• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Here Is a New One About Cookware

In summary, someone commented that the nonstick coating on stainless cookware is made of tear gas from WWII. People got upset because they think all chemicals are bad. Stainless cookware is actually great, but people might not be able to tell because of the tear gas coating.
Jennie4PC
I was at a show last night and I started talking about our cookware. They are basically all past hosts of mine but I was asking one of them how she was liking her SS set that she got and she said she was liking it. Well my hostess said she didnt like the SS because of high maintance then my past host said that the non stick coating is made of tear gas from WW II since they didnt know what else to do with it.

What??!?!?!!? :eek:

that was my reaction. I really dont think anyone really paid to much attention to that comment

OMG, that is so funny! How did you react?

OMG I think I would have turned bright red. I never heard of such a thing!

That's how gullible some are......sad thing is they believe the bad stuff and ignore the good stuff...

I was just like OK onto the next item of business.

Basically our whole world is chemicals - everything is a "chemical" of some sort. Water is a chemical.People think that chemicals only as the "bad stuff".Also, if anything is used in anything bad...and also good, the "chemical" gets the bad stigma...Perfect example:http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/ban-dihydrogen-monoxide-29520/

Here is a good one for you...tell her only when you cook chili peppers in your cookware with corn oil. :)(Components of pepper spray)...he-he...

Okay not even going to comment on the tear gas thing! But I thought stainless cookware was a pain and not even something I wanted to deal with... Until I actually got some in my kitchen! I love our stainless cookware. If we have another POR I'll get one of the sets if DH doesn't threaten to throw all my cookware out for having too much!

I HATE my 12" SS skillet. I browned a roast in it before I tossed the roast in the crock pot. I got the skillet screaming hot to sear the meat. As expected it stuck. I wasn't worried though because the training video said to just add water to the hot pan and it would scrape clean. NOPE! I have a brown gummy mess in the bottom of my pan. Our SS cleaner is worthless as well. I thought surely it would take care of the problem, but not a chance!

I even tried it on our SS cooking sheet (med). I only used it to hold something else I was cooking (to catch spill over). Well after dishwashing it (as we are allowed to do) it came out with what looks like water marks. I thought that surely the cleaner could handle that, but NO!

Right now I am not too thrilled with the Stainless stuff!

The sheet pans aren't stainless steel, they're aluminized steel. I found this in the product information guide for them:
Technical / Safety / Cleaning Tips:
• Hot Sheet Pans can cause burns if handled improperly. Always use a heat-resistant oven mitt or pad
when handling hot Sheet Pans or placing on surfaces.
• When broiling high fat foods always use a broiler pan with rack (often provided with the oven)
instead of Sheet Pans. Broiler pan with rack is designed to drain juices and help avoid spatter and
smoke.
• Do not soak. Always thoroughly dry entire pan surface and wire rim immediately after washing
to prevent rust.
• If rust occurs, use Pampered Chef’s Stainless Cleaner or an aluminum polisher and cleanser which
can be purchased at most grocery stores. Rinse and dry completely.
• A nonabrasive sponge, cloth, or kitchen brush may be used on exterior and interior surfaces.
• Do not use abrasive cleansers, such as steel wool, cleansers with chlorine beach or oven cleaning
solutions as this may permanently damage the surface and void the guarantee.
• Aerosol non-stick sprays may create a sticky residue which is difficult to clean if not washed
promptly or overheated.
• Follow recipe temperature and baking time.
• Sheet Pans are safe in conventional oven, convection oven and broiler.
• Sheet Pans are freezer-safe.
• Metal utensils may be used directly on surface; however, scratching will occur.
• Extreme temperature change will cause warping. Always allow Sheet Pans to cool to room
temperature prior to adding liquid or cleaning.
• Do not use Sheet Pans on glass or ceramic cooktop, electric coil, gas burner range, induction
(magnetic) range or an outdoor grill.
• Not microwave-safe.It took some elbow grease, but I was able to get my SS pan clean after browning meats. You just need to work on it - it's not going to be like the non-stick at all, and I think so many of us are used to non-stick, we're going to have to "retrain" ourselves on these.Back to the original post - how crazy she said that about the tear gas!! ROFL!

I am not thrilled with the cooking sheets, either.

Use & care says to dry them immediately...I am thinking I will get lots of returns from pans sitting in a dishwasher and getting rusty.

Hello, if they are dishwasher safe, I am not going to dry them with a towel. That defeats the dishwasher option, right there.

Joke alert:

It is a dishwasher, not a dishdryer.:D

(I didn't say it would be a funny joke!)

My mom pointed out to me that a lady on tv said the ice cream scoop had anti freeze in it. That was a new one to me!:yuck: But using some sense, my mom proceeded to read the product info card and the liquid is non toxic. Some people will believe anything!:eek:

climbercanoe3 said:
Joke alert:

It is a dishwasher, not a dishdryer.:D

(I didn't say it would be a funny joke!)

Falling over, that killed me.

lissahope26 said:
My mom pointed out to me that a lady on tv said the ice cream scoop had anti freeze in it. That was a new one to me!:yuck: But using some sense, my mom proceeded to read the product info card and the liquid is non toxic. Some people will believe anything!:eek:

Yes, I've heard that one before too!

Chef Kearns said:
I HATE my 12" SS skillet. I browned a roast in it before I tossed the roast in the crock pot. I got the skillet screaming hot to sear the meat. As expected it stuck. I wasn't worried though because the training video said to just add water to the hot pan and it would scrape clean. NOPE! I have a brown gummy mess in the bottom of my pan. Our SS cleaner is worthless as well. I thought surely it would take care of the problem, but not a chance!

I even tried it on our SS cooking sheet (med). I only used it to hold something else I was cooking (to catch spill over). Well after dishwashing it (as we are allowed to do) it came out with what looks like water marks. I thought that surely the cleaner could handle that, but NO!

Right now I am not too thrilled with the Stainless stuff!
You really have to watch how high you turn your stove up to. You are not supposed to use High heat with good cookware like ours. The pan conducts heat well enough that even at medium high it's like using high.

Jennie4PC said:
I was at a show last night and I started talking about our cookware. They are basically all past hosts of mine but I was asking one of them how she was liking her SS set that she got and she said she was liking it. Well my hostess said she didnt like the SS because of high maintance then my past host said that the non stick coating is made of tear gas from WW II since they didnt know what else to do with it.

I choked on my coffee when I read this! LOL

wadesgirl said:
You really have to watch how high you turn your stove up to. You are not supposed to use High heat with good cookware like ours. The pan conducts heat well enough that even at medium high it's like using high.

It was at med high, but it was truly screaming hot. I never cook at that high of a temp. I let it heat up empty for quite a while. I put one drop of water in the pan and it evaporated almost immediately. I knew the pan was ready. The meat was only in there for a bit anyway. Just to sear the outside of the roast.

What is the best type of cookware for everyday use?

The best type of cookware for everyday use depends on personal preference and cooking habits. However, some popular options include stainless steel, non-stick, and cast iron cookware. Each type has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it's important to consider your needs before making a decision.

How do I know when it's time to replace my cookware?

There are a few signs that indicate it's time to replace your cookware. These include peeling or chipping of non-stick coating, warping or denting of the pots and pans, and corrosion or rusting on metal surfaces. Additionally, if your cookware is no longer performing as well as it used to, it may be time for an upgrade.

What are some important factors to consider when purchasing cookware?

When purchasing cookware, it's important to consider the material, heat conductivity, durability, and maintenance requirements. You should also think about the types of dishes you typically cook and choose cookware that will best suit your needs.

Is it necessary to use specific utensils with certain types of cookware?

While it's always best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines, most cookware can be used with a variety of utensils. However, it's important to avoid using metal utensils on non-stick cookware, as they can damage the coating. For stainless steel and cast iron cookware, it's generally safe to use any type of utensil.

How can I properly care for my cookware to ensure its longevity?

To ensure the longevity of your cookware, it's important to follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. Generally, this includes avoiding using metal utensils on non-stick cookware, hand-washing instead of using a dishwasher, and avoiding extreme temperature changes. It's also important to store your cookware properly to prevent scratching or damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chellb1234
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ivykeep
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • Cindycooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies