the PC host coaching tapes that I listened to recently had a GREAT line to give hosts. Regardless of the topic, the # of RSVP's, the number of outside orders, etc. Always tell them "That's a GREAT start!" :D It leaves the doorway open that you are happy with their accomplishment, but leaves them feeling that it's a start, not that you are happy & they can quit now. ;)

There's probably more, but my 7 month old just woke from is nap & I need to go get him. I hope that helps!!!! :D

Respectfully, while this is great advice, I saw a couple discrepancies between your experience, and most others. Your situation is unique, in that everyone who comes to your shows is getting a paycheck...in a military installation, you aren't dealing with the unemployment factor like many of the rest of us are. I would also dare guess that their world is smaller, and so going to home shows is a great source of entertainment and activity for them.

I am a very positive person, but facts are facts...and the facts of my situation are this:

First. I live in a state with over 15% unemployment...and some who are employed are taking pay-cuts or under-employed just to stay employed...or are wondering when the axe is going to fall on their own job. I host coach pretty much the same way that you do - only I coach my hosts to invite ALL of their friends & family...even the ones who can't buy...just for the night out and the fun and cooking tips. I always have people at my shows who can't buy...or who can only spend $10...but they will often book.

Related to that - I only wish my sales avg. was around $60 per customer. Mine is very good for this area, about the highest in my cluster...and that's $40. Usually, if the purchase is above $40, it's because they've bought a DCB! Right now, to do more than that would almost be like getting blood from turnips. :) I've been doing this for 7 years, and I see now, more then ever, so many who leave without buying or people who combine orders because they are only purchasing a $10 item.

So for me, my bookings are up, but yes, my sales are down a bit. I feel fortunate that I still have bookings and sales. I can't imagine some of the struggles they are having on the other side of the state, where unemployment has reached 25%!

Selling $350 with only 6 guests is actually great! That is unless that included a lot of outside orders! That's an average of $50 per guest! Who cares what kind of order the guests who book place? These days people cannot afford all the things they want so they are hosting shows to get it at a discount.

Becky, many of the spouses who are here left behind very high paying careers to follow their military member around the world. Once here, the jobs are scarce. We are forced to work on base unless we speak fluent Japanese & are willing to file a Japanese Income Tax Return too. The military is required to help support the Japanese Economy, so a very large portion of the base jobs go to the Japanese locals which leave very little opportunities for the spouses. I know SEVERAL spouses who were making MORE than the military member when they were in the states, so their current monthly income is less than half what it used to be. But you are right in the fact that at least ONE person in every military home has a job with job security. And I have no doubt that it does make a difference. ;)

I'm with Caressa. Without bookings you wouldn't have ANY sales. My ideal show is $900 with 3 on the calendar bookings and 1 recruit. Has this happened? No. The people spending $200 on an order don't feel the need to book. The person spending $20 does. I know it's tough when your show average isn't where you would like it, but it sounds like you're doing great with bookings. Becca

Often when the sales are high (i.e. there are more than 15 guests), there are fewer bookings. I don't know if it's because people don't think they can't recreate such a great turn-out or they feel like someone else (because there are so many people in attendance) will step-up and host a party to help the hostess.

At this point, I’m geared toward getting the best sales I can. Still, I do the 3 question (actually 4) checkout so everyone is asked if they’d like to have a party and I do the booking slide so they can learn about the Host benefits. When I have a $1000 show, I’m happy if there is one booking but not surprised if there are none. With smaller shows (under $900), I’m usually seeing 2-3 bookings.

I agree that host coaching makes a huge difference in sales. Make sure there are alot of people at the show from different walks of life. Push for outside orders to increase sales and it will come in cycles. My show totals are a bit down because of the economy but I also think I have slacked off on the host coaching. More people = more sales and bookings. I agree that $350 for six guests is pretty good.

I have to agree w/ Jeanine in that in my limited experience if it is a good sales party, then the bookings are down. I've had 3 shows over 1000 and 2 of them had no bookings. I had a great show last night where i left it at 845, but she has 3 outside orders and 3 who werent there who want to place an order0 so i'm thinking it will be at least 1000 when all is said and done. BUT not booking and I asked everyone and did the whole booking thing. I am hoping to get a booking w/ the MAC calls.
but i really did want at least 2 bookings from the party!

joschef said:
I have to agree w/ Jeanine in that in my limited experience if it is a good sales party, then the bookings are down. I've had 3 shows over 1000 and 2 of them had no bookings. I had a great show last night where i left it at 845, but she has 3 outside orders and 3 who werent there who want to place an order0 so i'm thinking it will be at least 1000 when all is said and done. BUT not booking and I asked everyone and did the whole booking thing. I am hoping to get a booking w/ the MAC calls.
but i really did want at least 2 bookings from the party!

I seem to get bookings, even with large parties...but I do some things to try counteract the "large parties fears".

