• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried cooking a ham in the DCB?

In summary, Paula successfully cooked a ham in her Pampered Chef roasting pan. She used a glaze made of apple juice, honey, brown sugar, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. She recommends using a pre-cooked cottage roll as a substitute for a bone-in ham.
Blueskychef
I'm what you might call a newbie with the DCB, but I have tried the 30-min Chicken, the tenderloin and the fajitas, to grand success. I'm hosting my first family Easter gathering and I'd love to try do a ham in the DCB -- I've got the recipe for the glaze, but was unsure how long to cook it and whether it should go in the microwave or the oven...I'm in puffy hearts with my DCB and want to show it off this easter!

Anyone have any success with this? Should I give it a try?

I have cooked one of those already sliced hams that basically just need to be heated in it in my Oven but not a ham that needs cooking all the way. It turned out great. I am sure a ham would do nicely.

I would do it in the oven...

My only concern is that I think you usually cook it on a rack -- is that essential? I'd love to know if it works well for a ham -- I LOVE my DCB!!

I think it will be just fine in your oven, or even the microwave. My only concern would be, will it fit in the baker? I guess our hams are usually just too big!! Then, it's the roasting pan!! lol

Good luck!
Paula

The one I made last year was way too big for the DCB, I used our roasting pan. Here is the recipe- it was the best I have ever had!

The Best Baked Ham in the World

Courtesy of Nolan Gilbert, Montomery, Alabama
Printed in Taste of the South Spring 2007 issue

1 (8-10 #) bone-in, shank-portion ham
2 (46 oz) cans pineapple juice (I used one pineapple and one mango-pineapple!!)
¼ cup plus 2 T. brown sugar, divided
1/3 cup honey
1 T. prepared yellow mustard (I used spicy brown mustard!)
1 ½ t. Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus Blend (This was not in the recipe, but I added it since Honeybaked Hams have something similar in their topping!)
Garnish: canned pineapple slices (I left these off, my family and I don’t eat them anyhow!)

~Place ham (skinny side down!) in a large stockpot and add enough pineapple juice to cover 2/3 of the ham. Add ¼ c. brown sugar. Bring mixture to a rolling boil over medium-high heat on stovetop; cook for 15 minutes. Turn ham over and continue to boil for 15 minutes longer.

~Remove from heat and let ham cool in the juice mixture for 1 hour.

~Preheat oven to 350

~Place ham in a The Pampered Chef roasting pan using the rack (spritz with veg. oil using the Kitchen Spritzer) and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until internal temp reaches 160, or for approximately 30 minutes per pound (4 hours for an 8# ham) **I had a 10# ham so it should have taken 5 hours in the oven…it only took 2.5 hours!

~In a small sauce pan (I did mine in a prep bowl in the microwave while the ham was baking…the sugar dissolved but by the time I went to baste it onto the ham it was thick and easy to baste without running off of the ham!) combine honey, mustard, and remaining 2 T. brown sugar and bring to a boil over med-low heat on stovetop to melt sugar.

~Remove ham from oven and glaze with honey mixture using about ½ of it. Return ham to oven, uncovered, and bake for 10 minutes.

~Remove ham again and garnish with pineapple slices (using toothpicks to adhere them if necessary) Glaze ham with remaining glaze and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.

~Let ham cool before slicing. (I covered mine with the foil again and let it sit on top of the stove for about an hour and it was still very warm when we ate it!)

Thanks for all those great replies and recipes! I was thinking of doing two small pre-cooked cottage rolls in the DCB rather than a bone-in ham. I *think* two would fit, but I just eyeballed it this morning. I've never done a big bone-in ham before, but I would imagine there's no substitute for the real thing. Decisions, decisions.:confused:

Update!Hi folks -- thanks for your feedback! I ended up getting a large boneless ham that *just* fit the DCB, and cooked it for 3 hours in the oven, uncovered. Here was the glaze I used:

2 inches of apple juice
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsps liquid smoke flavouring (so glad I was able to find this in my supermarket -- added SO much flavour!)
2 tbsps Worcestershine sauce
1 pinch cloves

Made a hearty, smoky, scrumptous ham that I'll definitely make again!

1. Can I use any type of ham in the Deep Covered Baker?

Yes, any type of ham can be used in the Deep Covered Baker. However, keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the size and type of ham.

2. Do I need to add any liquid when cooking a ham in the Deep Covered Baker?

No, the ham will produce its own juices while cooking in the Deep Covered Baker. There is no need to add any additional liquid.

3. How long does it take to cook a ham in the Deep Covered Baker?

The cooking time for a ham in the Deep Covered Baker will depend on the size and type of ham. A general rule of thumb is to cook for 15-20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Can I add other ingredients or seasonings to the ham while cooking in the Deep Covered Baker?

Yes, you can add other ingredients or seasonings to the ham before cooking in the Deep Covered Baker. This can add extra flavor to the ham and create a delicious glaze.

5. Can I use the Deep Covered Baker to cook a spiral-cut ham?

Yes, the Deep Covered Baker can be used to cook a spiral-cut ham. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time and temperature according to the instructions on the ham packaging.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emo812
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • FromMaria'sKitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • K.Shaffer