• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Back Up Everything!"Lesson Learned: Back Up Everything - My New Laptop Story

In summary, Jennifer's computer crashed and she had to get a new one. She lost over 90 shows on her computer about 6 years ago and has been backing up PP weekly. She is thankful because her husband added all of her Outlook contacts back in December to the family computer.
Chefgirl2
Gold Member
I had to get a new laptop!!! Grrrr....

I was having problems installing P3. After long time talking with the ever patient home office tech he figured out that my 256 memory wasn't enough and I needed at least 512 to run the new P3. My husband has been saying I needed more for some time so I asked him to pick some up last night on his way home from work.

Well, DH bought the memory card and installed it without backing anything up... of course, my computer up and died! My husband is a computer geek and knows better! Everyone calls him for help!
I thought it could be bad when he started getting quiet and sighing real loud.
I knew it was bad when he actually drove to Comp USA for help! The tech said it could be the mother board but it will cost $150 to run diagnostic testing, and if that's the problem, it will be another $600 to fix it.

Grr... but even then I knew things could be way worse. Since losing over 90 shows on my computer about 6 years ago I have been backing up PP weekly. I had just imported all of my customer contacts into the website after leadership when they announced all of the website emails that would be coming soon. But, I also knew I had not imported my Outlook Contacts to the website yet, and I started to panic.

I am so thankful because I did not know my husband decided to add all of my Outlook contacts back in December to the family computer! LIFE IS WONDERFUL even though I had to geta new laptop!

By no means am I saying P3 or Pampered Chef messed up my computer. It was just it's time to go. All I am saying is Back Up Everything!

Please learn from me...

Have him try removing the "new" RAM and see if he can boot it? ...probably tried, but just in case!

Even if your computer is toast, your hard drive may still be fine... that's where all your files are stored.Chances are, your computer geek husband can hook it up into another computer for you... there are also things you can put it into to make it an "external" or backup hard drive... Comp USA has them.But absolutely... back up, back up, back up. Losing important files will teach you faster than anything.

...did your motherboard die on your laptop or a PC...if it is a PC they tech is ridiculous - decent motherboard - $50-$100. ...just my 2 cents worth...

But I thoroughly agree, back up your files!!!!

Jennifer is right - PC or laptop, you can yank the HD and buy an external case to put it in for about $50. Tigerdirect usually carries them.

My husband knew that the motherboard for a laptop is way more expensive than for a desktop. In fact the original estimate was $600-$1,000! The hard drive was fine. He spoke with several friends and ours was fried.

Our latest problem is the Windows Vista isn't compatible with either PP or P3, yet. I tried going to our website but I haven't found any updates or patches. Why doesn't Tech support work on weekends when I need them?

Last edited:
Oh, good luck with that one (W/E tech support)! I'd personally still purchase XP not Vista. Vista has too many bugs to work out still. We're having compatibility issues with many things. I haven't tested Vista personally yet, my husband has, but try right-clicking on your icon to start PP or P3, go to properties, click on compatibility (tab) and see if Vista allows you to change it to Windows XP and try running. I hope that may help!

hmm... He is already started calling around on that one. Thanks.

I am just going to update what I have on the kids computer and call Tech support on Monday. I thought about returning the new computer but DH says it is the wave of the future. Sort of like video tapes going to DVD's. He said that Pampered Chef's Tech department has probably been working with Vista for at least a year. Or at the least know about it, and they have to be working on a fix if they haven't done so already.

My hubby got me one of those little zip drives you just plug into the USB slot and my stuff backs up in seconds

It is white and says Pampered Partner plus.

Happy 2nd anniversary!

Kathytnt said:
My hubby got me one of those little zip drives you just plug into the USB slot and my stuff backs up in seconds

Thankfully, I used mine! I'll probably start using it daily instead of weekly.

Kathytnt said:
Is the CD that came in the change over the P3??? Looked like PP version 16 to me - What is the difference? I have been so busy I hven't had tome for much reading - sorry

Today is the scond annivsary of the day I met my hubby

http://weddings.theknot.com/pwp/view/co_main.aspx?coupleid=3257102120016875
The PP updater starts automatically. Cancel it, then go to Start> Run> Browse. Navigate to your CD drive, then select "pamperedpartnerplusinstaller.exe".

FYI- there's some little glitch with the installer that P3 becomes corrupted on some systems and won't update itself when you start it the first time. It'll hang up and give an "application was unable to update" message. If that happens, call tech support. They'll have you email them the log file and direct you to a manual updater that will correct it.

1. What does "Back Up Everything" mean?

"Back Up Everything" means to save copies of all your important files, documents, photos, and other data onto an external device or online storage service in case of computer failure or data loss.

2. Why is backing up important?

Backing up is important because it ensures that you have a safe and secure copy of your important files in case of any unexpected events such as a computer crash, theft, or natural disaster. It also allows you to easily recover your data and continue working without significant interruptions.

3. How often should I back up my files?

It is recommended to back up your files at least once a week or whenever you have made significant changes to your data. However, for important or sensitive files, it is best to back them up daily.

4. What is the best way to back up my files?

The best way to back up your files is to use a combination of external hard drives, cloud storage services, and/or a network storage device. This provides multiple layers of protection in case one method fails.

5. Can I back up my entire computer?

Yes, you can back up your entire computer including the operating system, settings, programs, and files. This is known as a system image backup and it allows you to easily restore your entire computer in case of a major failure or when setting up a new one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvmypomeranian
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
angel7581
  • byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • NooraK