• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Needed: Cutting Down Show Time!

In summary, Kearstin Prep works by doing prep work before starting the demo. She recommends starting the demo 10-15 minutes later than the scheduled start time and that talking for 45 minutes is too long.
kearstin
I really need some help figuring out how to cut down on my show time because I take WAY too long!

I do two recipes, but always have one completely, or all but, finished before guests arrive.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that takes me so long, but does anyone have any suggestions for saving time??

TIA,
Kearstin

Prep work! I used to not do any prep work before starting a show, and found that there was a lot of time I wasted doing the same action over and over. Yes, you may have to rinse your tools and such before your demo starts, but that's a small price to pay for having most of everything chopped/sliced/put in pan beforehand!

Kearstin~

How long is "too long?" IOW, what's your average demo time?

I only do one recipe even if there is more than 10 people there. I don't know how you do your shows, but I do the No Demo shows, I know there are other threads on that subject on here, but my talk time is max 45 min. and that's it. And they have already eaten, so I am at my hosts house a total of about 2and 1/2 hours, maybe a few minutes more. That's set, demo, orders and pack up!

KellyTheChef said:
Kearstin~

How long is "too long?" IOW, what's your average demo time?

Well, I had a show on Monday night (my first one in FOREVER!) we had a scheduled start of 6:30 and I got started by about 6:45 and I didn't leave until about 9:15. I would say my spiel, demo and games wer over by around 8:30 or so.

I feel like people are ready for a nap by the time I get done with them!

chefmelody said:
Prep work! I used to not do any prep work before starting a show, and found that there was a lot of time I wasted doing the same action over and over. Yes, you may have to rinse your tools and such before your demo starts, but that's a small price to pay for having most of everything chopped/sliced/put in pan beforehand!

I try to arrive to my host's house between 30 - 45 minutes before the show so that I have plenty of prep time, but it seems like guests start filtering in and the host has questions and I don't get it done. I think actually prepping would help a lot though.

Personally, I think talking for 45 minutes is too long. Sometimes the group is very chatty and they want to see and talk about more things so it ends up taking 45 minutes, though. Then you have to add on the time it takes people to actually show up. People seem to always be late and when they do come in they chat. I plan to start right away if possible but in my head, I actually plan to start 10 - 15 minutes later than start time. I try to only demo one full recipe, but I work on a mostly done recipe while the other one is in the oven. I have to really work on being precise with my talks because I have to make sure to talk about the opportunity, hosting, bridal showers, fundraisers, warrenties, etc. I just don't want to go on and on. I have a pretty full September so hopefully I'll be able to really get some good practice in.
Anyway, I think 30 minutes is a good amount of time to have the focus on me and the presentation. People want to have fun, and when I go to a party that I'm not the presenter, I want to talk to my friends more than anything else.

I agree, JAE. I want to cut down my time too. It's already pretty short, but I want the guests to have tons of time to chat & shop.

I'm really excited about the recipes because with them being so quick & easy, they will be done in 30 minutes (or a little longer b/c of talking about products!). Some other threads are talking about using outlines. I'm going to make an outline for each recipe I'm offering & follow it! That way I won't forget anything, and will able to keep my speed up. I'm also utilizing Did You Know cards so the guests can do some of the talking too.

I also think that I'm going to have a spot for the guests to place their orders when ready. I'll tell them they are welcome to eat first, but please have orders to me by such & such time (maybe 30 minutes later). That way I can clean up, talk to guests, & do orders for those who need to leave quickly.

pamperedgirl3 said:
I agree, JAE. I want to cut down my time too. It's already pretty short, but I want the guests to have tons of time to chat & shop.

I'm really excited about the recipes because with them being so quick & easy, they will be done in 30 minutes (or a little longer b/c of talking about products!). Some other threads are talking about using outlines. I'm going to make an outline for each recipe I'm offering & follow it! That way I won't forget anything, and will able to keep my speed up. I'm also utilizing Did You Know cards so the guests can do some of the talking too.

I also think that I'm going to have a spot for the guests to place their orders when ready. I'll tell them they are welcome to eat first, but please have orders to me by such & such time (maybe 30 minutes later). That way I can clean up, talk to guests, & do orders for those who need to leave quickly.

What are you "Did You Know" cards? I like it when I have a group that will interact with me and ask questions, talk about their favorite products, etc. I try to play the "Got It, Love It" game to encourage that. But, like the other night, I had a group of ladies who wouldn't say much at all and then I try to overcompensate by blabbering on and on and on!

From start to finish I try to keep my show at 1 hour, a bit more if there are more than 10 people. Sometimes I make this goal...sometimes I don't, it does depend on my pre-prepping, lentght of time of receipe, how chatty/large the crowd is, etc.

I try to find a recipe that I can demo in 15 minutes or less (not counting cooking time). I do tons of the prep before the show and will just discuss what I used. A good thing here is to SHOW YOUR HOST what you are doing during prep so you can ask her "wasn't that a cool tool, or wasn't that easy, etc.)

To show things that make a difference in my sales, after the short demo I say something like "now I'm going to show you some tools I think are must haves...and then I either do a mini demo or discuss or pass around, etc. about 10 items. That takes about 15 more minutes.

Another thing that has sped my show up has been taking LESS. There are lots of reasons for taking less product, ....but an unexpected one is that if I have fewer items to show or talk about, any discussion of any item I don't have on hand seems to go quicker. Does that make sense?

If I have a big crowd I also only have every other person share a favorite item.

bethsbiz said:
Another thing that has sped my show up has been taking LESS. There are lots of reasons for taking less product, ....but an unexpected one is that if I have fewer items to show or talk about, any discussion of any item I don't have on hand seems to go quicker. Does that make sense?

If I have a big crowd I also only have every other person share a favorite item.

Do you have people complaining when they ask about a product you didn't bring along? It seems like when I try to cut down on what I take, everyone seems to ask about the product I left at home. So when the next show rolls around I start thinking about that and pack everything I own!

BTW - I like the idea of only having every other person share their faves.

Another way to keep your show length shorter is to use the show outline cards. They will keep you on track.

Good idea. I did that in the beginning when I was still getting the hang of things... Maybe I should go back to that since I clearly don't have the "hang of things!" :D

kearstin said:
I try to arrive to my host's house between 30 - 45 minutes before the show so that I have plenty of prep time, but it seems like guests start filtering in and the host has questions and I don't get it done. I think actually prepping would help a lot though.

Heh, I usually have guests coming in late. :eek: But you could get those early-arrivers to help you out, if you can! Tell them they get to play with your 'toys' since they got there early. I never have trouble getting guests or hosts to help... usually they're asking me what they can do to help me get set up.

I have started trying to star my shows on time even if everyone is not there. I have found that this helps. I do not think those that get their on time should have to sit around and wait for those who come in late.

Normally my shows are set to astart at 6. I get there by 530. I am normally out the door between 8 and 830.

I am trying the demo-less show at my next showin two weeks to see how that goes. I worry about needing to be there even earlier to do the recipe and then that really no cutting down on my time away from home any. And not all recipes you can serve cold and prepare them at home, plus, I normaly leave straight from work to go to my shows.

kearstin said:
Do you have people complaining when they ask about a product you didn't bring along? It seems like when I try to cut down on what I take, everyone seems to ask about the product I left at home. So when the next show rolls around I start thinking about that and pack everything I own!

BTW - I like the idea of only having every other person share their faves.

I have definitely pared down what I bring - if they really want to see it, I tell them "I'll bring it to your house when you have your show!"

I don't do introductions, I don't have people share their favorites, or any of that. I get to my host's house 30 min. before show time, set up, prep, and start greeting guests as they come in the door so I already know their name and they know mine. I start about 10-15 min. after start time (no one is ever on time) after they all have a drink and some snacks, and do my demo for 45 min. If I'm chopping something that takes a little longer, I may ask people to come up and "help" so they can try the product (I usually get someone who doesn't have the product to come up and try it, then I give them a twixit clip for "helping"). If I hit a "lull", I ask people to talk about their favorite products that I haven't mentioned yet, so that's how I work it in. I work in all of my hosting talk and recruiting talk in my demo, too. At the end, I do the drawing slip and then hand out the receipts, and then go in another room to take orders. The order taking usually takes the longest, b/c I think one-on-one checkout is very important - I get a lot more bookings and recruit interest that way. If my host wasn't able to clean my dishes, I just throw the dirties in a big plastic bag and take them home, so I'm out of her hair. This has cut down on my show time tremendously!!

Hope some of these tips helped! It takes a little while to figure out what works for you, so keep trying and I'm sure you'll figure something out eventually!!

To fight the "don't you have *this* with" issue...I put on the invitation and tell the host everytime I talk to her that if there is anything she or her guests would like to see, LET ME KNOW! I can't bring everything but am thrilled to customize what I bring based on their needs.THEN, if someone asks, I say..."Oh, I wish you would have told me. That's why I started putting it on the invitations so that I can have it here." Then you can even add on, but I'd be happy to bring it to your show! Or ask who has it and loves it. They can usually describe it pretty well.I like a quick show and really try to do as much as I can to get THEM to start talking. If someone has a great idea for a product, everyone ends up buying it! In fact, I recently had someone buy a couple of MY products (I'll just replace them) b/c she wanted to try the ideas THAT night!

kearstin said:
What are you "Did You Know" cards? I like it when I have a group that will interact with me and ask questions, talk about their favorite products, etc. I try to play the "Got It, Love It" game to encourage that. But, like the other night, I had a group of ladies who wouldn't say much at all and then I try to overcompensate by blabbering on and on and on!

If you do a search in the files for Did You Know cards, you'll find them. They have booking, recruiting, registry, product & other questions or comments. One may be, Do you know the guest special for this month? Or did you know that hosts can get $200+ in free products, up to 4 half price items, plus an additional discount and 10% off for a year--or something like that. I put them in the lap boards & if someone reads theirs, I'll give them a twixit. I don't make my guests read them.

I have been listening to the recruiting tape "Attract, Inform, Invite: Recruiting Essentials" with Marna Ross and Deena Drieu. Marna recommends doing a quick product recap at the end of your shows and then getting the guests to talk about what they are purchasing tonight-verses doing intros and telling their favorites. This gets everyone interested in what others are purchasing and we all want to know what someone else is getting (so maybe we should get it too). Then you can tell the guest "oh my gosh, that stone, trifle bowl, simple additions, etc..is coming up on sale, so lets talk about getting a show scheduled for you so you can add to your collection" Or "That stone is in our super starter kit, we'll talk after the show. You'd be so good at this, don't you all think so..." The idea is to help with sales and recruiting.
Doing the favorite item during intros takes too much time and this game serves a useful purpose.
This is a great CD, the number is AW90.

Deb Z.

What I've been doing this month Aug. is the "Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake". I have the host prepare the batter for when I arrive. While I am setting up I have the cake baking. When people are arriving they smell the cake baking!;)
I do my intro and I go around the room asking what their favorite PC product is. I tell them that every PC product is my favorite BUT the Executive 12" skillet is my FAVORITE!! I talk about the cookware and put together the topping. I've got some bookings for Sept because of the Executive skillet.
I only bring what I am making , one piece of stoneware, one simple additions and the next month’s host special.
I’ve learn after 3 years not to drag every PC product to a show.

Good Luck!!:)

I used to think that "bringing everythign I owned that was current PC" would make a difference in my sales. I was convinced that people had to see things to buy them. Thus, I packed in 3 or 4 crates, took 45 minutes to set up; barely had time to prep and was exhausted and late leaving most shows.

