• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hi, My Name Is Kacey and I'm Addicted to "!'S"

sometimes in person, other times by mail, and other times by email.Step 10 - Continued to take personal inventory everyday and tried to make amends to those we had harmed in the past, as well as those we may still harm in the future.Step 11 - Helped others overcome their addiction to punctuation.Step 12 - Finally achieved peace and serenity knowing we are no longer addicts to punctuation and can live a normal, punctuation-free life.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Anyone else out there need a 12 step program to stop using ! points at the end of EVERY sentence?

I just realized today while taking a grammar test at the Temp Agency that not ONE of the sentences they had me read ended with an exclamation point.

Is it just because I'm so happy and perky and bubbly, that I feel everything needs to be !!!!! ?

I figured it's a sickness and admitting it is my first step. I think I need help...

I'm addicted to them too but I can't get over that addiction until I get over my addiction to ellipses and the interrobang.

Me too!!!!!!

janetupnorth said:
I'm addicted to them too but I can't get over that addiction until I get over my addiction to ellipses and the interrobang.

Oh my- it's worse than I thought! I'm addicted to the ellipses and the interrobang, too!

I drove an ellipses once. Oh, wait- that was an Eclipse. oops!!!

Well, at least I'm not addicted to booze!:p

I worked for a law firm when I was about 21 years old. I had to write several office memos and thought that if I inserted smiley faces in them, people would be more willing to follow what was requested in the memo. (keep in mind I had just quit teaching kindergarten)

Anyway the main partner called me into his office and told me that even when I wasn't talking my happy personality was too loud, and not everything in the universe was worth smiling about and could I stop using those blasted smiley faces in my memos.

So the next memo that came out had frowny faces on it! :)

It wasn't long before I quit. That firm had too many grumpy people working there!!!!

Too funny! When I was 21, I was supervising maintenance 3rd shift at Chrysler Kenosha Engine Plant...there were some great comics there, and some real grumps too! I was the only woman on the whole shift so it was interesting.I think if I used a smiley face on a work request though I'd be buried alive in the chip chains!

Me 5, I'm bad with !!!!!! after all my sentences!!! Reminds me of that one Seinfeld epi with Elain and her !!! at work! lol

Count me in for the recovery meetings!!!!

heat123 said:
Me 5, I'm bad with !!!!!! after all my sentences!!! Reminds me of that one Seinfeld epi with Elain and her !!! at work! lol
I don't think I've seen that episode...

A boss or a writing instructor (honestly cannot remember which) once told me "Exclamation points are for teenage girls writing to their boyfriends."I've kept them out of my "professional" writing ever since!

Di_Can_Cook said:
A boss or a writing instructor (honestly cannot remember which) once told me "Exclamation points are for teenage girls writing to their boyfriends."

I've kept them out of my "professional" writing ever since!

Well, Hello boyfriends of Chef Success! :) LOL
I keep them out of anything professional now... but I love to use them in chat rooms and personal emails. Half the time I don't even realize I'm typing them. See- they have such a hold on me.

The 12 Steps of Punctuation Addiction:Step 1 - Admit you are powerless over your addiction to punctuation marks. You live cannot be managed without the constant use of exclamation points and other punctuation!!!!!Step 2 - A Power (or lack of electricity) can restore us to sanity or keep us from typing punctuation.Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our use of punctuation over to proper grammatical training.Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves to figure out why we must be so emotional or expressive and constantly use punctuation rather than words or actually talk in person!Step 5 - Admit to everyone on Chef Success we are addicted to punctuation.Step 6 - Were entirely ready to have someone remove the punctuation keys from our keyboard so we cannot type them or put code into Chef Success to turn all punctuation typed into Mr. Yuk symbols.Step 7 - Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings in grammatical structure and give us restraint to not hit that same key more than once!Step 8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed or in this case thoroughly annoyed in our constant use of symbols in an incorrect gramatical way, and became willing to make amends to them all by typing proper sentences 500 times.Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others (so in this case, post your 500 sentences but don't spam them to every user's e-mail account).Step 10 - Continue to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admit it.Step 11 - Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understand God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out and direct our thoughts and minds and focus on using what our nice teachers in elementary school taught us.Step 12 - Try to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs and memos and e-mail and not just in posts on Chef Success.

janetupnorth said:
The 12 Steps of Punctuation Addiction:

Step 1 - Admit you are powerless over your addiction to punctuation marks. You live cannot be managed without the constant use of exclamation points and other punctuation!!!!!

Step 2 - A Power (or lack of electricity) can restore us to sanity or keep us from typing punctuation.

Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our use of punctuation over to proper grammatical training.

Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves to figure out why we must be so emotional or expressive and constantly use punctuation rather than words or actually talk in person!

Step 5 - Admit to everyone on Chef Success we are addicted to punctuation.

Step 6 - Were entirely ready to have someone remove the punctuation keys from our keyboard so we cannot type them or put code into Chef Success to turn all punctuation typed into Mr. Yuk symbols.

Step 7 - Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings in grammatical structure and give us restraint to not hit that same key more than once!

Step 8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed or in this case thoroughly annoyed in our constant use of symbols in an incorrect gramatical way, and became willing to make amends to them all by typing proper sentences 500 times.

Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others (so in this case, post your 500 sentences but don't spam them to every user's e-mail account).

Step 10 - Continue to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admit it.

Step 11 - Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understand God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out and direct our thoughts and minds and focus on using what our nice teachers in elementary school taught us.

Step 12 - Try to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs and memos and e-mail and not just in posts on Chef Success.

Umm, I know that even though the IQ test I took this afternoon said I had an IQ of 169- but do you know that there are tons of errors in what you just typed, or is that the whole point? I'm so slow!

I could never make it past step 7!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
Umm, I know that even though the IQ test I took this afternoon said I had an IQ of 169- but do you know that there are tons of errors in what you just typed, or is that the whole point? I'm so slow!
That was part of the point. ;)You have to make it through the steps to correct your punctuation and grammar...I'm long from there! I've degraded since high school.Good job on the test!!!!P.S. Yes, I purposely did not change all the tenses...

janetupnorth said:
That was part of the point. ;)

You have to make it through the steps to correct your punctuation and grammar...I'm long from there! I've degraded since high school.

Good job on the test!!!!

P.S. Yes, I purposely did not change all the tenses...
Whew, I was starting to wonder if that IQ test wasn't a quality one! :) LOL

Kitchen Diva said:
Whew, I was starting to wonder if that IQ test wasn't a quality one! :) LOL

It might not be...I think I got a 169 on the last IQ test I took...hmm...will have to check. :rolleyes:

hi Kacey
It is nice to meet someone with the same name and spelling!! You are the first person ever that I have seen with my name!! yeah!!
Kacey

Kitchen Diva said:
Is it just because I'm so happy and perky and bubbly, that I feel everything needs to be !!!!! ?

Maybe you're just loud :D

chefkacey said:
hi Kacey
It is nice to meet someone with the same name and spelling!! You are the first person ever that I have seen with my name!! yeah!!
Kacey

When I saw your name I was like- Hey... who changed my name from Kitchen Diva! LOL I'm so daft sometimes.

KACEY is actually my nickname. My first name is Kristine. My last name is a LONG Italian name that starts with a C. I have two middle names- Anne and Catherine...so if you mix up all those names- just take the first letter from each, and add a Y (or just take my first and last initials) You have KACEY! :)

Are you lost yet? :) It is nice to meet you too! I wanted to be chefkacey for my personal website, but someone else stole it.

Kitchen Diva said:
I wanted to be chefkacey for my personal website, but someone else stole it.

Maybe she stole it! LOL!

dianevill said:
Maybe she stole it! LOL!

Them is fightin' words! Kidding. I've always wanted to be a diva- so I just used that instead. Mostly because everyone said if I went with Cuisine Queen no-one would know how to spell Cuisine. To which I replied "Then they should not be allowed to eat!"

I need to join the club as i love using them online too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! My name is Ellen and I am also addicted to "!!!!!" !

I have to re-write my emails often after I read them because I realize there are just too many sentences ending in "!".

I can't help it if I am an excited person! LOL!

Christ Follower said:
Hi! My name is Ellen and I am also addicted to "!!!!!" !

I have to re-write my emails often after I read them because I realize there are just too many sentences ending in "!".

I can't help it if I am an excited person! LOL!

Oh...I have the same problem. It just looks wrong to me to see my writing without an exclamation point.

Kitchen Diva said:
I wanted to be chefkacey for my personal website, but someone else stole it.
The policies on PWS names are that they can't contain "chef" anyway. If someone has one with "chef," then they got it before the rules were changed a couple of years ago.

Maybe the reason you aren't having any luck w/ the job search is because you are too positive of a person!
All the jobs I ever held it seemed like you had to have a bad attitude to get anywhere...
Start being a B and a meanie and you will prob have them knocking down your door!
And I use alot of "!" and ..... in my life too....!!!!!!......

Kitchen Diva said:
Anyone else out there need a 12 step program to stop using ! points at the end of EVERY sentence?

I just realized today while taking a grammar test at the Temp Agency that not ONE of the sentences they had me read ended with an exclamation point.

I figured it's a sickness and admitting it is my first step. I think I need help...

OMG! I am the exact same way!!! Periods just don't seem to cut it any more for me! (I also have to admit that I'm addicted to... (the three periods in a row...use them ALL the time, and most are probably at times where it shouldn't be used). Can't help it! And I've had extensive training in punctuation and grammar!!

urbnk8 said:
OMG! I am the exact same way!!! Periods just don't seem to cut it any more for me! (I also have to admit that I'm addicted to... (the three periods in a row...use them ALL the time, and most are probably at times where it shouldn't be used). Can't help it! And I've had extensive training in punctuation and grammar!!

Those are called ellipses. :) Glad to know that someone with grammatical smarts loves !!! and !?!?! and ...'s as much as I do! :)

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am addicted to !!! too!

after this meeting, I have to attend my next 12 step program where I start off by saying:

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am addicted to ...... and yes, I know that sometimes I put more than three...and sometimes they are inserted where they don't "gramatically" belong!

So.....there!!!!!!!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
Those are called ellipses. :) Glad to know that someone with grammatical smarts loves !!! and !?!?! and ...'s as much as I do! :)

Thanks! I knew there was a name but could not think of it!:blushing:

urbnk8 said:
Thanks! I knew there was a name but could not think of it!:blushing:

...just go back to my first post on this thread...I'm addicted to...

Exclamation Points!!!!
Ellipses...
and
Interrobangs?!?!?!

Can you believe that?!?!?!!!!!...

My sister used to get in trouble at school for dotting her "I"s with circles.

What's so wrong with a bit of pep? I smile when I read her letters.

:)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi...my name is Meg...and I have an addiction...to ellipses...I don't like to end sentences...where teachers probably think I should...it is as if I am typing like I talk...need help...

chefann said:
The policies on PWS names are that they can't contain "chef" anyway. If someone has one with "chef," then they got it before the rules were changed a couple of years ago.

AND....apparently if your name happens to be Erin that cannot be followed by your (inyou)! LOL!!!!

chefmeg said:
Hi...my name is Meg...and I have an addiction...to ellipses...I don't like to end sentences...where teachers probably think I should...it is as if I am typing like I talk...need help...

That should say Erin not Meg!

LOL!!

chefmeg said:
That's exactly how I feel...like the "..." is just a pause in my speaking, or a pause to think!

You guys crack me up. And Erin, I still feel your pain over that silly rule about your name spelling words you aren't allowed to have withinin the name of your PWS. :)

Last edited:
I've been chuckling and shaking my head since I began reading this thread. (And, let me tell you . . . it makes it very difficult to read!!)I love!!! exclamation points!If you've ever met me, you know that I live my life in superlatives! When someone asks how I am, I'm never fine. I'm excellent! I'm fantastic! I'm fabulous!Part of my professional life involves written communication. When I must, I am able to control my superlatives. However, when chatting with my Chef Success buddies, I feel free to let them run amok! When I write emails outside of a professional setting, I usually go through and replace several exclamation points with periods while I'm proofreading. I don't want my customers and friends to think I'm yelling at them. (As I mentioned before, when I'm writing in a professional setting, I'm able to control my impulses.)Then again, most of them know me well enough to know that I'm just a bubbly, excitable, over-the-top type of gal!

raebates said:
I've been chuckling and shaking my head since I began reading this thread. (And, let me tell you . . . it makes it very difficult to read!!)

I love!!! exclamation points!

If you've ever met me, you know that I live my life in superlatives! When someone asks how I am, I'm never fine. I'm excellent! I'm fantastic! I'm fabulous!

Part of my professional life involves written communication. When I must, I am able to control my superlatives. However, when chatting with my Chef Success buddies, I feel free to let them run amok!

When I write emails outside of a professional setting, I usually go through and replace several exclamation points with periods while I'm proofreading. I don't want my customers and friends to think I'm yelling at them. (As I mentioned before, when I'm writing in a professional setting, I'm able to control my impulses.)

Then again, most of them know me well enough to know that I'm just a bubbly, excitable, over-the-top type of gal!

Welcome to the club. :) Wow, that was hard to not put a "!" after that. Whew, so this is what it feels like to grow up a little...very strange.;)

I may have to grow older, but I refuse to grow up!!!!

well my name is actually kacey (it could have been lacey or macey according to my parents). When my DH and I were thinking of a name for my pws we thought no one would know how to spell my name (since half the time everyone gets it wrong) so i used kc instead. I am fairly new to this site but I love it! Everyone is so nice and funny!!!
PS I love !!! myself

Kitchen Diva said:
You guys crack me up. And Erin, I still feel your pain over that silly rule about your name spelling words you aren't allowed to have withinin the name of your PWS. :)
On that.....I have been just squeezing a s in when I can. I finally figured out that I could print 3 lines of writing on a label and then cut them to cover my old address on my business cards. I had 300+ and could not stomach the idea of buying new ones. I will be changing my cell number next spring when my contract is up so I will buy new ones then.....

I do need a new stamp though........

Related to Hi, My Name Is Kacey and I'm Addicted to "!'S"

1. Why do I feel the need to use exclamation points at the end of every sentence?

Using excessive exclamation points may be a habit or a way to express enthusiasm and excitement. It could also be a sign of wanting to be noticed or seeking attention.

2. Is it considered bad grammar to use multiple exclamation points?

Yes, it is generally considered poor grammar to use multiple exclamation points. It can make your writing appear unprofessional and can be distracting to readers.

3. How can I break the habit of using excessive exclamation points?

One way to break the habit is to proofread your writing and consciously remove unnecessary exclamation points. You can also try rephrasing sentences to convey enthusiasm without using exclamation points.

4. Is using exclamation points a sign of a larger issue?

Using excessive exclamation points may be a sign of underlying anxiety or insecurity. It can also be a sign of needing validation or seeking attention. It may be helpful to explore these underlying issues with a therapist or counselor.

5. Can Pampered Chef products help me break my exclamation point addiction?

While Pampered Chef products cannot directly help with breaking an exclamation point addiction, they can provide a distraction and help you focus on other things. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and being aware of your writing habits can be beneficial in breaking the habit of using excessive exclamation points.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebPC
  • jenniferknapp
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies