• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help for Struggling Family in Northern Michigan

In summary, this woman has been struggling with her current situation and is looking for hope. She talks about how things used to be different and how things have changed in the past few years. She talks about how children today may not need as many name brand clothes and how maybe things would be better if people tried to return to some of the traditional values.
emmabelle47
I've been on this website for about a year, mostly reading all the threads. I've read some great help you've all gave each other. You guys hardly know each other, but are so willing to help anyone who asks for it. I think I've about hit bottom and could use some prayers.

I live in northern Michigan, where our economy is horrible. I spent 5 years in college and graduated last year with a degree in x-ray. My last year was my internship and wasn't able to work. My husband supported us, but we also racked up some credit cards in order to pay bills before stuff got shut off. I still haven't found a job in x-ray and had to settle with a lower paying job. We have about $10,000 in credit card debt, among other things. Now, after problems with my husband's truck the past month, the thing is completely dead. Its too old and beat up to get any money out of it and we already have a car loan and can't afford another. It just seems like everytime I feel like things are starting to get good, something bad happens. Are we just cursed? How come we can never get a break? I can't even imagine living like this for the rest of my life!!

Not to belittle your situation but things are pretty tight everywhere. My DH & I have just started our "Journey to True Financial Freedom". I bought the book "Your Money Map...a proven 7-step Guide to True Financial Freedom" by Howard Dayton. Dave Ramsey also has a program that many use. Just know that the credit card companies will not come & take you away. Focus on your needs (food, clothing, shelter) and then on the others (credit cards, etc). Could you sell the truck for parts, scrap, etc? What about selling the car with the loan & buying 2 cars for the same monthly payment? Sometimes we have to get drastic. I hope that your situation improves very soon. Keep your head up. God won't let us drown but will let us go through certain things to teach us a lesson. Like Dory always says..."just keep swimming, just keep swimming!!"

I love the Dave Ramsey program. Check out the threads that include links and info to that.

It's not hopeless. These days many people are in the same boat as you. Take heart in knowing that you can change your situation.

What amazes me is reading a news article about a family that had their home foreclosed....the article shows pictures of them moving their belongings into their front yard. Items including a big screen plasma tv (which I don't even own) while talking on their cell phones. Hmmm....where does their priority lie? What about their kids? Did they even think that these unnessasary purchases could have bought them another month in their home?

I know that everyone is not in that sitiation-- most of us take care in how we spend money, but it's a real eye opener to see what Dave has to say about spending.

Good luck to you, God be with you during this, but I believe that He truly wants us to take charge and be responsible. He will reward good actions! Positive things will happen when you have positive thoughts, too. Oh, and prayer! LOTS of prayer to guide you!

Last edited:
I was just talking to my hairdresser yesterday about this - we said how spoiled we all are now or days. Growing up, I had ONE television in my house (we now have 5 in my house!) Things were prioritized more, we cooked our dinners from scratch (well my mom did), kids had chores - we raked our leaves (no landscaper!) we had one house phone (not one in everyroom PLUS cell phones) - we rode our bikes places, not having our parents drive us everywhere. Just because a newer or advanced model came out, we didn't go get one, we waited till the older one broke and then hopefully replaced it if necessary.

Now, I know things have changed, times are different, but some stuff hasn't. Do kids today really need those name brand clothes (ok, I had my Sergios and Jordache, but I had 1 pair of each - not 5!!) Maybe if we go back a bit on priorities not privledges things would get better.

EMMEBELLE, This isn't an attack by any means, so please don't take it that way! I will be praying for you and your family! Please try to stay positive and hopefully things will work out for you. Please keep us all posted.

I will definitely pray...for you and everyone. It is nation wide.. make it a game to save money and pay off the credit cards. Many interest rates on credit cards are going up even if you pay on time every time. Get those paid off fast and then only charge what you can pay off at the end of the month.. in other words.. live within your means. We are all doing it too.

One of the most important things I learned from my DH, when we got married was, there really is a difference between needs and wants. I have learned from him to live within my means, and yes, I can have things I want, but they need to be planned for, and a special occasion- I do not neccessarily deserve them, just because I am alive. I used to have a sense of entitlement, and I have come a LONG way!!!! Thank you, honey!!!

Emmabelle,
Dear Father, this family needs to feel your arms wrapped around them right now. Please reveal yourself in a tangilbe way to them. Send someone to minister to them
and show Yourself ... lead someone nearby them to be Your hands and feet. We don't know how You will do this Lord but I pray believing that You WILL do it! You take us to whatever place you need us to get our attention and this family looks to you for help and guidance. Lead them to hear Your will for this hour and then the next and then for the next day... one day at a time with you sweet Jesus. Please let them see you actively through others that may be able to help them right now. Help them go beyond the pride that each of us feels about asking for help and reach out to those around them. I ask all this knowing that you promise not to harm us but to help and it's just so hard sometimes to get quiet enough to hear you. Hold this family close Father, let them hear and feel you! May this prayer be in line with Your will Lord and please bless this family. In Jesus name Amen!

Emmabelle, I know the stress you are speaking of. I have said a prayer for you.I implore you to check out Dave Ramsey--www.daveramsey.com. With his Total Money Makeover plan, we were able to pay off a lot of debt (much more than yours) in just a year and are now prepared for any emergency that comes our way. We are now leading a Financial Peace University class at our church. Find one near you and GO! It is worth the money.

DebbieJ said:
Emmabelle, I know the stress you are speaking of. I have said a prayer for you.

I implore you to check out Dave Ramsey--www.daveramsey.com. With his Total Money Makeover plan, we were able to pay off a lot of debt (much more than yours) in just a year and are now prepared for any emergency that comes our way. We are now leading a Financial Peace University class at our church. Find one near you and GO! It is worth the money.

Deb, just curious, what is that class and how do you find one near you? I know of quite a few who could benefit from that!

I'm praying for you. I know how this feels trust me! I lost my great paying job 7 years ago and we have been struggling ever since! We finally have reached a light at the end of the tunnel by refinanicing our home. We may not even be at the end since my husband's job is in jeopardy from the bad economy. I hope your strugle doesn't last that long, but just rememeber take it one day at a time.

It also helps to just look for the small signs God will send you in your daily life. He wants you to depend on Him.

God bless and just remember if you've hit bottom there is only one way to go now:)!

1. How can I get help for my struggling family in Northern Michigan?

There are a few resources available for struggling families in Northern Michigan. One option is to reach out to local charities or non-profit organizations that offer assistance with food, housing, and other basic needs. Another option is to contact your county's Department of Human Services for information on government programs and resources that may be available to you.

2. Are there any food pantries or soup kitchens in Northern Michigan?

Yes, there are several food pantries and soup kitchens located throughout Northern Michigan. You can search for them online or reach out to your local Department of Human Services for a list of resources in your area.

3. What kind of financial assistance is available for struggling families in Northern Michigan?

There are a few options for financial assistance for struggling families in Northern Michigan. These may include government programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), as well as local non-profit organizations that offer financial aid for basic needs.

4. Are there any programs for children and families in Northern Michigan?

Yes, there are various programs available for children and families in Northern Michigan. These may include after-school programs, summer camps, and mentoring programs. You can contact your local Department of Human Services or search online for specific programs in your area.

5. How can I find affordable housing for my family in Northern Michigan?

There are a few ways to search for affordable housing in Northern Michigan. You can contact your local Department of Human Services for information on government-subsidized housing programs, or search online for low-income housing options. You can also reach out to local non-profit organizations that offer assistance with housing for struggling families.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies