• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried Chicken Tortilla Casserole? Any tips or feedback?

In summary, a consultant is considering making a chicken tortilla casserole at a show, but is hesitant because she has never made it before. Other consultants offer tips and modifications for the recipe, and overall the dish receives positive reviews from those who have made it. The recipe is featured in the S/S Seasons Best cookbook.
jrstephens
DO you all like this? Any pros and cons or tips?

I have a host that wants to make it at her show on the 28th. I have nevr made it and do not like making things at shows I have not tried. I will probably get the ingredient when I buy groceries tomorrow and try it.

My family loves this and I have made it at home a few times but never at a show. I am not sure if I personally would do it at a show, but that is me.

merego said:
My family loves this and I have made it at home a few times but never at a show. I am not sure if I personally would do it at a show, but that is me.

Well that doesn't make me feel any better, thanks!! HAHA!!!

Why would u not do it so I can addresss these issues in my head?

sorry :(
it was the slicing of the poblano peppers that I woudn't want to do at a show. I could do them before hand I suppose. I hate to deal with cutting up chicken at shows, that is why. also the parchment paper and tucking the corners, for a show that just doesn't seem too easy to me. It is very yummy though.

Well, I will definitely be making this at home first soon to make sure I want to do it at a show then. This is why I cannot make anyting at a show I have not tried.

I hear ya, I will do the 30 minute chicken b/c it is a whole chicken, but no one ever wants that show. I usually do appetizers or a trifle/dessert. When I do the jerk chicken nachos, I buy the diced chicken and pre-chop most of it then do a demo in the chopper with just a little bit of it.

The recipe is soooo good, it just for me would be hard to do for a show, still be new.

I liked it but thought it was a little dry.

When I made it I just used onion instead of the peppers. The first time I made it I didn't like it, but then I did make it at a show. I mixed all the ingredients together and baked it in the Deep Covered Baker instead of using the parchment paper. All my guests loved it.

I used green pepper and onions. (Once I found a poblano and tossed it in, but the texture was off.)I make it in the DCB, use the biggest thing of salsa I can find, and toss in a can of corn with the beans.I can toss it together in less than 15 minutes.

is this the recipe that is similar to the tamale verde skillet from SB F/W 07? B/c that recipe is so good. (the one in SB.) haven't tried the chicken tortilla casserole yet but I just got the cookbook & it is on my list of recipes to try soon.

I made it for our Cluster Meeting Monday night.

Instead of the poblano pepper, I used a can of the green chiles.
Instead of the Deep Dish Baker, I used the Oval Baker - my microwave is not wide enough to accomodate the DDB and it doesn't have a turn table so I didn't have to worry about the OB having to turn. I did not turn it half way through cooking either.
I felt it had a little too much chip (dried it out) so I added additional salsa prior to topping with cheese.

It was FANTASTIC! A great summer recipe to keep the kitchen temperature down and the ease of cooking a "real meal" for the family inspired.
I encourage all to try. I am a picky eater and even I liked it.

Happy Selling,
Rita

I make it in the DCB in the microwave, and ditch the parchment paper. I like the ideas about using a small can of green chiles instead of the poblano pepper. That would save you some cutting prep time. I don't think it would be hard for a demo at all. It tastes great, and is an awesome way to show off the DCB for summertime microwave cooking.

Which cookbook is it in?

jrstephens said:
S/S Seasons Best

LMAO - so now EVERYONE knows how often I look at that book. How pathetic am I? I read it through twice in March, chose my favorite recipe or two and haven't looked at it since! PLUS I have severe Mommy brain and brain overload to boot! :eek::rolleyes::blushing:

kcjodih said:
LMAO - so now EVERYONE knows how often I look at that book. How pathetic am I? I read it through twice in March, chose my favorite recipe or two and haven't looked at it since! PLUS I have severe Mommy brain and brain overload to boot! :eek::rolleyes::blushing:

Totally understandable!! The only reason I looked at it recently is b/c I wanted a QUICK recipe for my first show after starting back after having Cole.

??... When you all have done it, was it cruchy with the chips or soggy? The first time I actually did it at home and baked it, it came out fine. The 2nd time I did it at a show and did the micro version... but it came out crunchy and it didn't seem right or raw I guess?? Should it be cruchy in texture?

Ok, first off LOVE this recipe - secondly I've done it at several shows and it's always a HUGE hit!!! Here's how I've modified the recipe (as others on CS have done):
use an onion - not poblano
use 2 chicken breasts - not thighs or legs
add a can or corn

I bring 2 cutting boards with me so that I don't have a problem with the chicken "juices". I just dice up the chicken breasts, dice the onion, add the Southwest and nuke it. Then, I mix the beans, salsa and corn in the large BB. Add that to the chicken and nuke it for like 2 minutes. Then add the broken up chips and cheese and nuke for another 2 minutes. I serve it with extra salsa and sour cream. And with adding the chips and cheese at the end, they chips aren't quite as soggy and the cheese is more "melty". This is an awesome demo because of all of the tools that you can use, especially the DCB and not to mention, that truly, it can be done (if you don't talk much) in 15 minutes or less.
I'm doing an "all microwave dinner and dessert" show on Saturday and we are doing this recipe along with the microwave triple chocolate cake in the fluted stone. Makes for a great demo and awesome selling points!!! DO IT MAN - or should I have said WOMAN!!!! :D

oh. this is so not the recipe I thought you meant. :( I was thinking of the one in 29 Minutes to Dinner. Now I'll have to look up the one you're talking about. Wonder why I didn't remember it!?!

Do the Season's Best recipies appear in other books as well?

Di_Can_Cook said:

They have in the past. Touchdown Taco Dip was in an old Stoneware Cookbook, several (many) of the recipes in All The Best have also been in Season's Best....

Di_Can_Cook said:

You can pull them up on CC also.

I wish I'd seen all these posts before I'd bought my ingredients to make this tonight. I had never seen a poblano before and so the produce guy at our local Raley's store said to use this other pepper. (can't remember what it is) He said it's not spicy at all. (Good, DH hates spicy food, consequently I never fix Mexican unless he's working late, but now that I have to start practicing some recipes he's going to go hungry or troll through the fridge for some leftovers!)

Anywho, on second thought, I guess it's okay I didn't read all the adjustments you guys have made first, because I like to make the recipe exactly like it's listed to start with, just to see if the test kitchen has designed it yummy.

hollye44 said:
I make it in the DCB in the microwave, and ditch the parchment paper.

Same here, and sometimes sub Ortega peppers, or whatever is in the garden.

Tasty!

I tried it at a show last night and it was a huge hit. The host is now thinking about getting a DCB. Everyone talked about how good it was.

I did not realize how big a pablona pepper is! I did not use much of it b/c I was afraid it would be too hot.

I think it would taste good with sour cream added to it. It seemed a little dry to me.

The reason you are supposed to use chicken thighs is because they are juicer (more fat in dark meat). I tend to leave the chicken in chunks (big bite size). This is ALWAYS a HUGE hit and depending on the crowd (some people are cheap) I usually sell one to two DCB at FULL price! Make sure you use gloves for the pablono pepper. My skin burned for hours after cutting one up and getting in contact with the seeds. I have very dry skin and eczema so it was killing me. Chips work better if they are broken coarsely not too fine. That way it doesn't absorb too much of the moisture. Also, the hosts usually get an extra 1/2 lb. of chicken and that really makes it more meaty. I LOVE this recipe!!!

This recipe sounds soooo good and it is definitely not on my diet... darn it! I need to quit reading the threads that have yummy sounding food in the title - does not help me at all! :)

smspamperedchef said:
The reason you are supposed to use chicken thighs is because they are juicer (more fat in dark meat). I tend to leave the chicken in chunks (big bite size). This is ALWAYS a HUGE hit and depending on the crowd (some people are cheap) I usually sell one to two DCB at FULL price! Make sure you use gloves for the pablono pepper. My skin burned for hours after cutting one up and getting in contact with the seeds. I have very dry skin and eczema so it was killing me. Chips work better if they are broken coarsely not too fine. That way it doesn't absorb too much of the moisture. Also, the hosts usually get an extra 1/2 lb. of chicken and that really makes it more meaty. I LOVE this recipe!!!

My host bought breasts and I did not think about that being one thing that made it a little dry.

I made this at my show on Friday and used a can of chili's instead of the pepper. Everyone loved it and it makes a big dish. I used the DCB and turned out great. I will definately be cooking this alot at home for my family. It is easy and quick, and doesn't heat up my house.

I use chicken breasts instead of thighs, and it really helps with the texture. We love this recipe ... hmmm... maybe that will go on my meal list for next week! :)

Related to Have you tried Chicken Tortilla Casserole? Any tips or feedback?

1. What is Chicken Tortilla Casserole?

Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a popular Mexican-inspired dish made with layers of tortillas, chicken, cheese, and a variety of other ingredients such as beans, corn, and peppers. It is typically baked in the oven and served as a hearty and flavorful meal.

2. What are some tips for making Chicken Tortilla Casserole?

Some tips for making Chicken Tortilla Casserole include using a combination of spices such as cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to enhance the flavor, pre-cooking the chicken to ensure it is fully cooked and tender, and adding a layer of crushed tortilla chips on top for added crunch.

3. Have you personally tried Chicken Tortilla Casserole?

Yes, I have tried Chicken Tortilla Casserole and I enjoy it. It is a tasty and easy-to-make dish that can be customized with different ingredients to suit individual preferences.

4. What are the pros and cons of making Chicken Tortilla Casserole at a show?

The pros of making Chicken Tortilla Casserole at a show are that it is a crowd-pleasing dish that can be prepared in advance, allowing the host to focus on interacting with guests. However, the cons are that it may require a longer cooking time, and the host may not have time to try the dish beforehand to ensure it turns out well.

5. Do you have any feedback or suggestions for making Chicken Tortilla Casserole?

My suggestion would be to add some salsa or diced tomatoes to the casserole for added flavor and moisture. Also, consider serving it with a side of guacamole or sour cream for a delicious topping. Overall, have fun experimenting with different ingredients and make it your own!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tabnat80
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
Replies
Views
mpkegley
  • cathyskitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies