• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oh No! A Bad Day - Humidity, Water Leaks and Prayers Needed!

In summary, the conversation is about a woman's having a bad day. She noticed high humidity in her house, ran her air conditioning, and noticed water in the pipe coming out of the furnace. She contacted the company that installed her furnace and they are coming to take it apart and fix it. She also said she was having problems with water coming up through the ground and her husband is a furnace guy. She is going to get a whole new system and close all the vents in her house. She is allergic to mold and the musty smell is gross.
pampchefrhondab
Oh man, I'm having a bad day!

This winter I noticed the humity was very high in my house. We know we need a new furnace and had quotes to get one. I looked up on the internet about humidty being high when running a furnance and it did say it could be a faulty furnace. We ALWAYS use a carbon dectector which always reads zero. We were planning on getting the new furnace in two weeks - my husband will be off work and home while they do the install.

I ran my air last week (it got hot) and noticed a musty smell. I checked out at the furnace and noticed water in the pipe which comes out at the bottom. I didn't run the furnace or the air anymore until I could have my hubby look at it, take it apart, etc. or just wait for the new furnace guy.

Well today I was running the sweeper and noticed cob webs in one of the vents. I started sweeping it out and started sucking up WATER:cry:!! I have called several people - I finally have someone from the co. that installed our original furnace coming out in the next 3 hours!!

Please let me know if you have ever had this problem or if you know someone who has. If so, what did they do?

My BIL thinks it may be a pipe broken under the slab. I don't have a big water bill though.

Please say your prayers for me if you would that it doesn't cost us a ton of money:rolleyes:!

I don't have any experience with this enough to offer advice. What I do have is similar appliance trauma. Our compressor failed in November and we had our baby Dec 1 and did not notice we were running on auxillary (sp) heat until we got a $500 electric bill. By the time the issue was identified we were in another $500 in electric and hundreds more on the unit.All I can say is this, you will be surprised how well you can cope with even the bad things your imagination may be tempting you with. Whatever it is you will be much more graceful than you anticipate and it will probably be a lot better than your worst thoughts. Not having a high water bill is a huge step in ruling out a broken underground pipe :)I'm just sharing...I don't know if it helps....

I've prayed, Rhonda. I asked The Furry Guy. Does your furnace use LP or gas? Those both produce water. Our furnace is LP, and we have a drain for the water produced. He also asked if you have a humidifier on the furnace. Many do, and if that has burst, it would do that. He said if it were a burst pipe, you would probably have had more water, unless it's a really small leak.

Thanks Michelee and Rae.

It is a gas furnace - 20 years old. We do not have a humidifier built in.

I'm beginning to think it may be the foundation of the house. I only have water in the vents which are to the back of the house. The furnace is in the front of the house in the garage. The vent closest to the furnace doesn't have any water.

I sucked out 5 full shop vac tanks of water.

A guy from the furnace co. that installed it is on the way!

Rae, is your husband a furnace guy?

No advice, but lots of prayers your way! I'm hoping for some good news so your day can turn around!

pampchefrhondab said:
Rae, is your husband a furnace guy?

No, but The Furry Guy has many skills. LOL! He says that there's been enough rain in Indiana that the water table is really high. You may have water coming up through the ground, finding its way through cracks in the slab.

Well the furnace guy was here. The water is from the ground. It looks like it's been there a while though.

We are going to get a whole new system and go through the ceiling. We will be closing of the floor vents. We sit so much lower then the neighbors and we have water drain issues in my neighborhood - won't even go there after fighting for 20 years.

It will be expensive, but I don't want to keep dealing w/water in our heating system. I am allergic to mold and I can't stand the musty smell - very gross!!!

Now I will have to work, work, work my business to get more money to pay the loan!!

I'm sorry to hear of your unexpected and unwelcome expense! I'm glad you got answers quickly, though.

Glad to hear you're getting it taken care of. Sorry to hear it's going to be expensive.

Thanks everyone. Just got a quote today! I'm going to be so glad to have the system replaced and the od vents closed up, but I am boy how I am going to hate that monthly payment!!! I sure wish I could win the lottery (if I played)!!

We are going to get a top of the line system w/the built in filter and the ultra vilot light which kills mold spors. This should help me a lot w/my allergies! It's just as cheap to get the better system due to all the rebates we can get from the gas co., furnace co. and the governement!

We have a few more quotes to get, but we will probably go w/the co. that was here today. They have a really good BBB report and they have their own employees, not contractors. They also guarantee 100% satisfaction for the first year or they will remove the system and refund all your money.

Oh the joys of home ownership! We had a brand new house when we got ours. That 20 years sure has gone fast! Now everything is needed repair ro replacement!

What are the most common causes of humidity in a home?

The most common causes of humidity in a home are poor ventilation, leaking pipes, and excess moisture from cooking, showering, or doing laundry. High outdoor humidity levels can also contribute to indoor humidity.

What are some signs of water leaks in a home?

Some signs of water leaks in a home include musty odors, water stains on walls or ceilings, warped or discolored flooring, and an increase in your water bill. You may also notice mold or mildew growth in areas with excess moisture.

How can I reduce humidity in my home?

To reduce humidity in your home, make sure to use exhaust fans when cooking or showering, fix any leaks or plumbing issues, and use a dehumidifier if needed. It's also important to maintain proper ventilation throughout your home.

What should I do if I discover a water leak in my home?

If you discover a water leak in your home, it's important to act quickly. Shut off the main water supply if possible, and then call a plumber to fix the issue. Depending on the severity of the leak, you may also need to contact a professional water damage restoration company.

How can I protect my home from humidity and water leaks?

To protect your home from humidity and water leaks, regularly inspect and maintain your plumbing and ventilation systems. Be mindful of excess moisture in your home and take steps to reduce it, such as using a dehumidifier. It's also a good idea to have a professional inspection of your home's plumbing and roof every few years.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• candiejayne
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PChefPEI
Replies
Views
Gina M
  • Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies