• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilling on Memorial Day: Rain or Shine?

In summary, the forecast calls for rain, but the skies are sunny. We are cooking out, and my Mom and Dad are coming over to help DH get out of the house. We are going to continue the game of RISK and DH will grill out steaks. I am making an Orzo salad and some Greek Roasted Potatoes. DD and I are going to make some home-made bread. We are also having black beans and rice, tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and a salad. Hamburgers, brats, metts, deviled eggs, mac and cheese, fruit, veggies and dip, guacamole and chips. We are meeting friends for a surprise party
myinnerchef
Gold Member
It's Memorial Day - are you cooking outside today?

Forecast calls for rain but our skies are sunny. I may have to change the weather by dragging out my grill.

After the parade in a few hours, DH will be grilling chicken breasts and pineapple, and I'm making Linda's roasted potato salad (in another "what's for dinner" thread). If the weather holds out we'll get a fire going and make some s'mores w/ the neighbors.

We are going BIL & SIL's for a Cookout this evening (all the guys are on our roof again) and I am making my killer Potato Salad, and just made up a new brownie recipe which is smelling absolutely fabulous......don't know if we can wait until this evening to sample them! The guys are telling me they can smell them outside!:chef:

If they taste as good as they smell, I will post the recipe later!

Oh - and I'm taking the hamburger fixings in my Chillzanne Platter!

So:

Hamburgers & Hot Dogs
Potato Salad
Baked Beans
Veggie Tray
Watermelon
Cherry Pie
Brownies
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (secret family recipe, and a family tradition!)

We are cooking out! My Mom & Dad are coming over in an attempt to get him out of the house (he is really sick with lymphoma right now) and not just sit around in his bath robe. We are going to continue the game of RISK (that has been going on for 4 months!) and DH will grill out steaks. I am making an Orzo salad that is in another thread and some Greek Roasted Potatoes (in the recipes files here). DD and I are going to make some home-made bread as soon as we finish watching "Jon & Kate plus 8"

Becky, that sounds like fun (and delicious).

Yesterday I made the Coffee House Cookies in the Delightful Desserts cookbook. I made them into bars. They were a hit and we're having the leftovers today.

Looking forward to hearing how the brownies turned out.

I love these threads - I'm always looking for new ideas.

My in-laws are coming with my DH's younger brother and sister (they are 16 and 15) and his grandma, too. They live about 45 minutes away, but since DH is working til 6 tonight we thought it would be easier for them to come to us so that we're not rushing up there. My father-in-law is going to help break in our brand new charcoal grill using the pork spareribs I picked up yesterday (yum), and they're bringing something called Monster Macaroni Salad, too. Also corn on the cob. I am putting baked beans in the crock pot and I made two QSP's full of strawberry lemonade last night (it tastes better when the strawberries can sit for a while in the lemonade!). And for dessert, nothing fancy, but I'm making Oreo Pudding Pies (by special request from my sister-in-law) and maybe a tray of brownies as a backup.

Hay, this is MY thread!!! :)

Haven't decided today, still haven't gone shopping.

Tonight is what we call icebox night. This is usually Sunday night but we did the cookout thing yesterday instead. Icebox night is where I warm up everything that was leftover from the week before and we buffet it. Then what is leftover is thrown out. And we start the week new.

cwinter474 said:
Tonight is what we call icebox night. This is usually Sunday night but we did the cookout thing yesterday instead. Icebox night is where I warm up everything that was leftover from the week before and we buffet it. Then what is leftover is thrown out. And we start the week new.
That is called "Clean out the fridge night" in my house! LOL

I'm cooking a pork loin in my DCB. It's been marinating in mojo and I'm going to add onions, garlic and menudo mix when I put it in the baker. We are also having black beans and rice, tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and a salad.

hamburgers, brats, metts, deviled eggs, mac and cheese, fruit, veggies and dip, guacamole and chips. Strawberries and poundcake & Choc poundcake at our house this afternoon :)
Hope everyone has a ncie relaxing day :)

steak and baked potatoes :)
we are meeting friends for a surprise party at Texas Land and Cattle to celebrate our son's signing with the University of Houston track team

I just got done shredding leftover quartered chicken from camp. With what I grabbed from last night's leftovers there I have 4 cups of shredded chicken. I'm thinking of making a pasta salad or something for lunches this week.I don't know what's for dinner yet. I have to play softball at 6:45 so I may eat after (hate to play and puke). I'll eat something light before.We made sugar cookies last night for the kids to bring to the game and share with their friends.Hey Teresa - congrats to your son!

cwinter474 said:

We call this "Smorgasboard!"

Skirt steak with the chipolte rub, chicken cutlets on the grill as well (with Italian dressing marinade) tossed salad, baked potato, corn and broccoli - most likely a few margaritas, cause I just finished opening my tiki bar today - its up and running!!! Jimmy Buffet is blasting thru the speakers and the blender is clean!!!

Hey Becky! Have you posted the recipe for your "Killer potato salad"? I would love to have that recipe!!

We're having:

hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill
corn on the cob
hopefully Beckys killer potato salad!
baked beans
cole slaw
watermelon
red, white and blue srinkled sugar cookies
sweet tea

Happy Memorial Day!

We are going to my neighbor's house (just our two families, nothing big) and will have:

Hot dogs
Hamburgers
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Veggie Platter (with At Home America's Clubhouse BLT dip)
Chips 'n Dip
Deviled Eggs
Smoothies

chefruthie said:
Hey Becky! Have you posted the recipe for your "Killer potato salad"? I would love to have that recipe!!

We're having:

hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill
corn on the cob
hopefully Beckys killer potato salad!
baked beans
cole slaw
watermelon
red, white and blue srinkled sugar cookies
sweet tea

Happy Memorial Day!

Hey Ruthie!

just saw this - hopefully you still have time!

I just copied and pasted from another thread :

okay - here it is - like I said, it takes a little time - but it is soooo worth it!

(and I got this recipe from Taste of Home magazine several years ago)

Patio Potato Salad

Dressing
1/3 C. sugar
1 Tbl. cornstarch
1 teas. ground mustard
1 teas. salt
1/2 C. milk
1/4 C. vinegar
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 C. butter, cubed

In a saucepan, combine sugar cornstarch, mustard and salt. Stir in milk, vinegar, and beaten egg until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or til thick and bubbly. Cool.

Salad
1/4 C. finely chopped onion
1/4 C. finely chopped celery
1/4 C. Mayonnaise (NOT miracle whip!!!)
8 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
5 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Stir onion, celery, and mayo into cooled dressing. In a large bowl, combine potatoes & eggs. (I leave one egg to decorate the top - slice it w/ the egg slicer and fan it out over the top of the bowl)
Add dressing to potatoes and eggs, and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Yield - 10-12 servings

Which year Becky? I'm going to have to find it in my cookbooks and mark it to make it!!!!

janetupnorth said:
Which year Becky? I'm going to have to find it in my cookbooks and mark it to make it!!!!

It's in the 2001 cookbook!

Thanks so much Becky! I still have time. I'm inside doing paperwork and laundry and the kis and DH are outside doing barn and garden work. I have all the ingredients for this and I will make it as soon as I get the next load folded :) I'll let you know what the family thinks ;)

Ah, found it Becky! Started at 2007 and worked my way back. It was in 2001!

LOVE Taste of Home Cookbooks!

I have:

1995-2007 Annual Recipes
2002-2005 Light and Tasty
2000, 2004 and 2005 Country Cooking
TOH Cooking School 50th Anniversary cookbook
2003-2004 Quick Cooking Annual

...and a few other miscellaneous ones...

janetupnorth said:
LOVE Taste of Home Cookbooks!

I have:

1995-2007 Annual Recipes
2002-2005 Light and Tasty
2000, 2004 and 2005 Country Cooking
TOH Cooking School 50th Anniversary cookbook
2003-2004 Quick Cooking Annual

...and a few other miscellaneous ones...

I don't have any of the Light and Tasty or the Quick Cooking - but I do have 2 of the country cooking ones, plus a Low Fat Country Cooking, and a Ground Beef Cookbook, and a Chicken one.....

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't have any of the Light and Tasty or the Quick Cooking - but I do have 2 of the country cooking ones, plus a Low Fat Country Cooking, and a Ground Beef Cookbook, and a Chicken one.....

Oh yeah, I have the Ground Beef one and Cookie ones and probably a few more.

PM me if you are missing any and I'll have my mom look at the outlet for you.

She got most of mine for $3 each.

janetupnorth said:
Oh yeah, I have the Ground Beef one and Cookie ones and probably a few more.

PM me if you are missing any and I'll have my mom look at the outlet for you.

She got most of mine for $3 each.
I was just going to ask if you live close to the outlet. I hope to get up there sometime this summer. I have lots of the cookbooks and magazines too. Love em!

chefruthie said:
I was just going to ask if you live close to the outlet. I hope to get up there sometime this summer. I have lots of the cookbooks and magazines too. Love em!

I used to, now I live 300 miles away, but my mom does so she shops for me.

Ok, so I needed something to eat before I leave for softball so I just made up a quick recipe...it was good!Here it is:Janet's Greek Chicken Pasta Salad (using Pampered Chef products) ;)4 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 lb. bowtie pasta
about 3/4 cup Basil Blend Canola Oil (if you don't want to use that much use about 1/4 cup and add olive oil but the flavors in the canola oil make the recipe!)
2 1/2 Tablespoons Greek RubI made this in single portion size for tonight:1 cup cooked chicken
2 tsp. Greek Rub
1/4 cup Basil Blend Canola Oil
1/4 lb. Bowtie pasta

thanks Janet for the well wishes he is grumpy not wanting to go out to eat
however, I rule HA!!!at our house we call leftovers "re~runs"

Leftovers for us tonight.Did a bit of baking this morning, though. I made oatmeal hempseed nut butter cookies and cinnamon rolls. I've had a bunch of sugar-cinnamon mix for a while and wanted to use it up, so I used the PC roll mix and threw together some cinnamon rolls to add to breakfast.As for the cookies, hempseed nut butter are a family favorite. I decided to try removing a bit of the flour and adding a bit of oatmeal to boost the fiber. Hempseed has more omega 3 than fish, but it tastes really green. I add peanut butter to mask the taste. Their surprisingly yummy and good for you. Plus, they have the added benefit of freaking people out because you're eating hemp.

Ahhh.. we just finished our dinner: Filet Mignon, Baked Potatoes and Fresh Steamed Broccolli.

YUM! Hubby is a GREAT GRILLER!!

We had mushroom shepards pie with a mix salad.

I am embarrassed to say, we had ham and cheese sandwiches and chips!!

Sounds good to me Chris :)

Related to Grilling on Memorial Day: Rain or Shine?

1. Can I still use my grill if it's raining on Memorial Day?

Yes, you can still use your grill in the rain, as long as it is not a severe thunderstorm. It is important to make sure your grill is in a safe location and that you have proper protection for yourself and the grill while cooking.

2. How can I protect my grill from the rain?

There are a few ways to protect your grill from the rain. You can use a grill cover, move it under a sheltered area, or use an umbrella to cover it while grilling. Make sure to also use a drip tray to catch any excess rainwater that may get into the grill.

3. What should I do if I have to change my plans due to rain?

If the forecast calls for rain but it's sunny, you can still grill outside. However, if the weather takes a turn for the worse, it's always a good idea to have a backup plan. Consider using an indoor grill or cooking the food in the oven instead.

4. Will grilling in the rain affect the taste of the food?

No, grilling in the rain should not affect the taste of the food. Just make sure to properly cover the grill and keep the rainwater from getting into the food while cooking. If using a gas grill, make sure to keep the flame shielded from the rain.

5. Can I still have a successful Memorial Day BBQ if it rains?

Absolutely! Don't let a little rain ruin your plans. Grilling in the rain can add a fun and unique element to your BBQ. Just make sure to take necessary precautions and have a backup plan in case the weather becomes too severe for outdoor cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• aalbert
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedpals
  • chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mscharf
  • pamperedbybarbara