• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

forThose Cruising; Why Did You Pick the Boat You Did?

In summary, the conversation was about choosing between two different ships for a cruise and the pros and cons of each. The person speaking chose the Sovereign because their friends would be on that ship. They also discussed passport expiration and the need to get a new one if it is close to expiring. The conversation also included excitement about earning a trip to London and the possibility of visiting Key West during the cruise. Some people mentioned experiencing seasickness and others discussed the process of obtaining a passport. They also mentioned the importance of meeting up during the cruise.
lacychef
So, never been on a cruise before; I'm just curious about the pro's/con's of the 2 ship choices. Why did you pick the boat you did? Is it better to have another day at sea, or another port call?
(I plan on picking the Sovereign, because that's where my friends are, lol! Just curious why you picked the one you did!)

OH, another question for you all.....how long are passports good for; after how many years do they expire? I'm pretty sure I need to get a new one since it's almost 10 years old, plus it's in my maiden name.

Passports are good for 10 years. The wait can be pretty bad for new ones, especially with new border requirements (need one for the US/Canada border now). I'd submit an application now to renew it - better to have it back too early than too late.

Well, I had my ship all picked out, and then about 6:00 yesterday afternoon, I got some phone calls, and some orders came in, and HOLY SHIMOLY I EARNED LONDON!!!! Talk about the last minute! My daughter is graduating from College in May, so the trip is her last "mom and me" trip before she goes on to get her Masters degree, she is thrilled! She was happy with the cruise but really wanted London! What a great surprise!

Wow! Congratulations to you too!!!!

I picked the Sovereign b/c that's where my friends will be. And I don't care about Key West. And my MIL lives close to Port Canaveral so we might be able to swing an extra day to visit her.But my #1 reason was because that was where my PC friends would be. We can't go on an incentive trip w/o Kristi and her DH. When I asked my DH what ship he wanted, he said "whatever ship Kristi and her DH are on." So there you have it.

Nanisu said:
Well, I had my ship all picked out, and then about 6:00 yesterday afternoon, I got some phone calls, and some orders came in, and HOLY SHIMOLY I EARNED LONDON!!!! Talk about the last minute! My daughter is graduating from College in May, so the trip is her last "mom and me" trip before she goes on to get her Masters degree, she is thrilled! She was happy with the cruise but really wanted London! What a great surprise!

Wow Nanisu! That is AWESOME!!!
:sing: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:sing:

I will be doing the day in Key West. Two reasons, one we went there last time and really enjoyed it, and I get EXTREMELY motion sick, so I don't mind having an other day off the boat. This is my 5th cruise, so I know that I have to use the patch.

Passports.... I just got mine done on Friday, they are saying that it is back to about 6 weeks, not the 12-whenever, like it was when they changed the border requirements. But I would still DO IT NOW!

I got the kids passports done in October for the cruise and they were back to me two weeks to the day they were mailed... Amazing...

So, we HAVE to get a passport? I thought there was something that said we didn't. Not that it's a biggie. I need one and my husband's I think expires this year.

I picked the Key West one as well because I have never been there and never been on a cruise. I figure that in case I have seasickness issues it would be best to not have the full day at sea...

Plus, my director told me that everyone in her downline (she's an ED) had picked that one and I didn't realize that so many Cheffers were picking the other one...

Oh well - I am sure that either way it will be amazing! I can't wait!

And about the passports - I do think we need them. I had to renew mine and it only took a couple weeks. I also had to get them for my kids (we're doing a Disney cruise with my in-laws in June - 2008 is going to be a great year for vacations!) and theirs came in really fast too - I was shocked at how quickly they came.

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to go find out how I go about getting one. Never done that before.

I'll be on the Majesty of the Seas with you!!! We'll need to meet up!

pamperedval said:
I picked the Key West one as well because I have never been there and never been on a cruise. I figure that in case I have seasickness issues it would be best to not have the full day at sea...

Plus, my director told me that everyone in her downline (she's an ED) had picked that one and I didn't realize that so many Cheffers were picking the other one...

Oh well - I am sure that either way it will be amazing! I can't wait!

And about the passports - I do think we need them. I had to renew mine and it only took a couple weeks. I also had to get them for my kids (we're doing a Disney cruise with my in-laws in June - 2008 is going to be a great year for vacations!) and theirs came in really fast too - I was shocked at how quickly they came.

Just mailed in the passport renewals for me and DH last week. Ours were both valid, but they would expire too close to the cruise date.

For those of you getting passports be sure and check your local Walgreen's. I didn't know until too late. I went to a travel agency and it cost $15 for each pix and Walgreen's was half of that... Just a little savings. :)
We also filled out all paperwork online (google Passports for the site) and just took our driver's license and birth certificates to the court house. Saved alot of time...

DebbieJ said:
I picked the Sovereign b/c that's where my friends will be. And I don't care about Key West. And my MIL lives close to Port Canaveral so we might be able to swing an extra day to visit her.

But my #1 reason was because that was where my PC friends would be. We can't go on an incentive trip w/o Kristi and her DH. When I asked my DH what ship he wanted, he said "whatever ship Kristi and her DH are on." So there you have it.

Sounds like a good reason Deb!
My dh told me I should pick the one where my friends are & I was going to anyway...

I did find my old passport at my parents' house today. It was only good for 5 years; expired in '02.
I guess there's just a renewal form you can get? Our post office takes passport pics too.

We are going on Majesty of the Seas I love Key West and yes you do need Pass ports , we got out pictures don at AAA then went to the town hall Probate Court office we got them in 2 weeks ....... Now I need to drop about 25 pounds and we will be ready to go
see you all in about 9 days in Ohio

Passport pics at Costco are $5.All the passport info is here: Passport Home

lacychef said:
I did find my old passport at my parents' house today. It was only good for 5 years; expired in '02.
I guess there's just a renewal form you can get? Our post office takes passport pics too.

I believe you have to get a new one when it's a change of name as well - double check on main passport web site.

DebbieJ said:
I picked the Sovereign b/c that's where my friends will be. And I don't care about Key West. And my MIL lives close to Port Canaveral so we might be able to swing an extra day to visit her.

But my #1 reason was because that was where my PC friends would be. We can't go on an incentive trip w/o Kristi and her DH. When I asked my DH what ship he wanted, he said "whatever ship Kristi and her DH are on." So there you have it.

Aww Deb!! Thanks! I know that we would be upset to go on a trip without you two as well!! It's going to be a tradition for us to go on our annual PC trip with you guys! I'm looking forward to our cruise in APRIL!!! I have to get our passports this week!

I mailed our passport renewals right before Christmas and they came in YESTERDAY's mail!!! WOW!!Now, if you've never had a passport before and this is your first one, it will take longer. Get it done sooner rather than later!

1. Why did you choose the specific cruise line and ship for your vacation?

There are a variety of factors that can influence why someone chooses a specific cruise line and ship for their vacation. Some common reasons include the itinerary, the amenities and activities offered on board, the reputation and reviews of the cruise line, and the price. It's important to do your research and consider what is most important to you before making a decision.

2. How do you decide on the best cabin or room type for a cruise?

The best cabin or room type for a cruise depends on personal preference and budget. Some people prefer an interior cabin for its affordability, while others prefer a balcony room for the views and extra space. It's important to also consider the location of the cabin on the ship and any potential noise or motion concerns.

3. What are the dining options like on a cruise ship?

Cruise ships often offer a variety of dining options including formal dining rooms, buffet-style restaurants, specialty restaurants, and room service. Some ships also offer 24-hour dining options. It's important to research the dining options on a specific ship before booking to ensure they meet your preferences and dietary restrictions.

4. Are there any age restrictions on cruises?

Most cruise lines have age restrictions for passengers, with a minimum age requirement of 6 months to 1 year. Some ships also have specific areas or activities designated for certain age groups, such as kids' clubs or adult-only areas. It's important to check with the cruise line before booking if you are traveling with young children.

5. What is the best time to book a cruise?

The best time to book a cruise depends on a variety of factors, such as the destination, time of year, and availability. Generally, booking in advance (6-12 months) can offer better deals and availability, while booking last-minute (2-3 months) can result in discounts on unsold cabins. It's important to also consider any potential sales or promotions offered by the cruise line.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• hmolah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • colegrovet
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76