• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chicken Tortilla Casserole Question

sorry, but if I couldn't find my poblano peppers where you all live I'd have to move. how do ya'll make chili rellenos?? :)
tabnat80
Gold Member
On the chicken tortilla casserole it calls for a poblano pepper. Has anyone tried it without it. I was just wondering if you could even taste it since it's got the salsa in it. I was just going to get one today at the grocery store, but they didn't look fresh.

I did it without one. Instead I just sliced up a red pepper and some onion (or does it already call for the onion??) and laid it on the bottom of the Deep Dish Baker then put the chicken on top. Yummy!!!

Prettu much any pepper will do. The spicier the pepper, the spicier the chikcen

I used an onion on the bottom too, I couldn't find any of those peppers!

I wonder if I put some jalapeanos in there if that would work? I'm planning on making this tonight and thought that it might work. Also, how may should I put in there? Also, what sides do you serve to go with this for the family?
Corn?? Whatelse?

I did it without the peppers at all, because of my boys. It was great.

Thanks for this thread. I looked for the peppers at the store on SAturday and they didn't carry them. Now I can prepare it with an alternate ingredient.

Chips, guac
mexican rice
refried beans

I thought it was fine without any sides at all ...I think if I am going to do it again, I will:
* Put the peppers and onions in the food chopper instead of slicing them ... IMHO, this recipe doesn't use enough tools that I have ... I don't have the PC collander or the can strainer or the can opener .... so I'd have to bring the beans pre-washed.
• Use a jalepeno in additon to the bell pepper and onion.
• Use a bigger jar of MEDIUM salsa instead of mild.
• Add a can of corn.Got a bag of lightly sorted tortilla chips that were pretty broken up. I didn't mind because this was the real purpose of the chips.

Thanks for all the input. I didn't get to make it last night. DS came down with a stomach virus. I may try it tonight.

I made this last night and used an onion 'cuz this ain't the time of year for pablanos!! Plus, that adds more heat. Anyway, I added the can of corn too as mentioned in another thread, 3 chicken breasts and I only had 3/4 c. of reg. (Pace) salsa on hand, so I used another 3/4 c. of Harry & David's garlic salsa - can you say YUMMMMO!!! Even my 2-year old son liked it!!! I think I'll add more cheese next time (it's sort-of like chocolate, can you ever have enough?) to make it even yummier! A+++++ on this recipe!! Oh, and I did it in the Deep Covered Baker with the lid and it was really full. I can't imagine doing this in the deep dish baker - I wouldn't think you'd have enough room to stir everything around. I think it took me a total of 13 minutes from start to finish. So cool!!! :D

I made this for our cluster meeting and added the onions and a yellow pepper on the bottom after reading this. (No poblanos here either!) I also added about 1/2 can of green chilies on the bottom. It was very mild and I think I'll add something more to spice it up when I do it at home. I'll have to try the corn too. It was very good and so easy, I loved it!

I made the recipe for the first time last week at a party. The host found the pob. Pepper. It was very good. I found them in Super Walmart and they looked very fresh to me. I made it at home later and when we had the leftovers the next day, the "heat" from the peppers was more noticable.

I made it using chix breasts without the poblano and it was good. DD thought it needed more cheese. I like the suggestions posted on the variations. I don't have the deep dish baker so I used the stoneware fluted pan. I didn't flip it out, just scooped from the pan. Maybe next time with more cheese to hold it together I'll try to flip it out. I'm planning on serving this at my spring fling open house.

does anyone know if this can be made in the DCB instead of the DDB??

Sorry, but if I couldn't find my poblano peppers where you all live I'd have to move. how do ya'll make chili rellenos?? :)

Teresa Lynn said:
Sorry, but if I couldn't find my poblano peppers where you all live I'd have to move. how do ya'll make chili rellenos?? :)

LOL! The short answer would be - we don't!

Are you feeling any better Teresa?

Maybe you just don't know what they look like :)Yes, I'm starting to be myself again.
We are beginning a master bathroom remodel & I woke up in the night feeling like I was going to throw up woke up DH thinking I was going to be sick & he said stop worrying, just make sure you're getting everything done you want now, so we don't have to live thru it again.

Teresa Lynn said:
Maybe you just don't know what they look like :)

Yes, I'm starting to be myself again.
We are beginning a master bathroom remodel & I woke up in the night feeling like I was going to throw up woke up DH thinking I was going to be sick & he said stop worrying, just make sure you're getting everything done you want now, so we don't have to live thru it again.

I know what they look like - just a different style of cooking up here in the frozen north. Whenever I need a jalapeno or other pepper for a demo, I buy it myself - because although I may know what they look like, most people up here don't. Plus, a lot of the grocery stores just throw their peppers in a bin together, and they aren't labeled well,and people would have to guess at what kind of pepper they were getting.....and I have had more than one host pull out a green bell pepper, and say "will this be okay? I didn't know what the other ones were."

I refer to it as part of the "Limited Dutch Palate".

Trust me, I understand. I grew up in very rural Iowa and didn't know what guacamole was until I moved to Dallas 20 years ago.But, you mid westerners still have the BEST chip dip & cottage cheese
when we go to Iowa or family comes here we load a large cooler with Anderson Erickson chip dip and cottage cheese.The Kraft brand is congealed & fake tasting and I've tried a few other brands that are a little better so when i want good dip I use New Canaan Farms mix

I had the other problem - had a host thinking she was buying a jalapeno and bought a habanero instead - OUCH! In those Caribbean Meat Pastires, we used it, but - oww. I also had chopped it to a teeny mince so as to distribute the heat throughout the dish.

Moral of the story: buy your own spicy peppers.

elizabethfox said:
does anyone know if this can be made in the DCB instead of the DDB??
I used the DCB - and honestly, I don't see how it would fit in the DDB because you need to stir, etc. Plus, it's got a lid!

c00p said:
I used the DCB - and honestly, I don't see how it would fit in the DDB because you need to stir, etc. Plus, it's got a lid!

Thanks! Now I have to give it a try!

tabnat80 said:
I wonder if I put some jalapeanos in there if that would work? I'm planning on making this tonight and thought that it might work. Also, how may should I put in there? Also, what sides do you serve to go with this for the family?
Corn?? Whatelse?

I am making a mexican sweet corn bread to go with ours tonight!

Does anyone know how long to bake this and at what temp if you are preparing it in the oven instead of the micro??

Related to Chicken Tortilla Casserole Question

What are the ingredients for the Chicken Tortilla Casserole?

The ingredients for the Chicken Tortilla Casserole are cooked chicken, black beans, corn, salsa, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and chicken broth.

Can I use a substitute for chicken in this recipe?

Yes, you can use any protein of your choice such as ground beef, shredded pork, or tofu.

How long does it take to prepare and cook the Chicken Tortilla Casserole?

The total preparation and cooking time for this recipe is approximately 45 minutes.

Can I make this casserole ahead of time and reheat it?

Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. You may need to add a few minutes to the baking time if the casserole is cold when going into the oven.

Is this recipe gluten-free?

Yes, this recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free tortilla chips and ensuring all other ingredients are also gluten-free.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mpkegley
  • cathyskitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedval
Replies
Views
Staci