• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Seen the Latest Kitchen Gadget - Finger Guard?

L
ltkacz
Am I the only person who thinks that this is completely ridiculous?

When using a knife, you should always fold her fingers over/crunch them up on the part you are holding to avoid cutting your fingers.

I thought it was kind of a funny idea but there are people who maybe knife clutzy and need it!?

Should is the key word. Since many people don't protect their fingers, I actually think this is going to be a popular (at least talked about) item. Many people are scared to chop quickly b/c they KNOW that they'll cut themselves. Sounds like you are good with a knife though.

Nope, I'm not too fond if it either. I tried it on in the new products room and it seemed weird to me. But then...I wasn't crazy about the Decorator bottles either and they were a huge hit, so ya never know!

Actually, I think this could be a big seller for all of us. I know I thought the mix-n-chop was a lame idea and couldnt' see why you'd need a salad chopper if you had a set of kitchen shears and a food chopper! I was wrong big time on both of those!

Since we all have hosts and guests (and consultants) who won't read or do things they are suppose to, the same applies to being safe in the kitchen. Like the other post said "should" is the operative word. People will probably buy it just because it is an affordable way to (at least try to) avoid injury.

Jules711 said:
Should is the key word. Since many people don't protect their fingers, I actually think this is going to be a popular (at least talked about) item. Many people are scared to chop quickly b/c they KNOW that they'll cut themselves. Sounds like you are good with a knife though.

I am one of those people! I can't wait to get it because I can't fold my fingers under and hold the food at the same time. My hand just won't work that way! I was going to buy it but I earned it in SAT 1. I can't wait to try it out, I may hate it but I will try it first.

bethsbiz said:
I know I thought the mix-n-chop was a lame idea.... QUOTE]

I think that is a lazy tool, but I have sold the most of them!! Everyone I talk to that have them, they love it! I don't have one in my TTA.

pamperedlinda said:
Nope, I'm not too fond if it either. I tried it on in the new products room and it seemed weird to me. But then...I wasn't crazy about the Decorator bottles either and they were a huge hit, so ya never know!
LOL, I totally thought the Decroator bottle sets were not going to be a seller and what do ya know!

I have a hard time getting my fingers to stay "curled", so I'm definitely looking forward to this item!! I know a lot of people who aren't used to holding their fingers this way, and I plan on selling a lot of them to the people who purchase the forged cutlery (b/c they're so sharp) - but anyone who uses a knife and isn't able to use the correct "technique" with their holding hand will want one of these (maybe two!). :)

I think I'll mention the knife guard as an add on item that is great for ppl to help their kids learn to use knives in the kitchen... using the idea of quality time spent with your child etc... I don't forsee myself using it but I'm sure there will be those who do... and I was in Kitchen Collections the other day and they sell a similar one for more money so there MUST be some kind of demand for them.

My mother in law and brother in law are getting this for Christmas! THEY NEED IT. My brother in law cut his fingers just by reaching into the drawer with knives. Great idea!

vwpamperedchef said:
My mother in law and brother in law are getting this for Christmas! THEY NEED IT. My brother in law cut his fingers just by reaching into the drawer with knives. Great idea!

This just reminded me that I should show it to one of my DH's coworkers! Her husband cut a big part of his finger with one of our forged cutlery.

I told my hubby about it and her thinks it will be one of our big sellers - He wnts one himself. Not only does it protect your fingers but if ou notice the bottom it has a wvedd pattern that will help hold the food while chopping and slicing

cathyskitchen said:
I have a hard time getting my fingers to stay "curled", so I'm definitely looking forward to this item!! I know a lot of people who aren't used to holding their fingers this way, and I plan on selling a lot of them to the people who purchase the forged cutlery (b/c they're so sharp) - but anyone who uses a knife and isn't able to use the correct "technique" with their holding hand will want one of these (maybe two!). :)

I so agree with this! Went to The Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, NY for training associated with a course I was going to help teach. Professional chefs spend their first several WEEKS on knife skills. Knowing this, I try to follow the proper cutting technique...but I too find it hard to feel comfortable with this. The forged cutlery is a professional type tool that is brought to kitchens of our customers...not trained professionals. I think that this will sell quite well.

The Mix and Chop sells itself. The picture in the catalog sells this product. I have only started in the last few months even bringing it to shows and I sell no less than 10 + a month!

I do not culr my fingers good either but I think this will take A LOT to get use to for me to use it. We will see though. I am not at all excited about it but since i am earning it for FREE, I will try it. It is not something that I would buy. Guess it will be like the Ultimate Mandolin - practice, practice, practice!:D :mad:

cathyskitchen said:
I have a hard time getting my fingers to stay "curled", so I'm definitely looking forward to this item!!

Me too!!!!

i cant curl my fingers, never knew i had to actually ... i wanted it the second i saw it and will definately get one for my mom, she is always cutting her self!

i hate the mix n chop .. i cant get used to it and think its harder to use than its supposed to be .. probably a fault of my own!

I'm glad I'm not alone in the fact that I can't curl my fingers right either! I think it'll be a fun gadget.

