• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Girl Scout Kitchen Safety Workshop: Fun Recipes & Safety Tips

do the heavy lifting in the kitchen like stirring soup, measuring ingredients, kneading bread dough, beating eggs. · Let them cut and chop vegetables for salads or sandwiches · Let them frost cakes or cupcakes · Let them make their own ice cream · Let them make their own cheese sauce · Let them make their own gravy · Let them help with the cleanup
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I will be doing a workshop with a girl scout troop on Tuesday. We will be making two recipes together; one savory and one sweet. The emphasis will be on kitchen safety. This troop are ages 7-9. Do you have any helpful tips or suggestions for this age group or something that would be fun for the Girl Scouts? This is the bulk of their meeting.

I am going to be putting together a hand-out for each girl to take home. Do you think I should also send a full-size catalog or a mini-catalog? I'm thinking full-size, but I don't know. This is just for them to earn their Kitchen Safety Badge it is not a Cooking show, but I would like to share my contact information with the parents. What do ya'll think?

I'd send out a handout explaining what you shared with the girls and that you would be happy to help them with any additional information that they would like and make sure your contact info is on it including that you are a PC consultant. I don't think I'd even send a mini-catalog home with them but say if anyone wants more info about what you do they can contact you. I think it would be okay to ask for an email address from the parents for your monthly newsletter. I think sending the full catalog or even the mini would be too much self promotion in their eyes.

Kids in the KitchenI'd have some catalogs on hand for the parents who seem interested at the meeting. I got this info from CS and you might find helpful (get ready it's long...pick and choose what works best):

Cooking with Kids - Tips & Recipes for Kids in The Kitchen
You know the pleasure you get from preparing and serving something that your family loves? Children can experience the same satisfaction when they help prepare food for themselves, their friends, or the whole family. It builds their confidence and self esteem and you can get dinner done while spending quality time with them. Just make it fun. Kids will eat what THEY make!

In fact, some professionals believe that cooking is as educational as it is exciting for children. Helping to cook involves several valuable skills important to child development:
· Planning a series of steps in a process
· Using mathematical skills to measure ingredients and time the cooking of foods
· Reading and interpreting written instructions used in recipes
· Expanding creative boundaries
· Mastering teamwork when cooking with adults and other children

Pampered Chef has the products to enable kids to do a good job in the kitchen, eliminating the frustration and impatience because they can "do it themselves!"

Supervision is the key to cooking with kids?they develop cooking skills at different rates so it's important to have an adult introduce children to skills that match their ability levels. Preparing meals can be more fun and a lot of help when the whole family is involved. Try the following:

All Ages:
· Require washing hands before helping or independent cooking experiences.
· Encourage cooperation in kitchen clean-up.
· Stress safety with cutting tools, ovens, stove tops and appliances.
· Provide simple recipes and instructions.
· Have ingredients on hand for spur-of-the-moment cooking opportunities.
· Be available for help

Ages 3 to 5 years:
· Encourage to "help" - pour or dump ingredients when making cookies, Jell-O etc.
· Let them have their own set of measuring cups & spoons for the sandbox and wading pool or bath.
· Let them tear lettuce for salad, wash fruits and vegetables together.
· Enjoy the clean-up?let them lick the bowl or spoon, "because they were such good helpers"

Ages 4 to 7 years:
· Allow them to measure some of the ingredients, such as flour, water, sugar
· Allow them to sift dry ingredients
· Let them spread butter or peanut butter on bread for sandwiches
· Let them stir the batter for muffins, cake, pancakes
· Children this age can learn to set the table correctly
· Ask for their decisions such as chocolate or white cake, oatmeal or vanilla cookies

Ages 6 to 8
· Let chop nuts for cookies using the Food Chopper
· Children can make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the Cut 'N Seal
· Allow them to open cans and drain, using the Pampered Chef can opener
· Let grate carrots and mix carrot and raisins and other salads
· Let frost cookies or cupcakes
· Show them how to peel potatoes, carrots and apples with the Vegetable Peeler
· Children can use a My Safe Cutter to cut up cooked potatoes or other soft foods

Ages 8 to 12 years:
· Let mix and bake cookies or a cake from a mix, supervising the removal from the oven, setting the oven temperature and timer, and use of the mixer, if used.
· Let mix together potato or macaroni salad, including chopping onion, pickle and other ingredients.
· Let them turn pancakes or French toast on the griddle.
· Allow to make biscuits, Jell-O, pizza or macaroni and cheese or other pre-packaged convenience foods with minimal supervision.

Teens:
· Presuming they have done the above, let bake cookies, brownies or cakes independently
· Encourage them to make an item for the family meal
· Allow them to try piecrust or yeast bread from scratch
· Incorporate the "science" of cooking, such as what happens with yeast and other leavening agents, and keeping sauces and custards smooth
· Encourage them to make something as a gift for a teacher, relative or friend
· Encourage learning to prepare a "show off" dish that they can fix independently when their own friends come for dinner. Chili, BBQ beef or chicken, omelets, pizza and soft tacos or taco salad are all suitable and easy

GREAT PAMPERED CHEF PRODUCTS FOR KIDS:
Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer to make apple slices; microwave applesauce
Apple Wedger for apple snacks
Baker's Roller for rolling out various doughs (pizza, cookies)
Cheese Slicer for cheese and crackers
Citrus peeler for oranges and grapefruit
Crinkle Cutter: Carrots, cucumbers and other veggies
Cut n Seal: Flying saucer sandwiches, pizza tarts, pocket desserts with pie filling or pudding
Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan: For kid-size muffins, cupcakes, rolls, cookies; sort cake/cookie decorations
Egg Slicer: Bananas, strawberries, olives, kiwis, mushrooms ? and egg salad
Flour/Sugar Shaker: Fill it with Jell-O or cinnamon sugar and sprinkle onto sliced apples as a treat
Food Chopper: Chop nuts and veggies easily and safely with enclosed blades
Salad Spinner: Spin lettuce, fruits, veggies, and other foods to dry for Mom!
Micro cookers for safer heating in microwave, doesn't get as hot as glass
Mini Whipper: Chocolate or strawberry milk
Pitchers: Make juice, lemonade, and milk shakes easily with the built-in plunger
Small Bar Pan and Small Spreader: Perfect for little hands, little recipes
Suds Pump: Wash their hands or play in the bathtub; also great for baby shampoo

What do YOUR children do in the kitchen? Call me and let me know, I love hearing about everyone's experiences!

TIPS FOR MAKING YOUR KITCHEN "KID-FRIENDLY":
1. Store matches, lighters, sharp utensils and household cleaners in a cabinet accessible only to adults.

2. Put child-safety latches on all lower-level cabinets.

3. Unplug appliances when not in use and keep cords out of reach of children.

4. Never pour hot liquid near a child and never leave hot drinks within reach.

5. Use the back burners of the stove and turn pot handles toward the back.

6. Watch out for tablecloths - since small children enjoy pulling on the cloth, glasses and plates can come crashing down.

7. Keep stools and chairs away from counters and stoves.
8. Be sure to keep alcohol locked away from children.

9. Many kitchen accidents occur within seconds. Use a child-safety gate, if possible, in the doorway to keep children out of the kitchen completely when you are in another room.

COOKING WITH KIDS - LET'S BEGIN!

1. Before starting any food preparation, review basic hygiene with young cooks. Have them wash their hands with soap and warm water as long as it takes to sing "happy birthday." An apron will protect clothing and a Twix-it Clip is perfect to keep long hair away from food.

2. Help your child identify and assemble all the equipment needed for the recipe. Teach less-experienced cooks techniques such as measuring and the difference between liquid and dry measures (use the Measure-All Cup).

3. Show your children how to cut, slice, and chop foods safely. Introduce children to kid-friendly cutting/slicing tools such as the Safety Cutter, Egg Slicer Plus, Apple Wedger, Crinkle Cutter, and Food Chopper.

4. Kids will warm up to breakfast with "Eggs in a Nest." Kids can use any Cookie Cutter to cut a shape out of the center of a slice of whole wheat bread. Melt a teaspoon of butter on the 8" Saute Pan or spray with oil with the Kitchen Spritzer. Place the bread on the griddle and break an egg into the cut-out shape. Cook until egg is set and bread is golden brown. Flip the nest over, cook until egg is slightly firm and bread is golden brown, about one minute.

5. Kids can create fun lunch sandwiches by cutting slices of bread, cheese, and deli meat with any cookie cutter. Stack cheese and meat slices between bread slices; secure by poking a pretzel stick through the center of each sandwich. You can also use the Cut ?n-Seal to make your own pocket sandwiches or tarts. Kids LOVE these!

6. If French fries are the only potato your kids will eat, try "Baked potatoes a la Mode." Potatoes "baked" in the microwave are quick and easy, and they're a great way to introduce kids to the microwave oven. Pierce a potato several times with the Hold 'N Slice; microwave on HIGH until tender. Split potato; top with shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream. For "Stuffed Spuds," core the center from a large potato. Fill with finely chopped broccoli and shredded cheese or seasoned ground meat; wrap in aluminum foil and bake 1 hour or until done.

7. Let the kids make their own pizzas! You can prepare dough ahead of time and store the rolled-out rounds in the freezer (stack them between sheets of waxed paper). Have each child top the dough rounds with his/her favorite toppings (pizza sauce, shredded cheese, chopped veggies, and sliced pepperoni) to make funny faces, clowns, etc. Place on a flat baking stone and bake according to recipe directions. If you're pressed for time, refrigerated biscuit dough, bagels, pita bread, or English muffin halves make great crusts.