First, I address it from the start of the party! I say something like "wow! What a turnout! If you are sitting here thinking that you'd thought about having a party (if they haven't thought about it, I just put it in their mind...;)) but there is no way that you could fit this many in your kitchen...then I have to let you know that most of my parties have 8-10...and I do parties in lots of rooms- not just in kitchens! I even do parties in Apt. Complex community rooms, and garages, and basements....outside on decks or porches...."

Then I also talk about catalog shows quite a bit. Funny though, I don't do a lot of catalog shows...because I usually turn them into cooking shows. I do this when they say that they might like a catalog show...I ask them what they are hoping to get for free and half off, and then I let them know that my avg. catalog show is $300, and my avg. Cooking show is $600, and if they do a cooking show, I do most of the work for them...quite often, they will take a look at the calendar and pick a date.

I had a show in July w/ 20 people there, $920 in sales, and 6 bookings. It was 8 bookings at the show, but I had 2 who fizzled and I never heard back from.

ChefBeckyD said:
I seem to get bookings, even with large parties...but I do some things to try counteract the "large parties fears".

First, I address it from the start of the party! I say something like "wow! What a turnout! If you are sitting here thinking that you'd thought about having a party (if they haven't thought about it, I just put it in their mind...;)) but there is no way that you could fit this many in your kitchen...then I have to let you know that most of my parties have 8-10...and I do parties in lots of rooms- not just in kitchens! I even do parties in Apt. Complex community rooms, and garages, and basements....outside on decks or porches...."

Then I also talk about catalog shows quite a bit. Funny though, I don't do a lot of catalog shows...because I usually turn them into cooking shows. I do this when they say that they might like a catalog show...I ask them what they are hoping to get for free and half off, and then I let them know that my avg. catalog show is $300, and my avg. Cooking show is $600, and if they do a cooking show, I do most of the work for them...quite often, they will take a look at the calendar and pick a date.

I had a show in July w/ 20 people there, $920 in sales, and 6 bookings. It was 8 bookings at the show, but I had 2 who fizzled and I never heard back from.

AWESOME idea about addressing guest attendance at the show! This is what I have been "missing" in my shows (to say). Thanks!

I have had 3 shows this week and of those three I have had mixed sales, one I had $150, one is sitting at $350 and will be closing Friday... waiting on orders, and the last is at $500 and waiting for orders will close this coming Wednesday. I have consistently booked 2 or more shows from every show I have done.

So you will not be able to predict the sales of a show but you can definitely do certain things to ensure you keep you calendar full and business rolling in.

Last night I had a repeat host. Her first show in Jan. 08, with 18 guests & 2 outside orders were 1224.00. Last night with 6 guests, 5 outside orders her show right now is 1144.00....GO FIGURE!!! Also both shows I got 2 bookings, but last nights might also have someone interested in the business....:D

Ginger428 said:
Last night I had a repeat host. Her first show in Jan. 08, with 18 guests & 2 outside orders were 1224.00. Last night with 6 guests, 5 outside orders her show right now is 1144.00....GO FIGURE!!! Also both shows I got 2 bookings, but last nights might also have someone interested in the business....:D

That's incredible... she must have friends that just LOVE PC.
Is there a trick in host coaching for getting someone to have 18 guests at a show??

cheflorraine said:
That's incredible... she must have friends that just LOVE PC.
Is there a trick in host coaching for getting someone to have 18 guests at a show??

Shes a nurse & has worked in the same hospital for years, she just passed the catalog around & she has her shows on Wed nights, so I think alot of them came right after their shift was up, we even had 1 or 2 doctors, the 1 that booked, I DID not even coach her because she was always on call...she had 16 guests & her sales were 1350.00....:D

What is the difference between high sales and lots of bookings?

High sales refer to the amount of revenue generated from actual purchases made by customers, while lots of bookings refer to the number of events or parties booked by a consultant. In other words, high sales are a measure of actual purchases, while lots of bookings are a measure of future potential sales.

Which one is more important for a Pampered Chef consultant, high sales or lots of bookings?

Both high sales and lots of bookings are important for a Pampered Chef consultant. High sales indicate that the consultant is successfully selling products to customers, while lots of bookings indicate a strong pipeline for future sales. A balance of both is ideal for a successful business.

How can a consultant increase their high sales?

To increase high sales, a consultant can focus on building relationships with customers and providing excellent customer service. They can also offer promotions and discounts, host cooking demonstrations, and attend events to showcase their products. Additionally, consistently following up with customers and offering personalized recommendations can also lead to higher sales.

How can a consultant increase their bookings?

To increase bookings, a consultant can actively reach out to potential hosts and offer incentives for hosting a party. They can also utilize social media and their personal network to spread the word about their business. Providing a fun and engaging party experience for guests can also encourage future bookings.

Is it better to have high sales or lots of bookings?

Both high sales and lots of bookings are important for a successful Pampered Chef business. It's important to have a balance of both, as high sales indicate current success and lots of bookings indicate future potential. It's important for a consultant to focus on both aspects in order to maintain a thriving and sustainable business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
babywings76
  • CAPCnewbie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
JaimeAnnR
  • ShelbyMichalek
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies