• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Flying With Kids -- Carseat Rental???

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for bringing a carseat on a flight to Florida. The speaker is unsure about whether they can rent a carseat or check it as baggage for free. Other participants in the conversation provide helpful tips and advice, such as bringing a carseat bag and using the carseat on the plane for safety. Ultimately, the speaker learns that they can check the carseat for free and decides to bring their own familiar carseat for their child's safety.
janezapchef
Gold Member
So, can I rent just a carseat? I am going to Florida to see my grandma next week, and I need to get a carseat. My mom is down there already, so, I don't need a car. I am clueless here!

Is your child young enough to not have to buy a ticket for? If so, check with your airline but I know when we fly you are allowed to still check a stroller, carseat & carry-on a diaper bag for anysize child...free of charge.ps...we usually fly jetblue...love it :)

No, she's 4. But, you are saying I should be able to check a carseat and a stroller at the gate? I just called Continental, and they said I can gate-check one item. Is that one for me AND one for her? Guess I should have asked them that!

I would find out for sure, but I know on jetblue we always gate check our stroller & have our 3 yo sitting in his carseat in the paid for seat. Our 9 mo sits on my lap & we check her carseat (with regular baggage check) for no charge.It should also say something on continental's website...do a search for traveling with child/toddler/infantHTH! :)

I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER rent a car seat. You have no idea if it's been in an accident, if it's expired, if someone has puked or peed or pooped in it, etc.

Bring the seat that you child is comfortable sitting in and that you know how to install. Airlines are not charging to check carseats.

Yep, that was kind of my thought, Deb, which is why I was posting really. I didn't like that idea but didn't know my options either.

We are going on our incentive trip in two weeks, so I called the airline about carseats--there was no info on their website! I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I could check the seat as a piece of baggage for FREE! Now I just need to get a carseat carrying bag (only $20 at Babies R Us) and I'm set!We're leaving DS with grandma while we go down to Miami so it was important to me to have a familiar seat--my son can buckle himself in.

Ok, thanks so much for your help! I called back to Continental and was told that since I purchased a ticket for my child, she gets a gate-check item also. So, I can gate-check the stroller, and she can gate-check the carseat (though, it makes me chuckle to think of HER gate-checking it) and we get our carry-ons. Phew! I sure am glad my dad asked me what I was doing about this, or I probably would be arriving in Orlando scratching my head!

Good idea on the carseat bag, Deb. It probably just gets chucked in with the rest of the baggage, huh?

janezapchef said:
Good idea on the carseat bag, Deb. It probably just gets chucked in with the rest of the baggage, huh?

yes, it does. Gate checking is a bit more gentle than regular checked baggage, but it still goes in the same cargo hold.

Good to know! Glad I'm getting all these things figured out on these little trips with one child before the whole family takes two big trips next year!

When we flew with my son, I used the carseat in the airline seat -- I would never travel in the car without one, why would I in the air? Sometimes the ride can be very bumpy.....Just my opinion.

gaddischef said:
When we flew with my son, I used the carseat in the airline seat -- I would never travel in the car without one, why would I in the air? Sometimes the ride can be very bumpy.....Just my opinion.

I prefer to do this as well, but not all car seats are FAA approved. It also depends on your travel plans since you have to then carry the car seat through the airport.

gaddischef said:

The 2nd time we flew with my son we took his carseat with us because we were going to be in Oregon for a week and renting a car and like said above i was more comfortable taking a seat me and him were both familiar with. We switched planes 2x both ways and every plane we boarded we had to check his seat at the gate due to the plane seats were not made to accommodate carsearts.

janezapchef said:
So, can I rent just a carseat? I am going to Florida to see my grandma next week, and I need to get a carseat. My mom is down there already, so, I don't need a car. I am clueless here!
Are they going to pick you up at the airport? I'd suggest having them go to WalMart, and picking up a Cosco Scenera seat. Runs about $40, and they can have it in the car when you get there. You know what you're getting, and it's actually way cheaper than getting a rental seat (when we last rented a car, we could have bought 3 seats for what they wanted for renting 2).OTOH, if you are looking at taking a seat with you, the same seat is pretty lightweight to carry. It's airline approved, and at 17", fits most plane seats. We've got one for use in the grandparents' car when they have the boy, and for airline trips. Our usual (daily use) carseat is a heavier-duty one :)

SpiritdancerIA said:
Are they going to pick you up at the airport? I'd suggest having them go to WalMart, and picking up a Cosco Scenera seat. Runs about $40, and they can have it in the car when you get there. You know what you're getting, and it's actually way cheaper than getting a rental seat (when we last rented a car, we could have bought 3 seats for what they wanted for renting 2).

OTOH, if you are looking at taking a seat with you, the same seat is pretty lightweight to carry. It's airline approved, and at 17", fits most plane seats. We've got one for use in the grandparents' car when they have the boy, and for airline trips. Our usual (daily use) carseat is a heavier-duty one :)

I was going to recommend the same thing, or see if your relatives can find someone to borrow one from for the time you'll be visiting...we have an extra pair of (inexpensive) high-back boosters for our kids for the times we need to put them in someone else's car, and I know that if a friend or neighbor needed to borrow one for a week or whatever we'd be happy to help out.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't totally decided what we'll do, but there are lots of great ideas here! Thanks!

1. Can I rent a carseat for my child when flying with them?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers carseat rental services for customers who are flying with children. We understand the importance of keeping your child safe and comfortable during travel.

2. How do I go about renting a carseat for my child?

To rent a carseat for your child, simply contact our customer service team at least 48 hours prior to your flight. They will assist you in choosing the appropriate carseat for your child's age and size.

3. Is there an additional cost for renting a carseat?

Yes, there is an additional cost for renting a carseat. The exact cost will depend on the type of carseat you choose and the duration of your rental. Our customer service team will provide you with a quote before finalizing your reservation.

4. Can I bring my own carseat on the flight?

Yes, you are allowed to bring your own carseat on the flight. However, please note that it will count as a checked baggage item and you may be charged an additional fee by the airline. We recommend considering our rental service for convenience and cost effectiveness.

5. What happens if my flight is delayed or cancelled?

If your flight is delayed or cancelled, please contact our customer service team as soon as possible. We will work with you to adjust your rental reservation accordingly. In the event of a cancellation, we offer a full refund with at least 24 hours notice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
erinb
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Gina M
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef