• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Fear of Flying: Tips for a Stress-Free Flight to Visit Mom in FL

It seems that the person is afraid of flying, but has flown numerous times before. They have even taken a 24 hour flight and flown twice a year in college. However, they still get scared, especially during takeoff. They try to rationalize that flying is safer than driving, but they still feel anxious. They will be flying alone with their two kids and are looking for words of comfort from others who have similar experiences. They hope to get over their fear before their flight.
Yakmama
I am flying down to see my mom in FL in a couple of weeks. I have flown dozens of times before- but for some reason it scares me more and more each time I fly. I've even taken a 24 hour flight to Africa, and when I was in college I would fly home twice a year.

I can't really pinpoint why I get scared- but about 30 minutes into the flight I'm completely calm. I'm even fine during turbulence and landing. It's just the take off that makes me go into a panic attack. I have a layover and each leg of my flight is only about an hour long- so I know I won't be in a plane for very long at all.

Rationally I KNOW that flying is safer than driving- but I still feel sick to my stomach about it. I hope I'll get over it before my flight day. I'll be flying alone with the two kids with one layover. That part also makes me nervous!

Words of comfort would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sure you'll be fine. Try not to think about it till the day you go. Then just think of the great weather you'll be having while there! And think about me in NY with snow on it's way!

I hate to FLY !! The 1st time I had to do it, I was 4 mo pg. and that was terrible.. then again witha 7 yr old and a 5mo old, and one more time with 3 kids ages 9,2, 8mo ... all the way from San Diego,CA to VT.. each time

and you know that it always got worse too.. I hear what you are saying..
but the last time I flew I did it by myself and that was the worst because I did not have my family with me..

I know that when I flew with my kids I was a bit more distracted and it didn't dawn of me that we were flying expect for take off and landing..
like the other post said "try" not to think about it till you go.. the more you dwell on it the more stressed you become... at least that is my experience.

if you can ask your dr for anti anxiety pill.. that worked for me when I flew.. and I took it with the kids.. it really just gave me a clam feeling..

Good luck.. I will be thinking of you :)

I know the feeling! I'm going to Leadership in January and have never flown before! I'm totally scared and slightly freaking out every time I think of it. BUT, I've realized that PC has helped me through a lot of things and has allowed me to do things I would have never done before. I'm still scared sh*tless but I'm going to do it!

Yakmama said:
I am flying down to see my mom in FL in a couple of weeks. I have flown dozens of times before- but for some reason it scares me more and more each time I fly. I've even taken a 24 hour flight to Africa, and when I was in college I would fly home twice a year.

I can't really pinpoint why I get scared- but about 30 minutes into the flight I'm completely calm. I'm even fine during turbulence and landing. It's just the take off that makes me go into a panic attack. I have a layover and each leg of my flight is only about an hour long- so I know I won't be in a plane for very long at all.

Rationally I KNOW that flying is safer than driving- but I still feel sick to my stomach about it. I hope I'll get over it before my flight day. I'll be flying alone with the two kids with one layover. That part also makes me nervous!

Could you be my twin? I am the same way, used to fly from TX to WV all the time & have flown to Costa Rica.. Nothing bad or scary ever happened, but I am terrified.. I think it's b/c I am a control freak! But I will say a prayer for you.. Plus I am sure the kids will take your mind off of it :)

Yakmama said:

Me too! I've flown quite a bit here and internationally....and every single time I've hated it! It never gets any easier for me. It doesn't completely stop me from flying - but I don't get a thrill from it like DH does. I'd like to just take some happy pills and sleep through it all, but that just isn't a good option.

I feel the same way about bridges.

They offer teeny-tiny bottles of calm on every flight.

They're about $6 apiece, and go really good with orange juice, cranberry juice, or just ice.

I find that about 42 of them works for me :)

(Just kidding...I love flying. It's the hassle of getting on, off, and to the plane that I hate.)

