• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Ever Been Caught "Regifting?"

from the same store as the year before! He called them up and told them the story. They were VERY nice and said that they were sorry, but that it was not their policy to refund on gift cards. There is nothing wrong with re-gifting as long as it's unused and in the original package. And, of course, if it's something that I truly believe the other person would like.
jrstephens
Rachel Ray had this on her show last week. She had some funny stories from viewers. Once viewer gave her best friend a candle that she had gotten from her coworker. When she got to the party she got worried b/c the coworker was there too. When the friend opened it she got MAD b/c she had given the candle to the coworker!!! It had made full circle!:D

I have never been caught doing this. I do it some but not too often. And when I do, it is normally for kid/baby items.

I haven't done this much. It goes back to "it's the thought that counts". It doesn't matter if someone spends money on a gift for you, it's that they saw it and thought you would enjoy it. That being said, the person that gave the gift to you to begin with saw it and thought of you so I think it is definetly a touchy subject.

Apparently it's another circle of life type thing!:p

I'm with you Jennifer...I've basically done this more with baby items (we got quite a few things for our kids when they were born that we never got to use...). Blankets, outfits with tags still on them, etc. That's funny about the gift going full circle though...I guess that's why I would be nervous as a re-gifter if I did it too much!

I got 3 slow cookers as wedding gifts, & I am regifting them to friends I that are getting married spring '09... & I regift baby items, too :)

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ it.. if you know the other person would like it, why not? :)

WLMcCoy said:
I got 3 slow cookers as wedding gifts, & I am regifting them to friends I that are getting married spring '09... & I regift baby items, too :)

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ it.. if you know the other person would like it, why not? :)

I'm completely with you. I understand that its the thought that counts, but sometimes there's no thought put into it, especially when its like an office drawing names and exchanging gifts. I have re-gifted several times in my adult life and have never gotten caught. A lot of the items I have re-gifted were lotions. I have extremely sensitive skin and can't wear lotions and use bath gels and things, so I regift them for office parties mostly. It saves me money and makes someone else happy... I don't see a problem with it. These days we're all looking to save money, right? ;)

oh and one more thing I"ve done. I have taken a gift back to get a store credit if its not something that I can use and I know that that is where it came from. My mom got my daughter a pair of boots last year for Christmas from Walmart and she got 3 pairs. So since I knew that Mom got hers from Walmart, I took them back and got a store credit and used it on something else for her. I have no problem doing that either...

There's a commercial going right now for the GA Lottery. Two guys are in a break room, and one gives the other a present. The second guy opens the box, and it's full of cash. He looks at it, and then at the first guy and says "This is the same $750,000" I gave you last year!"

I don't see anything wrong with re-gifting as long as it's unused and in the original package. And, of course, if it's something that I truly believe the other person would like. Of course, it's best not to re-gift in the same circle--i.e. give something you've received from your sister to someone you work with; something from someone you worked with could go to someone at church.

My BIL and his wife are VERY materialistic. They email out what I call gift registries at Christmas to everyone that they think should buy them gifts. You are instructed to notify their email contact list when you have purchased a wanted item so that they do not have to do returns. Also, their "registries" are very detailed. You will get the store, color, model #, size, etc. And did I mention that it is always brand name merchandise? If you choose not to purchase a particular item, they let you know that they will accept gift cards, and to what stores/restaurant.

Well prior to their registries, we were often told only the store at which to buy their gifts. So, I bought my BIL a very nice and expensive shirt one year from their chosen store.

Fast forward 2 years, and my DH opens a very nice shirt. He loved it. BUT it was very wrinkled. In fact, he made a comment (once we were home) that "it looks like it has been balled up in the bottom of someone's closet". DUH!! It had been. it was the exact same shirt that I had given my BIL 2 years prior. DH was not the least offended because he liked the shirt. I couldn't believe that he would regift to his own brother. That is tacky!! I think what ticked me off even more, was the fact that they are so greedy about their gifts.

Wait a minute - you're actually buying off a registry?I would buy them whatever I felt like buying and if they said anything about the registry. I would simply say, "What a funny joke that was. Did anyone actually fall for it? Good thing I don't believe you're that greedy."

myinnerchef said:
Wait a minute - you're actually buying off a registry?

I would buy them whatever I felt like buying and if they said anything about the registry. I would simply say, "What a funny joke that was. Did anyone actually fall for it? Good thing I don't believe you're that greedy."

ooooh, I like the way you think!! :p

amy07 said:
My BIL and his wife are VERY materialistic. They email out what I call gift registries at Christmas to everyone that they think should buy them gifts. You are instructed to notify their email contact list when you have purchased a wanted item so that they do not have to do returns. Also, their "registries" are very detailed. You will get the store, color, model #, size, etc. And did I mention that it is always brand name merchandise? If you choose not to purchase a particular item, they let you know that they will accept gift cards, and to what stores/restaurant.

Well prior to their registries, we were often told only the store at which to buy their gifts. So, I bought my BIL a very nice and expensive shirt one year from their chosen store.

Fast forward 2 years, and my DH opens a very nice shirt. He loved it. BUT it was very wrinkled. In fact, he made a comment (once we were home) that "it looks like it has been balled up in the bottom of someone's closet". DUH!! It had been. it was the exact same shirt that I had given my BIL 2 years prior. DH was not the least offended because he liked the shirt. I couldn't believe that he would regift to his own brother. That is tacky!! I think what ticked me off even more, was the fact that they are so greedy about their gifts.

Wow, I would make a donation to some sort of charitable organization and enclose the donation card from the organization with a note of what Christmas is all about.

amy07 said:

I am just speechless about the "registry." I could not imagine giving that out to everyone. My parents and hubby, yes, but not anyone else!! OMG!

ughubug said:
with a note of what Christmas is all about.

I agree !

I can't imagine coming up with an entire list to make a "registry". People say - what do you want for Christmas. I can't ever think of anything. There is nothing I really need and, of course, I will see things in a store and think I'd like to have it, but nothing I remember to tell anyone. I would personally prefer that we get gift cards to restaurants because we like to go out every Sunday for a late lunch, early dinner type meal. Of course then my In-Laws say "we don't think that is a proper gift" and then give us something totally off the wall that we usually wish we could regift but don't have anyone to give it to! Go figure.

The Furry Guy and I actually keep a list of things to put on our Christmas wish list. You know how it is. It's April. You're browsing the mall (or Menards, or Walmart . . .). You come across something that you think, "Wow, that would make a good Christmas gift for me/us." Chances are good that you won't remember that item when people ask for ideas. I have a section of my organizer specifically for wish lists. I write those items down (plus where to find them and how much they cost).I also use that section for those things that make us say, "That would make a great gift for . . ." Unless, of course, we buy the item right then to put back for Christmas.

I have a friend, Dawn, who buys most of her presents from rummage sales. One year at my then 4 year old daughter's birthday party, Dawn gave Elyse a Barbie pop up tent. Dawn had bought it from a friend of mine, Julie, who also happened to be at the birthday party. Prior to the party, Dawn and Julie didn't know each other - Dawn just happened to be at Julie's rummage. When Elyse opened the present, Julie's daughter, Ashley, exclaimed that it was her pop up tent. Julie tried to tell her it wasn't (Julie did one of those "I don't know what happened to your tent, honey, you must've misplaced it" replies), but Ashley flipped the tent over and her initials were on the bottom of it. It was a rather awkward moment!

I have regifted. I used to teach, so my "regifts" were usually candles, lotion/bath sets or gift cards I had got from my students. You would be surprised just how many of those a teacher already has stashed somewhere in a closet.

I have also been a victim of regifting...in a round-about way. My MIL collects snowmen. One Christmas we got her a snowman cookie jar. It was so cute & I thought she would just love it. So a year goes by & guess what my husband's sister gets from my MIL??? Yep - the VERY same cookie jar we had given her!!! :eek:

We do have a re-gifting tradition in my family that goes back around 20 years. When my grandmother died, her daughters divided her possessions among family members they thought would appreciate them best. When it came to Grandma's tacky decorative Pope plate (in commemoration of the Polish Pope - John Paul II - visit to Chicago), they were stumped. One of my aunts took it and then passed it on to my mother. It passed from sister to sister each year and then to their daughters. When it came to me, I learned that there are specific rules for the re-gifting. The gift must be disguised so that recipient does not know they are getting it until it is opened and the plate must be displayed prominently in the recipient's home for at least one year. It disappeared once because it went outside the immediate family to an in-law but made a re-appearance a few years later and continues to make the circuit.

I explained the tradition to my SIL when she noticed it in our home and she was so fascinated by it that she hunted down a melamine version of the Pope plate (which she gave me on my next birthday) so that I wouldn't be without one. I serve Christmas cookies on it when she comes over for the holidays. Polish chrusciki and kolaczki, naturally.

Last year my BF asked me for a list, so I did an email screenshots of 7 or 8 things I wanted, he got me each one. I currently kinda know everything I have gotten this year b/c I picked it out so he wants me to list 4 things that I want and he will pick two.
All I can think of is a bigger microwave so I can use my DCB. Then I will give my little microwave to my aunt who doesn't have one b/c she hardly used it and when her's broke, she didn't replace it. Anyhow, my point is about the registries...all I can even think to say is...In the words of Michelle Tanner..."HOW RUDE"!

As far as re-gifting, I don't really normally re-gift. I have a hard time remember who gave me what and when etc. I usually either return it to the store if I know where it was from or give it to my sister or my aunt or someone just to get rid of it, not as a present. My problem is remembering what I have bought people in the past years for gifts. Or remembering if I have bought them anything at all. My one friend, for her b-day I had gotten her a retired Henn crock that she loved, then 2 weeks before her b-day I saw the same one in her house. I went out and bought her another gift and then when I gave her that, she asked me why I got her another present. I didn't know what she meant. Well, I had forgotten that I had already given her the Henn Crock!! DUH!!!

OMG!! A registry. There is no way in he** I would be a part of that nonsence. The nerve.. and then to re-gift something you gave them. I love the comment myinnerchef made.. And I would be sure to let them know they re-gifted... especially if any comments were made. You are way more patient than I am. I always love the "do onto others" saying. This takes the cake!! LOL I have now heard it all!!

i have yet to regift...people know i love gift cards so i am easy. although a friend did tell me i'm hard to buy for... anyway i think i have heard it all with thatgift registry!

I actually made my parents give me a list for Christmas this year (especially since my dad's birthday is three weeks after Christmas...must plan ahead!). Had to practically yank it out of them, but I'd much rather get them something I know they'll appreciate instead of wasting more money on another dust catcher. At least they waited til I asked for a list instead of just writing one out and giving it to me, right?

I want to preface this with, I've re-gifted, but I don't re-gift within same cirlces.

Anyway, I've collected Teddy Bears since the day I was born almost. Even our wedding had a teddy bear theme. We got married in May and our first Christmas together Bill's best friend and his wife gave us these beautiful Christmas Caroler Bears, that stand about 3' and move and are wonderful. We were overwhelmed and felt like to schmucks for giving them a small gift, and I mean small in comparison in price/value. We bring them out each year, have pictures of our girls as they grew with them, etc.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago, and we're visiting them at their new home (which is WOW!) for a Christmas party and they're talking about the "crap" gifts her Mom and Dad give them and how they never really want the things she buys them!! It was like "what was she thinking". (Meanwhile my mom is passed and would love to get just one more Christmas gift from her, anything and I would treasure it always) They were laughing about some of the things she's given them and they say, I think the worst were those Christmas Caroler Bears, just because we had joined a community choir, she thought we'd want some stupid caroling bears in our house, come on, what was she thinking. Well I'm trying to swallow the mouthful of food I had just taken, and I look over at Bill and his mouth is open :eek: and we both were not sure what to do or say, so we said nothing. I did ask, how do they cover when she comes over at Christmas and they are not out, they told her they broke.

Once we got in car, we were still shocked...........we've felt GUILTY for years for not being able to gift in the same way (as much $) as they do and to find out they re-gifted them, just made us so mad. I was more mad about how Dotty (her mom) would feel if she knew they did that. I treasure them more now, as I know Dotty picked them out with love and even if she didn't mean me to have them, I'm loving them!!

Actually it's that time of the year, when I'll be getting my beautiful Christmas Bears out and putting them by fireplace. I still love them, but at least now I don't have the guilt I've had for so long.

What I'm hoping to open sometime soon.....is that Cuckoo clock she got for them on a trip to Switzerland, it's beautiful and they HATE to sound :sing: of it.......Hoping for big box this year, :eek: lol. AM I bad??

Lisa

Some people simply have no tact. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy something that obviously didn't suit their taste, Lisa.As for the registry, it reminds me a bit of some of wish lists from The Furry Guy's family. We consider a wish list to be suggestions for a direction to go when purchasing gifts for us. Other view it as an order and get extremely irritated if you deviate from the list in the slightest. Thankfully, they've stopped exchanging gifts among the siblings, so this is not longer an issue. Some people's children!

