• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Finding the Right Cell Phone Plan for Us

In summary, DH and I are looking at new cell plans - which means a new phone. DH recommends the Storm or the Curve, depending on what he/she wants. The Storm has a full keyboard, while the Curve takes a little while to get used to typing on, but offers more features. Cingular offers a texting plan for $4.99 per phone for 200 text, $30 for unlimited text for all our phones, and a PDA plan which is unlimited everything is $50 per phone.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
DH and I are looking at new cell plans - which means a new phone :thumbup:

We are going to be entering the word of 'texting' and I need a keyboard that I can actually see! I know I want a blackberry too. Do you recommend the Storm or the Curve? Why?

I'm going to go completely away from all those and just say I LOVE :love: my samsung rant. It's the adult version of the LG Rumor. Of course we got a data plan and use the email, internet and unlimited text, so I'm sure it all depends upon what you want. It's a lot cheaper than the blackberry also.

I also have quick links to myspace and facebook if that means anythign to you.

Sorry for the hijack on something you didn't ask.

one thing to think about if you are a data user. blackberrys are all or none and it is an extra 30 per line on other non blackberry phones they have data plans as low as 10 or 15 per line.
I have the curve and the pearl (personal and office) I have not played with the storm since it is so new. I like the tried and true of the curve never a problem and full keyboard unlike the pearl where you have 2 letters per key

I love my blackberry storm. It takes a little while to get used to typing on it, but I really like all the features. I think it has the biggest "keys" of all the blackberries.

Symara said:
I'm going to go completely away from all those and just say I LOVE :love: my samsung rant. It's the adult version of the LG Rumor. Of course we got a data plan and use the email, internet and unlimited text, so I'm sure it all depends upon what you want. It's a lot cheaper than the blackberry also.

I also have quick links to myspace and facebook if that means anythign to you.

Sorry for the hijack on something you didn't ask.

do you have full internet capability?

I love my curve. And depending on what plan you get I have seen them free with new contracts. I have Tmobile (if you sign though them you can use me as a reference) and they are one of the few or maybe the only that has wi-fi. So, I can tap into my home wireless connection and make as many calls on it without having those minutes come out of my plan.
I was hesitant about the $30 extra a month. I was able to cut out some features I had when I added it though, so for me it really only ended up being $15 more than what I was paying. I'm amazed how often I use it! Facebook, myspace, directions, phone numbers, email! It's just handy.

I have the Curve and I LOVE it!!!!

With Cingular, I do not have to get the PDA plan to be able to text, that is just if I want internet access. There is a texting plan for $4.99 per phone for 200 text, $30 for unlimited text for all our phones including picture and IM text and then the PDA plan whichis unlimited everything is $50 per phone. I have the "pay per text" plan b/c I do not text that often. It is .20 per text and I do not even spend $5 a month, so, I have never added a plan to it. Although I am thinking of adding the $4.99 plan but I would have to add it to mine and Russell.

I got mine for FREE by adding the $30 plan for one month and then I canceled it after the first month.

I'm not sure what you mean by full internet. If you mean show every page, no... it won't show pages if they are too large, and sometimes doesn't show the whole page, but usually works if I'm just trying to find something real quick. If there is a mobile site for the place you are going to, it automatically connects to that sight, like ticket master, circuit city, and ebay all have that type.

I love my curve. By the way, I love my curve. Oh, did I tell you how much I love my curve? Oh yeah, I love my curve.

I absolutely love my curve!! It is the best thing!! I have AT&T (formerly Cingular) and have the data plan... I cannot tell you how many time the email feature comes in handy... I have been on my way to shows and something important comes through like when my host had an emergency and had to postpone her show a couple of hours... I was already on my way and she contacted me through email... whew, saved me much hassle! And the best thing ever is the "Blackberry messenger" it comes with the data plan and it is similar to Yahoo Msgr, in the way you can text message and it doesn't cost you any text charges... I had over 10,000 BB messages last cycle because my husband, whole family and a bunch of friends have Blackberry's. Not to mention that the Curve has a camera and video camera too!! can you imagine what my text bill would be...

I would look into the costs of signing with a data plan vs the normal fee and how many texts you send...

Curve Pros::thumbup: full qwerty keyboard, actual keys, camera, video, memory card capable, able to receive photos from other cell users regardless if text or other BB, fun colors, easy to use. very sturdy phone (dropped out of pocket onto cement when hanging c'mas lights, nothing happened)

Curve Cons::thumbdown: not all websites accessible

Storm Pros::thumbup: New touch screen, similar to iphone. G3, camera, video, switch screen from tall to long...

Storm Cons::thumbdown: the touch screen is very hard to type on, if you have nails, it is even worse as it only works with a finger pad. (like iphone), since it is new there are many bugs to work out and many system errors. (friend on 5th Storm since they came out, as the errors fry the phone and numerous hours spent on the phone with them for fixes)
very delicate,(drop it an you are a buying a new one).

FYI: around Valentine's day AT&T puts the red and pink curve on sale... it might be beneficial for you to wait a week or so...

Good luck, whatever you get, I m sure you will love it!!

Last edited:
love MY I-PHONE

My BF got the Storm right when it was first released. He loves it. Right now w/ his wriste broken he has a tough time "typing" but he really likes everything about it. He had a Motorola Q before this and really liked that as well, but when he got the manager spot at work they wanted all managers to have a Blackberry. He has the full internet package and uses it all the time. It is great when I am driving and we weren't sure where we were supposed to go..I wanted to stop for directions...he looked everything up on his phone.

I don't know much about the Curve...but the Storm is excellent.

Are they both 3g capable? I hate it when my Iphone switches back when 3g isnt available.
And yes out in the boondocks of WV we do have areas of 3g. :)

I got a Storm in December and wound up taking it back. I found it to be more frustrating than anything. I've heard they've put some patches through to fix some of the latency problems. The hardest thing about not having tactile keys is trying to drive and dial. LOL.

I have a Motorola Q now and love it. Very simple and user friendly. It might not play video like the Storm does, but I can make a phone call and check my email.

pampermejolene said:
I love my curve. And depending on what plan you get I have seen them free with new contracts.

I have Tmobile (if you sign though them you can use me as a reference) and they are one of the few or maybe the only that has wi-fi. So, I can tap into my home wireless connection and make as many calls on it without having those minutes come out of my plan.
I was hesitant about the $30 extra a month. I was able to cut out some features I had when I added it though, so for me it really only ended up being $15 more than what I was paying. I'm amazed how often I use it! Facebook, myspace, directions, phone numbers, email! It's just handy.

Jolene,
Help me understand this b/c I have TMbobile as well but didn't know about this feature. IF I am at home, I can tap into my WiFi (I do this sometimes when TM Edge is not working) and then my calls made are not take out of my minutes??

So Linda what did you get?

I just got the Storm today - haven't used it much yet. I have 30 days to exchange it if I don't like it. Couldn't decide between it and the Curve. The salesmen said the screen was the plus on the Storm w/browsing internet and sending emails. I'll have to see.

I got mine for free since I'm a VIP of Verizon. I got a $100 credit toward any phone. They were buy one get one free so my daughter got one. I'm making her pay 1/2 which is $100. I got the better deal, but I've been paying her cell phone bill for 4 years!

Last edited:
I got the curve.

I really wanted the storm but verizon couldn't transfer my number so I am not going to swtich to them so I ended up getting the curve and I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH IT !!!!!

Funny, I just got my first blackberry through Sprint. I got the Curve and still trying to figure out all the capabilities.

With Sprint, we get a corporate discount of 17% off our bill. :) Yay!

My Wonderful Hubby bought me my storm when they first came out. It was a Christmas gift. I fell hardcore in LuV with it. She's all decked out with a hardcase I bought off Amazon.com . White with cute little pink flowers. I love being able to be online ALL THE TIME!!! I get all my emails . Myspace and Facebook are wonderful to keep up with my loved ones. Loads of goodies on this phone.
~HolLy

I got the Storm and I too was so frustrated with it. I took it back and I'm getting the Curve. I'm hoping it will be better than the Storm. My friend has one and she loves it. It's my new every 2 so I'm getting it for free with verizon and I get the 18% discount through my employer even though I'm on job attached lay off status.

Judy

pamperedlinda said:
DH and I are looking at new cell plans - which means a new phone :thumbup:

We are going to be entering the word of 'texting' and I need a keyboard that I can actually see! I know I want a blackberry too. Do you recommend the Storm or the Curve? Why?

I own a Curve and a Pearl... LOVE the keyboard on the Curve- is the Storm the next grade up from a curve? If so, get that one- if it is the phone I think it is, it is amazing!

I'm loving my Storm, of course I haven't tried the Curve though! I like the larger screen on the Storm. The keyboard is a little hard to get the hang of, but I'm getting better. If you have long nails you won't want the Storm because you have to use your fingers.

1. What factors should we consider when choosing a cell phone plan?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a cell phone plan, including the coverage area of the carrier, the amount of data and minutes included in the plan, the cost, and any additional features or perks offered by the plan.

2. How do we determine our data and minutes needs?

To determine your data and minutes needs, consider your typical usage habits. If you frequently use your phone for streaming videos or music, you may need a higher data plan. If you primarily use your phone for calls and texts, a lower data plan may suffice. You can also review your past phone bills to get an idea of your average usage.

3. Should we opt for a contract or a prepaid plan?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and budget. A contract plan typically offers a discounted phone price, but you are locked into a certain carrier and plan for a set amount of time. Prepaid plans offer more flexibility and no long-term commitment, but the upfront cost of the phone may be higher.

4. Are there any hidden fees or charges to watch out for?

It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of any cell phone plan before signing up. Some common hidden fees to look out for include activation fees, early termination fees, and charges for exceeding data or minute limits. Be sure to read the fine print and ask your carrier about any potential fees.

5. Can we bring our own devices to a new plan?

Yes, many carriers allow you to bring your own device to a new plan. However, the device must be compatible with the carrier's network. You may also need to have the device unlocked from your previous carrier. Be sure to check with the carrier beforehand to ensure your device will work with their network.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Poll
  • rbvernon
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
rbvernon
Replies
Views
Kodeysmom
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat