• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Tried Making a Watermelon Basket?

In summary, the author provides helpful tips for watermelon basket making. They suggest tracing a line with a pencil to create a V-shaped cutter, using a rubber band to hold the design in place, and using stick-on numbers to create the design. They also suggest filling the basket with fruit salad.
byrd1956
Gold Member
?????Has anyone made a watermelon basket? Any pics? Any advice??

Hubby does these at work.

Basically -- design before you stab. Take the edge of a steak knife and sketch out where you want to cut before you cut it.

Here are pics of a happy watermelon race car I made for a friends 25 birthday.

lemon and lime slices (and toothpicks) were used for the wheels, white chocolate dipped oreos and mini oreos for the eyes. It was filled with watermelon balls, raspberries, plums, and grapes (the recipe said to fill it with assorted melon balls but my friend is allergic).

Good luck!

I take a string and tie it around the melon and then measure to make sure it's the same height all the way around, then trace the string to make a "line" to follow with the v-shaped cutter. (That way the edge of the basket is level). Haven't done one for a long time, that's the extent of my helpful hints for tonight!

Jolene that is the CUTEST!

I have found that a rubber band tends to stay in place better than string. You could also trace that line with a pencil and remove the rubber band or string. The V-shaped cutter works well to make a simple design.

Thank you all for your help! :thumbup: Cochef, I like your idea of using a rubber band....just wonder if I can find one big enough! Jolene, your race car is awesome! I figured the v-cutter would be the tool to use! My sister-in-laws all decided I was the one to do a watermelon basket for their dad's 80th. surprise birthday....along w/a big banner, etc. (what do they think I am, an art teacher??) ;)

Didn't make it but here is a picture... google it!

Attachments

• Water mellon fruit basket.jpg
    Water mellon fruit basket.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 638
Four or five years ago we had "Show Stoppers" and there was instructions for a watermelon "luminaria." You used the v-shaped cutter to make stars (5 cuts that made your star) on your small round watermelon. You made about 10 stars on your melon. Where you cut the top out (to scoop out your melon) you would flip that over and that would be your flat bottom that you put on top of a small candle or votive. There were also directions for doing a diamond shaped luminaria with a cantaloupe. I did them before I went to my shows and they are so pretty. I am not sure if this information is still on consultants corner. Maybe another consultant has this info in their archives on PC info.
Deb

I have to do this tomorrow...it was almost impossible to find a long oval watermelon!!! Should it be refridgerated before carving??????

Don't need to be refridgerated before carving. I did these all the time as the main "carver" at a resort here. If you do cheese sculptures they need to be cold. Good luck! Wish I had seen this thread sooner. My favorite is a wishing well watermelon. They look really cool. Anyway. Let us know how it turns out

Here is a picture of my daughter's HS graduation watermelon. I got it from a Pillsbury mini cookbook-the kind at the check out stand. I used stick-on numbers-like the ones you use for a mail box, to trace the numbers. Maybe you can check Pills. website. I am sure yours will be beautiful no matter what because it's made with love.:love:
Have a great day!
Deb:)

Attachments

• Graduation & summer 2006 275.jpg
    Graduation & summer 2006 275.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,248
P.S. We did fill it with fruit salad...fresh pineapple, strawberries, apples, bananas, and grapes with an apricot glaze: 1 c. sugar 1 Tbl. cornstarch, and 2 cans (5 1/2 oz. each) apricot nectar and 1 tsp vanilla...cook until thickened. This is the best fruit salad and it is nice for those who don't actually like melons. We served the watermelon separately.
Yummy!
Deb

Have not started the basket yet...it will probably be very plain. :eek: I have been cutting fruit.....should I mix all the fruit together today and keep it in the fridge overnight. Or should I keep it all separate (like I have it now) and mix it tomorrow before filling the basket? I'm gona keep the cut basket in the extra fridge in the basement overnight; should I put fruit mix in it overnight???

Last edited:
zmom58 said:
P.S. We did fill it with fruit salad...fresh pineapple, strawberries, apples, bananas, and grapes with an apricot glaze: 1 c. sugar 1 Tbl. cornstarch, and 2 cans (5 1/2 oz. each) apricot nectar and 1 tsp vanilla...cook until thickened. This is the best fruit salad and it is nice for those who don't actually like melons. We served the watermelon separately.
Yummy!
Deb

That's the same recipe I use! I got it from Taste of Home several years ago. I have found that I can cut the sugar in half, and it is still just as good.:chef:

Be sure and let the glaze cool completely before mixing with the fruit!

Here's one my mom made:

Attachments

• 100_0755.jpg
    100_0755.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 627
zmom58 said:
Here is a picture of my daughter's HS graduation watermelon. I got it from a Pillsbury mini cookbook-the kind at the check out stand. I used stick-on numbers-like the ones you use for a mail box, to trace the numbers. Maybe you can check Pills. website. I am sure yours will be beautiful no matter what because it's made with love.:love:
Have a great day!
Deb:)
WoW! looks great :thumbup:

Chef Becky D,
Yes, my recipe is from TOH mag. Thanks for the reminder to cool the apricot glaze. I spaced that small detail. It is from TOH July 2000. Also, forgot...you add the vanilla after your glaze has thickened, then you chill it while you cut your fruit. Here's the proportions of fruit: 6 large red apples, cut, 8 firm bananas sliced, 1 p/a chunked, 1 qt fresh strawberries-quartered, and 2 c. green grapes. You can adjust the fruit to your liking too.
Deb

The big 80th. BD party for DH's dad is over...a very long day and of course we forgot our camera so no pic. of the watermelon basket. But everyone loved it. Thanks to everyone for their input. I appreciate how sharing and helpful you all are!;)

1. How do I choose a ripe watermelon for making a watermelon basket?

When selecting a watermelon, look for one that is heavy for its size and has a yellowish spot on one side. This spot indicates that the watermelon sat on the ground and ripened in the sun, making it sweeter and juicier.

2. Do I need any special tools to make a watermelon basket?

While there are specific tools designed for carving watermelons, a sharp knife and a melon baller are all you need to make a watermelon basket. You can also use a vegetable peeler for more intricate designs.

3. How do I prevent the watermelon basket from leaking?

Before carving your watermelon, place it on a paper towel or cutting board to catch any excess juices. Once you have removed the seeds and flesh, use a clean towel to pat the inside of the basket dry. This will help prevent any leaks.

4. Can I use other fruits to fill the watermelon basket?

Absolutely! You can use a variety of fruits such as berries, grapes, and pineapple to fill your watermelon basket. You can also add in some cheese cubes or mini marshmallows for a fun twist.

5. How long will a watermelon basket stay fresh?

If stored in the refrigerator, a watermelon basket can last up to 2-3 days. However, for the freshest taste, it is best to enjoy it within 24 hours of making it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
CRuff
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Products and Tips
Replies