• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring the Mac: Weighing the Pros and Cons

In summary, people who own Macs love them for their graphic design and web design capabilities. However, they do not recommend them to people who are not familiar with computers and software.
erinyourpclady
Gold Member
Does anyone own a Mac? How do you feel about it.....
We have been PC users for years and are thinking about getting a Mac. I am not even sure if PP is compatible to Mac's but I thought I would ask y'all.....

I LOVE my macs!! but I do a lot of graphic design and web design, and it handles my huge files and multiple programs so much better than a PC. With that being said, it is a huge transition, so different then a PC... but I would still suggest one to anyone! The new macs (almost all) have the intel core duo2 chip...which will allow you to run a free software program called bootcamp. (Bootcamp is at beta right now, and will be included in the next operating system release) this allows you to install (your own) copy of Windows XP on it. When you turn the computer on, you push down alt and you are presented with a choice of Windows or Mac to boot up. the pain is that you have to restart your cmoputer to get between the 2. but the nice thing is that programs like PP you can use on the windows side but still own a mac!! (and almost all programs that you have for PC won't work on the Mac side...only on the windows side...example: microsoft office, etc....so be careful with that unless you want to restart all of the time) I am working onthe windows side right now on my laptop for work, and it works GREAT! there is ap rogram called parallels that allows you to run both operating systems at once, but there are A LOT of bugs, and you have to buy it...not worth it to me! It will be evnetually included in the OS....I'll wait until then!

I was recently debating between these two as well. Mac has a new version coming out i think in feb. with this version you can buy window's xp and put it on and it will run both. You can do this with the current version you just have to download it for free from the mac website. I had talked to my cousin who grew up using mac and now uses window's and she said that she would never buy another but a dell. I ended up going with a dell as well and I love it (we have a pc and a laptop)

Why are you thinking of going with a mac?

erinyourpclady said:
Does anyone own a Mac? How do you feel about it.....
We have been PC users for years and are thinking about getting a Mac. I am not even sure if PP is compatible to Mac's but I thought I would ask y'all.....

Erin, my DH is a Graphic Artist and SWEARS for graphic compatability, MAC is the way to go. But thats it. He has MAC laptop and a PC and uses his PC for everything else for that reason. he says there atre so many things (software, programs, etc) that are not mac compatable, its to much hassle. Im not sure this helps you, but I am just letting you know at he expierences.:)

I have been using macintosh computers since I was in high school. I use them at work on a daily basis and at home for myself. The only thing I hate about Pampered Chef is that I have to use a PC to enter my shows. I am saving money for a mac that runs both operating systems.I think some people are saying around these boards that Pampered Chef is planning on creating a Web-based Pampered Partner? That would be awesome. I wish they would release it soon.

erinyourpclady said:
Does anyone own a Mac?
Yes, I do!
erinyourpclady said:
How do you feel about it...
With my fingers.
erinyourpclady said:
I love my G4 for a whole lot of reasons, not the least of which is that I can add new hardware and it pops up and says, "Oh, I see you've installed a Frammis Whosit Board! Please wait while I confiugre it..." and POOF! the new board gets installed and works. No endless downloading of drivers and spending an afternoon trying to get the !#^%$#! Gatesrosoft OpSys to recognize it.

With the newer models, you'll be able to toggle between Windows and Mac...I've got my eye on one of those babies.

I would think that they would, so that you can access them from anywhere. The fun thing once they do is issues with all of the different browsers that are out there...that will take awhile to work all of the bugs out, so who knows when we would see that.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yes, I do!

With my fingers.

I love my G4 for a whole lot of reasons, not the least of which is that I can add new hardware and it pops up and says, "Oh, I see you've installed a Frammis Whosit Board! Please wait while I confiugre it..." and POOF! the new board gets installed and works. No endless downloading of drivers and spending an afternoon trying to get the !#^%$#! Gatesrosoft OpSys to recognize it.

With the newer models, you'll be able to toggle between Windows and Mac...I've got my eye on one of those babies.

Like I said above, Parallels still has A LOT of bugs to work out - so you wouldn't want to purchase that yet...so you can't quite toggle at this point. I have to restart, hold down the alt/option key and then choose with OS I want to boot up in.....funny thing is that if you don't alt/option it defaults to WINDOWS...on a MAC.... ...and to hear that windows login sound a mac...it is soooo odd!

nikkijo said:
I was recently debating between these two as well. Mac has a new version coming out i think in feb. with this version you can buy window's xp and put it on and it will run both. You can do this with the current version you just have to download it for free from the mac website. I had talked to my cousin who grew up using mac and now uses window's and she said that she would never buy another but a dell. I ended up going with a dell as well and I love it (we have a pc and a laptop)

Why are you thinking of going with a mac?

DH really digs them....

I love love LOVE my Mac! They're far less prone to viruses, trojan horses and spyware than PCs. That said, I do have a PC for PP because the new Mac hardware that can run Windoze wasn't out when I started PC. But when I replace, I'm going all-Mac, all the time! DH has 2 of the newer machines (a laptop and a desktop) and loves them.

(Yes, we're total nerds - 3 running Macs in the house, 1 in the garage and 1 at my in-laws' house plus my PC laptop and several old Macs in the basement graveyard.)
There is another thread about this topic, if you do a search.

Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC. (Love those commercials!) :)

Last edited:
I know where you can get a real deal on a couple of Mac Classics for your museum.

No Web Base!I do not want a web-based ordering system. One of things I love about TPC is that I put orders in OFF LINE, and then transmit the show all at one time. I know with other companies that use web based ordering, it's harder to change an order, and once you start entering a host's order, that's it. You can't stop, you can't change the show order, etc.

I have a VERY SLOW (28.8) land line, with no option of high speed where we are, and I know many people are in the same boat. A web-based ordering system would be a major pain in the butt to me, because it can take a LONG time for pages to load.

That said, I hate change! I know if TPC decides to go to this, I will deal with it. I just hope they don't, or that they provide an "either/or" option

chefann said:
(Yes, we're total nerds - 3 running Macs in the house, 1 in the garage and 1 at my in-laws' house plus my PC laptop and several old Macs in the basement graveyard.)
There is another thread about this topic, if you do a search.

Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC. (Love those commercials!) :)

One in the garage? LOL, is this so the cars don't get lonely at night? :p

nikked said:
That said, I hate change! I know if TPC decides to go to this, I will deal with it. I just hope they don't, or that they provide an "either/or" option

I would expect that the web based version will not replace our other PP. You might want to write to HO letting them know your concerns if PP were to be web-based only.

tlennhoff said:
One in the garage? LOL, is this so the cars don't get lonely at night? :p

No, it's actually so he can look up parts and tech tips online while he's working on the cars. And he's got iTunes, so he uses it as a stereo. We have 3 classic cars that he works on: 1977 Lincoln Sedan, 1970 Mercury Marquis convertible, 1966 Lincoln Continental 4-door convertible. He's also got my old oven in the garage for powder-coating parts. Here's an aerial pic of the house and garage:
http://www.dannann.net/eriamjh/chrometheatre/south.jpg
There are 2 garages, a 2-car, and the green roof is the 4-car that we built 2 years ago. And, yes, that garage is why I don't have my new kitchen yet. :)

chefann said:
No, it's actually so he can look up parts and tech tips online while he's working on the cars. There are 2 garages, a 2-car, and the green roof is the 4-car that we built 2 years ago. And, yes, that garage is why I don't have my new kitchen yet. :)

LOL. That was actually my first guess but I thought keeping the cars from being lonely was funnier. :p

Gotta have a good garage if you have really cool cars, kitchens not as important. :rolleyes:

jenniferknapp said:
Like I said above, Parallels still has A LOT of bugs to work out - so you wouldn't want to purchase that yet...so you can't quite toggle at this point. I have to restart, hold down the alt/option key and then choose with OS I want to boot up in.....funny thing is that if you don't alt/option it defaults to WINDOWS...on a MAC.... ...and to hear that windows login sound a mac...it is soooo odd!

I have been using Parallels with complete success since I started PC in the fall. I too do graphic design so have always been on a mac, but from two years ago until now, we've gone from 1 mac (mine) to 4 (mine, my DH's, and two laptops)... we're addicted! Don't ask how many iPods we have! LOL!

siderits said:
I have been using Parallels with complete success since I started PC in the fall. I too do graphic design so have always been on a mac, but from two years ago until now, we've gone from 1 mac (mine) to 4 (mine, my DH's, and two laptops)... we're addicted! Don't ask how many iPods we have! LOL!

Oh! Well good for you, I work in a tech services area around a lot of real Mac geeks, and they do not suggest Parallels at all at this point...but I haven't personally used it yet....but when it is more widely available, would love it!

nikked said:
I do not want a web-based ordering system. One of things I love about TPC is that I put orders in OFF LINE, and then transmit the show all at one time. I know with other companies that use web based ordering, it's harder to change an order, and once you start entering a host's order, that's it. You can't stop, you can't change the show order, etc.

I have a VERY SLOW (28.8) land line, with no option of high speed where we are, and I know many people are in the same boat. A web-based ordering system would be a major pain in the butt to me, because it can take a LONG time for pages to load.

Nicole - I'm with you! I also don't want a Web-based system! I will often have customers who are concerned about their CC# being sent via the web - and I like being able to tell them that PC has a closed system. (It's not my job to educate them about the safety of web-shopping!)

I concur! I don't want a web-based system either. I like taking my laptop to shows to enter orders without having to worry if I'll be able to connect to the internet while I'm there.

chefann said:
I concur! I don't want a web-based system either. I like taking my laptop to shows to enter orders without having to worry if I'll be able to connect to the internet while I'm there.
Wow! Hadn't even thought of that! Very Good Point.

Related to Exploring the Mac: Weighing the Pros and Cons

1. What are the benefits of using a Mac computer?

Mac computers are known for their sleek design, user-friendly interface, and excellent performance. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other computers, are less prone to viruses, and have a wide range of built-in security features. Additionally, Macs are compatible with other Apple products such as iPhones and iPads, making it easy to sync and transfer data between devices.

2. What are the drawbacks of using a Mac?

One major drawback of using a Mac is the higher cost compared to other computers. Macs also have a limited selection of software and games, as most are designed for Windows. Additionally, some users may find it challenging to switch from a Windows-based computer to a Mac due to the different interface and operating system.

3. Are Macs suitable for gaming?

While Macs are not known for their gaming capabilities, they do have a decent selection of games available. However, many popular games are not compatible with Macs, and the performance may not be as good as a Windows-based computer. If gaming is a top priority, it may be better to choose a Windows computer.

4. What is the difference between a Mac and a PC?

The main difference between a Mac and a PC is the operating system. Macs run on macOS, while PCs run on Windows. Macs also have a more closed and controlled ecosystem, while PCs offer more customization options. Additionally, Macs are designed and manufactured by Apple, while there are many different manufacturers of PCs.

5. Can I run Microsoft Office on a Mac?

Yes, Microsoft Office is available for Mac users. However, there may be some minor differences in the features and interface compared to the Windows version. Additionally, Macs also have their own productivity software, such as Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which are compatible with Microsoft Office files.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Becky0216
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Becky0216
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • byrd1956