• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I overcome my fear of using a mandoline after a serious injury?

In summary, the host has a fear of using the mandoline because she sliced her finger almost all the way off on an older version of the mandoline. She is now scared of using it and does not know how to overcome her fear. She recommends watching the demo video and practicing at home to get use to the mandoline.
alustizanicole
While using the mandoline to cut an apple I somehow sliced the tip of my finger almost all the way off. I now have 5 stitches in my finger and nerve damage. I am terrified of even looking at the mandoline and not sure how to get over my fear of using it. I love the mandoline and think it's a great product but I'm afraid I will have a hard time selling it due to being scared of it.

Has anyone had this problem before or a similar one and if so how did you get over it?? It's not like I can tell this story to my customers I think it would freak them out.

Anything would help! Thank you!

Is this on the new mandoline or an older version? With the new one, you should be using the food holder and then you won't be able to cut yourself. There is a demo video on CC that you can watch. They give good tips. But practice at home a few times. It gets easier with practice. Also, I hardly ever demo the mandoline. Most hosts buy the already shredded cheese, and if not, you can always use the rotary grater. :D

I agree, if you're using the Ultimate Mandoline, not the old Ultimate Slice & Grate, you should always be using both pieces of the food holder, and you won't be able to cut yourself. I also second watching the video.

I demo the mandolin at every show! get alot of bookings for it. i always tell them i would never use a mandolin until this one, because you have to use the food holder for it to work.

Thank you all. I was using the old mandoline from ten plus years ago. I watched the demo and I still don't know how I managed to cut myself.

alustizanicole said:
Thank you all. I was using the old mandoline from ten plus years ago. I watched the demo and I still don't know how I managed to cut myself.

I'm sure that it was because you were using the old one... the new one has the safety thingy that prevents you from cutting yourself....

I can sympathize!!!!!! I actually did it with the NEW one! I was doing a demo, and was talking about the mandoline. I was explaining the safety mechanisms in place, and was showing the guests by sliding the food holder over the blade- but I didn't have the plunger in place - so they could see the blade pop-up/down. Unfortunately, my finger wasn't where it should have been. A 4 hr ER visit later (no stitches....wouldn't have helped)- but my finger is shaped funny now :)That was in June. I still get very nervous and am VERY CAREFUL when I use it - check and double check the tool and that all pieces are where they should be. I threw away my old mandoline blades and kept only the cheese-grater (use it to grate soap for making laundry detergent). I was showing my mom the UM that I just got her because she too cut her self badly on the old one. I was so nervous showing it to her! (ironically, the host where it happened, she was my first recruit! Signed the next day! LOL)But I'm getting better! I at least use it. I still haven't used it at a show though! You will be able to- with time. :)
It's a lesson learned! and one I won't forget (I still have a slight numb-sensation in that area and a nasty scar).

I had a show last week where one of the guests said that they had the old one and almost lost the tip of her finger using it. She was pretty annoyed and said that p chef should offer some sort of rebate for a trade in. While I know that there are many companies out there who sell mandolines with out guards, I know what a reputable company p chef is. The company stands behind its products. So, I think that a rebate would be the right thing to do because p chef realizes how dangerous the old one can be. Wish they would do this - send back your old one and get a $15 credit... something like that. something like that. can only help with customer loyalty.

doughmama said:
I had a show last week where one of the guests said that they had the old one and almost lost the tip of her finger using it. She was pretty annoyed and said that p chef should offer some sort of rebate for a trade in. While I know that there are many companies out there who sell mandolines with out guards, I know what a reputable company p chef is. The company stands behind its products. So, I think that a rebate would be the right thing to do because p chef realizes how dangerous the old one can be. Wish they would do this - send back your old one and get a $15 credit... something like that. something like that. can only help with customer loyalty.

I think that is a great idea! Have you suggested it?

yes, on the phone to HO but I will send it in. Maybe anyone who agrees can do this as well.

PC does stand behind their product. I don't think they'll come out with a rebate system, but I do know that they have paid for medical bills for customers who have hurt themselves. I don't know the details, and I don't know the criteria, I just know that I've heard that they've done so. Not that it's something you'll want to advertise to your customers.

NooraK said:
PC does stand behind their product. I don't think they'll come out with a rebate system, but I do know that they have paid for medical bills for customers who have hurt themselves. I don't know the details, and I don't know the criteria, I just know that I've heard that they've done so. Not that it's something you'll want to advertise to your customers.
Yeah..>i wouldn't tell many people that. I would bet it happened at a cooking show and fell under the liability insurance coverage.If PC wasn't such a great company, most wouldn't even consider it if it was a place like Williams Sonoma or Target- who sell similar products that are designed the SAME as our old mandoline. How long has that one been gone?? PC can't really be blamed if we/customers use a product incorrectly. The old one was also supposed to use the food slider/holder just as much as the new one. Only you could get away with NOT using it- so many of us did.

I love my mandoline. I've never seen or used an UM SLice and Grate. So I don't have any comparisons. I demo the mandoline whenever possible. I used it last night and intend to use it again tomorrow for Rush Hour Chicken Fajitas. I always get someone willing to try it after I use it and always love it. The only complaint I ever get which came up last night is you can't change the thickness of what you get. I have never cut myself on it but do know that some of the more seasoned veterans in my cluster often talk about how much they prefer old style and hate the mandoline!

I actually had a friend cut off almost her entire fingernail on the Ultimate Mandoline at my grand opening party! Eeek. My kitchen is tiny and it was a bit chaotic filled with about 10 gals in a 6'x6' space. She had the Mandoline laying flat down on the counter (why she dropped the easel back down I don't know) and was slicing away at an onion and letting it just pile up underneath it.I saw what she was doing and rushed over just as she cut herself...there was about an inch of onion stuck under the blade. So the blade never clicked back down after the food holder slid away. So that pretty much negated the safety part of it. Ugh. But at least I have a tip to give people when they're using it. What I thought was a common sense tip...but obviously not that common!!

What is a mandoline and how does it work?

A mandoline is a kitchen tool used for slicing and julienning fruits and vegetables with precision. It consists of a flat surface with adjustable blades that can be set to different thicknesses. The food is placed on the surface and pushed against the blades using a sliding motion to create even slices or matchstick cuts.

Why do people have a fear of using the mandoline?

Many people are afraid of using a mandoline because of the sharp blades and the potential for injury. The thought of slicing through food and possibly cutting a finger can be daunting for some.

How can I safely use a mandoline?

To safely use a mandoline, it is important to always use the hand guard provided and keep your fingers away from the blades. It is also recommended to wear a cut-resistant glove for added protection. Additionally, make sure the mandoline is on a stable surface and take your time when slicing to avoid any accidents.

What types of foods can I slice with a mandoline?

A mandoline can be used to slice a variety of fruits and vegetables, including potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, apples, and more. Some mandolines also come with special attachments for slicing softer foods like tomatoes or for creating waffle cuts.

Do I need any special skills to use a mandoline?

No, you do not need any special skills to use a mandoline. However, it is important to read the instruction manual and practice with the hand guard before using it on your own. With some practice, you will become comfortable and confident in using the mandoline.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvmypomeranian
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • clshirk
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenapc
  • Bill Faber