Our family has a running joke about a pair of lime green flip flops with a human bite mark out of the toe that's been in the family for about 8 years now & keeps popping up as a gift to someone else ... but everyone knows it's a running joke so no one gets offended.

I normally don't re-gift unless I think it's something that the next person would REALLY want.

My MIL sent some baby stuff out here to Japan last year for our daughter. She sent a pair of baby shoes & matching headband that were REALLY cute, but by the time it arrived, it was too small. I did a diaper cake recently for a friend & used some of the newborn stuff (still in packages) that I had left over for the diaper cake ... including those booties & headband. My friend went crazy over the booties & headband & asked where I got it (since you can't find really cute stuff like that out here on the island). I admitted that it was a re-gift that arrived after it was too small to fit my daughter. She laughed & said she was glad that I got it late so she could have it. She LOVES it! What she didn't know was that EVERYTHING on the diaper cake and in her gift bag was all stuff that I never opened! :D

Lisa/ChefBear said:
I want to preface this with, I've re-gifted, but I don't re-gift within same cirlces.

Anyway, I've collected Teddy Bears since the day I was born almost. Even our wedding had a teddy bear theme. We got married in May and our first Christmas together Bill's best friend and his wife gave us these beautiful Christmas Caroler Bears, that stand about 3' and move and are wonderful. We were overwhelmed and felt like to schmucks for giving them a small gift, and I mean small in comparison in price/value. We bring them out each year, have pictures of our girls as they grew with them, etc.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago, and we're visiting them at their new home (which is WOW!) for a Christmas party and they're talking about the "crap" gifts her Mom and Dad give them and how they never really want the things she buys them!! It was like "what was she thinking". (Meanwhile my mom is passed and would love to get just one more Christmas gift from her, anything and I would treasure it always) They were laughing about some of the things she's given them and they say, I think the worst were those Christmas Caroler Bears, just because we had joined a community choir, she thought we'd want some stupid caroling bears in our house, come on, what was she thinking. Well I'm trying to swallow the mouthful of food I had just taken, and I look over at Bill and his mouth is open :eek: and we both were not sure what to do or say, so we said nothing. I did ask, how do they cover when she comes over at Christmas and they are not out, they told her they broke.

Once we got in car, we were still shocked...........we've felt GUILTY for years for not being able to gift in the same way (as much $) as they do and to find out they re-gifted them, just made us so mad. I was more mad about how Dotty (her mom) would feel if she knew they did that. I treasure them more now, as I know Dotty picked them out with love and even if she didn't mean me to have them, I'm loving them!!

Actually it's that time of the year, when I'll be getting my beautiful Christmas Bears out and putting them by fireplace. I still love them, but at least now I don't have the guilt I've had for so long.

What I'm hoping to open sometime soon.....is that Cuckoo clock she got for them on a trip to Switzerland, it's beautiful and they HATE to sound :sing: of it.......Hoping for big box this year, :eek: lol. AM I bad??

Lisa

Do you think they realized what they had said after you left?

amy07 said:

This is exactly how my stepsister and her husband are. I always ignore what they want on their list and get them what I want. It makes me so mad how they expect others to buy this expensive stuff or just give them a gift card. Now, we don't exchange gifts with them anymore, but my mom still gets them a gift and if she doesn't get what is on their list they will sell it on ebay or at a garage sale at my mom's house.

myinnerchef said:
We do have a re-gifting tradition in my family that goes back around 20 years. When my grandmother died, her daughters divided her possessions among family members they thought would appreciate them best. When it came to Grandma's tacky decorative Pope plate (in commemoration of the Polish Pope - John Paul II - visit to Chicago), they were stumped. One of my aunts took it and then passed it on to my mother. It passed from sister to sister each year and then to their daughters. When it came to me, I learned that there are specific rules for the re-gifting. The gift must be disguised so that recipient does not know they are getting it until it is opened and the plate must be displayed prominently in the recipient's home for at least one year. It disappeared once because it went outside the immediate family to an in-law but made a re-appearance a few years later and continues to make the circuit.

I explained the tradition to my SIL when she noticed it in our home and she was so fascinated by it that she hunted down a melamine version of the Pope plate (which she gave me on my next birthday) so that I wouldn't be without one. I serve Christmas cookies on it when she comes over for the holidays. Polish chrusciki and kolaczki, naturally.

We have a huge senior picture of me that gets passed around every Christmas to a different family member. The year my sister was going through her divorce, I found this huge picture and gave it to her telling her "if you need someone to yell at then feel free to yell at me". We live about an hour away but she could yell at my picture. The next year she wrapped it up and gave it to someone for Christmas and now it just keeps going around.

I "regifted" my wife's aunt one year with her own afagan.. I swiped it from her couch 2 months before christmas. She never noticed that it was gone.. When she opened the gift she exclaimed that she already had an adagan exactly like the one "we" had given her. She then went to look for "hers" she didn't find it. That's when we told her and then gave her her real christmas gift... She didn't believe us till her husband told her he knew I took it 2 months prior.. She said a few choice words to me, then laughed about it.

Personally, I love getting a suggestion list. There are tons of things I "think" people might like, but I don't really know. If I have a list to work from, it is so much easier and way less stress. I like shopping, but not wondering from store to store. I hate shopping for my in-laws, because I never know what to get them, and neither does my DH. A list of things they would like would be GREAT.

I do e-vites for my kids b-day parties and always include clothes sizes, interest in particular things and some specific toys. Guests don't have to buy from the list, but if they don't know what to get, I see it as helpful. The gifts I get from my in-laws are usually way out there, or just not our taste. They might have but a lot of effort into looking, I'm not saying they don't, but I think in the end, they shrug their shoulders and buy what's in front of them at the moment. I WISH they would give us a list of suggestions.

We always re-use gift bags in our family. I refuse to just throw them away. My DH's family has had this plain purple bag going around for years. I think we should write the sender and receiver and date on the bottom of each bag so we can see how it's traveled.

fikibiff said:
I do e-vites for my kids b-day parties and always include clothes sizes, interest in particular things and some specific toys. Guests don't have to buy from the list, but if they don't know what to get, I see it as helpful.

I have thought about doing this each year but never have. Has anyone ever sounded or acted offended b/c you did it? I think it is a great idea but worry about what people will think. I would love this for parties especially if you buy clothes to get the right size.

I doubt they know that we have them, as they NEVER come to our house for Christmas, as we've got kids and it's too small for them. So it doesn't work for them to come to our house.

I just can't imagine, no matter what she buys for them, they find fault with it. They really don't like that clock she went to Switzerland and bought for them and I know how much she spent on special shipping to get them home safely. Her family is from Switzerland and she got this from the village where her family originated from, so again it's a gift that means something and they are "What was she thinking" It just hurts to sit and see people who don't appreciate what they have.

Lisa

Lisa/ChefBear said:
I doubt they know that we have them, as they NEVER come to our house for Christmas, as we've got kids and it's too small for them. So it doesn't work for them to come to our house.

I just can't imagine, no matter what she buys for them, they find fault with it. They really don't like that clock she went to Switzerland and bought for them and I know how much she spent on special shipping to get them home safely. Her family is from Switzerland and she got this from the village where her family originated from, so again it's a gift that means something and they are "What was she thinking" It just hurts to sit and see people who don't appreciate what they have.

Lisa

How do people become so ungrateful?

That is such a sad story - but I'm glad at least one of the gifts is being loved and appreciated by someone!
Maybe you should ask if you can buy the clock!:D

As i was reading this I remebered a video from Americas funniest videos( I believe) a girl was opening a present and when she opened the box there was a card in it to someone else.

nicki25 said:
This is exactly how my stepsister and her husband are. I always ignore what they want on their list and get them what I want. It makes me so mad how they expect others to buy this expensive stuff or just give them a gift card. Now, we don't exchange gifts with them anymore, but my mom still gets them a gift and if she doesn't get what is on their list they will sell it on ebay or at a garage sale at my mom's house.

Do they live in VA?:D:D

Ok, about the "registry". I'm all about giving ideas to anyone who asks. BUT the kicker with their list is that you are expected to buy from it, and to notify others of your purchase too. And it is not suggestions like, "I would love a new wallet that also holds my checkbook", it is "I want a Coach wallet. You can find it online at (insert link here)." OR "we want wood blinds for our home. You can get them at (link). Please note we will need 4, so only purchase if you are getting them all or going in with someone else. (dimensions are included as well as color)
Obviously, sending your parents a list for your children is a little more appropriate than sending to your siblings and friends (and yes they include their friends on their "registry") The SIL has even done this for BIL's b-day. He wanted an xbox 360. She informed everyone that unless they were giving cash to contribute to the cost, gifts were not needed. AND that they would be returned to get the cash because, "that's all he wants".:eek::eek:major spoiled brats:yuck:

colegrovet said:
I "regifted" my wife's aunt one year with her own afagan.. I swiped it from her couch 2 months before christmas. She never noticed that it was gone.. When she opened the gift she exclaimed that she already had an adagan exactly like the one "we" had given her. She then went to look for "hers" she didn't find it. That's when we told her and then gave her her real christmas gift... She didn't believe us till her husband told her he knew I took it 2 months prior.. She said a few choice words to me, then laughed about it.

That made me laugh......hard!!:D:D

It reminds me of a lady I used to work with. She always guessed her gifts. So one year, she gets this incredibly heavy box from her DH. When she opened it, inside was her garden statue, a frog!:confused::confused: She was like, "What is THIS?!?!" and then she noticed that around the frog was a beautiful necklace. Her DH was beaming!! She didn't see that one coming!!:D:D

Where I used to work they had this item that was always regifted, it was a very ugly pink lamp. The lady who started it actually took expired pill samples out of the closet and glued them onto the lamp shade and gave it away. The lamp shade got tossed but the lamp kept going. When you showed up to the party people were looking at you to see what present you brought so you didnt get the lamp. Well the dr I worked for got it one yr and he does very beautiful wood work he made a wooden box and put a note in it say shhh you just got the lamp. He knew everyone would go for the box. Well the girl who opened the box read the note out loud, she got the box and the lamp.

We give my in laws ideas for our children, not that they follow it.

One year, we said they could use PJ's and I gave her their sizes, mind you we have 3 dds..........Fast Forward to Christmas day, they EACH opened 7 boxes with different PJs, :confused: I guess she thought they needed one for every day of the week.

No matter what we suggest, she goes overboard. Or she goes behind our backs and does what she wants anyway, ugh.

We've asked them to cut back this year, NOT looking forward to Christmas with them at all, as to them it's all about the Quantity and how much $ they spend, not about what Christmas is all about, which makes me so sad.

Our kids look forward to them coming to see what they got from them not for just spending time with them. Trying to get kids to think different, but doesn't help when they don't help it along. I couldnt wait to have my grandparents come over or go to their place, but it was to bake with Grandma or tinker with grandpa or just sit and read with them, guess I'm OLD.

Sorry, think I just went off thread here.

Lisa

Hmm, THis is an interesting thread. I have a few things that were given to us last year at work Christmas parties, and I would like regift them, but I don't remember where I got what!As far as family goes, I have some family that buy gift cards for everyone and then look down their noses at us "poor selfish folk" who don't return the same monetary amount. Sometimes it all makes me want to boycott Christmas or at least spend it at a hospital or somewhere where people really understand its meaning and value. :( Anyways!

As i was reading this I remebered a video from Americas funniest videos( I believe) a girl was opening a present and when she opened the box there was a card in it to someone else.

This makes me think of another thing these friends did. They didn't "open" all the way all their wedding gifts.....when they got one crock pot they didn't bother opening any more crock pot boxes, etc.

They re-gifted a fan that someone had given them, or so they thought.

When this other couple opened this fan box, inside was a handmade CUSTOM item to our friends with a note from original gifters.

This was at a shower, and wife was very red :blushing: and stammered, oh I must have grabbed the wrong box. Uh, how do you explain that this gift was still wrapped???

Ugh,

Lisa

My son had a group of friend who kidnapped his two favorite shirts, then gave them to him for Christmas. They did this several years in a row. Their traditional wrapping paper is a Walmart bag. (No other store will do. It must be Walmart.)

Lisa/ChefBear said:
This makes me think of another thing these friends did. They didn't "open" all the way all their wedding gifts.....when they got one crock pot they didn't bother opening any more crock pot boxes, etc.

They re-gifted a fan that someone had given them, or so they thought.

When this other couple opened this fan box, inside was a handmade CUSTOM item to our friends with a note from original gifters.

This was at a shower, and wife was very red :blushing: and stammered, oh I must have grabbed the wrong box. Uh, how do you explain that this gift was still wrapped???

