• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! I'm New to Grilling Paninis - Experts Needed!

When using the press, you can either heat it up on the stove or use a burner on the press itself. If you're worried about the nonstick coating, spritz it with a little oil. The oil will start to smoke by the time the pan is hot enough to ruin the nonstick (or cause it to outgas the dangerous fumes).
ChefPaulaB
Okay, so I received my grill pan and press and am so excited to use it and make some Paninis and I just look at it and have no idea what to do! My husband keeps asking me all these questions and I don't know. Now, granted I haven't completely went through the website or the card that came with it (have been sick and didn't feel like reading) but I thought I'd come straight to the experts... Please tell me exactly how to do this... remember I need details! Do you have to heat the press up and if so how? That's the main question I guess, but I just need details.. TIA!!

You don't need to heat the press up, but I do when I use it (it helps the panini cook through just a little faster). I set the press in the pan while the pan is pre-heating. But if you want it to get really hot and not worry about scratching the pan, set the press on it's own burner (just remember to use a pot holder to move it). When making panini, I usually preheat the pan and press on Med-High while I assemble the sandwiches. Then I place them in the pan, top with the press, and wait. I turn them over when they're deep golden brown on the first side and cook the second side. That one takes less time. You can also use the press on the Double Burner Griddle or Square Griddle for sandwiches or bacon.

How do you use the press when you are cooking meat? Same way? If you put it on top of the raw meat as the bottom side is cooking, then when it's time to flip do you have to go and wash it before using it again--so that raw stuff doesn't get on the cooked side?Also, how long is it okay to preheat the grill pan so that it doesn't ruin the nonstick coating over time?

You can preheat the grill pan for a few minutes, on med-high. If you're worried about the nonstick coating, spritz it with a little oil. The oil will start to smoke by the time the pan is hot enough to ruin the nonstick (or cause it to outgas the dangerous fumes).When I use the press on meat, it's usually just for bacon. And the press is close enough to the surface of the pan that I don't worry about the juices. It gets hot and they cook. Or I flip the bacon a second time and let them cook off that side (no press after the second flip).

I have had my press for over a year and I just got my square grill pan this week. I cooked chicken breasts in it and placed the grill press on top. They cooked great and even had "grill marks" on the chicken. I can't wait to make paninis. What kind of bread do you buy?

For panini, I use anything except squishy bread. Some of the denser supermarket breads, like Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread, will work. But my favorite is sourdough.

chefann said:
For panini, I use anything except squishy bread. Some of the denser supermarket breads, like Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread, will work. But my favorite is sourdough.

Sourdough is my favorite too - followed by Marble Rye.

Mmmm, I love to make Turkey Rueben Paninis w/ Marble Rye.....in fact, that sounds like a really good option for dinner tonight, except I don't have any coleslaw, or swiss cheese, or Marble Rye. Shoot - I'll have to make it this weekend, after grocery day!:blushing::chef:

babywings76 said:
How do you use the press when you are cooking meat? Same way? If you put it on top of the raw meat as the bottom side is cooking, then when it's time to flip do you have to go and wash it before using it again--so that raw stuff doesn't get on the cooked side?

I would like to know this too. I was going to order my hubby one and I want to know the answer so I can tell him how to do it!! He always trys to "out-cook" me and tell me "how to do it"!! :rolleyes: If I tell him that the "experts" (that you guys) says...then maybe he will listen!! ;)

chefann said:
But if you want it to get really hot and not worry about scratching the pan, set the press on it's own burner.

OMG - light bulb moment! I had never thought of doing this!

So I was looking through similar threads about the grill press, and on one of them people were saying you aren't supposed to heat the grill press. Anyone know why there's a difference in the info? I'll go look into things on CC and maybe email the test kitchens about my question about how to use the grill press with food safety in mind. But if anyone knows any info, could you share? I know others have said they use the grill press when they cook hamburgers, chicken, fish, etc.

jigsmom said:
I would like to know this too. I was going to order my hubby one and I want to know the answer so I can tell him how to do it!! He always trys to "out-cook" me and tell me "how to do it"!! :rolleyes: If I tell him that the "experts" (that you guys) says...then maybe he will listen!! ;)

I don't put the press on until I've flipped it.

From the PIG:

Cook’s Tips:
The Grill Press should not be preheated before use. Even though the press has ridges on the surface, the sear marks on grilled food come from the Grill Pan, not the press. Food must be turned once to produce sear marks on each side.

Technical / Safety / Cleaning Tips:
TECHNICAL
Do not use the Grill Press on a BBQ grill (due to enamel coating).

So it sounds like it's not made to withstand higher heat from direct contact with the heat source...?

babywings76 said:
So I was looking through similar threads about the grill press, and on one of them people were saying you aren't supposed to heat the grill press. Anyone know why there's a difference in the info?

