• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Flattening Bacon Without a Grill Press: Fixing 10 Pounds Quickly

In summary, Sandy is trying to figure out how to cook all of her bacon at the same time, and suggests using an electric griddle, frying in two or three pans at once, baking in the oven, or using metal pans with racks in them. She also mentions that she smells like bacon, and her house does too.
MomToEli
If I don't have the grill press is there a way to make my fried bacon stay flat? I have to fix up 10 pounds of bacon for our Mid Sized group tonight and I can't cook it in the oven fast enough!

I don't use a grille press. I use a new brick that I wrap in aluminum foil.

I never thought of that, Dawn. Of course, I don't have one of those handy right now :(

That would be AWESOME for camping, too! Thanks!

Wow, that's a lot of bacon. What are you doing on here? :) I don't know about the press, but you could fry, microwave, and bake at the same time. You could fry in two or three pans at once, can't you? If you have an electric griddle, you could use that too.
Do you have any air freshener on hand? (Sorry, I'm just a little too relaxed right now.) :)

How about a heavy cast iron frying pan. Do you have one of those?? Just be careful because it will get really hot!!

JAE said:
Wow, that's a lot of bacon. What are you doing on here? :) I don't know about the press, but you could fry, microwave, and bake at the same time. You could fry in two or three pans at once, can't you? If you have an electric griddle, you could use that too.
Do you have any air freshener on hand? (Sorry, I'm just a little too relaxed right now.) :)
Ha! I was thinking the same thing!:D Actually I was just thinking that the neighbors would be able to smell the bacon! And continue smelling it for a couple days!

Sorry I don't have any bright ideas for you Sandy!

I usually don't fly my bacon. I bake it in the oven and it stays flat in there. I find that it makes it nice and crisp in the oven.

I've done several batches in the microwave, but that beast is getting incredibly HOT. I've had GE out here once already and the repair guy said it was fine - that is was the surge supressor that was bad, not that the micro fried the strip. I'm really doubting that. Anyway, I have to let that rest awhile.

I want it to be flat (which is why I asked the question in the first place) because it will go further.

We are making BLT sandwiches tonight for like 35 adults and some kids. I'm figuring 50 sandwiches! What WAS my husband thinking when he came up with this bright idea? Oh, I know ... he was thinking that HE would be at work while all this cooking was going on ... :balloon:

Anyway, the oven has been going - using my stones and all my other cookie sheets that I haven't gotten rid of yet. Am I right that I can only use the stones up to 350? Can I use them in a 400 degree oven?

Anyway, I've cranked it to 400 and am using metal pans with racks in them. Supposed to take about 15 minutes that way ...

And I DO smell like bacon. And so does my house! :eek:

ETA: Only on here while waiting on the oven ...

Stones can go to about 425 degrees so definitely 400 would work! (The recipe for the cinnamon chips/tortilla chips calls for 400 degrees)

I thought stones could be in an oven no higher than 500. I bake at 475 all the time.

I always do my bacon at 425 for 20 minutes.

Okay, that helps. I'll add the bar pan back into the lineup ...

Thanks, girls!

JAE said:
I thought stones could be in an oven no higher than 500. I bake at 475 all the time.
I can't find the maximum temperature in the product use and care. I baked my bacon at 425 for about 25 minutes, and I think I'll go for a higher temp next time. It wasn't crispy enough except for one corner. My oven does not cook evenly. VERY annoying! (But I like the 12" burner option, specifically for my family skillet.)

Related to Flattening Bacon Without a Grill Press: Fixing 10 Pounds Quickly

1. How do I flatten bacon without a grill press?

To flatten bacon without a grill press, you can use a heavy bottomed pan or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the bacon strips on the pan or baking sheet, cover with another sheet of parchment paper, and use a rolling pin to gently roll over the bacon until it is flattened to your desired thickness.

2. Can I use a regular pan instead of a grill press to flatten bacon?

Yes, you can use a regular pan to flatten bacon. Just make sure it has a heavy bottom and is large enough to fit the bacon strips without overlapping.

3. How much weight should I apply when flattening bacon without a grill press?

You don't need to apply too much pressure when using a pan or baking sheet to flatten bacon. Gently roll the rolling pin over the bacon until it is flattened to your liking.

4. How long does it take to flatten 10 pounds of bacon without a grill press?

The time it takes to flatten 10 pounds of bacon without a grill press will vary depending on the size of your pan or baking sheet, and the thickness of the bacon strips. It may take several batches, but it should not take more than 15-20 minutes per pound of bacon.

5. Can I reuse the parchment paper when flattening bacon without a grill press?

Yes, you can reuse the parchment paper when flattening bacon without a grill press. Just make sure to wipe off any excess grease or bacon bits before using it again.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wcsis
  • Kitchen Diva
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies
Views
babywings76