Ugh,

Lisa

Guess she never sent thank you notes either! Can you imagine thanking someone for a fan when they had something made for you!:eek:

amy07 said:
Guess she never sent thank you notes either! Can you imagine thanking someone for a fan when they had something made for you!:eek:

That's what I was thinking too! That is just hilarious!

Sometimes it all makes me want to boycott Christmas or at least spend it at a hospital or somewhere where people really understand its meaning and value. Anyways!

We've talked about doing this, but not sure how extended family would deal with us not doing "normal" Christmas.

I know when Molly was toddler, and she was in hospital right before holidays, we got a visit from a little girl and her family who gave everyone who was in hospital a Ty beanie baby and even gave one to Megan who was there with her sister. We were so touched by them stopping in and they said this was the anniv. of her release from being in for almost a year, so each year they pay it forward and help those who are here now.

Lisa

Lisa, I don't know how old your kids are but perhaps its time you started a new Christmas tradition, like they can't open gifts while Gma/Gpa are there. Tell Gma/Gpa that you are trying to teach them about the virtues (patience and temperance come to mind) and this will also give the kids an opportunity to practice corresponding by writing thank you notes after the relatives have left. Or if they must open presents, they can only open one per hour (or the time period you specify) and they have to spend at least half that time with the gift giver either doing an activity or playing with the gift. That strategy will either cut down on the number of gifts or get the kids more involved with their grandparents - a win/win.

Oh Nana and PopPop would NEVER do that, they want them to open them, enjoy them and eat and then leave. No staying and no quality time or what I consider quality time.

Lisa

Lisa/ChefBear said:
We've talked about doing this, but not sure how extended family would deal with us not doing "normal" Christmas.

I know when Molly was toddler, and she was in hospital right before holidays, we got a visit from a little girl and her family who gave everyone who was in hospital a Ty beanie baby and even gave one to Megan who was there with her sister. We were so touched by them stopping in and they said this was the anniv. of her release from being in for almost a year, so each year they pay it forward and help those who are here now.

Lisa

how wonderful!

<h2>1. What is "regifting"?</h2><p>"Regifting" is the act of giving someone a gift that was originally given to you by someone else. It can also refer to giving a gift that you received but did not want or need.</p><h2>2. Is it considered rude to regift?</h2><p>It can be considered rude if the gift is given without thought or consideration for the recipient. However, if the gift is something that the recipient will genuinely appreciate, regifting can be a thoughtful and economical choice.</p><h2>3. How can I avoid getting caught regifting?</h2><p>To avoid getting caught, it's important to keep track of who gave you the gift and who you are giving it to. Also, make sure to remove any personal notes or tags from the original gift. It's also a good idea to only regift items that are new and in their original packaging.</p><h2>4. What are some good items to regift?</h2><p>Some good items to regift are items that are unopened and in their original packaging, such as kitchen gadgets, candles, or books. It's also a good idea to regift items that are not specific to one person's taste, such as gift cards or home decor.</p><h2>5. Can I regift items from my job?</h2><p>It is not recommended to regift items from your job, especially if it is a direct sales company like Pampered Chef. These items are often personalized or have company branding, making it easy to trace back to the original recipient. It's best to avoid any potential awkwardness or hurt feelings by not regifting items from your job.</p>

Related to Have You Ever Been Caught "Regifting?"

1. What is "regifting"?

"Regifting" is the act of giving someone a gift that was originally given to you by someone else. It can also refer to giving a gift that you received but did not want or need.

2. Is it considered rude to regift?

It can be considered rude if the gift is given without thought or consideration for the recipient. However, if the gift is something that the recipient will genuinely appreciate, regifting can be a thoughtful and economical choice.

3. How can I avoid getting caught regifting?

To avoid getting caught, it's important to keep track of who gave you the gift and who you are giving it to. Also, make sure to remove any personal notes or tags from the original gift. It's also a good idea to only regift items that are new and in their original packaging.

4. What are some good items to regift?

Some good items to regift are items that are unopened and in their original packaging, such as kitchen gadgets, candles, or books. It's also a good idea to regift items that are not specific to one person's taste, such as gift cards or home decor.

5. Can I regift items from my job?

It is not recommended to regift items from your job, especially if it is a direct sales company like Pampered Chef. These items are often personalized or have company branding, making it easy to trace back to the original recipient. It's best to avoid any potential awkwardness or hurt feelings by not regifting items from your job.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
starrmarie
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76