PampChefJoy said:
From the PIG:

Cook’s Tips:
The Grill Press should not be preheated before use. Even though the press has ridges on the surface, the sear marks on grilled food come from the Grill Pan, not the press. Food must be turned once to produce sear marks on each side.

TECHNICAL

So it sounds like it's not made to withstand higher heat from direct contact with the heat source...?

I usually only pre-heat the press inside the pan, so that it's not really hot. I saw the tip about using another burner to heat it on Good Eats. And I've done that only a couple of times when I wanted to get dinner done quickly (smoked sausage in the grill pan - it's precooked, so there's no contamination issue).

I guess I should preface that tip with the disclaimer that using the product contrary to the use and care may void the guarantee.

Okay, I feel cheeky... does anyone wonder why the grill press has the grill ridges if you're not using it to do anything but press heavy on the food? why isn't it flat, then?

I think it's to give the juices/fat someplace to go. When I used mine on bacon over the weekend, the fat went up into the ridges. If it were flat, then the food would end up in a puddle, especially if one is using the press with the griddle instead of the grill pan.

PampChefJoy said:
From the PIG:

Cook’s Tips:

TECHNICAL

I had to go help the kids for a minute. Thanks for getting that info Joy! You saved me a step. :)

So after reading this I get it now. Like Becky said too, it appears that it's best to use the press after you've flipped it.

I'm wondering then how much of a time saver the press is then, and if it's worth the hassle of storing it and cleaning it if you only use it for a little bit. Does it dramatically cut down on the cooking time? Also, I don't make panini's that often, and when I do I just press down on it with the spatula, so I'm thinking I might not get this product.

chefann said:
I think it's to give the juices/fat someplace to go. When I used mine on bacon over the weekend, the fat went up into the ridges. If it were flat, then the food would end up in a puddle, especially if one is using the press with the griddle instead of the grill pan.

That makes sense, though I am guessing the typical consumer will come to the conclusion that the ridges means you can heat it and use it to grill from both sides... it's the more logical conclusion IMO. And seriously, how many people really read the use & care?

Lisa Amblo's website has some great Grill Pan recipes. She uses the 12" skillet as a 'Try Me' piece and the Grill Pan as a great addition to your Cookware. She has tons of recipe ideas there.

We love using our Grill Pan for chicken and chicken parmesan (made all in one pan! YUM!

stefani2 said:
Lisa Amblo's website has some great Grill Pan recipes. She uses the 12" skillet as a 'Try Me' piece and the Grill Pan as a great addition to your Cookware. She has tons of recipe ideas there.

We love using our Grill Pan for chicken and chicken parmesan (made all in one pan! YUM!

I love the grill pan, it's just the press that I am sitting on the fence about.

stefani2 said:

Do you have her website address?

It's just her last name .biz/lisaamblo.

I was going to chime in earlier but got child-tracked. I wasn't a panini eater/maker at all until I got the grill pan. I don't really use it for paninis as much as stuffing tortillas/pitas with fillings and puting in pan with press on top. I don't preheat the press, but I flip the sandwiches over.

I would really like to know the answer on the raw meat cooking and having to wash the thing off though. I know that's what I've done because the thought of puting raw chicken back on the cooked stuff is pretty gross to me!

Okay, I'm being really dense, but I just looked everywhere on her website and I can't find any recipes... now don't judge, I have a really bad headcold and am having trouble focusing, so type slowly, and in detail... please, thanks!

Well, I finally did find some recipes, just not any panini recipes... maybe I'm still missing them....

I have some on my website (I may have borrowed them from Lisa A.)

/jennagrant

Lisa's recipes are right on her Home Page. Under SHOW RECIPES, MY RECIPES and COOKS TIPS

her website is just her first and last name

thank you!

1. How do I properly season my grilling panini?

Before your first use, season your grilling panini by brushing a light coat of cooking oil onto the surface and heating it over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Wipe off any excess oil and your panini is ready to use!

2. What is the best temperature for grilling paninis?

The ideal temperature for grilling paninis is between 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure that your panini is cooked evenly and has a crispy exterior.

3. Can I use my grilling panini to cook other foods?

Yes, you can use your grilling panini to cook a variety of foods such as vegetables, meats, and even desserts. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly.

4. How do I clean my grilling panini?

After each use, allow your grilling panini to cool down completely. Then, wipe it down with a damp cloth and dry it thoroughly. If there are any stubborn stains, you can use a mild dish soap and a non-abrasive sponge to clean it.

5. Can I use metal utensils on my grilling panini?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on your grilling panini as it can scratch the non-stick surface. Instead, opt for silicone or wooden utensils to protect the surface and prolong the lifespan of your panini.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • ChefDi
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Chef Laurie