When I started parring down, it was apparant that my overall sales did not suffer. Why? Because I found that having a smaller "kit" allowed me to custom what I took with me and those tended to be tools in the $15.00 and above category, mostly above $25.00.

My overall sales have been increasing, my bookings are increasing (have 11 cooking shows set for September...) and I am taking less time in and out at the show.

Do people ask for things I dont' have? Yes, certainly. If it is during a show, I'll ask if someone has it and wants to share on how they like that product. I also tell them that I can bring that product to the next show if they'd like, or they can stop by my office or home to see it.

Another thing that told me that you don't have to have it to sell it: the mix n chop phenomena. I thought that item was silly. Didn't take it to shows. But still, it sold itself, sight unseen, catalog review and word of mouth only.

That was a big lesson.

Now that my kit is less, I'm enjoying my shows more too!

I've been thinking of paring down my kit to include ONLY the Starter Kit - and whatever the host bonus item is for the month I am trying to book. I'm thinking it could be a good recruiting tool too - I could talk about how everything I am using comes with your kit when you become a consultant....and how easy PC makes it for you to start your own business.....what do you all think?

so beth, what do you bring to shows?

ChefBeckyD said:
I've been thinking of paring down my kit to include ONLY the Starter Kit - and whatever the host bonus item is for the month I am trying to book. I'm thinking it could be a good recruiting tool too - I could talk about how everything I am using comes with your kit when you become a consultant....and how easy PC makes it for you to start your own business.....what do you all think?

I think that's a pretty good idea.

I think that is a really good idea. I know I need to stop bringing so much, too. One reason why I bring so much is because I don't like to ask the host to use anything of hers. I want a platter for the skillet cake, I use Hershey's Kisses so I bring either the small bowls and cadddy set or the rectangle platter for those. I bring spoons, scrapers, spatulas, etc. whatever I need for preparing and serving. It's just too much. Maybe if I do what you, Becky, or thinking about doing I can simplify my show, my life and the whole process.

Topic: Shorter Shows#1) Only bring what you will need for your demo, the host and guest specials, and 1 piece of each: stoneware, cookware, and SA (I bring more SA's to do my "legos for ladies" skit). If you bring it all...why do they need to come to another show to see more? I do bring my TTA with the little stuff because why unload/reload it to accomodate with just the tools for each show? (IMO)
#2) Per my National Senior Executive Director...Don't make more than one recipe. I too, used to make two and still do if I have sent out the invites and know that there will be 15+ people...which is few and far between. Now hear me out on this one because what she said made sense:
  • If you are selecting an "A" recipe, you are showing plenty of tools. You are not there to be their caterer. You're there to show them the tools. We've heard it a dozen times..."Focus on the tools, not the recipe(s)."
  • If you are making two recipes, you are arriving early, staying later. This is more time for you and your hostess. Inconvenient for both parties.
  • Bringing too much stuff/bags makes your job look more difficult, and recruits feel they have to have all the tools to have a successful start to their business.
  • Making your job look quick and easy (both through minimal crates and quick demos) will improve your recruit leads.
#3) I always have my guide for each recipe. I have it in the back side of the flip chart. Guests think I know the recipe by heart when in reality, I'm periodically glancing at it as I'm demoing.
#4) I also have found that if I line up the smaller tools I'll be needing in the demo along side or front of the table in order that I'll use them, it saves the time of looking through the TTA for it. This is all part of the prepwork.
#5) I also put on the invitations and the e-vites that the show starts at 6:25 pm instead of 6:30, etc. It's a polite way to say be on time. You know that when they read it, they immediately round up to 6:30. I promptly start the show 15 minutes later (6:40 pm).

I've gotten my show time down to about 2 1/2 hours from the time I pull into the drive way to the time I leave. I wash only my stone and pan at the hosts house (primarily because of the way I pack my rolling bag).

Happy Selling,
Rita

WOW Rita! Those are some great tips!!

You've definitely given me some things to think about.
rwester said:
Especially If you bring it all...why do they need to come to another show to see more?

I've really been thinking that I need to cut back to just one recipe, but in my small town, most guests (and hosts) have been to or had a show with me before and I'm afraid that they'll expect two recipes. But, I also hadn't thought about the inconvenience for them when I do two recipes.

I've got a couple weeks before my next show so I'm definitely going to be thinking about all of your suggestions.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!! :D

kearstin said:
I've really been thinking that I need to cut back to just one recipe, but in my small town, most guests (and hosts) have been to or had a show with me before and I'm afraid that they'll expect two recipes. But, I also hadn't thought about the inconvenience for them when I do two recipes.

Tell them that you've decided to streamline your show so that they'll be away from home less and/or have more time to socialize. Talk to them about how your new method benefits them. :D

ChefBeckyD said:

I love this idea. I think I might start doing that as well.

I went to serving one recipe last year, but did away with it. I actually really enjoy having two. I always make the second one completely at home & just throw it in the oven or whatever if it needs it. I always choose something that can be shown in Stoneware. Sometimes the second recipe might be the garlic bites that are done when they arrive. I understand the reasoning behind the one recipe, I just want it to feel more like a party & don't want the host doing too much work! I have A LOT of repeat hosts each year!

kearstin said:
WOW Rita! Those are some great tips!! :D

My Director (an Exec) says she asks a guest to help with the clean up by washing her tools, stones etc and in return she offers a gift to that person. She never goes home with dirty tools and says the guest is eager to help.

My shows average 2.5 hours (in the door & out the door). I only demo one show and offer the host the option of a 10 minute micro cake or pre-made trifle. If the micro cake that is the first thing I do when I arrive. By the time my demo is done the cake is ready to invert and serve. I consider the cake/trifle as my gift to the host.

I figure I spend most of my time at the check-out stage discussing each guests order with them, offer cross-sell items and giving booking and recruiting info.

I take most of my dishes home dirty, except bigger items like SA large bowl or skillets, because it is easier to wash them and put them back in my case instead of cramming them in the crate.

I usually only bring the items required for the demo, any new item or host/guest specials, and one piece of stoneware, cookware and SA.

ChefBeckyD said:

I'm with you on this all the way!
Schel

1. How can I cut down on my show time for Pampered Chef?

There are a few things you can do to save time during your Pampered Chef show. First, make sure you have all of your ingredients and tools organized and easily accessible. This will help streamline the cooking process. You can also pre-measure ingredients and prepare some steps ahead of time to save time during the show. Additionally, try to limit distractions and keep a steady pace throughout the demonstration.

2. How many recipes should I do during my Pampered Chef show?

It is recommended to do two recipes during your Pampered Chef show. This allows for a variety of dishes to be showcased and gives guests a taste of what Pampered Chef has to offer. However, make sure to plan and prepare ahead of time to ensure that you can complete both recipes within the allotted show time.

3. How can I finish one recipe before guests arrive without running out of things to do?

To save time and avoid running out of things to do, you can pre-measure ingredients and prepare some steps ahead of time. This will also allow you to focus on engaging with your guests and showcasing the products rather than rushing through the cooking process.

4. What are some common time-consuming factors during Pampered Chef shows?

Some common factors that can contribute to longer show times include disorganization, not being familiar with the recipes, and getting sidetracked by unrelated conversations or tasks. Make sure to have a clear plan and stay focused on the cooking demonstration to save time.

5. Any other tips for cutting down on show time?

In addition to the tips mentioned above, you can also practice the recipes beforehand to become more efficient in the kitchen. You can also consider incorporating some quick and easy recipes into your show to save time. And don't forget to have fun and enjoy the process – your guests will feel the positive energy and have a great time too!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• heat123
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
heat123
  • krzymomof4
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
Replies