• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help!! "Fun" Ultimate Mandoline Training...

dimensions, materials, features, etc. then show them how it works. This will help them understand the tool better and might give them some ideas about what they might like to see in a UM.So would I!!!! :Dstill looking for ideas..... anyone??
peichef
Help!!

I've been asked to do a "fun" segment at cluster tomorrow, called "tackling the Ultimate Mandoline". They want me to give a refresher on the UM, in a fun way.

How in the heck do I make this fun!?!?!

I thought about running into the room with a football helmet on, but haven't been able to find one.

I need a gimmick, an angle to make this thing fun. Plus, my hospitality director sent out the cluster invite to everyone, promising that I was doing a "fun, interactive segment".

Everyone has been asked to bring a small potato, onion, etc. The FDs (2-4 of us) and Ds (3 of them) are all bringing our UMs so everyone will get a chance to use them.

I have watched the training video for the UM on CC.

I need ideas. PLEASE

Wish I was going to the meeting, Charity!! I have no idea what you could do. I'm no help at all, but I'm sure someone on here will think of something!! Good luck!

PChefPEI said:
Wish I was going to the meeting, Charity!! I have no idea what you could do. I'm no help at all, but I'm sure someone on here will think of something!! Good luck!

I was going to say the same thing---this is such a great idea. I don't even have my UM out of the box...so I can't really help you!

vwpamperedchef said:
I was going to say the same thing---this is such a great idea. I don't even have my UM out of the box...so I can't really help you!

What do you mean, it's not out of the box?? :eek: :eek: :eek: Do I need to make an Out of the Box call with you?? LOL It's great....I really like mine, but have to be honest and say that I never really started using it until I had to take it for recipes I was demonstrating at shows.

PChefPEI said:
What do you mean, it's not out of the box?? :eek: :eek: :eek: Do I need to make an Out of the Box call with you?? LOL It's great....I really like mine, but have to be honest and say that I never really started using it until I had to take it for recipes I was demonstrating at shows.

I seriously mean I have NEVER even used it. I guess from everyone saying that they had difficulty with it---I just never bothered. Yes, I will be a consultant for 2 years in October.

And I bet when my director reads this she is going to flip.

Maybe I will be ambitious and get it out of the box. :blushing:

I love to tease people and run my hand over the blade, showing them the safety feature. It gets a gasp or two.
Or this.... Set up all the mandolines with the v-shaped blade. Have all the consultants doing their onion or potato a the same time and tell them that whoever has the thickest ring/slice wins a full set of executive cookware. Then low and behold... same size every time... no winners, oh well... but, you will have evenly cooked potatoes and onion rings!

ChefMary412 said:
I love to tease people and run my hand over the blade, showing them the safety feature. It gets a gasp or two.

I used to do that at my shows. I'd run my finger over the blade to show how it lays flush against the base. Then..... I saw my first recruit do it at her show. It gave me such a sick feeling (even though I knew she wouldn't get cut) that I don't do that anymore.

I like your idea about having everyone slicing at the same time in a contest & showing the even slices. I may have to implement that into my segment tomorrow.

ChefMary412 said:
Or this.... Set up all the mandolines with the v-shaped blade. Have all the consultants doing their onion or potato a the same time and tell them that whoever has the thickest ring/slice wins a full set of executive cookware. Then low and behold... same size every time... no winners, oh well... but, you will have evenly cooked potatoes and onion rings!

Ha! Ha! Now that's a good one!! LOL

You should do this as a workshop at conference! I would so be there.

EpTxGuy said:
You should do this as a workshop at conference! I would so be there.

So would I!!!! :D

still looking for ideas..... anyone??

I think you should go over every piece of the UM before you even start slicing. Hold up a piece of the UM (the holder, one of the slicers, etc.) and have everyone there tell everything they can about that piece. When they run out of stuff to say, you can fill in the gaps on what they left out.

For example:

The Food Holder - it's not a food PUSHER, it's a food HOLDER or GUIDE, you can take it all apart to clean it, it has 6 prongs to hold the food while slicing, it activates the safety mechanism on the UM to only slice food when the holder is over the blade, etc.

Hope that helps! That's how I show my UM at my shows, and more people buy them when they know more about them and feel more comfortable with every aspect of the UM.

vwpamperedchef said:
Step one: Remove from box--

Step two: Set it up on table

How about having a race, to see who cuts the same size cucumber the fastest, or who fills up a small batter bowl the fastest. I think dividing into teams would be fun, perhaps one could hand the stuff to be sliced to the other who slices it. How about having one person cut stripes into the cucumber before it is sliced? You could also have them do something harder like grating cheese (I hate that job)...hopefully you have the point. Good luck!

Apples are pretty when you slice them with the stem end pointing straight up into the food holder.
They come out looking like some sort of star/snowflake.

kspry said:
Apples are pretty when you slice them with the stem end pointing straight up into the food holder.
They come out looking like some sort of star/snowflake.

What blade do you use?

The V blade. I don't see any reason why the straight blade wouldn't work either, though.

smspamperedchef said:
Step two: Set it up on table

Step 3 put it back in the box- because it's not fun to use....

Kitchen Diva said:
Step 3 put it back in the box- because it's not fun to use....