I have a friend that will be getting this in her holiday presents. I'll also probably get one for my husband, I cringe when he uses knives, I've tried to show him the safe way but it is beyond him. I think this is going to be a big seller.

I totally agree, its gonna be big....my July 1st host called me yesterday & told me she took a good chunk off her thumb....& she was using the self sharpening utility knife..:eek: . I told her about this & I think shes getting 1 for ALL her friends!!!:cool:

I can see for some how this might be something they would want....but for myself - I can't see taking the time to put this on.....I'm a fast slicer/dicer/cutter anyway, and don't have any problem with knives......in fact, I (gasp!) prefer my knives over the Chopper for most things. (I like a uniform chop/dice.;) )

I never even knew that you were supposed to curl your fingers! :eek: It takes me so long to cut things, maybe that's why? I think the Finger Guard is a great idea. Perfect for people like me! ;) I'm hoping it will make me look like less of a rookie!

ChefBeckyD said:
I can see for some how this might be something they would want....but for myself - I can't see taking the time to put this on.....I'm a fast slicer/dicer/cutter anyway, and don't have any problem with knives......in fact, I (gasp!) prefer my knives over the Chopper for most things. (I like a uniform chop/dice.;) )

I use my knife over my FC too! In fact, I normally only use the FC at shows, or at home for nuts or oreos! (I do NOT tell customers this, though, since so many people LOVE the FC and use it for almost everything!)

I just found my food chopper buried in a cabinet. I've used it maybe 4 times in the year I've been doing this. I prefer a knife, I find for most things it works better and is just as fast and much easier to clean.

I have never been able to get the curling of the fingers thing, so I am looking forward to trying the finger guard.

I was never taught to curl my fingers, nor was anyone I know, and frankly never remember to do so and it feels awkward. I'm not a professional chef (I'm pampered but not a "pro") so I don't have those fast cutting skills. I've also never cut myself while chopping -- I just don't get that close. However, I've had LOTS of guests tell me about getting cut, so I expect I will sell some of these.

I also think that some people with moderate arthritis (that can't curl their fingers comfortably, but can still slightly bend them enough to use the knife guard) may be big buyers.

I think the finger guard is a great idea. I have low vision and this will be a great tool for me in my own kitchen and at cooking shows.

I think it's a good idea too. However, in my own kitchen, I just can't see myself take the time to get it out of the drawer to cut something up.

I will definately get one for my mom though! She needs one!

I might make some sales of the finger guard to those that bought the Ultimate Slice & Grate.LOL. Hey maybe HO should send all those customers one as an added safety device.

I think this will be a popular item. I've tried to curl my fingers but it's just not habit yet and I still don't cut very fast when I do. I think this will improve my confidence in using my knives and thus my speed. We'll see!

Also...when your fingers are curled, the side of the knife is making contact with your fingers, NOT the tips of them....:D When I was cooking professionally I cut myself quite a few times, before I decided to SLOW down & CURL the fingers....;) :cool: ;)

I learned years ago to curl my fingers when chopping. I share this with people at my shows. However, I know that people don't necessarily do what's best. (I mean, we all know we're supposed to eat right and exercise, but . . . )

I can see this being a huge seller for several reasons:

As someone already mentioned, it would be great for teaching kids knife skills.

It would be great for people with arthritis who can't curl their fingers comfortably.

People who tend to be clumsy with knives will order them for themselves.

I can see lots of these purchased at Christmas for stocking stuffers or as gifts for their accident-prone friends.

Everyone I've mentioned it to has brought up at least 2 names besides themself, of people who "need" this item. With the low price-point, I think it's going to be this season's Mix n Chop. :)

I just saw finger guard this weekend at "Le Gourmet" for $5.99 - hrmf, I thought PC was onto something brand new!! (I also saw gravy strainers - 2 sizes - for $6.99ish and 9.99ish).

Regardless, I think the finger guard will be a big seller. I do wish we had more items under $10. Seems like our products are getting more expensive.

Susan

1. What is the Finger Guard and how does it work?

The Finger Guard is a kitchen gadget designed to protect your fingers while using a knife. It is a small plastic shield that is placed over your fingers, allowing you to safely hold onto the food being cut without risking any cuts or nicks on your fingers.

2. Is the Finger Guard easy to use?

Yes, the Finger Guard is very easy to use. Simply place it over your fingers, ensuring that they are tucked inside the shield, and hold it in place while using a knife. It can be used on either hand and is adjustable to fit different finger sizes.

3. Is the Finger Guard necessary? Can't I just be careful while using a knife?

While it is always important to be cautious when using a knife, accidents can happen even to the most careful cooks. The Finger Guard adds an extra layer of protection and can give you peace of mind while handling sharp knives.

4. Can the Finger Guard be used with any type of knife?

Yes, the Finger Guard can be used with any type of knife, including serrated knives and vegetable peelers. It is also safe to use with both left and right-handed knives.

5. Am I the only person who thinks the Finger Guard is completely ridiculous?

No, you are not the only person who may find the Finger Guard to be unnecessary. However, many customers have found it to be a useful tool in the kitchen, especially for those who are new to cooking or have limited hand mobility.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mike nike
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • kam