• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fainting Scare at Party - Lessons Learned

In summary, the conversation is about the person's tendency to faint and how discussing surgeries and medical procedures triggers it for them. They share an embarrassing experience at a party where they almost passed out and how they usually avoid these conversations. They also mention getting two bookings at the party, and a past guest who will be hosting a party in May. Other participants in the conversation share their own experiences with fainting and how they handle it.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I almost passed out at my show today! I am prone to fainting and there are things that trigger it. Well, 4-5 people at the party today had some kind of surgery or wound that they felt like they all needed to talk about and show everyone before the party. That's one thing that gets me every time. Usually if it's people I know, I will ask them to stop talking about it while I'm there but I don't know these people and didn't want to be rude. So I tried to keep myself occupied and not listen to them but I felt myself getting really hot and dizzy. I tried to sit down outside for a little bit and finally went in and asked the host if I could lay down. I didn't tell them what was wrong, just said I wasn't feeling very well (I could feel that I was seconds from passing out!). I laid down for about 5 mintues and felt better. But I was so embarrased!!! I kept apologizing but of course they were all understanding. I did fine during the show but felt extremely exhausted afterwards and needed to eat something. This is what usually happens if I pass out so I knew that I needed to get out of there as soon as the show was over. I still feel bad for the host - you invite some stranger (I had only met her once before) into your house who about passes out on you!

On the bright side, I got two bookings at the party and a past guest who finally returned my call today about having a party in May!

Wow - that's awful that you almost faint from that kind of talk! You'd never be able to come to dinner at my parent's house - my mom is a critical care nurse, so I'm used to that kind of talk, but I can see how it could trigger fainting in others. Glad you realized what was going on and you were able to lay down!!

I am glad ( not glad to hear what happened to you) to hear that I am not the only one who gets faint from that kind of stuff. My DH thinks I am nuts!!
He said he never heard of that happening to anyone and it was all in my head.
Sorry that happened to you and I hope you are feeling better :)

Cathy,
Are you and I related???? My dad is a paramedic and I don't think one meal went by without discussing his runs. Makes for interesting dinner conversations when you bring a date over.

Don't worry about it...you got 2 bookings. Just hopefully they won't be having the same converstions at the next show..or worse a slide show:eek:

merego said:
I am glad ( not glad to hear what happened to you) to hear that I am not the only one who gets faint from that kind of stuff. My DH thinks I am nuts!!
He said he never heard of that happening to anyone and it was all in my head.
Sorry that happened to you and I hope you are feeling better :)
It's not like it really bothers me to hear the talk but it gets me every time! I've passed out several times from seeing or hearing people talk about sugeries and stuff. I've also passed our from getting blood drawn or shots. It had been a long time since I passed out but last November, my BIL had jaw surgery and we went over to see him. Within 20 minutes I was flat out on the floor. Freaked DH really bad, we have been together for 5 years and I hadn't fainted since before that. I woke up to him crying, screaming for someone to call 911! I always told him that if I pass out, not to worry I usually come back quickly. I'm pretty good at recognizing the triggers and my body now that I can tell if I have. I've stopped myself at least twice from fainting because of that.

I have a friend whose feet start to hurt if blood, surgery or anything of that nature is discussed. We've been friends for a million years and I can remember in sophomore health class her constantly rubbing her feet together and fidgeting during the really "gross" stuff. Funny memories! Sorry this happens to you. I love the gross stuff, so I don't get it, but I'm still sorry it happens to you:)

daniellemorgan said:
I have a friend whose feet start to hurt if blood, surgery or anything of that nature is discussed. We've been friends for a million years and I can remember in sophomore health class her constantly rubbing her feet together and fidgeting during the really "gross" stuff. Funny memories! Sorry this happens to you. I love the gross stuff, so I don't get it, but I'm still sorry it happens to you:)
I always wanted to be a nurse or a cop but I know that those two professions would have a lot of blood and stuff!!

wadesgirl said:
I always wanted to be a nurse or a cop but I know that those two professions would have a lot of blood and stuff!!
LOL! I had a vision of you apprehending someone and he's bleeding and you saying "hey, can you hold on here a minute while I lay down here, now don't you go anywhere!":eek: ;) I can see why you changed your mind! LOL:p :D
I've never fainted.... have been extrememly light headed and after my c-section with my daughter, when I stood up, everything started to go black and I just sat right back down!
I'm glad your show ended up with some bookings! Obviously they understood! I'm sorry you had that experience! ;)

About 1/2 of us on my mom's side are like that. Some worse than others, me included! The other 1/2 that's not like that are all nurses, EMTs, etc. Go figure!

I'm sorry you went through that, but at least you know what's going on!

I started out in nursing school and needless to say, I didn't last long :)
I then switched my major to finance.

MissChef said:
LOL! I had a vision of you apprehending someone and he's bleeding and you saying "hey, can you hold on here a minute while I lay down here, now don't you go anywhere!":eek: ;) I can see why you changed your mind! LOL:p :D
I've never fainted.... have been extrememly light headed and after my c-section with my daughter, when I stood up, everything started to go black and I just sat right back down!
I'm glad your show ended up with some bookings! Obviously they understood! I'm sorry you had that experience! ;)
Exactly! What kind of emergency person could I be if I was the one needing help?!

merego said:
I started out in nursing school and needless to say, I didn't last long :)
I then switched my major to finance.
My sister has been a nurse for over 13 years. When I was just a kid, she would take me to school with her. One day they were practicing giving each other shots. One asked me if she could draw my blood. I told her no because I was a fainter. She said "Good, we can have practice on a fainter!" No way!!!!!

In those situations were gross things are being discussed I end up feeling queasy and throwing up! :yuck: I have the weakest stomach ever! :eek: I wish all I did was faint...

Kristina21 said:
In those situations were gross things are being discussed I end up feeling queasy and throwing up! :yuck: I have the weakest stomach ever! :eek: I wish all I did was faint...
I think I would rather throw up than faint! I'm always worn out and hungry after I faint. The first thing I do is eat then I go to bed!

What happened at the party?

At the party, one of the guests experienced a fainting spell. This was a result of standing for an extended period of time in a crowded and hot room, combined with not eating enough and possibly consuming alcohol.

What steps can be taken to prevent fainting at a party?

To prevent fainting at a party, it is important to make sure the room is well-ventilated and not too hot. Encourage guests to take breaks and sit down if they start to feel lightheaded. Providing plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages can also help prevent fainting.

What should be done if someone faints at a party?

If someone faints at a party, it is important to remain calm and call for medical assistance if necessary. Lay the person down on their back and elevate their legs to improve blood flow to the brain. Loosen any tight clothing and make sure the person has plenty of fresh air. If the person does not regain consciousness within a few minutes, seek medical help.

How can I be prepared for a fainting spell at a party?

To be prepared for a fainting spell at a party, it is a good idea to have a first aid kit on hand. It is also important to have someone designated to call for medical help if needed. Educate yourself on the signs and symptoms of fainting and be ready to assist if necessary.

What are some other important safety tips for hosting a party?

In addition to being prepared for a fainting spell, there are other important safety tips to keep in mind when hosting a party. Make sure there is a designated driver or provide alternative transportation for guests who have been drinking. Keep an eye on any potential hazards, such as slippery floors or tripping hazards. And always have a plan in case of emergencies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sailorsarah
  • SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U