8. Next time your kids have a snack attack try these quick fixes: "wrinkly" carrot or cheese sticks (Crinkle Cutter); melon balls (Core n More); apple and peanut butter wedges (Apple Wedger). Flavor popcorn with finely grated Parmesan cheese (deluxe Cheese Grater); cinnamon-sugar (Flour/Sugar Shaker); or melted garlic butter (Garlic Press/covered micro-Cooker).

9. For healthy "warm weather" treats, kids can spoon their favorite flavored yogurt into Ice Shaver Tubs and freeze. For fast fruit pops, cut wedges of watermelon with the Crinkle Cutter. Slide a flat wooden stick into the fruit; wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. For milkshake lovers, try "I-Can-Do-It-Myself-Milkshakes." Put 2-3 large scoops of vanilla ice cream or Frozen Yogurt into the Quick-Stir Pitcher. Add chocolate syrup and 1 cup cold milk and plunge until thick and frothy!

10. Kids love "mini" foods and many of our dessert pizzas such as Taffy Apple Pizza and Banana Split Brownie Pizza can be made into personalized creations. Instead of making 1 large cookie or brownie, make smaller, individual crusts and have kids top their own. Kids will love using the Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan to make bite-size cupcakes, muffins, and other sweets.

LUNCH TIME PLANNING AND PREPARATION

Planning meals may not be an earth-shattering decision in your life, but the ability to make choices matters more than you might think to a child. Lunchtime planning can provide a great?and healthy?opportunity for kids to do just that. Begin by making a list of nutritious sandwiches and sides for them to choose from each day (or once a week if you like to organize meal planning and grocery shopping in advance). If your children are old enough, you can even enlist their help at the supermarket by asking them to read you the shopping list as well as assist in finding the items and putting them in the cart.

How to get your kids more involved in lunch preparation and make it fun? Here are some tips to help:
· Read recipes through first so there are no surprises along the way.
· Teach your child basic preparation skills such as gathering all the bowls, pans and/or necessary utensils as well as measuring ingredients.
· Cut sandwiches into a variety of shapes with a cookie cutter (if suitable for the recipe).
· When packing lunch, have your youngster help wrap up sandwiches with colorful plastic wrap and seal with a favorite sticker.
· Add a crazy straw and colorful napkin and sneak in a surprise love note for your child.

Don't forget to praise your youngster's efforts and newfound kitchen skills consistently, to encourage more fun in the kitchen. This way, they'll feel rewarded and get more enjoyment from cooking. And they just might be more likely to eat their nutritious lunch!

Last, here's an attachment of possible recipes. HTH

Sorry it was sooo much! lol

Attachments

• Kid Friendly Recipes.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 241
View attachment 21503

Here is some information that someone in my downline used for a show with a girl scout group. I can't remember anything else she told me, I will think about it, I know the show went well.

Attachments

• 0750_001.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 275
Thanks for your tips and suggestions. Also, I hadn't thought about including catalogs as being pushy, but I could see that.

I just thought I'd share what my finish product is. I saved it on two pages because I didn't want to have to deal with possible formatting issues. I have printed these documents to 1 page to hand out to the girls tonight. Thanks again for your help ladies! It got the creative juices flowing.

Attachments

• girl scout recipes on one page.doc
    86 KB · Views: 219
  • Kids Cooking Safety Tip Sheet.doc
    240 KB · Views: 242
That's awesome and I LOVE how you added your FB to your contact info. Hoping the show is fun and fab and that many leads result from it! Thanks for sharing...it's seriously great.

What is the purpose of the Girl Scout Kitchen Safety Workshop?

The purpose of the Girl Scout Kitchen Safety Workshop is to teach young girls important safety tips and techniques while also having fun and learning new recipes. The workshop aims to empower girls to feel confident and capable in the kitchen.

Who can participate in the Girl Scout Kitchen Safety Workshop?

The workshop is designed for Girl Scouts of all ages, typically ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade. However, it can also be adapted for non-Girl Scout groups such as schools, community organizations, and youth clubs.

What types of recipes will be taught in the workshop?

The workshop includes a variety of fun and easy recipes that are suitable for young girls to make. These may include no-bake treats, healthy snacks, and simple meals. All recipes are age-appropriate and take into consideration any dietary restrictions or allergies.

What safety topics will be covered in the workshop?

The workshop covers a range of safety topics including proper hand washing techniques, safe handling of kitchen tools and equipment, how to use a knife safely, and how to prevent kitchen accidents such as burns and cuts. Participants will also learn about food safety and sanitation practices.

Do participants need any prior cooking experience to attend the workshop?

No prior cooking experience is necessary to participate in the workshop. The recipes and techniques taught are suitable for beginners and are designed to be fun and easy to follow. Participants will have the opportunity to learn and practice new skills in a safe and supportive environment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shell Northway
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • esavvymom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Deb Bixler
  • janezapchef