I too, am a control freak, however, so theoretically, I should be scared to fly. I'm not though...I think it's because the mechanics of it absolutely fascinates me, and more than being a control freak, I'm the kind of girl who has to figure out how everything works. So I concentrate on that while flying...how something that big can fly so high and fast, and land on those little bitty tires. I weigh considerably less than a plane, and my shoes are probably proportional, but I can't fly. Huh.

I've always thought my fear was from being a control freak, as well. I have to stay away the entire flight, even long flights to Europe, as I have to be aware of all that is going on, and I take on the responsibility for all those people that are sleeping with no worries, to worry if I hear or detect any noise in case I have to alert the pilots! LOL. I actually did that once in England -- turned out to be nothing at all. Oh well. I did my job and was alert!I stay awake, but now have found the wonders of using a CD player during flight. I carry a stash of CDs with me and it seems to take my mind of it.

Jean DeVries said:
They offer teeny-tiny bottles of calm on every flight.

They're about $6 apiece, and go really good with orange juice, cranberry juice, or just ice.

I find that about 42 of them works for me :)

(Just kidding...I love flying. It's the hassle of getting on, off, and to the plane that I hate.)

I too, am a control freak, however, so theoretically, I should be scared to fly. I'm not though...I think it's because the mechanics of it absolutely fascinates me, and more than being a control freak, I'm the kind of girl who has to figure out how everything works. So I concentrate on that while flying...how something that big can fly so high and fast, and land on those little bitty tires. I weigh considerably less than a plane, and my shoes are probably proportional, but I can't fly. Huh.

This would be why I would need those little bottles of calm!:eek:

Trust in statistics. Thousands of flights every day and only a few problems a year. That is something I seek comfort in. :thumbup:

Admin Greg said:
Trust in statistics. Thousands of flights every day and only a few problems a year. That is something I seek comfort in. :thumbup:

I think of that, as well as the fact that if it's my time to go, it's my time to go. Doesn't matter if I am in a car, a plane, or sitting in my living room. I do pray for a sense of calmness and to trust that God will keep me (and the entire plane of people!) safe!

I understand completely... I've always been terrified to fly...I cant relax, (even with muscle relaxers from the doc) my palms are sweaty the WHOLE time.. and I wont fly if i don't have a window seat. Also, any turbulance makes me tense up and airpockets scare the life out of me...But every time I get off the flight, I feel proud of myself for doing it. Thats what keeps me flying.Might try that?

Also, I think ive been terrified because of an incident that happened when i was 10.
I was flying by myself from Ca, to NC. And it was my first time flying since i was 6, and we had an emergency landing in Reno due to an elderly lady having a stroke... and the runway was too short for the huge plane we were in and the breaks went out.. everyone was ok though..also when the flight finally went off again to NC, we flew over a thunderstorm.. i've never been more scared in my life!!!

1. How can I calm my nerves before a flight?

One way to calm your nerves before a flight is to practice deep breathing exercises or meditation. You can also try listening to calming music or distracting yourself with a book or movie during the flight.

2. Are there any natural remedies for flight anxiety?

Yes, there are several natural remedies that can help with flight anxiety. These include herbal supplements like valerian root or chamomile, essential oils such as lavender or peppermint, and natural calming teas like chamomile or passionflower.

3. Can I request a specific seat on the plane to help with my fear of flying?

Yes, most airlines allow you to choose your seat when booking a flight. You can request a seat near the front or over the wing, as these tend to experience less turbulence. You can also choose a seat by the window or aisle, whichever makes you feel more comfortable.

4. Is it safe to fly during bad weather?

Yes, it is safe to fly during bad weather. Planes are designed to withstand various weather conditions and pilots are highly trained to navigate through them. However, if you are still feeling anxious, you can always check with the airline beforehand to see if there are any potential weather delays.

5. Are there any resources or programs available to help with my fear of flying?

Yes, there are several resources and programs available to help with flight anxiety. Some airlines offer programs specifically for nervous flyers, such as Virgin Atlantic's "Flying Without Fear" course. You can also seek out therapy or counseling, join support groups, or use online resources like fearofflying.com or SOAR's Fear of Flying Program.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • PChef_ang
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
PChef_ang
Back