• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring the Daisy Girl Scouts: Parent Experiences

In summary, the troop leader makes a HUGE difference. My sister is TL for my nieces' troops, and they always seem to do cool things. I was in GS for 1 year in school, and our leader didn't put any effort into it, so it was a waste of time and money. When I was that age, I was always scouting girls. My oldest DD was in Daisy's and is now a Brownie. She LOVES it! My youngest is already registered for Daisy's since I was a TL in VA! Like Ann said....it is all about the leader. A good one will make all the difference.....but my girls have loved their experiences thus far!
heat123
Silver Member
Any of you have their daughter's in the Girl Scouts? Specifically the Daisy group? My daugther is starting Kindergarten and since I never was apart of that org. growing up, I was wondering if anyone can tell me their child's experience? What they do or what to expect etc. I got a flyer in DDs school reg. packet and was thinking about it for my DD? TIA!

The troop leader makes a HUGE difference. My sister is TL for my nieces' troops, and they always seem to do cool things. I was in GS for 1 year in school, and our leader didn't put any effort into it, so it was a waste of time and money.

When I was that age, I was always scouting girls.

Wow KG you started early:rolleyes:

My oldest DD was in Daisy's and is now a Brownie. She LOVES it! My youngest is already registered for Daisy's since I was a TL in VA! Like Ann said....it is all about the leader. A good one will make all the difference.....but my girls have loved their experiences thus far!

I have my kids in AWANA - one in Sparks and one in Cubbies - they LOVE that!

So basically, depending on your troop leader is what is decided on what they do per meeting? How often do they get together weekly or monthly?

It is once around around here for boy/girl scouts. Basically I think the recommendation of whether they enjoy it is because of the troop leader is because they plan a lot and also make or break the atmosphere of the group.

I've attended some area boy scout nights to teach them first aid for their badge...the dynamic of the group really depends on the leader.

Some groups do great and learn a ton, others are different...

janetupnorth said:
It is once around around here for boy/girl scouts. Basically I think the recommendation of whether they enjoy it is because of the troop leader is because they plan a lot and also make or break the atmosphere of the group.

I've attended some area boy scout nights to teach them first aid for their badge...the dynamic of the group really depends on the leader.

Some groups do great and learn a ton, others are different...
was that once a month or week?

Oops sorry - computer acting up as the screen loads and I type...

Once a week here - off during school vacations or holidays.

Thanks for all the info ladies, I just called the Troop leader for our area I think, but no answer. Will call back again!

From my experience Daisies usually meet once a month (at the most twice a month). They do fun crafts and some field trips. Our Daisies did things like going to see how a post office works, they went to the fire station, a trip to our local pumpkin patch in the Fall, things like that. The idea behind Daisies is to get the girls use to attending meetings and for them to start learning about GS. Every child that I've ever known has enjoyed going.

Something that you might not know. Most GS councils will let a girl atned one (maybe two meetings) before they join (ie. pay any money). You could do this with your daughter and that way you could see how things are run. HTH.

I was an assistant leader for Daisies last year and my daughter loved it. The leader was awesome. As with everything, if the person in charge doesn't put forth the effort to make it fun and educational at the same time, it won't be fun or educational. I am now the Brownie Leader, since my daughter moved up. I chose to do this because my leader when I was a Brownie, was not into it and I wish it would have been more fun. I probably would have stuck with it longer, like my sisters who had better leaders.

chefpenny99 said:
From my experience Daisies usually meet once a month (at the most twice a month). They do fun crafts and some field trips. Our Daisies did things like going to see how a post office works, they went to the fire station, a trip to our local pumpkin patch in the Fall, things like that. The idea behind Daisies is to get the girls use to attending meetings and for them to start learning about GS. Every child that I've ever known has enjoyed going.

Something that you might not know. Most GS councils will let a girl atned one (maybe two meetings) before they join (ie. pay any money). You could do this with your daughter and that way you could see how things are run. HTH.
oh, that's great to know, thanks! When I get ahold of the leader I will ask about that!

