• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! IE and AOL are Locking Up - Virus Scanning Now

In summary, the person's computer was locked and they had to restart it to fix the problem. They then had to copy their files to an external hard drive in order to avoid losing them.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
This morning everytime I am on IE, it allows me about 6 minutes before the page goes white and I can't do anything. If I have AOL open at the same time, it immediately locks me out of using the AOL webbrowser as well. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it.
I am running a trend-micro virus scan right now...any ideas?

OK - I WAS running trend-micro but then all of a sudden as I was about to post to the Jilleysue thread, POOF my IE closed and CS was gone and so was trend micro. Now I am running an AOL full scan.
Anyone know WTHeck I can do? I am LOST without my computer and can't bear the thought of it dying!! Plus I have EVERYTHIG Non my harddrive -pics etc - how can I quick back them all up?

It just shot me a bunch of messages that say that a bunch of files are corrupt and I should "run the Chkdsk utility" - anyone know what that means and how I run it?
And is there ANYONE out there?!?!?!?

Sounds like you might have a virus. Do you have an updated virus program?

If not. you might want to back up all your information first. Then reformat your drive. You will have to load everything back in again. Sorry I had to do this before. It's a real bummer. And do you think I've learned to keep an anti-virus program NOOOOO..... :eek:

Have you tried restarting your computer? :)

chee65 said:
Sounds like you might have a virus. Do you have an updated virus program?

If not. you might want to back up all your information first. Then reformat your drive. You will have to load everything back in again. Sorry I had to do this before. It's a real bummer. And do you think I've learned to keep an anti-virus program NOOOOO..... :eek:

I believe I have antivirus software with AOL that is always running. I am running the AOL virus-scanner now. So far nothing has shows up except those corrupt files. How do I back up my Word, jpg, publisher and adobe files?

Copy your files on to an external hard drive, cd's, dvd's, or a huge flash drive... (and ipod nano or larger will work too!) ...and make sure you backup your PP....

How do I do that?

Do you have an external hard drive, ipod, huge flash drive, cd burner or dvd burner?

I think I have an external hard drive - but I have no clue how to save things to it.
I have a little flash drive - it says 256mb on it (is that a lot?)
And i thin ki have a CD burner in my computer

lol...oh boy! well the flash drive is way too small, and cd's are a last resort, because it could take a lot. Do you have anyone techy in your house? Can you try to find that external hard drive?

You can use your flash drive this way:

Plug it in the computer. Go to My Computer and double click on "E" drive. This should open a window that shows what is on your flash drive (if anything). Then go to your files on your computer and drag them to the open window. This will save whatever you want onto the flash drive. The size you need depends on what you want to save. You'll just have to try it and see how much space it has on it.

If you have blank CD's, you can do the same thing. Put in the CD, go to My Computer, double click on "D" drive which will open the window (sometimes computers will open the disk window automatically or prompt you by asking what you want to do with it). Drag your files onto the open CD window and when you are finished, there should be something on the left side of the window that says "Burn to CD". Click on that and you have it saved!

The good thing about CD's is if you have more than one, you don't have to worry about how much info you need to save.

If you still have trouble, email me at [email protected] and I'll give you my phone number and we can walk through it together!

I am doing it !!!
I am doing it!!!
I just love when I am not as computer illiterate as I like to think I am!!
I found the external drive -- I had to flip a switch on th eback of it to turn it on...then it showed up under My Computer as drive :F
So I am copying all my word files, all my pictures, all my flyers and newsletters and stuff I would cry if I lost...all onto that drive.
My PP I always backup onto my flashdrive - pretty much daily if not several times a day - I am so happy!!

Also, I ran the AOL virus scanner and it showed nothing but it did tell me abtuo those corrupt files - so I ran the chkdsk and it deleted those files.
DH said I need to defragment my hasrddrive so I will run that tonight whilw I am sleeping --

Thanks you guys for all the help and encouragement -- we did it!!

There ya go, now you have a copy backed up on your external hard drive! and your PP is on your flash drive....you are set! Now restart that computer if you haven't already so that you can try again...

Way to go Carolyn!!!! You have to give yourself more credit. :)

I try to defragment every other week or so (at least once a month) to keep my computers running clean and fast. So far it has helped me running smoothly.

Good job on backing up your PP frequently...you'd be surprised how many people do not do that!

Now that I have my practically my whole world backed up on my external drive - how do I keep that updated regularly?

I would do it once a month maybe...I depends on how often you save files. If you save them in one place then you can just backup that folder.

dannyzmom said:
Now that I have my practically my whole world backed up on my external drive - how do I keep that updated regularly?

You re-do what you did just now, as often as you would like. There isn't an easy way to automate the process!

Related to Help! IE and AOL are Locking Up - Virus Scanning Now

1. What should I do if my computer freezes while using Internet Explorer or AOL?

If your computer freezes while using Internet Explorer or AOL, it could be due to a virus or malware. The first step is to run a virus scan on your computer to detect and remove any potential threats. You should also make sure your computer's operating system and web browsers are up to date, as outdated software may be more vulnerable to viruses.

2. How do I run a virus scan on my computer?

To run a virus scan on your computer, you can use an antivirus software. If you don't have one installed, you can download a free antivirus program online. Once the software is installed, open it and follow the prompts to start a scan. It may take some time depending on the size of your hard drive and the number of files on your computer.

3. Should I also scan for malware?

Yes, it is recommended to also scan for malware in addition to viruses. Malware includes any malicious software, such as spyware or adware, that can harm your computer or compromise your privacy. Some antivirus programs also have the capability to scan for malware, but you can also download a separate malware scanning program if needed.

4. How can I prevent my computer from freezing in the future?

To prevent your computer from freezing in the future, make sure you have a reliable antivirus program installed and keep it up to date. You should also regularly run scans to detect and remove any potential threats. It's also important to be cautious when opening emails or downloading files from unknown sources, as these can also contain viruses or malware.

5. What should I do if the virus scan detects a threat?

If the virus scan detects a threat, follow the prompts to remove or quarantine the threat. If the virus cannot be removed, you may need to seek help from a professional computer technician. It's also a good idea to change your passwords for any accounts you have accessed on your infected computer, as the virus may have compromised your personal information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• barbchan
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
bbauman07
  • jwpamp
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
cheftiffany
  • NooraK