LOL I agree. My 2nd show and I'm demoing it and could not get it to work. Needless to say I didn't sell any. Not to get off the topic. I do like the idea of have a contest on who can slice the fastest maybe UM again a regular knife. Use cucumbers, onions, apples either one would work.

You girls!

If the UM doesn't work, 1st take out the blade and re-set it. If it didn't click into place it's not right. Next, make sure the little "skis" of the food holder slide on first. Hold the mandolin vertically and give a little shake. If the food holder falls off, it wasn't on right. Cut your food (eg, cucumber) into managable lengths. Don't push on the holder, just sorta rest your fingers on it so you can feel when it needs pressure. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth; think happy thoughts; be ONE with the UM...oh! I think I'm getting carried away!:D

Last show I did the UM would not slice the lemon at all. Looks like the 'levers' that are suppose to move when slid over do not....that was the problem w/my first one and had to exchange it. This one worked when I first got it..... of course, there was someone that was going to buy one, but once she saw it not work decided against it! Any suggestions to get it to work correctly??

Gosh, I LOVE my mandoline but I here the same complaints from my team members. I like the idea of the race and also the suggestion of winning the cookware for the thickest slices :) I did a training almost a year ago on the Mandoline, perhaps it's time to revisit this at our next team gathering in hopes of helping them boost some sales!

byrd1956 said:
Last show I did the UM would not slice the lemon at all. Looks like the 'levers' that are suppose to move when slid over do not....that was the problem w/my first one and had to exchange it. This one worked when I first got it..... of course, there was someone that was going to buy one, but once she saw it not work decided against it! Any suggestions to get it to work correctly??

use the v-sahpe blade. The recipe for the lemon cakes in the prep bowls says to use the adjustable blade, but it wouldn't work for me on lemons -- just made mush.

v-shape all the way for lemons:)

When all else fails, read the 'owners manual'. I am such a birdbrain!!! :p
I have been trying to use the slider by putting it on at the top and sliding down!!! What do the instructions say....."align tracks on Slider with tracks at BOTTOM of base" ...... heard the clicks....beautiful slices cucumbers. :love:
I'm e-mailing the gal from the show to tell her I'm coming to her house to slice cucumbers for her! :rolleyes:

byrd1956 said:
When all else fails, read the 'owners manual'. I am such a birdbrain!!! :p

Am I the only one who actually reads (& keeps & alphabetizes) the Use & Care cards that come with each product!?!?!

I mention the U&CC at every show (3 times) & give examples of what happens when you don't read the instructions. (Like a guest at my first show who sold her Food Chopper for $1 at a yard sale b/c it didn't work. Um... she wasn't lifting her hand off the plunger with each hit & the blade wasn't turning. She became my 3rd host, & got another one. )

READ YOUR USE & CARE CARDS!!!!:chef:

Just wondering how the training went? So wish I could have been there, this is the one piece I love to hate. Love it when I can get it to work, hate it when I can't. I rarely take it to shows, because I can't depend on it.

so how did it go???

thanks for asking :)I did a quick bit of product knowledge -- which blade for which produce / assembly, etc. then we broke into teams & each team had to assemble the UM, then slice 1 onion, change the blade to slice 1 lemon, and then fill a sm batter bowl with potatoes.They had a blast. I was surprised how many of them (& not only newer consultants) had difficulty assembling the UM. Hopefully, they learned a little something, at least.

peichef said:
thanks for asking :)

I did a quick bit of product knowledge -- which blade for which produce / assembly, etc. then we broke into teams & each team had to assemble the UM, then slice 1 onion, change the blade to slice 1 lemon, and then fill a sm batter bowl with potatoes.

They had a blast. I was surprised how many of them (& not only newer consultants) had difficulty assembling the UM. Hopefully, they learned a little something, at least.

Thank you!!!!
That is an awesome training :)

A great view for your guests is to see the food falling off the blades. Position the UM so that the backside is open towards the guests. We discovered the effectiveness of this at a cluster meeting - I was grating cheese and by coincidence it was set up that way. All the other consul & my director commented on seeing the cheese fall off the blade.
I also "always" do the safety feature demo. I run my finger over the blades & lift the top of the food holder off so they can see the blade rising.

1. How can I make a refresher on the Ultimate Mandoline fun?

One idea could be to turn it into a game or competition where participants have to slice fruits or vegetables using the UM in a certain amount of time. You could also incorporate music or a fun theme to make it more enjoyable.

2. What are some gimmicks or angles I can use to make the segment fun?

You could dress up in a chef's hat and apron to add a humorous element to the segment. Another idea could be to create a "Top Chef" style challenge where participants have to create a dish using the UM and other ingredients.

3. How can I make the segment interactive?

One way could be to have participants work in pairs or teams to complete tasks using the UM. You could also have a question and answer session where participants can ask questions or share their own tips and tricks for using the UM.

4. What are some ideas for incorporating the small potatoes and onions into the segment?

You could have participants use the UM to slice the potatoes and onions and then have them use the slices to create a dish, such as potato chips or onion rings. Alternatively, you could have a blind taste test where participants have to identify which potato or onion was sliced using the UM.

5. How can I make the segment more engaging and informative?

In addition to demonstrating how to use the UM, you could also share some interesting facts or history about the tool. You could also provide tips and techniques for using the UM safely and effectively, such as how to properly hold the food and the blade while slicing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• martike
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • emiscookin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • cwinter474