• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Full Service Checkout...are You Able to Do It?

In summary, Emily has found it difficult to do the Full Service Checkout. She thinks that it is because she is not giving her guests enough time to look at the catalog and she suggests doing a full service checkout
emiscookin
Ok, so I have seen how the Full Service Checkout goes on the training DVD's (they make it look SO easy which isn't the truth!) but I gotta be honest...in the last 3 cooking shows I have done the Full Service checkout thing...just hasn't happened.

Since I am new, my cooking demonstrations are taking a little longer than need be and by the time I am done (and BEFORE the dish is even done cooking!) people are "throwing" their catalogs and order forms at me saying they "REALLY gotta go" and so I QUICKLY (and efficiently ;)) calculate up their order and get the payment. I will try and ask them if they are willing to host a show while I am doing that, but mostly the response is No (I haven't even had the chance to view the door prize slips yet) and then I try to ask for referrals but then I get interrupted by another guest or my host asking questions! Then of course other guests are waiting to "checkout" on top of everyone TALKING TO ME and it just gets chaotic sometimes!! :yuck:

So No, I haven't been able to do the full service checkout. I think this is really hurting me. :( I mean, I'm getting bookings (well, I didn't get any at this last show which I was SURE I would :() and no recruits. I want to mention, while the guests are viewing the catalogs, that I would like to meet one on one with them while they checkout but then I fear that intimidates people. :confused:

Help!! How can I make the Full Service Checkout happen amid the chaos and when guests REALLY have to go!?! I'm gonna try to shorten my demonstration as much as possible, but there's so much I wanna tell everyone!!! UGH!!! :cry:

I need some advice and maybe some good criticism. :p
Thanks ya'll!

First, remember that you can't tell everyone everything at every show. There just isn't time. Plus, if you tell them everything at Susie's show you'll have nothing new for Sally's show.Second, I take those "gotta go" people quickly. That's important, because it lets them know I respect their time. To people who are waiting I say, "If you'll leave your order form I'll let you know when I'm ready for you." Third, there's nothing intimidating about letting people know you'll want a minute or two with them individually as they check out. Letting your guests know what to expect is a good thing. Plus, it cuts down on people interrupting. Though, I always let people know that questions are welcome. I've had "interruptions" lead to additional sales from the person I was with.Finally, I rarely get a chance to look over the survey slips before checkout. This actually works in my favor. I say, "I haven't had a chance to look over the surveys. Were you interested . . ." I've had people mark little or no interest on the slip but book a show. To me, the survey questions are simply a way to get the guests to think about hosting or looking at the business before I ask them.

One of my biggest "A-ha" moments at Director Express was this: Once you give them their receipt, they see the transaction as complete. If you hold onto the receipt until after you've asked what you want to ask, they'll be more apt to listen.

And as Rae said, it is essential to let your guests know you'll be doing a full service checkout.

I agree with the posts above. I'd only add that if you do not have a chance to do the Full Service, you can do calls the morning after. Call them up....thank them for coming and say that you hope they had fun. Usually people will answer positively, and then you can go into Full Service Checkout.

If you remember something positive about them, you can say it. For example....you were so friendly and I thought you'd be awesome at this. I will ask, Have you ever thought of doing something like this? If the answer is no thank you...I usually just say, thanks for being honest....I had to ask because I loved your personality (or whatever positive trait they have).

You can tell them that you wanted to be sure to ask if they were interested in hosting a show before the show closed so that the host can get the booking benefit.

HTH

I tell them at the end of the show that they can feel free to look around, eat the food and I'll take orders one at a time in X location.

Thanks everyone! GREAT advice!! :)

I've found it difficult too Emily. At my last show there weren't options for a place to do check out in private. I set up my laptop in the farthest corner of the kitchen (not too far b/c it was small), and had my laptop sitting on top of my hostess pkts. and my calendar. I have found that no matter where I go, people tend to congregate around where I am. I guess I should take that as a compliment. I do try to ask about the business and hosting before I give them their total, although sometimes it ends up being while I am entering their personal info in the computer.
Remember it is never going to look as perfect as it does in the DVD's or online b/c those were staged scenes where it was made to go perfect.

I withhold the catalogs until the demo is COMPLETELY done with and I have gone over everything I want to cover (booking benefits, my story, special, order form instructions, prize drawing slip instructions).

I do tell everyone in the intro that I will be handing out catties AFTER the demo so they know what to expect. I want them engaged during the demo not have their nose in the catty 2 mins after the demo starts.

I also explain how I will be sitting down w/ them one on one to check them out. They are very clear on what to expect and how the process is going to work.

It can get chaotic sometimes. I have had where many people are interrupting and asking tons of questions when I am trying to check a guest out. I answer one or 2 questions and if they keep continuing I let them know I'll get back to them after I am done with the current guest.

Emily, I've been at this for over a year and still have not once been able to do a full-service checkout for an entire show! I'll start it with the first few customers and then the ones waiting just want to get out of there or it never even starts lol I went to Director Express yesterday and it really inspired me to definitely be more conscious about it so we'll see how it goes. I don't have a cooking show on the calendar right now (Cat shows this month due to my sis-in-law being due any day and I'm one of her labor coaches, and so far only 1 vendor fair in June). While I don't think I have the time/desire to make director possibly at all, let along in 90 days, I do think all the tips to get there are all great tips. Did you get a chance to go to one? I feel like it gave me alot of practical stuff that I can implement in my business (from host coaching, which I also suck at, to actual scripts to use for check-out and recruiting). The things I want from a full-service checkout are building the relationship with the customer and bookings, if recruits come then great. Like I said, I haven't been able to achieve it yet so I can't give you advice but I want you to know that you're not alone! As soon as I have a another Cooking show and try it out with things I learned yesterday I'll let you know how it goes.

Liquid Sky said:
I withhold the catalogs until the demo is COMPLETELY done with and I have gone over everything I want to cover (booking benefits, my story, special, order form instructions, prize drawing slip instructions).

I do tell everyone in the intro that I will be handing out catties AFTER the demo so they know what to expect. I want them engaged during the demo not have their nose in the catty 2 mins after the demo starts.

I also explain how I will be sitting down w/ them one on one to check them out. They are very clear on what to expect and how the process is going to work.

It can get chaotic sometimes. I have had where many people are interrupting and asking tons of questions when I am trying to check a guest out. I answer one or 2 questions and if they keep continuing I let them know I'll get back to them after I am done with the current guest.

Ok, I did this ONE time and in the middle of my demo I had guests literally going over to my bag where I had the catalogs and taking them out! :eek:

chefsteph07 said:
Ok, I did this ONE time and in the middle of my demo I had guests literally going over to my bag where I had the catalogs and taking them out! :eek:

Yikes! I have never had that happen. I have had where the guests ask where the catalogs are and I tell them that I will bring them out shortly after the demo.

One time this happened, the host went and got her catalogs. 3 out of the 4 guests then went to the table to start looking at the catty. Of COURSE.....as soon as I was all done with the food, I got FLOODS of questions about "ohhhh, this cake is awesome...how did you do it again??" and "OMG these garlic biscuit bites are TDF! What ingredients did you use? Did you cook on the stovetop?"...etc. I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo internally aggravated. If they would have paid attention for 10 more stinkin' minutes I wouldn't have been having to WASTE my time restating everything I already covered a few minutes prior.

I now instruct my hosts to NOT bust out the catties and tell her that we'll lose the audience and typically sales and bookings go WAY down.

Yeah, it was actually during my first and only attempt at an interactive demo...basically a disaster! I had about 3 out of the 12 guests actually participating and paying attention, so while my 3 guests and I were doing the demo, the other guests were wandering around and found my books, took them out and laid them on the table to basically do what you described. I was mortified and very angry. Then they proceeded to take the catalogs when my 3 guests were getting a little loud and went into the hosts living room! :rolleyes:

Liquid Sky said:

Ditto! :thumbup: That is how I run my shows and if people don't like it, TOUGH! ;)
Cause I don't want people all engrossed in the catalog that they are not even listening to me during my demo. IMHO, what's the point of doing the demo if no one is paying attention? I can't stand it when I an in front of an audience trying to talk to them and no one is looking at me!! :grumpy: I want their FULL attention!
Anyway....

mrshamel3808 said:
Emily, I've been at this for over a year and still have not once been able to do a full-service checkout for an entire show! I'll start it with the first few customers and then the ones waiting just want to get out of there or it never even starts lol I went to Director Express yesterday and it really inspired me to definitely be more conscious about it so we'll see how it goes. I don't have a cooking show on the calendar right now (Cat shows this month due to my sis-in-law being due any day and I'm one of her labor coaches, and so far only 1 vendor fair in June). While I don't think I have the time/desire to make director possibly at all, let along in 90 days, I do think all the tips to get there are all great tips. Did you get a chance to go to one? I feel like it gave me alot of practical stuff that I can implement in my business (from host coaching, which I also suck at, to actual scripts to use for check-out and recruiting). The things I want from a full-service checkout are building the relationship with the customer and bookings, if recruits come then great. Like I said, I haven't been able to achieve it yet so I can't give you advice but I want you to know that you're not alone! As soon as I have a another Cooking show and try it out with things I learned yesterday I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. ;) No, I haven't gone to Director Express, but it sounds like there's lots of great advice to get there! I won't even try for something like that until I expand my business a little more because...I really don't think I could become a Director in 90 days right now. :confused:

chefsteph07 said:
Yeah, it was actually during my first and only attempt at an interactive demo...basically a disaster! I had about 3 out of the 12 guests actually participating and paying attention, so while my 3 guests and I were doing the demo, the other guests were wandering around and found my books, took them out and laid them on the table to basically do what you described. I was mortified and very angry. Then they proceeded to take the catalogs when my 3 guests were getting a little loud and went into the hosts living room! :rolleyes:

Yeah, that is just flat out RUDE!! :grumpy: People can be so inconsiderate!
Sorry your try at an interactive demo was a disaster. :( I did my first one on Saturday and everyone didn't want to get close enough to the table and no one was really enthusiastic about jumping in and trying the products. I was a little bummed, but I think it's because most of the people had been to a PC party before and knew how things work. Heck, there was a former consultant there!! Nice to chat with her. :)

emiscookin said:
I'm glad I'm not alone in this. ;) No, I haven't gone to Director Express, but it sounds like there's lots of great advice to get there! I won't even try for something like that until I expand my business a little more because...I really don't think I could become a Director in 90 days right now. :confused:

Like I said, I don't plan on becoming Director in 90 days let alone ever at this point in my business. I'm definitely in it for a hobby and to get the products at a discount. But if it's not too much work, I'm all for making my shows making my shows more profitable. The forumla to becoming a director in 90 days is to have 6 really effective/productive shows each month. I'm a 1-2 shows per month kinda girl, so it's not going to happen. But I DO want to have 1-2 of those kinds of shows a month. One of the things they talked about was consistency and I definitely struggle with that (in all of my jobs...lol) so I would love to get into the habit of consistency with my shows, whether it's 1 or 10 shows a month.

mrshamel3808 said:
Like I said, I don't plan on becoming Director in 90 days let alone ever at this point in my business. I'm definitely in it for a hobby and to get the products at a discount. But if it's not too much work, I'm all for making my shows making my shows more profitable. The forumla to becoming a director in 90 days is to have 6 really effective/productive shows each month. I'm a 1-2 shows per month kinda girl, so it's not going to happen. But I DO want to have 1-2 of those kinds of shows a month. One of the things they talked about was consistency and I definitely struggle with that (in all of my jobs...lol) so I would love to get into the habit of consistency with my shows, whether it's 1 or 10 shows a month.

Yeah. I can only handle 4 shows a month cause any more than that and I will go crazy!! It just keeps me TOO busy if I have more than 4 and that's time away from my husband. Some people are pros and can do it, but not me. Or should I say, Us! ;)

emiscookin said:
Yeah. I can only handle 4 shows a month cause any more than that and I will go crazy!! It just keeps me TOO busy if I have more than 4 and that's time away from my husband. Some people are pros and can do it, but not me. Or should I say, Us! ;)

At our cluster meeting a couple of months ago, someone said something about how much easier it is when you do shows regularly. I don't remember the exact words, but it was the idea that if you are doing 1 or 2 a moth you aren't necessarily in a groove. I have only done 9 total, but have already done 3 cooking shows (and 1 catalog show) this month. I will definitely agree with that statement now. Thursday I actually had 2 in one day, and it was so helpful. Yes, I was absolutely exhausted by the end of the second one and barely felt like I could drive home, but I have finally gotten into the groove. I have two more shows this week and am so pumped. Yes, it is time away from the family, but you may want to look into getting into a group of ladies that stay home or work different shifts, so that you could do afternoon shows and not always be gone in the evening, taking away from hubby time.

chefsteph07 said:

Personally, if I attended a show, and the consultant didn't hand out catalogs, I would be really upset. Although it works for others, to me it seems disrespectful to a group of ADULTS.

For me, it's all about the customer, not about what makes me happiest. If the customer is happy, and having a good time....I really could care less if they are paying rapt attention to every word I say. Creating a fun experience for them is what will help them buy, and also make them want to book. I am not their teacher (although I do teach them some really cool things) or their mother.

I often let my guests know right at the beginning of the show that they have my permission to look at catalogs, chat with friends, etc....but that during my demo, I will be sharing some really great cooking tips, and showing them ways to make their time in the kitchen quicker and easier, so if they'd like to be in on all of that great info, they might want to keep it to a dull roar...but by all means - have a FUN time!

This creates an atmosphere of respect and freedom, and I RARELY have a problem with people being rude or disruptive during my demos...and they tend to be very engaged in the demo - asking questions, and chatting about the products being demoed. This also makes them more responsive to me at the end when I ask for a moment of their time for checkout. I've been respectful of them as adults, and they in turn respect me and my time.

ChefBeckyD said:
Personally, if I attended a show, and the consultant didn't hand out catalogs, I would be really upset. Although it works for others, to me it seems disrespectful to a group of ADULTS.

For me, it's all about the customer, not about what makes me happiest. If the customer is happy, and having a good time....I really could care less if they are paying rapt attention to every word I say. Creating a fun experience for them is what will help them buy, and also make them want to book. I am not their teacher (although I do teach them some really cool things) or their mother.

I often let my guests know right at the beginning of the show that they have my permission to look at catalogs, chat with friends, etc....but that during my demo, I will be sharing some really great cooking tips, and showing them ways to make their time in the kitchen quicker and easier, so if they'd like to be in on all of that great info, they might want to keep it to a dull roar...but by all means - have a FUN time!

This creates an atmosphere of respect and freedom, and I RARELY have a problem with people being rude or disruptive during my demos...and they tend to be very engaged in the demo - asking questions, and chatting about the products being demoed. This also makes them more responsive to me at the end when I ask for a moment of their time for checkout. I've been respectful of them as adults, and they in turn respect me and my time.

I do agree with this as well. When I tried it, it was right when the interactive shows had been really created and promoted, so I had heard from others that this is what they were doing during their interactive shows. I really wasn't comfortable with it, but I did try it the one time, it wasn't for me, and that was the last time I did it! :) While I think it does for work for others, it's all about what makes the guests happy. I think the thing that got me at the time was those guests didn't even ASK to see a book, they just got up and started rummaging through my things in another room. If they had asked, I would have gotten them out and at least been happy that those guests were in the room I was in, while the others were doing the interactive part. Not to go through my stuff and then wander around the house. LOL

ChefBeckyD said:

See, you can rock it when you give out the catties before the show. Some can...some can't (like me...rofl). Personally, I don't feel holding off on handing out catalogs for 30 minutes is disrespectful. Everyone views everything in a different light.

All I know is, when I DON'T hand out the catalogs beforehand, my sales are way higher and I book, on average, 3 new shows. That's me tho.....I know some big wigs in the company hand out catties at the beginning and they have a rockin' biz. Different strokes for different folks. Just gotta figure out what fits your personality style. ;)

lesliec said:
At our cluster meeting a couple of months ago, someone said something about how much easier it is when you do shows regularly. I don't remember the exact words, but it was the idea that if you are doing 1 or 2 a moth you aren't necessarily in a groove. I have only done 9 total, but have already done 3 cooking shows (and 1 catalog show) this month. I will definitely agree with that statement now. Thursday I actually had 2 in one day, and it was so helpful. Yes, I was absolutely exhausted by the end of the second one and barely felt like I could drive home, but I have finally gotten into the groove. I have two more shows this week and am so pumped. Yes, it is time away from the family, but you may want to look into getting into a group of ladies that stay home or work different shifts, so that you could do afternoon shows and not always be gone in the evening, taking away from hubby time.

I did 6 shows in one month once and I seriously almost quit after. I was SO burned out. I took a break (submitted 1 cat show to stay active) about 5 months in to my business (at the time averaging 3-5 shows/month) and it really rejuvenated me and since then sticking with 1-2, MAX 3, has kept me from getting burned out. I try to keep my shows evenly spaced (every 2-3 weeks) to stay in some sort of groove but it doesn't always work like that depending on what shows reschedule/cancel etc. When I've gone long periods of time without shows I do feel a little rusty again going in but I think I prefer to deal with that than to be burnt out doing too much for me.

mrshamel3808 said:
I did 6 shows in one month once and I seriously almost quit after. I was SO burned out. I took a break (submitted 1 cat show to stay active) about 5 months in to my business (at the time averaging 3-5 shows/month) and it really rejuvenated me and since then sticking with 1-2, MAX 3, has kept me from getting burned out. I try to keep my shows evenly spaced (every 2-3 weeks) to stay in some sort of groove but it doesn't always work like that depending on what shows reschedule/cancel etc. When I've gone long periods of time without shows I do feel a little rusty again going in but I think I prefer to deal with that than to be burnt out doing too much for me.

