• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!

In summary, the speaker was contacted by a host to do a show at an apartment complex in the community clubhouse. They did one show, but the second show was postponed due to remodeling. The speaker had to make additional preparations and invites for the rescheduled show, but upon arriving, there was no furniture in the clubhouse. They had a fairly good show with 400+ guests, but one of the co-hosts had issues with their credit card payment, causing delays and frustration for the speaker. Other guests also caused problems, including one who wanted to return their order and another who called the speaker multiple times a day. The speaker is considering only accepting cash or a cashier's check for the co-host's order in the future.
scottcooks
Gold Member
A host contacted me to do a show at their apartment complex in the community clubhouse. We did one, and it was fun - a little light in attendance, but booked another for this past summer.

[Venting, now...]The second show was supposed to be in August, and there were going to be piles of guests...So :rolleyes: I went and ordered extra old spring/summer catalogs, to be ready with 100+ catalogs, for this apt. complex of 400+ units. Apt. Manager told host 3 days before, "you can't have it then 'cause we are remodelling clubhouse." So - I buy mini catalog updates, make 400 invites, and post them on all the Apt. doors for a Sept. 19show. (host hasn't done much, but did invite former guests and some new folks who live nearby). I also buy 100 new catalogs, to have enough on hand...

Get to the show, there was NO FURNITURE IN THE CLUBHOUSE other than a big kitchen table! Apt.mgr crew had removed "old" sofa & chairs to remodel them, and left a huge refrigerator box & pallette in the back of the room! :confused: We pulled in pool chairs from outside, then unpacking, I found I forgot 1/2 my groceries (I buy for hostess then get ca$h there) so she went shopping for me. Had a fairly good show - 400+, but she wanted to co-host with this lady who had received all the host benefits last time.

So it takes over 2 weeks to get this other co-host lady's order, then she is "unsure" about her credit card. I send it in in early October, PC tells me the credit card is declined. :eek: I go back to hostess and the second co-host gal - again, hard to reach, she says try it again. We do - it's now the week before Halloween. still no. We try it a third time, Nov. 9 and I say enough and have to go get a cashier's check for her order. $80+. :mad:

People were so upset - one called PC HO to say she didn't want her product, then picked it up telling host she was going to stop payment (PC HO says she can't - it already was processed...). Apt. mgr staffer lady who ordered, says I she was so disappointed in how long it took, wants me to refund her order. I'm going to do that tomorrow. :D

I went and picked up some outside orders to deliver to my other customers, and goofy apt.mgr folks mistakenly dropped someone's order in the box I took...so I get to take it back out to them. Joy. :D

Ditzy co-hostess says the whole thing stemmed from not having the show in August (I guess her credit cards worked better then and everything...grrrr!) and wants me to write a letter of "professional complaint" to the apt.mgr explaining how they made this hard for me and for hostesses. And, then - she will pay me [again] for the items she ordered.

My director says to write the letter, so I can get my $80 back, I am so fed up with these people. It is very hard for me to stay professional, I just want to go off on them all. ;)

I am getting 2 calls a day from HO from goofy guest who 'doesn't want her order' but picked it up anyway. I guess HO is mailing her a UPS label so she can ship it back to them. So glad they are dealing with that.

I just want it to stop. Should I contact each and every guest and explain to them the delay? It's not really their business, but I had told the hostess, and she D I D N O T H I N G . I just want to fire her. They just think that I and PC are incompetent jerks, when in reality it's the do-nothing hostess, and ditzy co-hostess who doesn't balance her checkbook.

Co-hostess is a sweet lady, and I really get the tight finances not sure if the card is going to work thing - but she needs to TELL ME about that.

So - I'm thinking I should only accept CASH for her order. or maybe a cashier's check, but absolutely NOT her personal check. She can write a personal check to the hostess and the hostess can give me cash and she can deal with it.

Ideas? :(

I know - I know - bless and release... :eek:

Anyone have another "show from h#ll" story to make me feel better?

I say if the credit card did not go through twice, insist on a cashier's check or cash. It's not hard to give you cash, especially all the aggravation you have been put through.I always set specific deadlines with my hosts to close their show. Because of this and "speedy delivery" I have gotten people call me to book just because turnover is quick!!

scottcooks said:
Should I contact each and every guest and explain to them the delay? It's not really their business, but I had told the hostess, and she D I D N O T H I N G . I just want to fire her. They just think that I and PC are incompetent jerks, when in reality it's the do-nothing hostess, and ditzy co-hostess who doesn't balance her checkbook.

Scott,

I think I'd contact them, though I don't know if they'll believe you. Start out as a customer care call and then add something at the end. You could apologize and say (without sounding too much like you're placing blame) that the hosts had some difficulty getting the show wrapped up so you were unable to submit it in the timely fashion that is normal for you.

Then, bless and release.

Jeanine

If you don't have time to call them or really just don't want to deal with talking to them maybe you can e-mail them or send them a quick note apologizing for the delay and explaining what the holdup was. Did you get bookings from this show? If not I would definately wash my hands off them.

one booking that didn't hold. I think we're done. I went to ditzy cohost's house today and she never answered the door! I will only deal with hostess at this point, give her 1 week to get me cash or a cashier's check, then items are mine, I guess--it's OK; some new products I didn't have!

Scott,

You are being a real trooper. I've read some of your other posts and you have given wonderful advise. What would you tell another consultant in this case? Remember this is a business and mishaps are going to happen. I think it very wise to only deal with the host at this point. And I think I would write a letter to all guest apologizing for the delay. It would be apropriate to let them know that this is not the normal show expreiance and you would love to make it up to them. Keep it professional and don't say anything about the host or co-host. If you are able, I would offer a discount on future order or free shipping to all of the guests as good will token. You never know, they may be willing to over look this unpleasant ordeal.

Wow, ChefPayne! You're right. I have some extra Season's Best from this season, so I'll pop them in the mail to each guest with a simple note on TPC stationery that apologizes for the 'perfect storm' that swirled around this show, offer them a "freebie" show (tomato basil squares, I buy the ingredients, they supply the friends) and let it settle from there.

:eek: Wow. You poor thing! I've had some bad shows, but never one where I got blamed. Usually the guests know the host and know if she is a ding-bat. I hope it all goes away soon!

I wrote ditzy cohostess the following letter - Dear Ditzy, It is time for you to take care of your PC order from that September 19th show. Basically I loaned you the money so the show could be shipped for everyone. By Friday, December 8 pleasemail me a cashier's check or money order for $xxx. Once I receive the cashier's check, I will drop off your items. If I don't receive your payment by Saturday's mail, I will take it you don't want these, and return the items. I would appreciate the courtesy of your letting me know, either way.

I did call your cell phone and leave the message there as well.

Sincerely yours,
so was I too blunt? I think it's professional but pointed - which was my goal. Hopefully I get the cash, but at this point, I just want it to end.

And I got a note from HO saying the 'miffed guest' that wanted to return her order was 'going to keep it' after all... I thought she probably would.

Take care, everyone - it's almost over. I'll let you know if the lady sings at the end.

The End!

Co-hostess never responded, never called. So I am now the proud owner of a couple items I didn't have before. Just really really glad it's O V E R !!!!
Phew!

Moral of the story:

1) Close your shows in a timely fashion
2) Be insistent, live and in person when a credit card is declined
3) Communicate clearly your expectations of the host and what help you will offer.
4) Get 2 ways of contacting each guest - the lemonaid lady says NAPEF Name Address Phone Email Fax.

I'm thinking more hands-on with this host would have helped. Her lack of effort for the show, resulted in a wobbly customer group and she was just non-confrontational about co-hostess. But, it's all done now. I'm glad this was show 81 and not 1. I know they will go up from here.

ChefPayne - when I went to find contacts, I had no addresses for the guests beyond host and co-hostess. All I can do is hope some of the residents need PC items and call from my catalogs.

Good one to learn from!

Scott
Sorry you had such a horrible show. Just take this as a lesson learned. You know you can return any of the products back to Pampered Chef HO to get a refund if you really don't need them. :)

By the way I do have a story to ease your pain.
I had a show Nov 9 hostess did not close until Dec 5 (mind you she told everyone at the show she was closing the day after her show) I could not get her to return my calls so on. 2weeks after her show guest calls wanting to know where her order was, tells me to cxl her order then I talk her into keeping the order(I wanted to reach my $3000 goal) I kick in a SB she's happy. Guest calls me Monday 12/11 wanting her stuff demanding I give her a credit on her cc now! I explain order should be at my house by 5p it does guest meets me to pick it up and she and husband are just a nice as can be I swear she has a 2 personality! Oh and I had order sent to my house to help Hostess out since she complained about having 2 jobs and now she will not even meet me half way! She lives about 1.5 away! Boy I will be glad to end this show too!

Michelle

Last edited:
HEH! If she wants her stuff she'll meet you halfway... ;)

I'm a meanie consultant! Maybe it's from 4 years working in low-income housing and having to be a real meanie about rules, etc..... LOL

I generally have shows shipped to me now... it's just easier that way, especially if I'm dealing with a new host that isn't familiar with process. And whenever possible, I have them come help me sort the products, too!!!! lol

Scott,

I agree with you completely on the credit card thing. I had one declined on a very large guest order. She was adamant it was due to changes in her billing address and then wouldn't return my calls. I finally put it all on my card (dumb I know) because the show was one of my firsts, I personally knew the guest, and all the other orders were for friends of mine (didn't want the show delayed any longer). I did have the sense to have the order sent to me...so I too now have additional product samples (I choose to just keep her order).

As a side note, my bank told me later that name/address verification is a vendor option...banks just verify the card number and funds availability. Same guest apparently did this to another consultant as well. If I ever get another declined card, I'll accept the guest saying something must be wrong with her address...but then I'll nicely ask for cash. :)

What is "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!"?

"Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!" is a virtual cooking show hosted by Pampered Chef that aims to help people struggling to prepare healthy and delicious meals. We provide tips, recipes, and interactive cooking demonstrations to make mealtime easier and more enjoyable.

How can I watch "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!"?

You can watch "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!" on our official Pampered Chef website. Simply visit our website during the scheduled showtime and click on the designated link to join the virtual cooking show.

Do I need to have a Pampered Chef account to watch the show?

No, you do not need a Pampered Chef account to watch "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!" However, having an account will allow you to access additional resources and recipes featured on the show.

Can I interact with the host during the show?

Yes, "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!" is an interactive cooking show, and we encourage viewers to ask questions and share their own tips and experiences in the chat section. Our host will do their best to address as many questions as possible during the show.

Is there a cost to watch "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!"?

No, there is no cost to watch "Help Me Get Freed - Show From H*Ll Never Ends!" It is a free virtual cooking show offered by Pampered Chef to help people improve their cooking skills and make mealtime easier.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • byrd1956
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • pampered.chris