I totally agree that it's all about how well the leader "clicks" with the girls, and how into it the leader is. If you have a leader that doesn't give a rip, the girls won't either. Guaranteed! I've seen it way too much in our town. And, FYI - if your daughter joins and doesn't really enjoy her time at the meetings, consider getting involved with the troop. That's what I did 5 years ago. My DD wasn't really having too much fun, the troop was losing leaders, so I signed up. This year my girls are going into 8th grade...we only have 6 that are continuing, we are losing 3. They think that they are too old to be Girl Scouts. Heck, I'm gonna be 40 this year.....I'm still a Girl Scout!!

Dang, we just got back from a trip to Mackinac Island! We had a blast! I'll bet that not a lot of my girls would have had a chance to go there if we wouldn't have gone as a troop.

I hope she joins.....and I hope that she has a great time! Good luck!!

I was never in GS either, but have found myself as one of the leaders since last year! It's funny, there's 4 leaders for my daughter's group (usually about 16 girls in her group!) and only one of us was in it as a child. We have a lot of fun though.

My DD was a Daisy last year she loved it! We did not do much. The troop only had 3 girls that attended regularly. The leader was very nice but Overwhelmed. I was always asking to help with stuff but she was a do it herself kind of gal. We really did nothing special.

Now a friend of mine also had her DD in daisys and did all kinds of stuff!

So yes it has alot to do with the leader. I decided to take the plunge this year and be the Brownie leader. Partly because of my experience last year (I want us to actually do stuff!) And when I was a Brownie my Mom was my leader and we had a A TON of fun! Not many outings but we did lots of projects and learned alot!

I personally quit GS after 3 or 4 years because the leaders we were getting were a joke! (my Mom had to go back to work full time)

Now I will say I am quite nervous about this adventure. I have ALOT on my plate right now and feel like I am "flying Blind!" LOL! I just got my approval from the school to have meetings there after school so that is good. Now to start planning!

Any advice from other fellow scout leaders/ PC'ers is welcome!

Heather.... I ditto what the others have said. Scouting is a great thing to be involved in. I really want my daughter to learn about the world around her and how rewarding it is to work hard and help others.

Ok I'm done... :D

Paulette,

take a deep breath and relax. Brownie Girl Scouts are a LOT of fun!! I guess the most important thing to reember is that it's all about the girls. First year Brownies are obviously too young to know about how the world works..and they might not understand about service work...however, that's an important GS tradition. I joined our troop when our girls were first year Juniors, now they are just going into their 2nd year of Cadettes, so I'm in a little different boat than you are. So, I'll tell you to try not to do too much, or they will get overwhelmed. I don't know how close you are to your local GS Council, but they are a wealth of information. I'll get some advice from some Brownie leaders in my area and let you know what their best advice would be for you. Oh yeah, your girls get to sell cookies this year! How exciting! Make sure that you get another parent to be you cookie mom/dad. You don't need the additional hassle of cookies! Like I said, if I get any great advice, I'll let you know!! Good luck!! You'll be great!! :D

Related to Exploring the Daisy Girl Scouts: Parent Experiences

What are the benefits of joining Daisy Girl Scouts?

Joining Daisy Girl Scouts offers a variety of benefits for both parents and their daughters. It provides opportunities for girls to develop important life skills such as leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving. It also gives parents a chance to bond with their daughters and get involved in their development and growth.

What kind of activities do Daisy Girl Scouts participate in?

Daisy Girl Scouts participate in a wide range of activities, including outdoor adventures, arts and crafts, community service projects, and learning about important life skills. They also have the opportunity to earn badges and participate in special events and trips.

How can parents get involved in Daisy Girl Scouts?

Parents can get involved in Daisy Girl Scouts in various ways, such as volunteering to be a troop leader or co-leader, helping with planning and organizing events, or chaperoning field trips. They can also support their daughters by attending meetings and participating in activities with them.

What is the time commitment for parents in Daisy Girl Scouts?

The time commitment for parents in Daisy Girl Scouts can vary depending on their level of involvement. Typically, parents are expected to attend monthly troop meetings and assist with planning and organizing events. The time commitment can range from a few hours per month to a few hours per week.

How much does it cost to join Daisy Girl Scouts?

The cost to join Daisy Girl Scouts can vary depending on the local council and troop. Generally, the registration fee is around $25-$50, and there may be additional costs for uniforms, badges, and activities. Financial assistance may also be available for families in need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • HealthNut
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
HealthNut
  • etteluap70PC