LOL I did 14 shows in October! LOL I know all about burnout! LMAO!
6 shows in one month IS alot though, esp if you are just starting out! And it's important not to get that "burnout" when you first start your biz, but it's also great to know that you booked that many shows that early in your business! That says alot about you! :)
As it stands, I have 2 shows scheduled in one day on June 5 (one is a 1pm start and the other is 30 min away and a 6pm start!) I have 4 or 5 shows booked before we leave for the Disney trip!

You've touched on one of the most amazing things about PC. We get to decide for ourselves what constitutes a full, consistent schedule. If 1 or 2 shows a month is what works for you, do that consistently. If 14 shows is what works for you, do that consistently. Consistently ask people to host shows. Consistently ask people to consider the business. I love PC!

You ladies are absolutely right. Don't do more than you can handle. I just finally feel like I am in my groove. I had been with another DS company before and when I was considering PC, something DH and I decided was that if I was going to do this, I was really going to do this. It wasn't goig to be just a little extra money here and there, I was going to have to commit to working my business like a business and being committed to contributing to the family budget. It has taken me a couple of months to finally get things really going, but I currently have 5 shows on the books and 3 catty shows in progress. Don't have any recruits, nor do I have any leads, but that's ok. I am in this business for me and my family.
I wasn't in anyway trying to be critical of those who don't do more shows. I am sorry if I offended anyone. DH works crazy hours trying to support us, and sometimes I need a little time away from the kids. My goal with PC is for my husband to be able to quit his second job by September, so I am working my tooshie off.

chefsteph07 said:
LOL I did 14 shows in October! LOL I know all about burnout! LMAO!

HOLY COW!! :eek: I just gotta know, how are you getting all these bookings!?

lesliec said:
I wasn't in anyway trying to be critical of those who don't do more shows. I am sorry if I offended anyone. DH works crazy hours trying to support us, and sometimes I need a little time away from the kids. My goal with PC is for my husband to be able to quit his second job by September, so I am working my tooshie off.

You're ok lesliec. ;) No one was offended.

LOL

WELL....I had been working my tail off all year to get the points for Disney and I was just about there, I wanted to finish it out before Nov so I could know I had the trip and kind of "relax" about it.

Thing is, all year I didn't turn one show down or try to convert it into a catty show. I used to have "boundaries" of where I would go for shows and if it was out of my proximity, I would offer to have them do a catalog show. LAST year was a different story though, I did shows EVERYWHERE, including one 3 hours away out of state!

I literally, SERIOUSLY, asked everyone, I would walk the mall w/ my PC jacket and go up to strangers or people working in their retail spaces and ask them about PC! One of my excursions at the mall found me speaking w/ a table for Relay for Life, found out that they were raising funds for their mall team and they asked me to set up in a vacant space for an evening to sell. I didn't do a demo, but I brought a recipe and that turned into a 1k fundraiser!

You just really never know unless you ask! I got the trip in October AND got enough bookings in November for the sellathon that I earned the 6k level AND PC $!

This year is a bit of a different story, I am CHOOSING not to bust my tail like I did last year, but I find it difficult to get back into a "hobbyist" state of mind! This month I have 6 shows and that's a "slow' month for me! :)
Believe me, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!

1. How does the full service checkout work?

The full service checkout allows customers to have their items scanned and bagged by a Pampered Chef consultant, eliminating the need for them to wait in line or handle their own purchases.

2. Can I still use coupons and discounts with full service checkout?

Yes, you can still use any applicable coupons or discounts with full service checkout. Just let your consultant know at the beginning of the transaction.

3. Is there an additional fee for full service checkout?

No, there is no additional fee for full service checkout. It is a complimentary service provided by Pampered Chef.

4. Are all Pampered Chef products eligible for full service checkout?

Most Pampered Chef products are eligible for full service checkout. However, some larger or bulkier items may need to be taken to a designated pickup location for customer convenience.

5. Can I still pay with cash or check when using full service checkout?

Yes, you can still pay with cash or check when using full service checkout. Your consultant will provide you with a total and any necessary change, just as they would at a traditional checkout.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • caremmel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sherylscooking
  • cookingwithdot