• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated and Totally Thinking of Quitting

In summary, the author is very frustrated with their business. They say it seems more and more like a chore and not being fun like it was last year. They are having trouble getting people to answer their phones when they are trying to host a coach call, and they are not being responded to when they call hosts. They are also having trouble getting past hosts from last year to do parties to renew their discounts. They are also 2K away from 15,000 in career sales and they don't want to lose that. Their director is also beginning to disappoint them. They are having problems with their phone and they are not the type of person who chases after cars or people to get business. They are having a momentary lull and they hope
sailortena
I am very frustrated with my business. It seems more and more like a chore these days and not being fun like it was for me last year.

What I have been getting lately, is people are not answering their phones when i am trying to host coach, and hosts NEVER, EVER call me back (when they say they will) when I call them. I ALWAYS have to call them.

I send out host coaching postcards, emails, and continue with phone calls (once a week starting one month before show, then maybe twice a week starting 2 weeks before if I can't get ahold of them) and when I finally reach them, they cancel on me, or think the party is on ANOTHER date (which I can't do, since I have something else) and when I try to reschedule I get the runaround AGAIN.

I am REALLY worried I am going to go inactive as of Aug. 1. I have a party scheduled for June 2, and experiencing what I am writing about above, a catalog party in June I have no idea if it will work, and a party scheduled at the end of July.

I have people telling me they want to do a party, but can't set a date. I try to get past hosts from last year at this time to do parties to renew their discounts, but no dice.

I am only 2K away from 15,000 in career sales, and I really don't want to lose that, but what can you do?

My director is also beginning to disappoint me, especially when she promises me rewards for sales last year (I was supposed to get a personalized apron for being top seller in the cluster) and I never get them, and my calls/emails are never answered or returned in a timely matter. (A week is too long to wait for an answer to a question.)

I am also not the type of person who strikes up conversations in lines at the grocery store, nor do I chase after cars or people or whatever to get business.

I'm pretty sure I've never chased a car. It's a great visual, though.

Seriously, I understand your frustration. Direct sales is a cyclical profession. I hope you don't make any drastic decisions while your emotions are all in a whirl. Take a couple of deep breaths. Take a long, hot bath. Relax a bit.

Now, think back to why you signed with PC in the first place. I'm guessing you love the products, and you wanted to make money sharing that love with others. It's easy to get bogged down in all of the stuff.

Take a step back and evaluate how you're doing things. Sometimes we need to try a new angle. Look through the "Bookings" posts. See if you don't glean some new ideas to try.

Honestly, we all go through these times. Please don't let a momentary lull cause you to do something you'll regret.

I'm sorry to hear it's not a good time for you right now. Hopefully things will look up. Maybe you should change your strategy- throw in some bonuses to the hosts that you haven't offered before or something to jumpstart things. Maybe offer free tax and shipping or something else. I'm not sure what you already do. But that's just an idea- of course if you already tried that with no dice, then I don't know.

As for your director, I'd leave an irritated message for her so she feels compelled to call you back. Maybe let her know you're considering quitting and really need to speak with her. I am not saying to be rude, but just try to make it so that she feels she really needs to get back with you. Maybe she's really busy or has been having problems with her phone. My director was MIA one weekend and wouldn't return any of my emails or phone messages- I was so aggravated- so I left a message complaining that I couldn't manage to get in touch with her. Apparently the messages weren't coming through on her phone and she had no idea. I think a frantic email finally reached her and she didn't know I'd been trying to reach her, plus she is busy on the weekend with shows. My director really is great and I'm not a rude person by any means, ask anybody, but if I need her, and I can't get her, then I really make a big deal out of trying to reach her.

Ok, I hope that doesn't leave me sounding like a rude person, but it sounds like you need a sound voice to listen to and to listen to you.
Good luck!

I am sorry you are feeling so frustrated. (((HUGS))) I think everyone has something go frustrating in their business at one time or the other. If you don't feel comfortble with striking up converations with strangers and the grocery store would your feel comfortable doing a craft fair??

This might help drum up s some new leads. www.eventlister.com can be helpful.

Perhaps some customer care calls might generate more business or shows.

And please know that if your director just started this habit of not calling back on a regular basis there may be something going on in her life that she hasn't shared. I had a recruit get upset with me but he apparently forgot or didn't consider the fact that my mother was dying and that had to be my first priority.

Last edited:
And, remember that if you aren't getting questions answered quickly by your director, you can always turn to us. We'll get it answered and maybe even give you a chuckle free of charge!

As Rae said, relax and step back before you make any decisions. We all go through this from time to time.

As far as your director is concerned: Has she usually been responsive and there for you? If so, she could be going through something right now in her life. Let her know via as many ways as you have that you NEED to talk to her NOW and tell her why. If she doesn't respond go to her upline. Tell them you hope nothing is wrong in her life but you needed advice now. If she hasn't ever been real responsive then you just have to let go of the thought that she will become that way and try to connect to the upline or sister consultants for support - and of course to us here at Chef Success.

Oh- I forgot to add, after my weekend of not being able to reach my director- she suggested this site for me since a lot of my questions could have been answered here- and so if I have questions, I come here so I don't have to worry about it if I can't reach her. Again, she really is a great director- I met her several years ago in SAMS and chose her as my director rather than the local consultant who did shows in this area. So, yeah- this site has been a lifesaver for me and has given me sooo many refreshing ideas. Never fails, check the threads to get ideas when we're in a lull or what we're doing isn't working.

I empathize with you. I had been doing well also and this month has been quite a dud for me also. I spoke with my mom and she gave me some insight on her behalf as a consumer that with the Gas prices going sky high and people wanting to go on vacations lately, I think people have tightened their belts on their wallets because they need to pick where they spend their money, thus leaving the direct sales business dry and this includes us with Pampered Chef.

I don't know what to do either to get those "MAYBES" to go to a yes with a definate date on my calendar.

I think we all should do some brainstorming and use Chef Success as a online Cluster meeting to brainstorm to get those bookings and get the dates set in ink on our calandars. I shall start a thread for this.

We are here for you Beth so do not give up. Look at it as a dry spell and we will do all to help you out!

Schel

schel said:
We are here for you Beth so do not give up. Look at it as a dry spell and we will do all to help you out!

Schel
Actually it is "sailortena" who needs the hugs but you are right! We all need encouragement during economic times like these.

How about hosting your own show and calling it "Summer Escape".... for those that can't take vacations! You can do fun things like veggies or decorative animals. Just fun or funny things, light hearted.

Have you tried an open house or a mystery host show lately?

I love the idea of an open house that focuses on summer foods and products. Make sure to invite everyone, past hosts, past customers, neighbors, friends, send invites, evites, and make phone calls.

Hosting my own show is out of the question, I recently hosted another party for an Aloette consultant. We swapped parties this month.Open houses are terrible for me, I have invited neighbors to two. And pretty much have tapped out family and friends buying things. They do what they can, but I don't have a monthly cash cow.Next month as a last resource I was thinking of offering a sale to all of my customers and past hosts (I did one around Christmas) and losing my commission. 20% off for everyone and 30% off for past hosts with active discounts. That may work, it may not. I am thinking more not since it isn't a big gift-giving season.

The advice given before me is awesome and can't be topped. I would just like to add...I NEVER expect a host to call me back. I ask them to and some will, but I don 't expect it. The person who recruited me (is no longer doing PC) was getting frustrated with this before she quit and I vowed never to expect this from a host. I welcome it if it happens, but if it doesn't happen, it honestly does not bother me. I find that the most motivated hosts will call back, but when it comes to calling people for bookings that they said they would do...I leave one message. If I do not hear back, I will leave another message and let them know that if I do not hear back from them by a certain date, I will assume that they have changed their mind. Even with shows on my calendar. If they do not send me a guest list back by a certain date, then I will re-book the party. It is not being mean, it is keeping your business alive and giving hosts boundaries to work with. Make sure your messages are upbeat and positive so no offense is taken. And I always end with...if you would like to re-schedule your party, I would love to hear from you to set a date.

Hopes this helps and hope you stick with it!

Good point, Ann. While I've had a fairly decent percentage of hosts who actually call back, I consider those a blessing. Most people mean well, but, let's face it, this isn't their livelyhood. It's probably not exactly the priority in their lives that it is in ours.Plus, we aren't the only ones who suffer from a bit of phone phobia. Many of the hosts who return my calls apologize for bothering me. What? I wouldn't have asked you to call if it were a bother.

Yes, I was trying to find the words before...but you put it perfectly! If a friend or a family member is left a message (non PC) we expect a phone call back. But with hosts, it is our livelyhood and for many reasons they may not call back. Some people that need to reschedule or whatever...will avoid calling and are in a kind of denial.

Right before I left for Atlantis and I was trying to get a hold of hosts and I hear the infamous line....I was just getting ready to call you...this is the cancellation or postponement line. People are afraid that you are going to be mad at them for postponing or cancelling so they avoid any kind of uncomfortable feelings on their part.

The other line is...If I want to do a party, I will call you. I can guarantee that 99% of the time...they won't call!!

I also find that many of my hosts prefer to be contacted by email. Perhaps not quite as personal a contact, but, it does get the information across.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

This is something I was just talking about with a customer of mine. She was telling me how she (and many of her friends) cringe when the phone rings, but will gladly respond to an email.

What are some common reasons for feeling frustrated at Pampered Chef?

Some common reasons for feeling frustrated at Pampered Chef include difficulties with sales or reaching sales goals, feeling overwhelmed with the job responsibilities and demands, navigating challenges with team dynamics, and struggling to balance work and personal life.

How can I address my frustrations and prevent burning out at Pampered Chef?

It is important to communicate your concerns and frustrations with your team leader or mentor at Pampered Chef. They can offer support, guidance, and resources to help you overcome challenges and prevent burnout. Additionally, finding a healthy work-life balance and setting realistic goals can help alleviate frustrations.

What resources does Pampered Chef provide for employees struggling with frustration?

Pampered Chef offers various resources for employees struggling with frustration, such as training and development programs, mentorship opportunities, and a supportive community of consultants. There are also online resources and support groups available for consultants to connect and share their experiences.

Are there opportunities for growth and advancement at Pampered Chef?

Yes, there are opportunities for growth and advancement at Pampered Chef. The company offers various incentives, bonuses, and promotions for top-performing consultants. There are also opportunities to become a team leader or mentor, which can provide additional income and leadership experience.

Is it common for consultants to feel frustrated at Pampered Chef?

It is common for consultants to experience frustration at Pampered Chef, especially during the learning and adjustment period. However, with proper support, resources, and determination, many consultants are able to overcome their frustrations and find success in their role at Pampered Chef.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Suzy Englert
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • TJMagoo
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • MaggieChef13